• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Global Testfire General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynlet

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Guantcynlet
Tried the Splattersho for the entire time. It is extremely balanced and handy. I find it very easy to deal with rollers with it, granted they don't sneak up on you and you are not ganged up on. And it is satisfying to take care of enemies, I almost forgot you need to cover areas. The movement is very fluid and I love the mix of motion and analog controls. The only gripe I have is that there is a limited eye color choice.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
While it is not needed, I really could see why people wanted voice chat. There were a couple maps where i want to give my homies a heads up on an enemy's position or of areas we need to cover, but i couldn't. I know for the most part i'll be playing on skype when with friends, but i would of loved to see the feature there as an option after playing the demo.
Exactly my opinion on it as well.

Shane M

Inkling
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
the thrid playthrough was starting to get good when we had the vets from the other 2 testfires solidifying their game play and doing more advance strategy like high elevated snipers that hide in squid form after taking a shot so people cant pinpoint their location, rollers who hide in their newly covered areas and flingpaint at unsuspecting players. Also the splatjump teching for faster movement across the board for quicker action in contested areas.

I legitimately cant wait for the full release of this game at the end of this month and do some rank battles as soon as its unlocked. I haven't had this much fun in any shooters since I tried tf2, and that was years ago.

Wario Bros.

Full Squid
NNID
WarioBrose
So what y'all think of the game's music? I for one have a strong love for all that played in the demo. Though it was weird that one was trying to sound like a death metal song.

Smooth Criminal

Full Squid
the thrid playthrough was starting to get good when we had the vets from the other 2 testfires solidifying their game play and doing more advance strategy like high elevated snipers that hide in squid form after taking a shot so people cant pinpoint their location, rollers who hide in their newly covered areas and flingpaint at unsuspecting players. Also the splatjump teching for faster movement across the board for quicker action in contested areas.

I legitimately cant wait for the full release of this game at the end of this month and do some rank battles as soon as its unlocked. I haven't had this much fun in any shooters since I tried tf2, and that was years ago.
I noticed a lot of people were also less panicked at the sight of rollers. Once I figured out they weren't juggernauts, I started bumrushing them if they didn't cushion their approach with suction bombs or back-up from teammates. Lotta people seemed to be following my example in the third playthrough.

Smooth Criminal

SirWhynus

Inkster Jr.
I really hope they'll come out and say "hey! The demo is really popular lately! so we'll make it available until this set time, or that set time"

Otherwise, I think they're trying to make you taste a bit of it, so you buy the full game, and make the DLC seem like it really adds "umph" to the game, seeing as the testfire standalone, is really good apparently.

Wario Bros.

Full Squid
NNID
WarioBrose
So Splatoon is shining brightly on Amazon sales across the world, with several regions hit the top spot of video game charts.

Awesome to hear. No doubt the Testfire Demo was a major contributor to this.

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
I was so impressed with lack of lag. I have appalling internet speed and aside from one disconnection mid-game, I didn't suffer anything like that which was great!

The roller is so rewarding to use but damn it's easy to **** up.

NormalBear

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NormalB3ar
The testfire was fun as heck, I easily picked up the splattershot jr. and my comment on the roller, didn't have much of an issue against them, just be aware, shoot from above or the a bomb.

Wozenbelt

Inkling
NNID
Wozenbelt
Splattershot Sr. was fun. Seeing as everyone in the testfire had the same movement speed, I realized that if a roller is already out of melee range, I can just back up and shoot them for free.

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
Now that I made my general impressions video I can actually type a response to this thread!

Controls and movement

So first things first I'd like to point out I think the controls were great. I didn't utilize Y to recenter my reticle much but probably should have. But every other action seemed to be mapped to the perfect button. I'm unsure if the developers will support custom button layouts but I don't really see myself changing it even if they do. It felt natural switching in between squid and kid form after a couple games. I had gyro controls off because off where I sit in correlation to my television (made it a bit difficult at the angle from my desk) and found because of the WiiU tablet being larger than other controllers I've used before I was most comfortable at the lowest sensitivity (-5 I think it was). All in all this game feels very fast paced and just getting around the map is a blast.

Maps and Turfwar Strategies

We only had two maps in the GTF but both played very differently for the given gametype Turfwar. While on Walleye Warehouse it was simplified to keeping the enemy pushed back and watch your flanks, Saltspray Rig is a prime example of a map I wish I had voice communications. As the Direct on 5.7.15 suggested, if you're not careful, an enemy team can snag a victory using the bottom portion if you just focus on the top and vice versa. Another thing I wanted to point out about Turfwar in general, while the objective is to have the most floor covered with your team's ink, I think it should be prioritized to paint over enemy ink than find unmarked turf in most situations. The same amount of BP is acquired and you are disrupting the enemies total BP. While this isn't ALWAYS the best case, it is something to keep in mind post launch.

Online Connectivity and Netplay

I admit because i hadn't played the game myself I was worried about lag. But the GTF quelled these concerns. In game I not once experienced any lag to the point I forgot I was playing an online game. I did run into maybe 5 or seven connection errors while matchmaking, but most of the time downtime between games ranged from only about 20-40 seconds on average. I think this is awesome considering every match I finished I just wanted to jump back into the action. So giving the option to queue back up from past game stats is a great feature in my opinion.

Weapons and Loadouts

While first instinct is to scalpel out the 'worst' weapons and put everything in tiers, keep in mind the final build of the game has custom loadouts with various Ability modifiers on the gear we equip. This can change how effective a weapon is compared to how it performed in the GTF. So I can't say what I think is the best. I can however say I believe every weapon has general strengths and weaknesses, but Roller and the Shooters were highly effective in Turfwar.

This does not mean I think Roller is overpowered in the slightest. The only thing I think needs to adjusted with the roller is how quickly they can fill their special meter. An example I saw in a match was a roller was able to acquire their Killer Wail only a few seconds into the game without entering the center playing field. I think it should take roller a a bit more BP before using the specials or Kraken/Roller looping could turn into an issue (worst case hypothetical scenario).

I do think the Charger is not that strong in Turfwar because it ends up playing a supportive role. You can paint entire small hallways and lengths with one charge and your ink refills very quickly (or at least in that loadout it did), but it has real trouble because of the charge time and the range actually being shorter than projected. To call this weapon a Sniper I think is a misconception. it's more of a scouting rifle because focusing on hunting enemies with it guarantees low BP and most likely a loss.

Overall I think the customization in the loadouts are really going to play an important role in determining what is "good" and what is "bad" after May 29th.

Other stuff

Initially I thought the games were too short at three minutes, but after a few matches I realized what the short time limit did was cause a sense of urgency. Every second I felt I had to be pushing, painting and moving because that second couldn't be spared doing nothing. But I believe Ranked Splat Zone time limit is a bit longer, as it should be since it's more central objective focused rather than all over the map. I really wish there was an option to adjust sensitivity in game, but this is a minor gripe. My impressions of the game itself have been very positive, more than expected. I hope to see you guys in 19 days. And remember I will see you on the canvas!

Video and Gameplay for those interested....

Last edited:

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
So what y'all think of the game's music? I for one have a strong love for all that played in the demo. Though it was weird that one was trying to sound like a death metal song.
I had a grin on my face when that one came on. Isn't the soundtrack supposed to be the music the Inkling kids listen to? if so that's just...great.

Inklings and their crazy music!

Ameise

Inkling
NNID
SandanTrainer
I love the music! It is something I liked from the very first trailer I saw. The metal song you are referring too was first featured in some ranked battle gameplay I watched and it is my very favourite. I thought it was exclusive to ranked battle so I was very surprised and pleased to hear it in the demo.
Just love its rough sound. But that may be because I'm listening to metal sort of music myself.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
The music is pretty great! I love the inclusion of varying styles of them, really does help the idea that the Inklings have their own preferences where some Inklings listen to HARDCORE METAL while others listen to pop upbeat songs by Callie and Marie.

Kami

Inkling
Australia seemed to have some tiny latency issues (only with certain players since we get matched with Japanese players regularly as well). There were a few occasions where a roller would be coming at me and I'd just move backwards with splattershot while shooting to get the kill. Then 2 seconds later I'd randomly just explode and it would come up saying I had been killed by the splat roller lol (so I assume on their screen they did hit me with it). So Oceania may not be as lucky as the US with perfect net play so I really hope lan events are possible for this.

Also to the people saying rollers are OP, it's pretty easy for anyone half decent with a ranged wep to kill them lol, overall I think the balancing is really well done and the game is amazingly fun, so glad to see that there was no lag on human to squid transformation, made the movement of this game amazing.

Reactions: AEM

Life

Senior Squid
The death metal parody is adorable, like almost everything else in this game LOL

Also to be brutally honest, you can tell who isn't good at this game by who complains about roller being too strong

SquidisaWard

Full Squid
NNID
KaBlamJamDan
I really enjoy the demo!

I used all the weapons that were available in the demo but I mainly used the Paint Roller and the Splattershot Jr. I found the Splattershot Jr. to be extremely useful due to the shield being the special weapon.

I got ganged up by three people so I turn on my shield, and BAM! They been rambo'd. Also, if you are near your teammates when you active the shield, they will get one as well! It probably gonna be my go to special weapon when the game release.

The online mode went pretty swimmingly (no pun intended) and I only got one communication error. There were couple of times where I'll be shooting my Ink and it doesn't appear for couple of seconds, however.

I was bummed out that this game won't have voice chat, but from the 2 hours I got from the demo, I don't think it really needed? I feel like everyone know what they should be doing by taking a look at the map and being like "Okay , someone is painting on the bottom section, I should take care of it". The quick messages also does a well enough job, too. I used the "C'mon!" Message a lot if I want someone to back me up while I'm painting at the opponent's base or getting someone else to paint an area due to them having a more effective weapon.

All in all, this is shaping up to be one of Nintendo's great IPs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom