Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
What the o_O I didn't know that's possible D= Yeah that's not great....
From being on both sides of it, yeah it's possible. But only if you're like...close to a ledge is all. I haven't seen any major knockback from the burst bombs honestly. And I use them a great deal. I mean I guess a bubbler is the only time I've seen decent knockback on when using the bombs against.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Is this real? Is this a draft or finalized? It looks so delicious! It's like a new challenge mode being unlocked.

I giggled at how out of the charger changes, squiffers and bamboozlers are kinda ignored.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Is this real? Is this a draft or finalized? It looks so delicious! It's like a new challenge mode being unlocked.

I giggled at how out of the charger changes, squiffers and bamboozlers are kinda ignored.
Short of removing it from the game entirely, I don't see how the bamboozler could possibly get nerfed. ;)
((i'm just kidding bamboozler mains i still love you))

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Weaksauce that :splashwall: gets a free pass while :burstbomb: gets chopped in half literally, but I do understand, they were OP and heavily abused, I wont even try to deny it, but I'ma still be upset over this. Pretty much all my mains just got wrecked, and they didn't do anything to compensate my main man the :wst_shot_triplequick01:, infact they nerfed it more with that special reduction. Meh, I know there's no use complaining about it, and I should be happy with the Slosher and Jet Squelcher buffs, so instead I'll do the only thing I can, adapt!

I'm praying to all the gods that two mains of :ability_inksaversub: will be enough to allow for 3x:burstbomb: to be thrown on a full tank. That's generally the amount I'd ever throw at once so it'd be like nothings changed in that regard atleast. To make space on my gear builds, I'm just gonna have to drop :ability_bombrange: as I don't think it's gonna be effective anymore since getting a direct hit from a distance is unlikely so with only two bombs I wont be splatting anything from afar (well unless they're already damaged).

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I'm praying to all the gods that two mains of :ability_inksaversub: will be enough to allow for 3x:burstbomb: to be thrown on a full tank. That's generally the amount I'd ever throw at once so it'd be like nothings changed in that regard atleast. To make space on my gear builds, I'm just gonna have to drop :ability_bombrange: as I don't think it's gonna be effective anymore since getting a direct hit from a distance is unlikely so with only two bombs I wont be splatting anything from afar (well unless they're already damaged).
I know I don't know what to do with my gear, I'd finally settled on damage up, swim speed up, ink resistance and bomb range distributed across them and it was perfect... now... I guess I'll be re-rolling cause bomb range up seems like a bit of a waste =( Maybe I'll use ink saver to try and help my poor burst bombs. Ugh.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Happy about the Burst Bomb nerf, they were too good in close combat. As for the other nerfs, I dont feel some of them are necessary but at least theyre pretty minor. Surprised about the nerf to .96 though. Now it's essentially equivalent to the .52, which doesn't really give an incentive to use that over it. That cements my decision never to use it again(I already disliked it to begin with).

Ochre

Inkling
Ooooh my poor charger heart this update is going to hurt so much, partial shots are so important to my gameplay. Though I guess I'll have to adjust to match. I just hope I'm good enough now to keep being a charger user. :C This update is a huge game changer dang.

Thoughhh... I guess I'll take it if it means .96 gal is kicked off it's throne.
Predicting Custom Jet to become a huge player now. That movement speed will not be overlooked wow. Hydra too, since the really good hydra players already know how to 4-shot, so the 3-shot will be more than pleasant I believe.
Also going to say congrats to the Defense Up meta because it looks like that ability is going to be even more useful than before.
Curious how that "painting effect increase" thing is on the burst bomb though. Hmm...

Here's to more weapon diversity my fellow kids and squids.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
looks like my squiffer buff has come not by increasing range or anything but by nerfing burst bombs and other chargers while leaving the squiffer almost entirely alone. lol

inkmines will be a LOT less painful but without a slight range or time buff or dual mines, they still will likely hang near the bottom. at least you'll be able to reset them whenever you want for less ink.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
I love how they're doing some pretty subtle (for the lack of better word) nerfs.

They nerfed the Tentatek through Special Saving, but not the Splattershot
They buffed the Splattershot Pro range, but not into a new catergory (Only just outside of the current one to create healthier matchups)

I do think SoM has Tentatek Range now.

Inkstrike Buff is great, since it saves so many time.
Not only the time directly shaved off, but also the time you'd spend swimming to the other side of the map for a safe spot (and the time spent swimming back) are cut off

Swim Speed reduction luckily only affects a few weapons that are actually big, instead of having another class system like at Special Saver's

Hydra Buff is great for those who can't aim and would always end up missing a shot.

Special Saver reduction class system might prove to be an easy way to balance weapons, just change the Special Saving rate.
Though this affects some weapons more than others in the same class, since some rely on their special more than others, like as a "get off me" card

Buffs to mains:
N Zap (whatever it means) Inkstrike is buffed though!
Carbon: Long range option gone, but Splash Ink reduced (yess)
New Main: Hydra Splatling! I can't aim but hey, only three hits needed!

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
Jet Squelcher - △Movement speed while firing increased by about 50%.
Custom Jet Squelcher

My biggest issue with this gun has been fixed! I WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE!!!

ArcticWolf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RedGazelle7
Those changes to the 96 was all I wanted. Keep it as a 2 shot kill, but lower the damage just enough to make it a 3 shot kill for people with defence up.
Holy crap that Jet Squelcher change! :scared:

Last edited:

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
Hm, I'm not sure if I love or hate the changes to Burst Bombs. I kinda prefer them as smaller, spammable projectiles. It's one of those things where you probably need to see it in practice before you make your mind up.

With the Burst Bomb changes and the buff to Inkstrike, it might be enough to see people start switching from the Custom Jet Squelcher to the vanilla Jet (yay for buffing those weapons!). Although I may try the Custom and gear up with a buttload of Ink Saver (Sub) and Ink Recovery Up and see how I get on.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Hydra Buff is great for those who can't aim and would always end up missing a shot.
New Main: Hydra Splatling! I can't aim but hey, only three hits needed!
If you can't aim with the Hydra, you're not going to hit anything. If you can't hit anything.... Well the damage buff doesn't really matter, don't you think? ;) The Hydra is a weapon that requires aim in every match and it can be hard for many players to consistently have good aim. If you can't aim, you're going to be dead very quickly. The buff isn't going to change that. x) The buff essentially compensates for the speed of the Hydra. Have you noticed how slow we are? We're slower than a snail. :p The damage buff will help Hydras from afar. Players can easily escape a Hydra before the fourth shot hits. So having the Hydra become a three shot weapon helps it extremely. It doesn't really help up close since you cannot fully charge a Hydra in close range combat - but you theoretically shouldn't be finding yourself in that many close ranged situations. x)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Oh right, point sensors already take 40% of the ink tank each, so from that we know 6 subs of :ability_inksaversub: will allow for 3 consecutive burst bombs which is fair I suppose. I should also take into account the increased ink spread, increased damage on far hits, and increased range on near hits, making the herp derp burst bomb swim spam more effective, well asside from less knockback and having one less bomb of course, but atleast now I see that this isn't the end of the world!

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
If you can't aim with the Hydra, you're not going to hit anything. If you can't hit anything.... Well the damage buff doesn't really matter, don't you think? ;) The Hydra is a weapon that requires aim in every match and it can be hard for many players to consistently have good aim. If you can't aim, you're going to be dead very quickly. The buff isn't going to change that. x) The buff essentially compensates for the speed of the Hydra. Have you noticed how slow we are? We're slower than a snail. :p The damage buff will help Hydras from afar. Players can easily escape a Hydra before the fourth shot hits. So having the Hydra become a three shot weapon helps it extremely. It doesn't really help up close since you cannot fully charge a Hydra in close range combat - but you theoretically shouldn't be finding yourself in that many close ranged situations. x)
What I meant (and wrote down with a huge hyperbole) is that I don't have the aim for four shot, as I mostly only hit three shots.
Now, "just" three shots will kill.

Plus, if you aim your shot wrong with a charger, you have to charge it all the way again.
With Hydra, you have more shots than shots needed to kill.

So a Splatling (not neccesarily Hydra) is aim friendlier than a charger, especially since you can't use Damage Up to half charge kill.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Happy about the Burst Bomb nerf, they were too good in close combat. As for the other nerfs, I dont feel some of them are necessary but at least theyre pretty minor. Surprised about the nerf to .96 though. Now it's essentially equivalent to the .52, which doesn't really give an incentive to use that over it. That cements my decision never to use it again(I already disliked it to begin with).
Not really. It still has more range and kraken, so this nerf won't change things all that much. Only thing it's really gonna change is .96 gal users using as much damage up as the .52 gal now. It's still basically the same weapon as before.

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
Will Cold Blooded still be worth it? I mean 50% reduction of tracking time is something.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Hm, I'm not sure if I love or hate the changes to Burst Bombs. I kinda prefer them as smaller, spammable projectiles. It's one of those things where you probably need to see it in practice before you make your mind up.

With the Burst Bomb changes and the buff to Inkstrike, it might be enough to see people start switching from the Custom Jet Squelcher to the vanilla Jet (yay for buffing those weapons!). Although I may try the Custom and gear up with a buttload of Ink Saver (Sub) and Ink Recovery Up and see how I get on.
There's no way the vanilla Jet will be used in favour of the Custom, and that is simply down to Splash Walls and Inkstrike vs Burst Bombs and Kraken. Burst Bombs, even with the nerf next week, are more flexible and better fitted to the Jet than the Splash Wall, since the Burst Bombs shorten the TTK. I suggest a build that has some Damage, Ink Recovery and Swim Speed. Cold Blooded wouldn't hurt either, since the weapon relies on range, and being marked for 9 seconds (as of 2.7.0) will enable the enemy team to get close, and the Jet suffers in CRC. Splash Walls are on their way out as it is, since they are weak and are easy to counter. The Kraken saves you in those CRC situations, and is still a Get Out of Jail card, whereas the Inkstrike will not save you. Even with the 50% increase in your strafe movement, Swim Speed is more useful than Run Speed as slow strafe weapons benefit from swimming between shots and the Swim Speed perks greatly benefit the Kraken special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom