Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The speed nerf doesn't affect E3K as much as Dynamo, given the lack of need to move frequently. Also, Burst Bomb changes actually improve its ability to 2HKO with a Damage Up-boosted combination of a direct hit and near miss, and to 3HKO with near misses. Expect to see less Customs, certainly, but I doubt the Standard is going anywhere.
Oh, geeze, I hope you're wrong. The burst bomb mains were the #1 thing that made everyone hate chargers, including charger mains. The burst bombs were what needed nerfing most of all.

As a Custom Scope main it feels like they've yanked my "main main" out from under me. It was nice to see Custom finally appear INSTEAD of the idiotic burst bomb mains. That's like buffing the 96's RNG - they took the worst version of a weapon that was meta and made it MANDATORY meta if what you're saying is true! Hopefully it's not - that's not how I interpereted the math :)

I can say that despite the nerf to all the chargers...minus squiffer and bamboozler, I'm still gonna main the 3k. Just means I'll have to adjust to the nerfs to it. I never spam burst bombs anyway, so it won't affect me as much I suppose. Only spam I would do is if I knew someone was hiding behind an object in hopes I'd go back to sniping for them to splat me, and I'm too lazy to move.

Only thing I'm iffy about it the partial charge nerf. I know we're meant for long range support, but still. Nothing wrong with a partial charge every now and then.
Yeah, well the main nerf IS the partial charge nerf. The swim sped sucks too, but can be compensated, the burst bomb thing doesn't affect the main gun or Custom mains....the partial charge nerf is the one that changes the whole way you play the gun and forces it to a back-seat support gun. That's the only part I have a real problem with. On a 4 player team no one can afford to stay back on the perch the whole match - but the eliters now have no choice.

buttfield

Full Squid
Oh, geeze, I hope you're wrong. The burst bomb mains were the #1 thing that made everyone hate chargers, including charger mains. The burst bombs were what needed nerfing most of all.

As a Custom Scope main it feels like they've yanked my "main main" out from under me. It was nice to see Custom finally appear INSTEAD of the idiotic burst bomb mains. That's like buffing the 96's RNG - they took the worst version of a weapon that was meta and made it MANDATORY meta if what you're saying is true! Hopefully it's not - that's not how I interpereted the math :)
It limits Burst Bomb mains through the increased ink cost and reduced minimum blast radius, but they're a better DMing tool for anyone who can aim them, since the "near miss" hitbox is larger. It'll be less relevant at lower ranks, and Burst maining isn't going to pop up as often, but E3K isn't leaving A/S tier meta any time soon.

Also, .96's damage nerf will be a huge help (though I'd have rather seen its fire rate/range targeted instead), since most will be running Damage Up to cover up their kill counts.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I still don't understand the Cold-Blooded nerf. What exactly is changed about it?

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
I still don't understand the Cold-Blooded nerf. What exactly is changed about it?
it takes longer for cold blooded to activate. So instead of two seconds of tracking when you get hit with point sensor it's four. With haunt and echolocator, it's increased from 3 to 4.5, and haunt and echolocator have had their duration changed from 12 to 9 seconds.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Yeah, well the main nerf IS the partial charge nerf. The swim sped sucks too, but can be compensated, the burst bomb thing doesn't affect the main gun or Custom mains....the partial charge nerf is the one that changes the whole way you play the gun and forces it to a back-seat support gun. That's the only part I have a real problem with. On a 4 player team no one can afford to stay back on the perch the whole match - but the eliters now have no choice.
Yeah I know it is, and that's what annoys me most. People can say, "Yeah just move onto the closer ranged chargers if you want to play mid or close range." But...what if I don't want to? I prefer the 3k for not it's range really, but for the subs it has, as well as its special. The squiffer and bamboozler is nice, but doesn't fit what everyone wants in a charger, me being one of them. The partial charge and subs combined (well for the non custom, I'm sure custom applies as well), made it to where we could still be in on the action, and not be stuck up on a perch for 3mins or 5mins, possibly doing nothing.

Mark my words, I am destined to find some sort of way around this. As I refuse to sit back and be stuck on a perch, or to be forced to switch off of one of my beloved weapons. The scoped nerf thing I do question as well. Just 4 more days till we find out.

D

Deleted Member

Cold-Blooded now exposes you for 4 seconds instead of 2 seconds with Point Sensors (which weren't nerfed), and 4.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds with Echolocator and Haunt (both of which have their duration nerfed from 12 to 9 seconds).

Even though Echolocator's duration has dropped from 12 seconds to 9 seconds, the Cold-Blooded nerf makes Echolocator overall better now.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
The Splattershot Pro's range increased by 5%, so I don't think it'll outrange the Squiffer just yet, though it will be harder to range it out.
That said, between the Jet Squelcher buff, the Splattershot Pro buff and the 96 Gal being changed (both buffed and nerfed), this is definitely a rough patch for the Squiffer.

I hope the Fresh Squiffer helps!
actually i'm thinking i might LIKE the .96 gal buff. i get killed way too much by stray .96 gal shots so i feel like actually intended KOs will make me less salty.

the jet squelcher one will be painful, but they already outranged/outgunned us and forced us to be sneaky with them, so i don't think it's as big a change for us as it is for them.

the splattershot pro is the really worrying one for me. more range and faster firing... i already had trouble with them slipping into range and getting the 3HKO off on me when i thought i had them.

Yeah I know it is, and that's what annoys me most. People can say, "Yeah just move onto the closer ranged chargers if you want to play mid or close range." But...what if I don't want to? I prefer the 3k for not it's range really, but for the subs it has, as well as its special. The squiffer and bamboozler is nice, but doesn't fit what everyone wants in a charger, me being one of them. The partial charge and subs combined (well for the non custom, I'm sure custom applies as well), made it to where we could still be in on the action, and not be stuck up on a perch for 3mins or 5mins, possibly doing nothing.

Mark my words, I am destined to find some sort of way around this. As I refuse to sit back and be stuck on a perch, or to be forced to switch off of one of my beloved weapons. The scoped nerf thing I do question as well. Just 4 more days till we find out.
it's not impossible. it's not like you've gone to zero range... but with 20% less range uncharged, you'll really want to use the **** out of those kits and make sure they're worth it.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You getting me into hydra might be the only thing that saves the game post-eliter :p

How do you feel about thee chanes to 3k scope since I know you were going with scopes? This seems lie it will push us to unscoped.
We are of a small breed my friend lol. But the Hydra is a hell of a weapon as it is, can't wait for the new update. A 3HKO is amazing, and something I honestly wanted from the get go.

Although the ELiter 3K scope did experience some pretty big changes, I doubt it will be as big of an impact as it seems right now. I may be completely wrong, but it really doesn't seem like it. This is honestly something that should have been done a long time ago, but Ninty sure did take their sweet *** time getting around to it lol. Despite being a Custom ELiter 3K scope main, I feel this was a necessary patch, and I will continue to use it most likely, though, yea I may go to unscoped depending on how noticeable of a difference it is. It may be too early to tell right now.

Award

they're a better DMing too
"DMing"?

but E3K isn't leaving A/S tier meta any time soon.
I sincerely hope you're right. Though I hope that Custom is still as viable. It seems like they got heavy handed against Custom because of the smurfing by dmg up burst bomb users on vanilla which is silly since this is the first patch they start treating weapons differently. Custom has NO CHOICE but to fall back on partial charges for half its combat. Weakening the main gun - the custom's only weapon, seems idiotic. I play both but I've settled in on Custom as my primary.

Personally I'm growing to like squiffer a lot and absolutely LOVE both Bamboozler variants (I'll be adding them to my main sig soon along with H3-Nozzlenose of all things, LOL :P ) But eliter was great because despite the high skill floor, it had such a high skill ceiling. A gifted eliter player could use it like a bamboozler, a squiffer, AND a ranged eliter if they practiced enough. It seems like what they've done is both raise the skill floor AND drop the skill ceiling so its now harder to use and learn, but if you put the time in there's actually less you can make it do than before. The versatility is what made eliter so excellent. Strip away the versatility so it's numerically impossible and it makes me think that learning to use an eliter like a bamboozler is no longer possible, so learning to use a bamboozler like an eliter is what will be needed to replace it. But it's not the same. Sitting on a perch all match is simply not viable to win. Your teammates likely loathe that role. Back when they built eliter I think thats how they intended its use, but when players learned they couldn't win that way and had to take shooters instead they learned to use eliter agressively. I think this is Nintendos heavy handed way of saying "we want all the charger classes used so we're forcing eliters to sit on the perch for their intended role my making them mechanically unable to participate midrange." If they did that back in, I dont know, September it might have been ok.

We are of a small breed my friend lol. But the Hydra is a hell of a weapon as it is, can't wait for the new update. A 3HKO is amazing, and something I honestly wanted from the get go.

Although the ELiter 3K scope did experience some pretty big changes, I doubt it will be as big of an impact as it seems right now. I may be completely wrong, but it really doesn't seem like it. This is honestly something that should have been done a long time ago, but Ninty sure did take their sweet *** time getting around to it lol. Despite being a Custom ELiter 3K scope main, I feel this was a necessary patch, and I will continue to use it most likely, though, yea I may go to unscoped depending on how noticeable of a difference it is. It may be too early to tell right now.
LOL the one GOOD thing about this patch other than bust bomb mains finally getting hosed, is getting to use hydra more. I rarely take it out these days because it needed something more...this patch brings it back into the fold.

Glad to hear you're more positive on the eliter nerfing. I'm not sure how you focus for zoom...but it DOES sound like your're going to need to hold charges.....that makes scope drop out. I do think they overnerfed custom because of vanilla. We have no burst bombs, we shouldn't have our main gun restricted!

Please let me know what you think of the eliter nerf either here or PMing me after you get a chance to play it. I'm very interested in your thoughts!

Also, I'm officially adding Bambi Mk2 & 2 to my mains along with H3 :) I LOVE the weeeird weapons. Hydra might become less weird post patch. Time to move to the last two seldom used weapons :) And maybe Fresh Squifer too :)

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242

You can still kill with partially charged shots after the patch. The damage potential is still the same. The range would just be slighlty less than before. Not to mention the fact that the e-litre will charge slightly faster now.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
So we aren't scared about how the majority of the weapons will now get more Specials in a match?
No?

Because Inkstriking Aerosprays are going to be super annoying now.
Less time to punish the Inkstrikes and more Inkstrikes in general.

The surge in specials does open for some new meta strats.
NZAP 85/Regular 96 Gal/Hydra might see some play as the new Echolocator spammer (Instead of that being one of the many qualities of a Dynamo)
Inkstrikes might again see more use, in Splat Zones specifically.
The weapons that use Killer Wail will get them more frequently, but the usage will stay the same.

Though I predict less Krakens (except for the Slosher Deco)
96 Deco and Custom ELiter all got the nerf bat, so the Special Saver system puts a damper on the Sea Monster.
This also goes for the Inkzooka, whose prime chargers (Tentatek, Carbon Roller, Luna Blaster normal) got nerfed (Yes, Carbon got nerfed, depending on how good the Burst Bomb is now)

As for the Defense Up gear getting more popular, I think that entirely depends on how popular the 96 Gal is.
If people don't want to touch the weapon with a 20 foot pole because of the nerf, Defense Up won't be needed.

ELiter will still be very good, just beatable.

I wonder what the new Tentatek will be
Because with 75% of the Special Meter being gone per death, this probably means Tentateks don't get their Inkzooka as often, if at all.
NZAP (Probably 85, because of Echo and bombs) might take over, Wasabi Splattershot might, Splash O Matic might or Tentateks might find a new set of gear to keep getting those Zookas.

And then there's the long range, where the Jet Squelcher keeps getting buffed for no reason.
I get that they want more players for this weapon, but I think overbuffing it is not the way to go.
I really think they should just give it Suction Bombs and Inkzooka as a Sheldon's Pick and I'm sure they'll be a lot of players for this weapon, while keeping it balanced.
Or buff Turf coverage.

Last but not least, can someone tell me what the NZAP buffs mean?

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
So we aren't scared about how the majority of the weapons will now get more Specials in a match?
No?

NZAP 85/Regular 96 Gal/Hydra might see some play as the new Echolocator spammer (Instead of that being one of the many qualities of a Dynamo)
The weapons that use Killer Wail will get them more frequently, but the usage will stay the same.

96 Deco and Custom ELiter all got the nerf bat, so the Special Saver system puts a damper on the Sea Monster.
This also goes for the Inkzooka, whose prime chargers (Tentatek, Carbon Roller, Luna Blaster normal) got nerfed (Yes, Carbon got nerfed, depending on how good the Burst Bomb is now)

As for the Defense Up gear getting more popular, I think that entirely depends on how popular the 96 Gal is.
If people don't want to touch the weapon with a 20 foot pole because of the nerf, Defense Up won't be needed.

Because with 75% of the Special Meter being gone per death, this probably means Tentateks don't get their Inkzooka as often, if at all.
NZAP (Probably 85, because of Echo and bombs) might take over, Wasabi Splattershot might, Splash O Matic might or Tentateks might find a new set of gear to keep getting those Zookas.

And then there's the long range, where the Jet Squelcher keeps getting buffed for no reason.
I get that they want more players for this weapon, but I think overbuffing it is not the way to go.
I really think they should just give it Suction Bombs and Inkzooka as a Sheldon's Pick and I'm sure they'll be a lot of players for this weapon, while keeping it balanced.
Or buff Turf coverage.

Omg ur so right

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
You can still kill with partially charged shots after the patch. The damage potential is still the same. The range would just be slighlty less than before. Not to mention the fact that the e-litre will charge slightly faster now.
Mhmm, yeah I know it's only by a small amount. But a small amount can make a big difference. Just gonna have to see how much a of a difference they make. It shouldn't be too substantial.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
The Splattershot Pro's range increased by 5%, so I don't think it'll outrange the Squiffer just yet, though it will be harder to range it out.
That said, between the Jet Squelcher buff, the Splattershot Pro buff and the 96 Gal being changed (both buffed and nerfed), this is definitely a rough patch for the Squiffer.

I hope the Fresh Squiffer helps!
When playing Splatoon last night, I checked the range of the Splattershot Pro against the Squiffer, and the Pro barely outranges the Squiffer right now (on the stats, the Pro's range moved a little bit further than the Squiffer). So when this patch comes in, the Pro will most likely have a clear range advantage over the Squiffer.

I've been reading here how the Hydra is barely used and the patch will help, and that doesn't match what I've been seeing myself. I can barely go one or two matches without seeing a Custom Hydra. I must say that the Splatlings are the most obnoxious weapons to deal with, the amount of times one has spotted me and I've been splatted in seconds, and not given time to react. On top of this, the Heavy and the Hydra have ridiculous range, and can run around holding a full charge until they find a victim, then their rapid fire rate and sustained rate of fire finishes them off without allowing them to move or retaliate. A Hydra that has a 3HKO is nothing to celebrate, as they are going to be even worse than they are currently.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
A Hydra that has a 3HKO is nothing to celebrate, as they are going to be even worse than they are currently.
Look at my avatar and signature, it is most certainly something to celebrate. :cool:
I wasn't saying they were uncommon, as they did pick up once the Custom was released, but this likely going to make it spike quite a bit.
Perhaps @Award and myself are of the few Hydras on this forum and we're just happy to be recognized, forgive our enthusiasm, lol.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Look at my avatar and signature, it is most certainly something to celebrate. :cool:
I wasn't saying they were uncommon, as they did pick up once the Custom was released, but this likely going to make it spike quite a bit.
Perhaps @Award and myself are of the few Hydras on this forum and we're just happy to be recognized, forgive our enthusiasm, lol.
Of course, it's a good thing for all Hydra users, I'm on the side that doesn't use them and will now die even faster than before to them. I just find it bad enough how quickly they kill when they lock onto a target, so they're making an already decent weapon even better and now at the point where it'll pose a real threat to everyone else, especially people who use mid range weapons (such as myself), we really can't afford to get spotted by long range weapons.

Award

No?

Or buff Turf coverage.

Cosidering I somewhat disdain the very existance of specials in this game, I hadn't even thought of that. That might end up killing off the fun entirely for me if there's more specials. They needed to be massively CURBED they were MASSIVELY overused as it was, it needed to become actually a rarely used SPECIAL to turn the tide, not spammed as much as subs.

If you're right they may have fully broken the game for people who like to play it SKILL based rather than "special charge strategy" based. This might suck a LOT :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom