Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Cosidering I somewhat disdain the very existance of specials in this game, I hadn't even thought of that. That might end up killing off the fun entirely for me if there's more specials. They needed to be massively CURBED they were MASSIVELY overused as it was, it needed to become actually a rarely used SPECIAL to turn the tide, not spammed as much as subs.

If you're right they may have fully broken the game for people who like to play it SKILL based rather than "special charge strategy" based. This might suck a LOT :(
Although they've flushed out the problematic Special Charges like Tentatek's Inkzooka or Dynamo's everything, there will be more specials in general.
Though the most common weapons get less bang for their buck, which might balance it a bit.
But yeah, prepare for Inkstrikes.

D

Deleted Member

Last but not least, can someone tell me what the NZAP buffs mean?
Better inking capabilities, faster Inkstrike and less special loss when you die. This will make the N-Zap 89 an insane Turf War weapon.

Aerospray RG, Gold Dynamo , Inkbrush, N-Zap 89 (the best inking weapons in the game) get faster Inkstrikes.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Better inking capabilities, faster Inkstrike and less special loss when you die. This will make the N-Zap 89 an insane Turf War weapon.

Aerospray RG, Gold Dynamo , Inkbrush, N-Zap 89 (the best inking weapons in the game) get faster Inkstrikes.
Better inking huh?
That's great for the 85, as you can get easier Echos.

buttfield

Full Squid
Deathmatching. Using it as a dedicated killing tool, basically.

And then there's the long range, where the Jet Squelcher keeps getting buffed for no reason.
I get that they want more players for this weapon, but I think overbuffing it is not the way to go.
It's a pretty small buff. 50% is a large increase percentage-wise, but its current movement speed is so low that it'll be hard to even notice unless you're using it.
If you're worried about long-ranged weapons that'll come to light in the next patch, keep your eyes on the Forge Pro. It's gained faster-traveling shots, a longer range, and better special saving, and the Point Sensor benefits from the nerf to Cold Blooded. With Tentatek and .96 Deco mains looking for a new toy, it's an incredibly powerful alternative.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242

It's a pretty small buff. 50% is a large increase percentage-wise, but its current movement speed is so low that it'll be hard to even notice unless you're using it.
If you're worried about long-ranged weapons that'll come to light in the next patch, keep your eyes on the Forge Pro. It's gained faster-traveling shots, a longer range, and better special saving, and the Point Sensor benefits from the nerf to Cold Blooded. With Tentatek and .96 Deco mains looking for a new toy, it's an incredibly powerful alternative.
Someone on the splatoon reddit page made a handy chart of weapon strafe speeds. The jet strafe speed is equal to the .96, but after the buff, the strafing will be equal to the dual squelcher and .52 gal.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I'm dreading all the inkstrikes to endure after this. As if I wasn't all ready sick of them when there was a team of 3 weapons with inkstrike.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Although they've flushed out the problematic Special Charges like Tentatek's Inkzooka or Dynamo's everything, there will be more specials in general.
Though the most common weapons get less bang for their buck, which might balance it a bit.
But yeah, prepare for Inkstrikes.
Imo the specials were intolerable as it was. If the specials are even MORE abused this might well lead to me putting the game down for good. It was BARELY tolerable before. And in particular bomb rushes and bubblers. They were overused and broken. If they're used MORE now, the game will be flat out broken. This is a very sad day for Slatoon :(

I was excited for balance updates coming but looking at what theyve done Im starting to wonder what insanity motivated them to completely turn the entire gameplay around a year into the game when all but the high level players have mostly stopped playing, while simultaneously NOT addressing most of the real problems, namely the effects of lag on some weapons (in fact they're making that worse), and the effect of scummers abuseively stacking gear (and in some cases they make that worse.)

It's like replacing half the MK8 item boxes with blue shells and adding an Orange Shell that takes out the #2 and #3 player and calling it a balance update.

Isn't that what the burst bomb mains were using it as before? Doesn't that make it worse?

"The main problem with eliters is their range combined with the effectiveness of burst bombs as a close range killer!"
"We have the solution! We'll make the burst bombs even MORE deadly, make the long range shots charge faster, but make both the eliter AND the custom eliter have no midrange ability at all! Even though Custom has nothing OTHER than the main gun! Also, MOAR SPECIALZ! Please understand."

I'm dreading all the inkstrikes to endure after this. As if I wasn't all ready sick of them when there was a team of 3 weapons with inkstrike.
Yeah....I really REALLY don't know what their thinking is. Im not sure if it's about "lets remove anything but midrange shooters and make guns solely about charging specials because reasons" or "We want people to stop playing Splatoon so they buy NX after it's announced in 2 months, so let's make it as unfun as we can"

But everything about this patch screams "fixes no existing problems, makes those problems worse, breaks a few weapons for no reason, but includes a few fixes everyone wanted, and the Jr. will be even MORE broken than before. Because it just didn't have enough bubbler charge rate.

Normally I love the balance updates but from the moment i read these patch notes I've been thinking "there goes Splatoon"

Last edited:

buttfield

Full Squid
Isn't that what the burst bomb mains were using it as before? Doesn't that make it worse?
The difference between the old and new versions is essentially that the old version was far more spammable, but the new version is a bit more powerful.
The increased cost and reduced minimum-damage range mean spam is far less effective, and they can't be thrown wildly in groups of five as a substitute for a main weapon. However, the larger 35-damage area and the increase to minimum damage mean that, in good hands, they're much more effective at reducing kill counts for weapons like the Slosher and Splattershot, and for Damage Up-boosted 2HKOs.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I honestly don't think the special changes will be that severe. It is only a 10% change of special loss for most weapons, and it only applies to when weapons get splatted and still lose a significant chunk of special and are forced back to spawn. Inkstrikes may be a bit more prominent, but the 33% shorter cooldown does not apply to the time actually aiming the inkstrike, and inkstrikes were not really as good as many of the other specials. The cooldown change itself will likely be less than a second anyways. As for the easier to use/stronger weapons, I think the increased special drom will just teach people to play more conservatively and carefully if they want to do well.

As with the charger changes, I still think the E-Liters will be fine. Burst bombs, with some damage up, will give the vanilla variant a slightly harder to use version of close quarters combat. Despite the range nerf from partially charged shots, they still will be able to splat people within a comfortable range, and the shots will be slightly faster to charge. The 10% swim speed downgrade will not be as notable for the E-Liter as it is so immobile. Yes, it will be harder to use, but I think the E-Liter (and chargers in general) will still be prominent. After all, damage up spam E-Liters are one of the things the most people complain about.

Looking at the other major nerfs, I do not see to much of a change. The 96 Gal nerf might seem significant, yet it only affects people with Defence Up. Many people (like me) don't want to wear defence up to counter specific weapons, and the 96 Gal can still counter these normally. Plus, the accuracy was increased and, while the deco variant has a large special drop, the vanilla gets a buff in special drop in exchange for it's less popular specials. They will still be useful, and players can always add damage up like the .52 gals. Dynamos will be harder to use, but the update rewards more skilled usage rather than just charging and trading splats, while the swim speed nerf can be alleviated with swim speed up (and the weapon itself is pretty strong). The Echolocator/Cold Blooded/Haunt nerfs will make Echolocator a bit less powerful (it is a really good special), but the reduction in Cold Blooded (a really common ability) will make tracker weapons more reliable and open up another slot for an ability.

None of the buffs seem too notable either. The Splash-O-Matic's buffs were a minor buff to shot speed (not fire rate, how fast the shots move), spread (which was already near perfect), and range (which is useful, but only 10%). Plus, the Neo variant has weaker burst bombs, so it is a trade off for it. The N-Zap has only 7% faster inking and something else which I don't understand. Yes, the weapon is better now, but honestly, who sees N-Zaps much in ranked? The Splattershot Pro only gets 5% farther range, and a bit faster bullets. Along with the point sensor/special charge changes, I think the Pros will become as viable and common as the 96 Gals/Dual Squelchers/Jet Squelchers. The vanilla Jet Squelcher needed a bit of a buff, and while 50% extra movement speed is high, the weapon does not move that fast to begin with. Plus, the custom version has to deal with more expensive burst bombs. Carbon roller again loses efficient burst bombs, and the deco version is already somewhat situational. I think the Slosher will be pretty strong, but I not think a 20% increase will cause them to be completely broken. As with the hydra, I am curious what the whole "when full charge means". Most splatlings have their damage even out at one ring of charge, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they mean by full charge. The changes to Seekers, Mines, and Inkstrikes were all needed improvements for meh subs and specials.

I am not saying the patch is perfect, it still has it's share of problems. (Splat Charger > Splatterscope for some reason, L-3 D becomes somewhat obsolete to the Custom Jet, no buff to the Inkbrush, H-3, Sloshing Machine, or Sploosh, and many okay weapons are nerfed due to Burst Bomb nerf). Despite these problems, I do not think the changes will be that drastic and instead bring more weapon variety and general balance.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm still surprised the L-3D got a further nerf with the special reduction increase, as if the Burst bomb one wasn't bad enough seeing as it's one of the more Burst Bomb reliant weapons. My poor main, I've figured out how to pretty well cope with the other weapons, but the Dolphinose I just feel I'm gonna perform significantly worse with.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
So what exactly does a 10% reduction in swim speed translate into exactly. Like, compared to someone with similar or faster swim speed. I'm also somewhat curious of how much longer it would take to bubble up now on a Jr ( not that I'm concerned or anything on the latter. I only use it when in a pinch anyway).

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
So what exactly does a 10% reduction in swim speed translate into exactly. Like, compared to someone with similar or faster swim speed. I'm also somewhat curious of how much longer it would take to bubble up now on a Jr ( not that I'm concerned or anything on the latter. I only use it when in a pinch anyway).
It takes the same amount of time. You just lose more special now when they splat you. Also if you want to test out the speed reduction, equip ninja squid without any swim speed up. Since the loss of speed with ninja squid is equal to the one heavy weapons are getting.

Reactions: blu

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Most splatlings have their damage even out at one ring of charge, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they mean by full charge.
Splatling damage isn't affected by charge. Charge only affects the duration of the burst and the range of your shots (range only increases up to the first ring, though). The new Hydra Splatling will get higher damage once the second ring fills (which is full charge)

Last edited:

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
My friend and I spent hours discussing this today. This patch is for suuuure gonna change a lot. Goodbye, old meta game!
Im partly happy, partly unhappy about that. Some things like the TTK meta had to go. But undoing things that people spent a lot of time learning, so late in the games cycle is kind of dopey.

BTW, @HappyBear801 You have less than 48 hours to set up EIGHT Thoughts & Analysis threads. You best get working! :P ;)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Splatling damage isn't affected by charge. Charge only affects the duration of the burst and the range of your shots (range only increases up to the first ring, though). The new Hydra Splatling will get higher damage once the second ring fills (which is full charge)
How often do you fire from max charge? I haven't used the Hydras too extensively but I feel unless I'm behind a corner waiting I don't wait until max charge but the first ring of charge before firing or even earlier if the enemy is close. This thing just charges so darn slowly, and with the unwarranted swim speed nerf I'm kinda wishing the extra damage came into play at the first ring.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
>All my mains get nerfed (Dual Squelcher, Splatterscope, E-liter)

>Tentatek remains mostly unchanged

*sigh*

Just when I felt like I was becoming competent with the E-liter, too. Oh well, I guess the Splatterscope was always my favorite charger, anyways. I feel like the E-liter being hit from literally all sides was too much, but whatever. I'll still play it, in TW for fun, that is.

I don't know how I feel about the cold blooded/echolocator thing. I've always ran cold blooded paired with echo, so having both nerfed is so... weird. I don't know if I should keep using both, or only use one, or what.

I was hoping that I could find a balance between Special Duration Up, Swim Speed Up, Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub, Ink Recovery Up, and Damage Up to take the E-liter at least closer to my current fit, but no matter how I look at it, it's nerfs are too great.

I'm just really bummed the only thing i'm getting from this update is nerfs, and it seems that the one weapon that i'm good at that i've been reluctant to use because of it's OPness is unchanged. I mean, I kinda like the splash, I guess, so i'll give that a try.

I'm just hoping that the 20% reduction isn't as much as it seems in game. Hopefully 6% is enough to offset it, but c'mon. Six percent? Ugh, i'll stop spitting salt onto this post now.

EDIT: I just remembered (because I forgot for some reason) what annoyed me the most. When they buffed Ink Saver Sub, I started rerolling my :head_hdp001: and I finally got a good roll on them and put together a decent set for e-liter, only to find out that all my rerolling has done is bring the amount of burst bombs back to 2.6.0, at the cost of 2 mains. There goes that set. At least I can use them with :wst_charge_light00:.

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
How often do you fire from max charge? I haven't used the Hydras too extensively but I feel unless I'm behind a corner waiting I don't wait until max charge but the first ring of charge before firing or even earlier if the enemy is close. This thing just charges so darn slowly, and with the unwarranted swim speed nerf I'm kinda wishing the extra damage came into play at the first ring.
I honestly didn't like the Hydra Splatling since it didn't give much benefit over the Heavy at a high cost. That said, at least there's a reason to use it after the patch (and go for full charge on top of it), as I believe it'll make the Hydra Splatling the fastest splatting weapon in the game (aside of weapons capable of one-shot splats). It shoots faster than the Sploosh and splats in the same number of hits

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
It depends on the map really. When it comes to larger maps like Camp Triggerfish and Piranha Pit, I'm usually fully charging the Hydra because there's a lot of space. It gives more time to charge the Hydra and figure out where to aim. Smaller maps like Blackbelly give more of an issue because it's easier for the enemy to get in your face much quicker. So it's rarer to find a Hydra who will fully charge on a small map unless their team is in complete control. Fully charging does have its benefits. When the Hydra is fully charged, I can easily take out three people in a single charge and this buff could help me take out all four enemies if they're close enough together. I'm often coming across teams packed together far more than I probably should haha. :P

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
>All my mains get nerfed (Dual Squelcher, Splatterscope, E-liter)

>Tentatek remains mostly unchanged

*sigh*

Just when I felt like I was becoming competent with the E-liter, too. Oh well, I guess the Splatterscope was always my favorite charger, anyways. I feel like the E-liter being hit from literally all sides was too much, but whatever. I'll still play it, in TW for fun, that is.

I don't know how I feel about the cold blooded/echolocator thing. I've always ran cold blooded paired with echo, so having both nerfed is so... weird. I don't know if I should keep using both, or only use one, or what.

I was hoping that I could find a balance between Special Duration Up, Swim Speed Up, Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub, Ink Recovery Up, and Damage Up to take the E-liter at least closer to my current fit, but no matter how I look at it, it's nerfs are too great.

I'm just really bummed the only thing i'm getting from this update is nerfs, and it seems that the one weapon that i'm good at that i've been reluctant to use because of it's OPness is unchanged. I mean, I kinda like the splash, I guess, so i'll give that a try.

I'm just hoping that the 20% reduction isn't as much as it seems in game. Hopefully 6% is enough to offset it, but c'mon. Six percent? Ugh, i'll stop spitting salt onto this post now.

EDIT: I just remembered (because I forgot for some reason) what annoyed me the most. When they buffed Ink Saver Sub, I started rerolling my :head_hdp001: and I finally got a good roll on them and put together a decent set for e-liter, only to find out that all my rerolling has done is bring the amount of burst bombs back to 2.6.0, at the cost of 2 mains. There goes that set. At least I can use them with :wst_charge_light00:.
The dual squelcher wasn't nerfed. It got a buff like a bunch of other weapons where it loses less special upon death. and the tentatek got the opposite where it loses much more special upon death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom