• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
Really? I was actually doing pretty well with this weapon set! I may have just been getting lucky with my co-workers, but we were consistently either winning our waves or failing late into the third round, which I still call a win because I haven't lost any points towards my rank. General rule of thumb, Wave 3 is the dream!
Yeah I was amazed about it too. But the last few games were really smooth and I got my score back :D And yeah gotta love them wave 3s!

I agree that the current loadout looked fun, and it actually is really fun too. That one wildcard weapon is always interesting to work with. And so far my matches have been quite alright, besides the usual few oddities :) Also I love the new gear of the month, looks really cool!

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Oddly, this last Salmon Run loadout gave me some unexpected issues. I don't know why, everything was well balanced! I think the Squeezer gave people more trouble than I expected it would. I was no fan of it, but I made good use of it. With a good method of mashing the ZR button, it outputs a ridiculous amount of damage! I used that to my advantage to put more boss Salmonids on ice than Disney can put mascots on ice!

Another good topic to bring up in the guide now that I think about it...

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I found myself running out of ink with the squeezer, but that was just my relative inexperience with it. I didn't have a lot of trouble splatting Chum or downing bosses with it, I just kept having to run away like a scaredy-squid to recharge.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Not sure how or why but the wife and I went from professional to go getter in just a handful of matches.

Well we know why.... some were disconnects. One was for sure someone intentionally walking around leading a massive parade of salmonids not shooting any, just leading the parade.

A few others were just unlucky circumstances. Ie running from griller 1, ran too close to griller 2 splatting myself making griller 1 turn around and splat through the rest of the party.

At least the next few rounds will be easy I guess. But it was kind of a letdown seeing us go down that fast.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
I think ****ty weapon rotations are what kept me from enjoying Salmon Run for the first 3 months I had the game. I didn't really understand "shifts" or know that you could check what weapons were in play, and I would just randomly pick it up, get stuck with an eliter or something, get frustrated and not try it again for a few weeks, repeat.

Then a couple weekends ago I got the rotation that had tri slosher and splat roller (with 2 other fun weapons that I don't remember) and I actually had a blast. Now I look forward to seeing the upcoming rotations and can generally tell which ones are going to be fun and which ones aren't. I'm not touching this current rotation lol.

Is there any method to the rotations? Like, do they tend to schedule easier weapons on the weekends or is it mostly random?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Now I look forward to seeing the upcoming rotations and can generally tell which ones are going to be fun and which ones aren't.
I still play randomly from time to time, even in rotations that aren't necessarily my favorite (those tickets don't earn themselves...), but I do this a lot these days as well. I don't know if it's the added intensity of being in Profresh 300 or 400 or whatever mine is currently, but I get frustrated more easily these days. I think it's also because I've just grown real tired of some of the stages. The only stage I really like to play SR on these days is Smokeyard, and occasionally Marooner's. Spawning and Outpost get so annoying after a few matches. Especially in high tide. At least in the other two stages you can be a bit strategic and even play it a bit safe in high tides, but the others just get real cramped, real fast.

Random weapons I'd rather not pass up, though I had to miss the most recent one.

Maave

Inkling Commander
The new helmet is pretty fresh.

Anybody have tips for using the brellas on Salmon Run? It came up as the random weapon a couple times for me and I utterly sucked. How well does the shield and shield launch work vs salmonids?

catmeow1

Inkling
i use the high firepower of a brella to clear salmonids, but if a boss attack like a steelhead bomb, flyfish missile, or other knockout attack comes, i open the shield, for flyfish i raise it up, which does work with the tenta brella, but i haven't tried it with any other brellas. hope that helps.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
While you do hear tapping sounds when you hit salmon at max range with the brella, the weapon class itself has a sharp damage falloff so your best bet is to get as close as comfortably possible and fire away.

Brella shield itself is only useful if you cannot escape from a steelhead, for normal salmonid it's kinda useless. Don't forget that a launched shield can also revive teammates, so it can be useful to revive a far-off teammate without sacrificing your position. Only the Tenta's launched shield is effective at clearing out a horde of mobs(useful for Glowflies!), the regular Brella's shield deals too little damage. Do bear in mind both will get destroyed instantly if they hit a Steel Eel.

Undercover deals terrible damage, but you can bump into targets while firing at them to deal additional damage.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
They've really been killing it with the special choices lately. So many fast-firing guns and dualies. Salmon Run? Nah, this feels more like Smash TV. With the glorious Sqelchers and Splash-O-Matic, I finally got over 100 eggs. Woo!
I understand the love for this horde gamemode now.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
With Brellas, it's best to get really close to your enemies. When you do, you should do relatively well in clearing out enemies. Some specifics though.

Splat Brella - I honestly think of this as a top tier SR weapon. Really good DPS while still having acceptable damage at a decent range. The shield makes for an acceptable Roller substitute during Glowfly rushes. Not quite as good as a Roller, but it still works. You can also fire the shield in choke-points to clear out Chums. Not as good as Tenta, but once again, it works. Splat Brella is just a very effective and versatile weapon.

Tenta Brella - Ah the ever-hated Tenta Brella. How you're so misunderstood. It is a difficult weapon to use. There's three things to keep in mind. One is the usual getting as close as possible. Tenta does pretty good damage at point-blank range. The other is staying mobile. It is really easy to get stuck with Tenta Brella, so it's best if you move and jump alot. Kinda like a Blaster. Finally...fire your brella! Tenta Brella's shield is excellent at crowd control. Stick it in a chokepoint, or a place where enemies spawn, and watch them all die as you're able to take care of those pesky bosses. Also Tenta Brella's shield works wonders in a Cohock Charge. Fire your shield and watch the Cohock die (or atleast take alot of damage)!

Undercover Brella - Another misunderstood weapon. I would not recommend attacking with this anywhere farther than point-blank range. Otherwise it does little to no damage. When you are at point-blank range, you have a really good crowd control weapon. It mows through Chums and Smallfry. It also does a decent job at killing bosses. The shield doesn't really do much. It's still alright for Glowfly rushes and Griller waves though. If it is a Griller wave, and you have the Undercover Brella, take out Smallfry. It's your calling!

How long has it been since they gave us Dynamo? We have been given every other weapon type for the past few loadouts, but it has been a long time since I've tasted sweet victory with the Dynamo. I miss it.

Next loadout looks godly. Splat Dualies, Trislosher, Splat Roller, and Squiffer. Too bad it isn't a weekend loadout so I can do it all day.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Next loadout looks godly. Splat Dualies, Trislosher, Splat Roller, and Squiffer. Too bad it isn't a weekend loadout so I can do it all day.
Agreed! I'm looking forward to playing but disappointed that i'll really only have a couple hours tonight to try and complete it (make it to 1200), and I want to play Splat Zones at 8. Maybe I can get a head start on my lunch break.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Very much looking forward to this salmon run. Soon as I get off work the wife and I will be cooking some salmonids. Gotta get back up to professional. The last hand full of rounds were just painful. I made some mistakes sure, but wow.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
I thought that Prof rank 400 would give me better co-workers but they're just... terrible. More like Overachievers or even Go-Getters. I feel awkward having low or no death count and rest of team have higher death counts. Even one or two players have 0 revive count, too. We often fail the first Special Occurrence wave (especially Grillers and Goldie Seeking). I dropped down to below 400 and back to 400 frequently because of this. I don't think I'll get Hazard Level MAX.

It's rare to get reliable co-workers.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Can we all just agree that Goldie Seeking should be a high tide only event?

Seriously, this mode is pretty RNG on mid tide. The maps are too big. I get the idea of the mode that it is a game of hot cold, but it just is near impossible to do it effectively in the given time on most maps during mid tide (especially on Marooner's Bay) unless you get lucky and find the Goldie right away.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I had an awesome SR round today.

We started with a DC, but did rather well on the first wave, a Glowfly rush, because the guy with the Roller knew how to use it. Got 27 eggs I believe.

The second round was high tide.....yay! 30 seconds before the end of the wave, we got another DC! Me and the other guy managed to survive the last 30 seconds.

Third round....GRILLER WAVE! Oh boy! Even better is that after we killed the first one, they start giving us two Grillers at once, so getting the required eggs was not easy. I managed to kill two of them with Inkjet, but I was blocked from the last eggs, and we only needed 1 more for quota, but 7 seconds left. Teammate pulls a slick suicide dunk with his Dualies, and we end up winning the wave.

I wish I took a screenshot, but I didn't think to. It still felt great duoing a Griller wave. I thank my awesome teammate for helping me go through this. cam/BTS, you're an awesome fella.

Funny clip from my rounds today. Actually I'm beginning to use the knockback from Chums and Cohocks to get me out of ink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom