• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

Cephalobro

It is also interesting that you can see a flipped over but slanted space shuttle in the background. Looks like going underground wasn't the only way in which humans tried to escape the flood.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
So I’ve been thinking about how people describe viable weapons for Salmon Run, and it seems like a lot of us bring our PVP experience in as a bias. -myself included, clearly; I will continue to defend the Hydra until the day I die.

In your opinion what are the most important weapon aspects, base (rate of fire, ink consumption) or derived (DPS), that matter for Salmon Run?

I feel like DPS seems to outshine everything else for this mode, considering so many enemies aren’t a 3-hit kill like in multiplayer. In PVP however, the only time DPS matters more than TTK is when you’re contending the Rainmaker shield. Even the Jr and Aerospray seem more viable in this mode than something like the .96 Gal.

What I find particularly amusing is how the Goo Tuber is considered a bottom-tier weapon in literally every single game mode. The LEAST they could do is bump up its SR damage like they did for the main game, letting it hit 180 damage like the E-Litre. That'd let it OHKO Scrappers and Steel Eels and give it at least a little use.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I am kinda ignorant when it comes to nuts and bolts when it comes to weapons in this game.
My list of 'go to' weapons include how well it covers area, how much ink it consumes, and can 'you' kill a Drizzler in one flip.

I like your idea of bumping up the damage to some of the really crappy weapons in SR.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I am kinda ignorant when it comes to nuts and bolts when it comes to weapons in this game.
My list of 'go to' weapons include how well it covers area, how much ink it consumes, and can 'you' kill a Drizzler in one flip.

I like your idea of bumping up the damage to some of the really crappy weapons in SR.
It wouldn’t even be far-fetched. I believe the Goo Tuber does the same damage as an ELitre in PVP with full a full charge, but it doesn’t in SR for whatever reason.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hey, well mine is even simpler.

Can it kill Stingers efficiently?
Yes ---> good weapon
No ---> bad weapon[/QUOTE]

BirdAndreo

Senior Squid
So I’ve been thinking about how people describe viable weapons for Salmon Run, and it seems like a lot of us bring our PVP experience in as a bias. -myself included, clearly; I will continue to defend the Hydra until the day I die.

In your opinion what are the most important weapon aspects, base (rate of fire, ink consumption) or derived (DPS), that matter for Salmon Run?

I feel like DPS seems to outshine everything else for this mode, considering so many enemies aren’t a 3-hit kill like in multiplayer. In PVP however, the only time DPS matters more than TTK is when you’re contending the Rainmaker shield. Even the Jr and Aerospray seem more viable in this mode than something like the .96 Gal.

What I find particularly amusing is how the Goo Tuber is considered a bottom-tier weapon in literally every single game mode. The LEAST they could do is bump up its SR damage like they did for the main game, letting it hit 180 damage like the E-Litre. That'd let it OHKO Scrappers and Steel Eels and give it at least a little use.
In my opinion, 5 factors must be considered (here in order of importance) :

1) Damage. Like every PvE, the more damage you do, the faster you kill, the easier you win the game.

2) mobility. agility helps a lot for avoiding attacks and retreat.

3) fire rate. This is similar to damage point: the faster you shoot, the more damage you deal

4) ink consumption.

5) range. I think this one is the least important because the salmonids themselves attack mostly with close range attacks.

Now, some pages ago, i explained why, imo, dapple dualies are the best and why octobrush is the worst. Let's analyze them again:

Dapples: excell in every stats except range... But its power and mobility is SO good that you will forget about your low range. able to melt down every enemy in few istants, it's the perfect weapon for clearing crowded areas, and let teammates take eggs.

Octobrush: exchanges its cousin inkbrush agility for some more damage and range, but sadly this is not worthy and you will find trouble even against a couple of chums

Now let's take other 2 weapons and analyze them considering the 5 stats:

Jet squelcher: great range, but very low damage and slow fire rate. Ink consumption and agility are not good either. Struggles a lot against cohocks groups and other bosses as well. Not a terrible weapon but surely low tier.

E liter: huge power and range but poor mobility, speed and high ink consumption. But since damage is the most important stat, the eliter can find its place in the high tier, thanks to the ability to oneshot multiple cohocks and some bosses, at also great range.

And more and more... This is how i analyze weapons for salmon run. Sorry for the wot, hope you will like my analysis!

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
In my opinion, 5 factors must be considered (here in order of importance) :

1) Damage. Like every PvE, the more damage you do, the faster you kill, the easier you win the game.

2) mobility. agility helps a lot for avoiding attacks and retreat.

3) fire rate. This is similar to damage point: the faster you shoot, the more damage you deal

4) ink consumption.

5) range. I think this one is the least important because the salmonids themselves attack mostly with close range attacks.

Now, some pages ago, i explained why, imo, dapple dualies are the best and why octobrush is the worst. Let's analyze them again:

Dapples: excell in every stats except range... But its power and mobility is SO good that you will forget about your low range. able to melt down every enemy in few istants, it's the perfect weapon for clearing crowded areas, and let teammates take eggs.

Octobrush: exchanges its cousin inkbrush agility for some more damage and range, but sadly this is not worthy and you will find trouble even against a couple of chums

Now let's take other 2 weapons and analyze them considering the 5 stats:

Jet squelcher: great range, but very low damage and slow fire rate. Ink consumption and agility are not good either. Struggles a lot against cohocks groups and other bosses as well. Not a terrible weapon but surely low tier.

E liter: huge power and range but poor mobility, speed and high ink consumption. But since damage is the most important stat, the eliter can find its place in the high tier, thanks to the ability to oneshot multiple cohocks and some bosses, at also great range.

And more and more... This is how i analyze weapons for salmon run. Sorry for the wot, hope you will like my analysis!
I’m convinced that the Ballpoint is the best Salmon Run weapon, or it would be if people could figure out how to use it. In short range mode, it fires faster than the Dapples in turret-mode, but you can also move around to use the firing mode to paint. For comparison, we have this:

FYI: “RepeatFrame” is the parameter that tells the game how many frames are between bullets, and SideStepOneMuzzleRepeatFrame is the hilariously long parameter for the Dualies’ turret mode fire rate. Fire rate is given by (60 f/s)/(# f/bullet).

Ballpoint (long): RepeatFrame = 5;
12*32 = 384 DPS
Ballpoint (short): RepeatFrame = 3;
20*32 = 640 DPS
Dapples: RepeatFrame = 5;
12*36 = 432
Dapples (turret): SideStepOneMuzzleRepeatFrame = 4;
15*36 = 540

Outside of sheer damage, the Ballpoint can reach Steelheads even with the short range mode, and if something is far away, like a Stinger, you have the option to shift to long range mode to take it out (at the cost of DPS). The reason I like the Ballpoint more than the Dapples is due to its ability to shift from an unparalleled painter and point blank shredder, to a Splash-O-Matic that fires as far as a Hydra.

TL;DR: Ballpoint is good, pls learn.

EDIT: just for the record, SR damage per bullet is actually different than the values above; in Salmon Run the Dapples deal 45 and the Ballpoint deals 35. This gives 420, 700, 540, and 675 DPS respectively.

Last edited:

BirdAndreo

Senior Squid
That's really interesting! I knew that Ballpoint has huge damage output, but not that it's faster than dapples! Mmm still dapples can abuse their super fast rolls...

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
That's really interesting! I knew that Ballpoint has huge damage output, but not that it's faster than dapples! Mmm still dapples can abuse their super fast rolls...
Another thing to keep in mind though, is that the Ballpoint has to undergo a cycle of charge-fire-charge-fire, and the charging periods every 9-10 bullets WILL reduce DPS. Usually those 9-10 bullets are enough to shred a Boss Salmonid though.

The Dapples are also classed as a “lightweight” weapon, and receive run and swim speed bonuses by default; the Ballpoint doesn’t.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
We all know the Hydra has its issues but is the splatling the best over all weapon class in Salmon Run?

Each class has its stars, we will pretend brushes do not exist.. They also have some real clunkers I think. When I see any splatling in a rotation I dont sneer or shake my head like when I see a gootuber or splattershot.

Last edited:

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
We all know the Hydra has its issues but is the splatling the best over all weapon class in Salmon Run?

Each class has its stars, we will pretend brushes do not exist.. They also have some real clunkers I think. When I see any splatling in a rotation I dont sneer or shake my head like when I see a gootuber or splattershot.
I’d probably come across as biased if I said that Splatlings were the best, mostly because I’ve used them consistently since the first game. What I like about them is how they piece together so many positive attributes of other weapons in their range bracket, with the only downside being the charge mechanic.

In general though, the best weapon class for SR is likely the Dualies. They’re all pretty mobile, all paint well, they all have a turret mode to bump up DPS (or in the case of the squelches, provide some slidey mobility), and they’re all very capable of taking out any Boss Salmonid.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Yeah, actually Splatlings have the highest fire rate in the game, but Ballpoint is particularly fast in its short fire mode - one bullet every three frames or 20 a second.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I never thought I'd say this. But High Tide on this new map is just fantastic. The fact that you always have the high ground makes taking out most bosses simple. But Griller on this map is quite hecktic.

Normal wave are honestly quite simple if you just get into the loop of get an egg and ride the rail up.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
This map is awesome. There're two ride rails at top, looping around the platform. You can jump onto another rail. This is useful especially when the top is full of Salmonids so you shoot or throw a bomb at them.

Though it doesn't work during glowfly round 'cause when you have glowflies on you and grind the rail, Salmonids rush to the end of rail you're riding (and run over co-workers in process). Unless you already mastered art of jumping rails in single player modes which is fine, I guess.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
So speaking of the Ballpoint, can we just talk about how the schedule was adjusted to coincide with the new map? I was really looking forward to using my cherished weapon again, but now I have to settle for a Heavy and a Bucket.

On the plus side, we won’t have to deal with the H3/ELitre/Blaster/Glooga shift that came next.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I must be in the minority that don't really like this map. I never liked ink rails in the first place, and having them be a core mechanic of this map sucks. Sure, you can use ink rails to avoid stingers and fly fish, but you can still kill a teammate in the process of using them. Being able to grind the rails while down is nice I guess, as well as they're always constantly inked.

But I guess that's just me.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I must be in the minority that don't really like this map. I never liked ink rails in the first place, and having them be a core mechanic of this map sucks. Sure, you can use ink rails to avoid stingers and fly fish, but you can still kill a teammate in the process of using them. Being able to grind the rails while down is nice I guess, as well as they're always constantly inked.

But I guess that's just me.
Like it or not, this map makes Salmon Run easier than ever before. Unlike Lost Outpost, the dev team didn't really give it too many downsides. It is vertical and includes inkrails - that lead straight to the egg basket (conveniently placed on the top might I add) - to increase the easiness in collecting eggs - arguably the hardest thing to do sometimes in Salmon Run. During Special Waves, the small area just works because of the Ink Rails best used for a quick escape from, say, a Griller, shooting the big line of Chums and Goldies after you, or reaching the coolers before they get too close to the ground in Mothership. Heck, you can even go on Ink Rails while splatted to hopefully meet up with an alive player to revive you near the egg basket who went on the rails himself, while in any other stage you need to crawl all the way to a teammate only to have them focus on killing a boss rather than helping you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom