• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
So apparently someone online has hacked to be an Octoling. I know it's unrelated, but playing with this person can corrupt your save file if the Octoling is loaded in your plaza. So be careful and play a few extra matches after meeting one, so they don't show up in your plaza.

Last edited:

LAG

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lag
Just calm down and evaluate why you're losing. A losing STREAK often implies that YOU are the problem, so you have to figure out what YOU are doing wrong.

That’s the hardest part, I think. Admitting that you’re doing something wrong. Once you accept that, try adapting / changing your combat style a bit. Try to fix whatever you think you’re doing wrong.

Another thing can be the battle format. I usually perform better in Splat Zones / Rainmaker than I do in Tower Control, for example.

I try to push myself to battle more in Tower Control even if I lose a ton of rank points to do so. I won’t get better if I don’t keep losing – losing teaches you something, so try to learn from it.

Is it frustrating? Kind of. Cool off in Turf War if you must, then try to evaluate what went wrong and try again. You can even try swapping weapons / changing your style of play in the Turf War as practice.

CinnaDonut

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SerFiora
Just calm down and evaluate why you're losing. A losing STREAK often implies that YOU are the problem, so you have to figure out what YOU are doing wrong.

That’s the hardest part, I think. Admitting that you’re doing something wrong. Once you accept that, try adapting / changing your combat style a bit. Try to fix whatever you think you’re doing wrong.

Another thing can be the battle format. I usually perform better in Splat Zones / Rainmaker than I do in Tower Control, for example.

I try to push myself to battle more in Tower Control even if I lose a ton of rank points to do so. I won’t get better if I don’t keep losing – losing teaches you something, so try to learn from it.

Is it frustrating? Kind of. Cool off in Turf War if you must, then try to evaluate what went wrong and try again. You can even try swapping weapons / changing your style of play in the Turf War as practice.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I think it is the hardest part also, not being able to admit there's a flaw somewhere in one's routine. You sir, get a round of applause

Reactions: LAG

Relados

Senior Squid
When I lose a few matches in a row, I'm the bigger man and I do the mature thing: blame my teammates until I'm blue in the face. I do this despite the fact that I roomhop a lot and rarely have the same ones.

Going to start doing squad battles with friends soon, so hopefully that'll break me of the habit and help me realize exactly where I'm at fault.

pooplooser

Full Squid
What I like to do is switch weapons, then immediately regret doing so because it doesn't work.
Lol, one match I sucked with the dynamo so I switched to the Krakon-roller.
Then there were SO many moments I could of used my dynamo to win. I regretted that.
This happens a lot, but a lot of the time I bring all of my negative "salt-energy" together to rant to myself how laggy the Japanese players are. Drop a tear. And play on

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
NOPE! I'M NOT PLAYING YOUR SADISTIC GAME ANYMORE! THIRD TIME IN A ROW FROM A+ 90S TO B+ 30S. YOU BETTER FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO PLAY YOUR ASININE, MONOTONOUS, C.OCKAMAMIE WASTE OF TIME; I'VE HAD ENOUGH.

Good luck to everyone else that hasn't had a mental breakdown~

Yeesh I come back for Splatfest and the server's on maintenence. They should've done that the day before.

Last edited by a moderator:

rndethan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rndmuch
When I start getting a lose streak, I keep on going until I fall down to A+ again and then I stop for the day... Either that or I'll actually be smart and just play some turf wars until I get bored of it and turn the game off.

I'm fully aware that I'm slightly crazy but knowing that I'll never be an S+ player, I really don't mind constantly going from S to A+ and vice versa.

SafetyPoncho

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SafetyPoncho
Depending on the mode or map, try a different weapon. Try with friends. Take it out on turf until your head cools down. I drop down a rank or so before I force myself to put it down. No use dropping like three ranks.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Depending on the mode or map, try a different weapon. Try with friends. Take it out on turf until your head cools down. I drop down a rank or so before I force myself to put it down. No use dropping like three ranks.
I'm starting to think that taking it to turf wars isn't always the best idea. Unless you already have a good attitude and low expectations on turf war then losing in that mode can make you even more salty. You have so little control in turf war that you could get 10+ kills and ink 1200p and still lose. So, if you do use turf war to cool off, remember to have the right expectations.

SafetyPoncho

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SafetyPoncho
I'm starting to think that taking it to turf wars isn't always the best idea. Unless you already have a good attitude and low expectations on turf war then losing in that mode can make you even more salty. You have so little control in turf war that you could get 10+ kills and ink 1200p and still lose. So, if you do use turf war to cool off, remember to have the right expectations.
Well the thing about losing in turf is it doesn't effect your rank, and if you're doing that well you're getting the points towards money and level anyhow. That's how I see it anyway.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well all I can say is to never give up. I started this thread after my second drop (in a row) from A+ to B+. And finally, after dropping a third time,

image.jpeg

I made it to S rank. Finally.

Everyone, thank you for your support!

Syd_Vicious3375

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ShelbyLynn08
Well all I can say is to never give up. I started this thread after my second drop (in a row) from A+ to B+. And finally, after dropping a third time,

View attachment 1845

I made it to S rank. Finally.

Everyone, thank you for your support!
Awesome! I'm having a hard time right now. I've been trying a bit a of a new strategy and I'm actually scoring higher and getting more KO's and getting spatted less but my team keeps losing. It's frustrating to say the least.

Lunastra

Inkster Jr.
NNID
albertpkvtruong
Awesome! I'm having a hard time right now. I've been trying a bit a of a new strategy and I'm actually scoring higher and getting more KO's and getting spatted less but my team keeps losing. It's frustrating to say the least.
Same I was at A+ 30 and I was doing he best on my team every time and now I'm down to A 14, plus every time I was about to win my internet would disconnect but every time I would lose nothing happened

LadyGhirahim

Inkling
NNID
Lady_Ghirahim
If I'm on a losing streak I just examine how I'm playing. Sure, it can be bad teams, but a lot of the time it's my fault. Ink control is usually the winning/losing factor.
It could also be that it's a mode/map I'm bad at.
I've never lost all the way from something like A to B though. That seems like it was have to be your fault, as mean as it sounds (unless its internet problems). Rank is a (somewhat flawed) measurement of your skill. It could be that you need to improve to stay among A and rank up.
I don't get too salty over rank anymore, though. I'm more focused on improving myself than improving my rank, and sometimes it takes a few losses to show me what I'm doing wrong.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
I haven't had to much trouble with the ranking system I have had those super losing streaks but after I go down a whole rank I will switch my weapon and if I get down to thirty after that I stop and play single player, it's always hard going up a letter you will go back down a few times I had that happen when I went from B+ to A- and I am currently dealing with it on going from A+ to S if you keep your focus on getting better you rank will tend to slowly rise and balnce out, and if you find a lobby you hate leave wait 60 seconds and come back it will change your lobby

the only benifit your rank gives you is more money at the end of the match

Scientisimo

Inkling
NNID
EvilestScientist
If I lose a match then I question what I could've done better. If I win a match I try to remember what I did well at and work on the stuff I didn't do well at. In losing streaks I just stop playing, get a glass of water and think about what I did wrong whilst looking for something good on TV.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
depends on the mode. if I'm in solo queue, I usually try and figure out where I went wrong. if I can't figure it out, I do TW for a bit.
that said, it depends on how bad it was and how I'm feeling. One time, couple months back, I had 3 rank downs and got kicked to B.
got so frustrated that I had to smash some stuff, and felt like I was seconds away from going postal.
thankfully, I've learnt to quit before then, and I've improved quite a bit.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
It's tempting to blame Splatoon's sometimes frustrating matching system, but as others have said it's valuable to examine how you can improve. With that said...

I don't have any doubt that Nintendo's matching algorithm and point award/deductions is a cause of what's being described as well. If they ever released the details I suspect we'd likely feel it can be unfair. I'm guessing they try to find a balance of things being fair and compelling, and that the compelling sometimes results in things being unfair. They simply can't account for everything in matching players or they possibly use aspects (such as winning/losing streaks) which aren't guaranteed to be reflective of how a player is actually playing. And there are aspects of how well a player is playing that can't be easily measured as well. And then there are really frustrating things like putting you on a team which is two or more full ranks lower than the other team when you're guaranteed to go down a rank if you lose.

I really wish they'd be consistent and upfront with point awards/deductions. The point system feels unfair sometimes.

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
For me, the best way to deal with a losing streak is to stop playing Rainmaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom