• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
Reading the OP's posts up to this point was so lulz

But yeah, whenever I deal with losing streaks from rank, I either play some Turf war, or just take a break in general. It's never good to play with an angry mindset.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I've since dropped back to A+ and gone back to S two or three times now, but it hasn't been a big deal anymore. The skill spikes INSANELY between A+ and S, so getting back up isn't so bad anymore. Also, since S had always been my main goal, I don't mind the losses like I used to. I mean, I ****ING DID IT! MY DREAM WAS REALIZED! So, since S+ isn't something I'm really shooting for (I'm at S 51, so it's possible I guess; but I mean come on, +2 for winning, -8 for losing? No thanks), ranked mode is just for fun now. And frankly, it's made it much better.

the only benifit your rank gives you is more money at the end of the match
  • And Major Bragging Rights
  • And Self-Gratification and Satisfaction
  • And Peace of Mind
  • And a Good Nights Sleep
  • And 3 Square Meals a Day
  • And Free Wi-Fi
  • And A New Car
  • AND A SALT-FREE EXISTENCE

Last edited by a moderator:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
So, since S+ isn't something I'm really shooting for ... ranked mode is just for fun now. And frankly, it's made it much better.
I hope you're able to keep your rank around that range. My son (9 years old) worked his way up to S over a few months, never dropping a rank. He got a bit too proud about being an S and started using weapons he wasn't good at. He dropped back to A+ and then had a continued losing streak over a few days down to low A.

Recently I've been stuck between A/A- and whether I win or lose seems to have no relation to how well I play. I went from mid-A to mid-A- in one day recently and I'm playing much better now than when I was a high A+.
When I finally make progress I suddenly find myself repeatedly on either disorganised teams or I have teammates doing unhelpful things.

I'll never forget a dude the other night. It was rainmaker on kelp dome. Another teammate had inked a path nearly to the goal. The dude with the rainmaker was just sitting in the middle trying to fight. I went and splatted the guy he was trying to fight. There was no one there but he was just bouncing and shooting for a good 5 seconds in one place. I was trying to get his attention but he did nothing different. Eventually the other team came and he got splatted. And we lost...

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I hope you're able to keep your rank around that range. My son (9 years old) worked his way up to S over a few months, never dropping a rank. He got a bit too proud about being an S and started using weapons he wasn't good at. He dropped back to A+ and then had a continued losing streak over a few days down to low A.

Recently I've been stuck between A/A- and whether I win or lose seems to have no relation to how well I play. I went from mid-A to mid-A- in one day recently and I'm playing much better now than when I was a high A+.
When I finally make progress I suddenly find myself repeatedly on either disorganised teams or I have teammates doing unhelpful things.

I'll never forget a dude the other night. It was rainmaker on kelp dome. Another teammate had inked a path nearly to the goal. The dude with the rainmaker was just sitting in the middle trying to fight. I went and splatted the guy he was trying to fight. There was no one there but he was just bouncing and shooting for a good 5 seconds in one place. I was trying to get his attention but he did nothing different. Eventually the other team came and he got splatted. And we lost...
Your son scares me if he's that good at 9 (I'm 17). I hope I don't have to play a game against him when he's my age.

About how it's easier for you to play on ranked now that your rank has gone down: it's because your fighting weaker players. It's the same for me when I drop to A+; they're nothing compared to S players.

Oh and my condolences for your Rainmaker idiot. There's always someone like that (let's not count that time on Moray Towers where I thought I could hide behind my sides Rainmaker Pedestal and cost us the game because you can't take the Rainmaker behind it, you explode).

Last edited:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Your son scares me if he's that good ar 9 (I'm 17). I hope I don't have to play a game against him when he's my age.

About how it's easier for you to play on ranked now that your rank has gone down: it's because your fighting weaker players. It's the same for me when I drop to A+; they're nothing compared to S players.

Oh and my condolences for your Rainmaker idiot. There's always someone like that (let's not count that time on Moray Towers where I thought I could hide behind my sides Rainmaker Pedestal and cost us the game because you can't take the Rainmaker behind it, you explode).
That's hilarious! :)

I enjoyed the games a lot better when I was an A+ playing ranges from A to S+. When I went down to A and A- I'm sometimes paired in all B+ games. Those games are disappointing. A and A- games can be frustrating enough. It makes me play worse.

My son is surprisingly good. My other son is 4 and he was up to A. He's A- now. The only reason he isn't higher is because he lacks focus sometimes, preferring to fiddle around. I have to scold him and remind him he's playing on a team. It's really shocking how good they both are. I have to limit their play to 30 minutes a day.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
That's hilarious! :)

I enjoyed the games a lot better when I was an A+ playing ranges from A to S+. When I went down to A and A- I'm sometimes paired in all B+ games. Those games are disappointing. A and A- games can be frustrating enough. It makes me play worse.

My son is surprisingly good. My other son is 4 and he was up to A. He's A- now. The only reason he isn't higher is because he lacks focus sometimes, preferring to fiddle around. I have to scold him and remind him he's playing on a team. It's really shocking how good they both are. I have to limit their play to 30 minutes a day.
Yeah the ranked modes lose their difficulty factor once you pass that rank. Dropping down a rank or two makes it significantly easier, as I think it should be. While losing the challenge kinda sucks, there's no denying how great it feels when you can wipe the floor with the other team (a lot better than getting wiped).

I don't think I could live if I had kids that good at games. It'd kill my pride get decimated by own children at any game, let alone Splatoon. I don't think being a good video gamer at a young age is something to be particularly proud of, but it definitely shows your kids have quick-thinking, good reflexes, and pretty high intelligence. You gave them some good genes, I'm sure (meanwhile I'm stuck wondering why I only got the intelligence; I've played games my whole life, I've got good hand-eye coordination, SO WHY CAN'T I DODGE A BULLSHIT ROLLER THAT JUMPS AT ME FROM ABOVE!!????).

super squid

Inkling
I switch my weapons, if possible I switch to a new class (in other words I don't switch from a splat roller to a krak-on roller but rather to a aerospray mg)

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I don't think I could live if I had kids that good at games. It'd kill my pride get decimated by own children at any game, let alone Splatoon. I don't think being a good video gamer at a young age is something to be particularly proud of, but it definitely shows your kids have quick-thinking, good reflexes, and pretty high intelligence. You gave them some good genes, I'm sure (meanwhile I'm stuck wondering why I only got the intelligence; I've played games my whole life, I've got good hand-eye coordination, SO WHY CAN'T I DODGE A BULLSHIT ROLLER THAT JUMPS AT ME FROM ABOVE!!????).
My 8 year old better at splatting than me—he's one of those annoying Luna Blasters and Krakon Rollers that splats really well. And it's amazing to see my 4 year old react and make intelligent decisions so quickly. Though overall I've taught both of my sons other skills that are necessary and I'd say I'm a more intelligent player than they are. Not by much though :)

My 8 year old struggles with frustration in losing streaks. I told him what others have said in this thread they do to cope and he's started playing turf if he's losing and getting frustrated.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Losing streak in progress...down to B+. I haven't been that low in months.

I know it's tempting to say it's something I'm doing and I need to play better, and I've generally taken that approach and have improved a lot as a result. But when a few of my games were with A+, S, and S+ and I was among the top splatters even with a lowly Aerospray MG (I normally used the Octoshot but used the MG a bit too) and could hold my own at that level (I've played many games at that level and never had issues), then I can only put my losses down to the way Nintendo matches teams, which I'm certain is not completely random.

I wish Splatoon's developers would release the details so that we can all see what they're doing...

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Losing streak in progress...down to B+. I haven't been that low in months.

I know it's tempting to say it's something I'm doing and I need to play better, and I've generally taken that approach and have improved a lot as a result. But when a few of my games were with A+, S, and S+ and I was among the top splatters even with a lowly Aerospray MG (I normally used the Octoshot but used the MG a bit too) and could hold my own at that level (I've played many games at that level and never had issues), then I can only put my losses down to the way Nintendo matches teams, which I'm certain is not completely random.

I wish Splatoon's developers would release the details so that we can all see what they're doing...
I wouldn't mind the streaks and unfair matchups all that much if the point system was fair. I'd rather it be +5 for winning, +5 for losing-rather than + 10 this round, then -5 this round, then +2 this round, then -16 this one. It's too sporadic and it pisses me off.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I wouldn't mind the streaks and unfair matchups all that much if the point system was fair. I'd rather it be +5 for winning, +5 for losing-rather than + 10 this round, then -5 this round, then +2 this round, then -16 this one. It's too sporadic and it pisses me off.
Agreed on the point system.

With that said, the team arrangement can be just as unfair. Even in the B+ range I am still getting loss after loss. I don't even know how to play like these guys. It's like a free for all and complete luck which team wins.

There's no hope...I'm down to B+ 50-ish. I absolutely love some parts of the game but this is ruining it for me.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Agreed on the point system.

With that said, the team arrangement can be just as unfair. Even in the B+ range I am still getting loss after loss. I don't even know how to play like these guys. It's like a free for all and complete luck which team wins.

There's no hope...I'm down to B+ 50-ish. I absolutely love some parts of the game but this is ruining it for me.
Trust me when I tell you that there is ABSOLUTELY NO ONE that understands your pain better than me. Read through all of my posts, and you'll see. I suggest you take two days or so away from the game, and come back to ranked when the maps and mode are in your favor. It's not good to play it when you start losing that badly. I don't just suggest, but insist you try this out. Sometimes the best thing to do is walk away; this is one of those cases.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Trust me when I tell you that there is ABSOLUTELY NO ONE that understands your pain better than me. Read through all of my posts, and you'll see. I suggest you take two days or so away from the game, and come back to ranked when the maps and mode are in your favor. It's not good to play it when you start losing that badly. I don't just suggest, but insist you try this out. Sometimes the best thing to do is walk away; this is one of those cases.
I really appreciate your advice. Thanks for caring. However, before reading this I already played another session out of stubbornness. I was so stubborn I played even though it was splat zones, and that's by far my least favourite. I figured I'd try it out at a different rank—I was pretty much always getting matched with other B+'s.

I managed to get back to A- ... so I'm feeling better. Now just about 25 or so consecutive wins to get back to high A+ :)

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I really appreciate your advice. Thanks for caring. However, before reading this I already played another session out of stubbornness. I was so stubborn I played even though it was splat zones, and that's by far my least favourite. I figured I'd try it out at a different rank—I was pretty much always getting matched with other B+'s.

I managed to get back to A- ... so I'm feeling better. Now just about 25 or so consecutive wins to get back to high A+ :)
Yeah you've got a ways. At this point though, you should be done for a little while. You managed to get back to A-, so you should keep off of it until your nerves settle a little. It makes a world of difference.

Also, I'm glad my advice is helpful. It's what I was trying to do when I started this thread (besides having a place to go into rants).

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
When I'm having a losing streak, I will usually either switch over to playing Turf War for a bit or just switch to another game entirely. If Ranked is becoming too frustrating for me, there's no point in playing it because I'm not going to play well. So I might as well stop and let myself cool down for a bit before trying Ranked again and hopefully be better at that. Taking it out on innocent squids in Turf Wars is the perfect way to do that haha. :P It's also great if you encounter someone who is trying to squid party in Turf Wars. Really relieving and fun. c:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Yeah you've got a ways. At this point though, you should be done for a little while. You managed to get back to A-, so you should keep off of it until your nerves settle a little. It makes a world of difference.

Also, I'm glad my advice is helpful. It's what I was trying to do when I started this thread (besides having a place to go into rants).
I managed to get back up to A so far :)

It was a nice last tower control game too. A-, A, A+, and S ranked players. The other team was dominating from the beginning but we managed to get a knockout. 14 splats for me and splatted 5 times.

I've found that if I'm feeling tense and getting splatted a lot and I start playing more defensively and do more inking to keep better control of the map, and try to be more careful about pursuing splats, it seems to help me calm down and get back on track.

Axeliira

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Axeliira
Usually when I have a losing streak, I just set the game aside and take a little breather. Sometimes I just restart the game and hopefully I get matched with a better team. Going to turf wars also helps too, gives me a bit of practice and motivation. haha.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I managed to get back up to A so far :)

It was a nice last tower control game too. A-, A, A+, and S ranked players. The other team was dominating from the beginning but we managed to get a knockout. 14 splats for me and splatted 5 times.

I've found that if I'm feeling tense and getting splatted a lot and I start playing more defensively and do more inking to keep better control of the map, and try to be more careful about pursuing splats, it seems to help me calm down and get back on track.
Good! I spent last night cursing everyone that had a part in Bluefin Depot and Rainmaker's conception last night, fell to S 20's. I didn't drop that far but that's only because the points distribute much less in S rank, sometimes only changing by 2 points.

Also, **** Bluefin Depot

Also, **** Rainmaker

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
There's this demoralizing place called "Low S" where dropping to A+ is just as efficient as climbing back up to S 30. If I'm on a losing streak there I tend to keep going. I try to win of course, but when you're mad you do poorly...

Setting aside time to play Splatoon is frustrating enough because you may get Arrowana Rainmaker or something like that. If there's a decent map rotation you want to keep going even if you shouldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom