• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Podote

Inkling
NNID
Podote
RE: Matchmaking.

On my journey to A rank a few days ago I noticed there was an A+ player in the lobby and that same A+ player was always on top of the leaderboard at the end. AND they were always on the opposite team (I was typically on the top of the leaderboard for my team). The only time we were matched on the same team was when an S player dropped into the lobby (for whatever reason...). We ended up getting the same K/D and I ranked up so I couldn't do any more comparison. I just thought it was interesting because it didn't seem random at all.
I think Nintendo's matchmaking likes to see if you're able to compete at or around that level before putting you in there, resulting in, say, an A+ in your game when you're A-; unfortunately, if you have a weaker team, this isn't always a fair test. Still, complaining doesn't do much. I hate to say "get guud" but that's literally the only thing you can do to improve your rank; get better as a player instead of blaming matchmaking or bad teams or whatever. Not saying this is what you're doing, just advice.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
I haven't really been on a losing streak since I hit S, but I've been on a disconnecting streak which dropped me to A+, after that I just put the controller down for a loooong time. (Currently waiting for my friends to give me the heads up about Ranked not being ****e.)

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Unfortunate for me that i have a weapon that sometimes isn't good on all maps simply because I haven't played them enough yet to learn a proper plan. So lately I have been getting a lot of losing streaks. I tend to play till I either lose my rank or win it back...which is odd because Im in this odd combat with A- and A, I personally dont think Im an S rank person yet, but I do think Im an A+ at times.

My major problem though is simple consistent. Im just not one for it, so im more of a wildcard then an anchor for my team. Often I either have to learn what my current team is doing to see if I can be Offensive or Defensive. Most of the time I get hoodwinked into being Defensive because the enemy team is constantly pushing and I get very anxious to just rush in. I'm well aware of a lot of my behavior, but sometimes you just can't shake it.

Either way, I think simply being Ranked out of a match is a great cue to just leave and be happy that you can do something else for a change.

Momo

Inkling
NNID
cyan-greene
With my experiences with the ranking system, it seems to work in cycles. In a given session, you start with a cycle of pretty even games, then you start winning more and more. The issue here is that as you keep winning and your rank rises, it begins matching you with higher ranked players. Eventually these players' skill outclasses yours, which causes your losing streak. I think these streaks are just indicators of if your're improving or not though, because if you're getting a higher rank after each losing streak, it just means you're getting better. Need to work on writing things like these better.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
I deal with them very poorly. My emotions get messed up very easily with this game... I can have games where I get killed but I stay chill as hell, or the salt starts shaking out. It used to be about bad teammates and broken weapons but now it's just self hate for doing stupid **** or not executing something right (my aim is bad, I can get the perfect position on someone and I'll mess up a shot or two/over estimate my range and end up with a trade). I'm a very inconsistent player I've noticed, too.

As for how I actually deal with them, weapon swaps. I can't put the game down sometimes because I'm not satisfied with my performance.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
After getting up to S and staying around 45 points for a few days of playing, not getting much higher or lower, I had one of those losing streaks and went down to 5 in one session.

I wasn't even bothered at first, assuming it would correct itself. By the time I got down into the teens I felt that familiar sour feeling of unfairness in ranked battles.

Last edited:
NNID
namine753
Today I reached S rank....finally....now I will never touch ranked again and I will only do squad battles now. Jesus. Never again. Only turf wars for me.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Today I reached S rank....finally....now I will never touch ranked again and I will only do squad battles now. Jesus. Never again. Only turf wars for me.
Totally understand :)

I did actually go down to A+ when I played again today. And I stubbornly played through the insanity and managed to get back up to S again, so that was nice.

I'm concerned that while I'm looking for people to play in squad battles is that I'll get rusty not playing ranked games. So I'll keep playing, hoping I don't have an insane losing streak.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Totally understand :)

I did actually go down to A+ when I played again today. And I stubbornly played through the insanity and managed to get back up to S again, so that was nice.

I'm concerned that while I'm looking for people to play in squad battles is that I'll get rusty not playing ranked games. So I'll keep playing, hoping I don't have an insane losing streak.
He-hey, kudos! Getting back up to the rank you fell from in the same sitting is oddly satisfying. I'm glad you made it up there!

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
He-hey, kudos! Getting back up to the rank you fell from in the same sitting is oddly satisfying. I'm glad you made it up there!
All I can say is that it's a good thing the Splatoon designers aren't around when I'm on a losing streak as I'd handle it a bit differently if they were :)

Playing today, watching my last games as an S (again) and seeing the stupidity of the matching when I start playing. When I got down to A+ it went a little better at first only to continue downhill to around 50 points. Really getting tired of this.

NNID
namine753
All I can say is that it's a good thing the Splatoon designers aren't around when I'm on a losing streak as I'd handle it a bit differently if they were :)

Playing today, watching my last games as an S (again) and seeing the stupidity of the matching when I start playing. When I got down to A+ it went a little better at first only to continue downhill to around 50 points. Really getting tired of this.
this game's ranking system is really messed up. It relies on win streaks, which are extremely difficult when EVERYONE is trying their best.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Ugh....some days you have a vibe of +25, others you can't get out of toasty....

I always do poorly when I feel like I need to carry.

saladjohn

Inkling
This is a field I tend to struggle with. I'm currently at A+ (4) after dropping from 96. As I've ranked up, I've encountered constant streaks where I'd drop two or three full ranks. I know the smart thing to do is to take a break and cool down, but I wonder if anyone else struggles with what feels (at least to me) like giving up after a losing streak.
I usually switch up my weapon, like going to the back page of my weapon page and choosing the last one, its helped me get back on my feet, but idk

Zolda

Full Squid
For me, my usual cutoff point for losing streaks is 3-5 games in a row, then I just quit before it gets worse. It depends on my satisfaction with my own level of play though. If I'm on the losing team but feel that I performed well myself, I still feel motivated to keep trying because I know the outcome was out of my control and odds are I'll be able to find better luck next time. However, if I play poorly, I quit much sooner because I get far too frustrated with myself and I know I won't be able to play at my best when in that state of mind.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Well, my losing streak continued down to A 28. It was laughable watching my team get easily dominated game after game, even after I dropped into some A, A-, and B+ rank games. Eventually I got back up to A+, but then the losses started again so I stopped playing before going back down.

So I guess how I deal with losing streaks is to keep playing, do my best, and wait until Splatoon decides to take me off it. Waste of time I guess.

I think I'll put my theory to the test. When I get back up to S I'll start playing on another account. See if I experience the same phenomenon...

Last edited:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
And right back down to A 12 in less than an hour...

I'm just going to delete my NNID and start over. I have a strange feeling that it will go a lot better on another account. I have a few other good players in my house, one who is an S, and we all watch losing streaks like this in bewilderment. I had a vain hope that after getting to S it would stop, and then another vain hope that after briefly dropping to A+ but quickly getting back up to S that it would stop. So much for that hope!

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
And right back down to A 12 in less than an hour...

I'm just going to delete my NNID and start over. I have a strange feeling that it will go a lot better on another account. I have a few other good players in my house, one who is an S, and we all watch losing streaks like this in bewilderment. I had a vain hope that after getting to S it would stop, and then another vain hope that after briefly dropping to A+ but quickly getting back up to S that it would stop. So much for that hope!
I wouldn't delete my ID boss. That's a lot of wasted effort, only to have to do it all again.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
I had this losing streak from S 40 alll that pushed me all the way down to A 8 It was amazing because after i got sent down into A, I still got pitted up with S ranks and a few A+ which caused me to almost drop into A- . After winning a single match after the losing streak i was content. Some other time i would get back my rank (like the next day.). But this time since i've already made my goal of Rapid blaster to S rank, i've been playing a bit more "For fun" rather than actually trying to accomplish something (Other than better myself as a player).

About a day or so later, i just came back in with a positive mindset, and heck i went in with a Elitre scope, i weapon i have no idea how to use. But i still found it hilarious and entertaining and it was definitely worth playing. After a while of fooling around with weapons i switched back to the Hydra and a few of my mains, and then pretty soon i reached A+ again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom