• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I wouldn't delete my ID boss. That's a lot of wasted effort, only to have to do it all again.
Too late :) I'm much happier about it. I don't mind the wasted effort. I am a bit bothered to lose over 50 sea snails and clothes and weapons and lots and lots of squid bucks.

I've been enjoying playing turf. The matching system in turf matched me up really quickly with higher ranked players. Today at level 7 I was in lobbies with all level 50s.

Can I add you Isan to possibly play with whenever schedules happen to match up?

I like your attitude Yellowkirbyguy, thanks for the inspiration :)

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
After starting to play ranked games today at this lower rank with the eyes of an experienced player I am more convinced than ever that ranked game outcomes are deliberately influenced by Splatoon's matching and point system. It seems to me that it's more obvious when there's a larger discrepancy in player skill within the rank. I'm up to B rank and the player skill is equalising more so the matching system is starting to feel more like it did in A+/S ranked games.

FlyingInk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MyTurbo6
I haven't been able to climb over B+, however I'm really impressed with a lot of players in the B rank. I've seen videos of S players and honestly they typically aren't any better than what I've seen in lower ranks. I could probably squad up and get to A or S, however I really don't want to listen to a bunch of chatter while playing. Also I believe that voice/video were not intended for this game and I like to play the game as it was designed and not try to take shortcuts to be a player I'm not.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I haven't been able to climb over B+, however I'm really impressed with a lot of players in the B rank. I've seen videos of S players and honestly they typically aren't any better than what I've seen in lower ranks. I could probably squad up and get to A or S, however I really don't want to listen to a bunch of chatter while playing. Also I believe that voice/video were not intended for this game and I like to play the game as it was designed and not try to take shortcuts to be a player I'm not.
I too have seen some surprisingly good B players. I think the main difference you'll see in S players is better play as a team, faster play, and more familiarity with tactics.

The bad news is that I'm seeing the exact same antics in the matching system in the B range (I'm up to high B+, and I'm hoping to go up one rank each day I play, at least until A or A+ when I expect my progression will slow down. Hopefully I'll sidestep losing streaks). And an even worse point system—I can't even imagine how they awarded points in two back to back games I played, it made no sense at all. Embarrassing for the Splatoon developers in my opinion.

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
I am strange limbo between A+/ S. I haven't gotten past S 50 yet because as soon I get that high, I start to ton of bad luck. I get teammates that don't pull their weight, bad weapon combination, me loving to run into inkzooka and rainmaker (lol) and sometimes disconnect. After a while, I stop caring and just play regardless if I rank up or down. I try to take a break but I get too caught up into the game. I should break after 4 losses sometimes.

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
I noticed the game starts to cheat you when you reach 90 points or so. It's really noticeable when other good players tag around in a lobby. For your promotional you will almost never get any of them on your team.

No matter how many points I get robbed of I always know I can get it back. Your true skill never leaves you.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I noticed the game starts to cheat you when you reach 90 points or so. It's really noticeable when other good players tag around in a lobby. For your promotional you will almost never get any of them on your team.

No matter how many points I get robbed of I always know I can get it back. Your true skill never leaves you.
I've noticed this as well. On my climb to A rank I was in a lobby with an A+. I was NEVER on her team and we were constantly at the top of our leaderboards. We ended up just going for each other first because whoever won more 1v1 encounters with each other would likely get the win. Then on my last victory before I ranked up an S player dropped into the game and we finally got on the same team. The S player was at the top of the board and, I kid you not, the A+ player and I both had the same score. I guess the game tries to match you evenly, I just think it fails often.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Thanks for sharing Drip and Tim :) I can definitely relate to your comments.

Today, I got up to B+ 89 and unsurprisingly began experienced games where my team was totally outplayed and lost easily. The third game was especially revealing in my mind. The other team lost a player before the game started so it was 4 vs. 3, but my team barely won!

I see that third game as a clear sign of Splatoon deliberately matching my team up against another team where we were pretty much gauranteed to lose had they not lost a player. I suppose I could have upped my level of play (honestly I'm being a bit lazy in these games), but I shouldn't have to play at S level in order to rank up to A-.

Anyway, I did get up to A-. Funny considering I'll probably get up to A from C- in about the same time I fell from S to A :)

Last edited:

TACO

Inkling
NNID
thepantsman
I find it helps to have a schedule for playing, for example, i only play around 1/2 an hour a day, so it sucks to have losing streaks. the way i get around this is i always play 15m of turf wars before i play ranked, that way i'm warmed up. if i lose 2+ matches in a row, i play a match of turf war and then try again. hope that helped!

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I ended tonight at S 70. Let's hope I can keep it for more than two days.

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
Well I'm not really bothered with losing streaks anymore in ranked!

...because I'm one of those guys that only plays squad battles now so that I don't lose any points.

I'm S 50. I'm happy where I am, don't judge!

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I usually deal with losing streaks by three methods.

One, I play at a different time. The most likely time for me to have a losing streak is when all the Japanese players are active, which is around the evening to nighttime for me. The best winning streaks are around the afternoon, since North America and other countries are more easier to handle.

Two, I use an entirely different playstyle for the next few games. Depending on the success rate, I may either continue playing or follow my last option below.

I reroll my equipment's abilities until they seem viable competitively. Blaming yourself or your teammates is not a very ideal method of improving. Blame RNG!

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I had a great time in Ranked on Tuesday night. SUCKED MIGHTILY last night. My own inconsistencies and inability to keep a cool head really bothers me.

On a positive note, I guess, losing at TW doesn't bother me as much as it used to...

AidanC97

Senior Squid
NNID
aidancalhoun
I*f I have a losing streak I just find another group and go from there. I don't yell or scream at all, I just hope I get a lot of points lol

Crimsoninkling

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
BramWildenberg
Git Gud!

In reality I take a little break and then return fresher than ever(no pun intended) so I'll obliterate the bad guys.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
After starting over from scratch last Sunday I got up to A+ this last Thursday and level 25, didn't drop a rank, and got up to A+ 70 tonight, and guess what...?

Splatoon suddenly became a completely different game. My teams started getting hammered by the other team repeatedly all the way down to A+ 6. It didn't matter how well or badly I played. My game at A+ 6 was another sudden shift where my team hammered the other team. It was almost like an apology from Splatoon for all of the ridiculousness.

I continued winning after that and got up to 62, but then again the ridiculous matchups resumed. My last two games were probably the stupidest games I've ever seen. I stopped when I hit 32 points.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. Splatoon's matching system when it gets like this is offensive. If I wasn't convinced before that losing streaks are deliberately influenced by Splatoon's matching, I definitely am now!

My goal is to get back up to S before I reach level 30. It shouldn't be a problem, but it looks like Splatoon might not let me... :)

Last edited:

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
Well, decided to pick up Ranked for fun last night and dropped to S 31, oh boy...

Anyway, with regards to the poll, I'd say that the matchmaking overall isn't HORRIBLE, but it could definitely be a lot better. The system should really balance out conflicting ranks and weapons more fairly. I get that being completely random makes sure bias is completely non-existent and overall team skill should be able to take any win yada yada. But it's quite hard to deny that 4 S+ players matched with 4 S players is balanced purely because it's random, or if you have 4 chargers vs 4 shooters.

I think there should be at least some sort of algorithm to balance out matchmaking if it looks like the rank or weapon loadouts of each player have a chance to be highly juxtaposed when randomised.

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
There's 3 things I would say:

1) Take a break and find another rotation, people tend to only play at different modes and thus you encounter different people
2) Channel that anger and use it as focus (yes people use negative energy and turn it into power in some places)
3) Find out what you did wrong, plan out different strategies and use different weapons
Where did you get your signature? XD
But great advice. I usually just wait for a different mode that I know I'm good at or go draw for a bit until I've calmed down. Here I come S+

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
...I get that being completely random makes sure bias is completely non-existent and overall team skill should be able to take any win yada yada. But it's quite hard to deny that 4 S+ players matched with 4 S players is balanced purely because it's random, or if you have 4 chargers vs 4 shooters.
According to me, ranked is not completely random. There is obviously a random component since it's 8 individuals playing, but it seems to me that Splatoon matches things the way it does with an agenda, sometimes even matching up teams to influence an outcome. Not to suggest the Splatoon developers have deliberately nefarious reasons for it, who knows what they are thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom