• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Reminded today why I hate Splatoon. After a handful of wins and losses, enjoying playing, I get put on a losing streak from the mid-S 30's down to A+ 30 and still falling. I'm being matched on the weaker team, every single time. Not a coincidence. It's made me lose a lot of respect for Nintendo.

NNID
namine753
Reminded today why I hate Splatoon. After a handful of wins and losses, enjoying playing, I get put on a losing streak from the mid-S 30's down to A+ 30 and still falling. I'm being matched on the weaker team, every single time. Not a coincidence. It's made me lose a lot of respect for Nintendo.
maybe ur just a scrub

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
It happens, and it happens a lot. Their ranked system is wonky; If you wanna keep your rank, just stop playing once you hit a losing streak. There's no way to recover, and you'll see my frustration in my previous posts. I don't know what the **** their algorithm is for the matchmaking, but it sucks balls. When you lose, you LOSE.

NNID
namine753
in all seriousness though, there's a huge difference between being salty and downright insanity. You're claiming the game is conspiring against you. I lost my S rank after fighting in ranked for the first time in weeks, but them immediately got it back in 5 or so matches. It is a coincidence no matter how you put it. Sorry, but there's no programming yet found in the game that shows it tries to make certain people lose, it's just not there.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
in all seriousness though, there's a huge difference between being salty and downright insanity. You're claiming the game is conspiring against you. I lost my S rank after fighting in ranked for the first time in weeks, but them immediately got it back in 5 or so matches. It is a coincidence no matter how you put it. Sorry, but there's no programming yet found in the game that shows it tries to make certain people lose, it's just not there.
He's just ranting. We all do. The reason I made this thread is so that we could all vent when we hit a losing streak and support each other. Ridiculous? Maybe. Is there anything wrong with it? I don't think so. I feel the same way he does sometimes. Of course, there's no way that Splatoon is out to get him and wants him to lose, but the losing streaks in this game are so terrible, you can't help but feel that way. I'm not saying to pat him on the back and tell him it'll be alright, but try to at least understand where he's coming from. I doubt you were too happy when you dropped from S rank, and I know I wasn't the many times it's happened to me. But when a man's feeling down, the best option usually isn't to kick him in the face.
tumblr_inline_nrhhs67qb11t0c32s_500.jpg

And jsilva, please don't start arguing back about how in the wrong The Kid-Squid is, that would ruin the entire point I was trying to make.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Yes, that's what I've been saying for a while, though perhaps not how you're taking it.

At this point I have little doubt that Splatoon's ranked matching is not entirely random and that it can have an agenda. I think they use sophisticated metrics in matching players. And I do believe big losing streaks are influenced by Splatoon's matching system. I don't believe Nintendo has malicious intent however.

Why would Nintendo do that? I don't know. Perhaps it's as simple as user engagement. Games are meant to have a challenge and it's a way to maintain long-term user engagement (a cheap way, but effective none the less).

Like you I have briefly gone down to A+ and back up in the same session. I've been as high as S 68 on this NNID. But that kind of up and down is just a tiny bit of what I experienced yesterday. If you've never experienced it then I'm glad for you :) On this account I've had some tastes of it previously but didn't experience it in full force until last night. It was ridiculous.

I was ranting, like Isan said, but only partially...

Last edited:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
It happens, and it happens a lot. Their ranked system is wonky; If you wanna keep your rank, just stop playing once you hit a losing streak. There's no way to recover, and you'll see my frustration in my previous posts. I don't know what the **** their algorithm is for the matchmaking, but it sucks balls. When you lose, you LOSE.
:)

I actually created yet another NNID a few days ago and have played on it enough to get up to level 10 and I just started rank. When I get my main account back up to S I think I'll play on this other account to just have fun, without any goals to aim for.

It's a real let down though to have that insanity back in my life!

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
RAINMAKER IS BULLSHIT.

YEAH SURE, OK I GUESS I'M ONLY PLAYING HAMMERHEAD ****ING BRIDGE. I GUESS FLOUNDER HEIGHTS ISN'T FEELING IT TODAY.

OK, THE OTHER LUNA BLASTERS CAN ONE SHOT ME WITH A ****ING AOE BLAST. I GUESS THEY BROUGHT THAT BACK. MINE JUST MUST NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH.

THAT'S OKAY DUAL SQUELCHER, I WASN'T EXPECTING FOR YOU TO PLAY FAIRLY ANYWAYS.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT YOU GAL GUNS, I GET SCARED TOO. WHY DON'T YOU THROW OUT ANOTHER GOD DAMNED SPLASH WALL TO COVER YOUR DOUCHEY ***?

GO AHEAD ALL YOU BUBBLERS, KEEP BEING COMPLETE ASSHOLES.

HEY! YOU ****TY KILLER WAIL! YOUR MUSIC SUCKS- STOP MAKING ME LISTEN TO IT.

Oh hey! I got a kill!

YOU ****ING *****-*** SPLATTERSHOT JR.-

This was a rundown of my night.

Yeah, well

I have a couple important things to say

Splatoon

Why

And

Rainmaker

Stop

SleuthMechanism

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SleuthMechanism
Yeah had a bad day again today because i swear i have to hold the zone at kelp dome all by myself most of the time. honestly, i wish you could get points at a fast rate and play the modes and stuff outside of ranked since i really hate the ranking systems and all the pressure of what happens if your team loses and what you lose from it, etc. al it does is cause uneccesarry stress and rage towards horrible teammates when without all this crap we really wouldn't have to care so much.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
honestly, i wish you could get points at a fast rate
Unfortunately if things were that easy, we'd have questionable ranked players everywhere. People's ranks would not be reflecting their current skill (Ior improvised teamwork) level, a higher rate of team imbalance (In terms of skill). I can't imagine how much more "Salt" would be thrown at the game... probably enough to fill Saltspray rig? (You can shoot me now xD It's way too common to even laugh at..).I actually think Nintendo did a good job at the points system.

Personally i'd like S+ to remain hard to get into. It is the highest rank in the game, and i'd expect only the best players to be there.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I generally play something more chill. Wind Waker is a great cool down game. The old school Resident Evils are good too, as their puzzle-heavy gameplay takes your mind off of Splatrage and makes you focus on what you're doing.

If all else fails remember BlackZero's Life Pro Tip #27: keep a list of players who piss you off, create a Mii fighter in SSB or a custom fighter in Soul Calibur in their honor, and beat the ever loving **** out of them.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet

This was a rundown of my night.

Sorry man ... totally feeling your pain!

I haven't played much since my own insanity a few days ago but did play a bit yesterday and today and got back up to S.

For the time being I'll be playing on my other NNID without any pressure, focussing on continued improvement with the Luna Blaster and whatever other skills I can while I'm at it. If you want to play squad sometime let me know in advance so I use my main account.

By the way, I highly recommend starting from scratch on another account. For me at least, in a lesser skilled environment I've been noticing more I can do for my team and other skills that I didn't pick up the first time through.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Sorry man ... totally feeling your pain!

I haven't played much since my own insanity a few days ago but did play a bit yesterday and today and got back up to S.

For the time being I'll be playing on my other NNID without any pressure, focussing on continued improvement with the Luna Blaster and whatever other skills I can while I'm at it. If you want to play squad sometime let me know in advance so I use my main account.

By the way, I highly recommend starting from scratch on another account. For me at least, in a lesser skilled environment I've been noticing more I can do for my team and other skills that I didn't pick up the first time through.
I'm gonna stick to my original NNID, but I appreciate your concern. I feel that if I play against lower ranked players, I'll never get any better against the players in my actual rank (which basically makes it a Turf War equivalent to me).

Also, I only dropped from S 75 to S 59 (pretty sure), I just couldn't win more than one game in a row. And in S rank, this sort of stagnation is suffocating.

I'm fine with playing with any of your NNIDs, just send me a request. If we happen to be on, I don't mind playing with you. I usually tend to forget about though, so messaging me about it or something might help it happen.

Thanks for the support!

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
If all else fails remember BlackZero's Life Pro Tip #27: keep a list of players who piss you off, create a Mii fighter in SSB or a custom fighter in Soul Calibur in their honor, and beat the ever loving **** out of them.
That's a lot of devotion just to take out your anger. It wouldn't work for me though, since I'm not actually fighting the person.

I like your idea of playing a more relaxing game (heck yeah Wind Waker), but I think Resident Evil is more likely to make me cry than it is to relax me, I hate scary stuff.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I'm gonna stick to my original NNID, but I appreciate your concern. I feel that if I play against lower ranked players, I'll never get any better against the players in my actual rank (which basically makes it a Turf War equivalent to me).
I know what you mean. I've been somewhat concerned about that too, but on my main account—which as you may recall I created because I got sick of the shenanigans on my former main account—I got up to S in about a week and didn't have any problems playing at that level when I got back up there. In the lower ranks there are definitely times where I get used to the level of play and get sloppy, but it only takes a few games of getting embarrassingly splatted to get back on track. It's like riding a bicycle, no? :)

On my second just-for-fun NNID I'm up to B- after a couple of days of moderate play. There have actually been some really difficult games! I've found there are some really good players even in these lower ranks.

I'll friend request you on my second NNID...

Last edited:

Sasy

Inkling
NNID
aWanderingArtist
"How do you deal with losing streaks"

I hate to admit it, but when I go on a losing streak I get very discouraged and I don't play as well. Unfortunately, I say to myself to keep playing until I win, then I could take a break. Often, this doesn't have good results. This doesn't happen often, thankfully. It usually only does when I'm in an already bad mood from IRL things.

For minor losing streaks, I force myself to take a break from the game, and make myself a cup of tea or something of the sort. If I can't, then I go to turf, and squid on uninked turf, hoping someone would join me. Squid parties work too, I suppose.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I played Rainmaker today.

I don't know why I played Rainmaker today.

...I still suck at RAINMAKER

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I played Rainmaker today.

I don't know why I played Rainmaker today.

...I still suck at RAINMAKER
I don't know if you'd like this at all, but there's an excellent gamer who has a series of videos entitled 'S-Rank Adventures' which I found entertaining and educational. He goes from C- up to S.

Recently he started adding 'S+ Adventures' to the series. I just watched the latest two videos, which happen to be rainmaker, and I think he says and does some things which are essential to good rainmaker play. Maybe you might like it. He can be entertaining at least.

Here's the link to the first of the last two videos:

Dark G

Inkling
NNID
Neil94
I hate being "that guy" who faults his team for their demotion in rank but when your S+ teammates bring H-3 Nozzlenose's into ranked mode and on top of that don't make any effort to go anywhere near the rainmaker the entire match it's really frustrating. Splatoon's ranked system is silly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom