• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Generally when I'm losing, I try to calm down, and take in whether or not I'm just having a bad run of luck with the teams I get, or if my own play is the problem. If I'm satisfied with my play, that usually keeps me going and I can at least break even in terms of wins and losses. If I feel I'm doing bad, I cut my losses as they stand and I just go to turf war and use random weapons for fun to relax and bring up my general skill with the game, even if it is minor.

NiteHood

Inkling
If it's just a few in a row, I usually try to rethink my strategy based on why I think I lost the last few rounds. Or if I feel like it's just the people I'm playing with, I'll usually just quit and immediately rejoin to try playing with a new group of people. It helps freshen things up a little, and it lets me get away from whatever it was about the last group I was in that was frustrating me.

If changing strategies or groups doesn't work and I'm still continually losing, I usually need to quit for a while. It's really frustrating to see so many hard earned Rank points disappear, so usually I need to just leave and silently off steam for a while before I feel like I'm ready to play again.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Adjust my sensitivity. Plan on getting better sleep tomorrow. Play squads to see what is wrong with my play. Take a long break. Change weapons.Play turf wars. Play sm4sh. Watch streams. Check squidboards.
Go outside.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Just so you know, you both just lost your rights to EVER complain about teammates or DC's if you are purposely disconnecting and by that costing your teammates points...
They didn't lose rights to anything. It's mean to just disconnect from a battle but I didn't start this thread for an argument like this to start. Keep it nice please, everyone.

Njok

Bouncer
Lol i'm not here to start any arguments (i don't see what arguments they could bring to defend those actions anyway), but let me rephrase just in case: in my opinion this is a horrible way to deal with a losing streak. Take a break from splatoon if you can't end your losing streak. Go do something else, whatever. But i don't see why you would need to harm others because you are having a bad day.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
I was about to give up on life, but I decided to do something new. I never used the Disruptor sub, and I've never seen anyone use it until a couple days ago, and the enemy with it kept screwing me over with it. I wasn't aware of the effect it really had, so I figured I could try it out.

Boom. Win rate started increasing. I went full support and just focus spamming D-Bombs while worrying about killing less.

That's when I realized it was ME costing every team the game.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Lol i'm not here to start any arguments (i don't see what arguments they could bring to defend those actions anyway), but let me rephrase just in case: in my opinion this is a horrible way to deal with a losing streak. Take a break from splatoon if you can't end your losing streak. Go do something else, whatever. But i don't see why you would need to harm others because you are having a bad day.
Alright, I was just making sure it wouldn't become a pissing contest. I agree with you too, by the way.

Njok

Bouncer
I was about to give up on life, but I decided to do something new. I never used the Disruptor sub, and I've never seen anyone use it until a couple days ago, and the enemy with it kept screwing me over with it. I wasn't aware of the effect it really had, so I figured I could try it out.

Boom. Win rate started increasing. I went full support and just focus spamming D-Bombs while worrying about killing less.

Disruptor spamming is so much fun. It not only has the power to end losing streaks, i would go as far as to say they can cure depressions :D

Also, hello fellow gunslinger!

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Disruptor spamming is so much fun. It not only has the power to end losing streaks, i would go as far as to say they can cure depressions :D

Also, hello fellow gunslinger!
But God, being on the recieving end is the worst

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm S ranked at 30 points, what I normally do when I'm playing random ranked is something like this (to avoid bursting in anger):
  1. Play 3 matches: If I lose all 3 then I go to Turf Wars
  2. Play more 2 matches (total 5): 4L 1W -> Go to Turf
  3. Keep playing until I lose 2 matches in a row... :D
This is all because losing 3 in a row normally makes me REALLY mad :D

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Wait what?

I was playing Turf War and we'd already lost the game...

So I took a break from Splatoon, just you like suggested. o_O

sayaka_abstergo

Inkling Bounty Hunter
NNID
sayaka_abstergo

Dang, that's actually a great tactic. Might use that in the future, since it seems like I'm the one pulling the team down every match.

Shuffl3z

Inkling
NNID
Dshuffl3z
I'll rage, get off the game for a bit and play/run with my dog for a bit until I'm cooled down.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I love Splatoon, but the rank system is totally wonky, they dole out points based on the ranks of the teams playing, so if your S rank team faces another team of S rank squids, you'll never lose or gain more than 5 points, but if the other team has an S+ player and everyone else in the room is S, you'll gain 6 for winning and lose 4 for losing, but the inverse also applies; if the other team has an A rank player and everyone is S, you'll lose 7 points and gain like, 2.

It's frustrating since in lower ranks, you can go down as much as 16 points from one loss, but only gain 6 points from winning, meaning that if you break even, you're still playing at a deficit.

I'm fortunate enough to have made it to S, but since squads don't get you any points, I have to wrestle with the system, meaning Im gonna be S ranks for a lonnnnnnggg time.

Anyway, for losing streaks, its all about if you're having fun. I can lose but still keep playing since im still having a good time playing splatoon. If you're going down to the point where you're nearly deranked and cursng the world for your losses, you gotta ask yourself if you're having fun, and if not, stop.
It helps to wait for a rotation you're good at, I can't stand SZ so I do something else till RM comes on.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I just stop playing the game, and then play something like Devil May Cry. Slaying demons with style is rather relaxing. Why play a game when it is currently frustrating you to the point you may break your gamepad?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I stop playing for days, which is good for my mental health, but also bad because I will never actually improve by doing this every time I get discouraged.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I did good during the Splatfest; since it's just NA players there was less lag and it was easier. (Team Science still lost though...)

Okajin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Okajin
I lost a rank going from A- 55 to B+ 62.I'm climbing slowly trying to manage the whole world that separate those ranks in terms of skill and game awareness

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom