• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How many of us have made it in to A+ Rank in Splatzones?

kiwi_tea

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kiwi_tea
It feels like I'm on an endless, days and days long string, of going c. double-digits to four or so, while my whole team goes 0/11. I'm trying to be very Zen about it, but there's a point at which this feels like wasting time for an impossible reward. Tips? I'm so lost.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
It feels like I'm on an endless, days and days long string, of going c. double-digits to four or so, while my whole team goes 0/11. I'm trying to be very Zen about it, but there's a point at which this feels like wasting time for an impossible reward. Tips? I'm so lost.
Only tips I can offer as someone that shares your pain is A) leave if there's 2 or 3 players in the room that are clearly under performing, you'll eventually find a competent team and this gets more common as you climb the ranks. B) play some turf war if it's getting to you, or your performance will drop too.

I went from A 82, to A- 70, straight back to A 30, and then tilted completely down to A- 30 because I was making the above mistakes (as well as some genuine performance errors which I mulled over). I'm getting there now, I'm back at A- 74 and it's going a lot smoother this time around.

kiwi_tea

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kiwi_tea
Only tips I can offer as someone that shares your pain is A) leave if there's 2 or 3 players in the room that are clearly under performing, you'll eventually find a competent team and this gets more common as you climb the ranks. B) play some turf war if it's getting to you, or your performance will drop too.

I went from A 82, to A- 70, straight back to A 30, and then tilted completely down to A- 30 because I was making the above mistakes (as well as some genuine performance errors which I mulled over). I'm getting there now, I'm back at A- 74 and it's going a lot smoother this time around.
I think part of my problem is I use a squelcher for the range. It means I offer great support, but if my front of the line sucks, I have to rush in from far off and try to take the tower and then hold it with a long-range weapon. So I'm one step behind close rangers like Tentateks. I'll give it a think. I really hate how Ranked is forcing me to choose from an increasingly limited range of weapons, instead of incentivising me to use good weapons well.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
I think part of my problem is I use a squelcher for the range. It means I offer great support, but if my front of the line sucks, I have to rush in from far off and try to take the tower and then hold it with a long-range weapon. So I'm one step behind close rangers like Tentateks. I'll give it a think. I really hate how Ranked is forcing me to choose from an increasingly limited range of weapons, instead of incentivising me to use good weapons well.
Use the custom, burst bombs are good at forcing people back and you can always save kraken for when teammates let you down and you need to go on the offensive. In higher ranks, you won't have this problem. Where are you currently if you don't mind me asking?

kiwi_tea

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kiwi_tea
Use the custom, burst bombs are good at forcing people back and you can always save kraken for when teammates let you down and you need to go on the offensive. In higher ranks, you won't have this problem. Where are you currently if you don't mind me asking?
I haven't broken past B+, and in the past couple of days have fallen to C+, consistently getting K/D mvp, but not winning matches. I just went 19/3 and still lost. Though at this point, I'm in bloody C ranks, so there's nothing to boast about. I know I'll get back up the ranks. I'm just wondering if I need to adopt a closer range weapon to do it.

Edit: You know. I'm not deluded. I don't *deserve* to be up in A+ or anything. I'm just clearly outplaying (or at least, out-killing, which I realise is not the same thing) everyone in the ranks I am in, and still dropping. I think I'm just skewed too heavily towards a support role by nature of my play style.

Last edited:

Howl7

Pro Squid
Well, if you are always the best in your team and the others sucks, i think that you need good luck and maybe you are too stressed at cause of this bad luck with random teammates and you don't see that you don't play well as usual, try to don't play at Splatoon for 2-3 days, if you can't, try to don't play ranked.
Then look at some videos of good players that use your favourite weapon, maybe you find some good tips. Study maps to know where is better to go in every kind of situation and look always where are your teammates, don't go to attack alone. Sometimes is good to use the c'mon/booyah buttons, some of your teammates will appreciate it. Try different weapons sets and gears, test them in turf war.

Njok

Bouncer
I haven't broken past B+, and in the past couple of days have fallen to C+, consistently getting K/D mvp, but not winning matches. I just went 19/3 and still lost. Though at this point, I'm in bloody C ranks, so there's nothing to boast about. I know I'll get back up the ranks. I'm just wondering if I need to adopt a closer range weapon to do it.

Edit: You know. I'm not deluded. I don't *deserve* to be up in A+ or anything. I'm just clearly outplaying (or at least, out-killing, which I realise is not the same thing) everyone in the ranks I am in, and still dropping. I think I'm just skewed too heavily towards a support role by nature of my play style.
I'm having the same problems (B52 now). The most important thing is to just keep playing your best and analyze whatever mistakes you make.

For me, i realized that i am letting myself get killed too much. I'll have the best k/d often, but if that is like 15-7, it means i have been away from where i need to be 7 times. Which is way too much.

For example, i would gladly take out 2 opponents and get killed in the process. I would think that my 3 remaining teammates can deal with the 2 opponents left. However, that is exactly my problem. I complain about bad teammates but in the same time leave them to do the thing which i am saying they are bad at.

I'm not saying you are doing this, or anything else, wrong too. It's just an example. Point being just focus on your own play because there is unfortunately very little else you can do.

LemonPlaid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Exo-Josh
Yo everyone just acts like A+ is where the actually good players are, but most everyone just thinks the game is team deathmatch and forgets about the objective, please check the amount of alive playera at the top occasionally and adjust. I figure I'd seem some people on Squidboards in ranked so please! If your team is dead, pull back and play defensively, if the the the enemy team is all dead, then push ahead and secure what you need to for when the enemy team comes back alive. That simple

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

Like seriously ranked, screw you. you WILL NOT deny me. Took me way too long to get this rank tbh but SOOOOO many bad rotations and crap people landed on my team like the plague, legit thought i'd never get it but persistence is key.

Next post, you will see me at A+ 99.

Last edited:

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
Nope, probably never will...

What are some good weapons at I can use to get there? I was doing good and winning a lot with the Dual Squelcher yesterday but now I'm about to go back down to B.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I just now realized why I keep constantly fluctuating between B+ and A-, I keep binge playing and when I suddenly run into that/those guys who just.... suck, I get mad and then my skill takes an awful dive from there. A terrible habit I get from League of Legends...

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I didn't think I ever would be but I got to A+ 99 and stayed there for a bit. But then Moray Towers happened one rotation and pushed me into A territory again :P

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Nope, probably never will...

What are some good weapons at I can use to get there? I was doing good and winning a lot with the Dual Squelcher yesterday but now I'm about to go back down to B.
I think the mostly used weapons in A+ are Elite 3K, splattershot (all variants), squelcher SP, Gal family and Dynamo Rollers (though I´ve been seing less of this one lately). I´m not A+ myself (currently A), but I´ve played a lot against A+ and I always come against people using one of those. I myself changed the Standard Roller for the Dynamo and am doing pretty well with it.

However the most important thing is to learn how to play each mode. This is a team game, which means that you must always prioritize the team objective before getting a good K/D ratio. Specially in Tower Control I´ve been seeing that a lot of times the team who wins has a worse K/D ratio than the one who lost. Conversely, when I get an awesome K/D ratio my team loses more times than it wins, but when I get a bad or average K/D ratio (eg: 9/8, 4/5) we win most times. In Splat Zones however I think it´s more important to stay alive for longer periods and for example, look for a position to continue inking the zone safely instead of engaging the enemy so when your team returns it´s much easier for all of you to clear the opposition. But well, I use a Dynamo so I can defend a location easily against almost any kind of weapon.

Also, try to do unexpected things. A common mistake I see is whole teams being destroyed time an time again in the same location. If the enemy has a hold of the center in the Skaterpark don´t rush in to the splatzone through the shortest path, try instead doing a detour from the path in the right to surprise the enemy. Maybe you´ll be able to get them and break their hold, maybe they´ll kill you but you have become a distraction that has allowed the rest of your team to push through...Don´t wait to do this until there are only 10 seconds left, sometimes I do it right at the start of the match so if the worse comes to happen I have already inked the way.

Always keep an eye on the map so you know where your teammates are and what they are doing and be careful when superjumping. In general, NEVER JUMP TO THE SPLATZONE! 9 out 10 times there´ll be someone waiting for you.

Hope this helps

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
Right now, I am A-. I am itching closer to A which I will be really happy to get to since it make it unlikely for me to go back to B rank.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Sitting at A 68, so weird though 'cause the games I do crud in I win and the games I get an impressive KDR I lose D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom