• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

If this Paper Mario Wii U rumor is true, let me just say I am hyped as hell.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Hello everyone, I'm Nintendo, here to tell you about the cool new features in Paper Mario: Color Splash (Sequel to Sticker Star)

1. No partners, everyone hated those. We're bringing back Kersti, reincarnated as a paint bucket, and this time, she'll be even more obnoxious and annoying!

2. Since no-one likes traditional battle mechanics, you get to use cards to fight your enemies! Even better than stickers, since it looks even more limited!

3. No experience, so no need for grinding, or any fighting at all! You can just run past everything!

4. Confirmation that we won't ever use the awful, complicated fighting mechanics of badges! We like simplicity, so all you need to do is play a card!

5. Boring characters and story, so you can just focus on gameplay, which is equally dull!

6. We are brining back everyone's favorite feature from Sticker Star, the realistic looking, confusing giant attacks with boring 20 second cutscenes!

7. A linear map, so you don't have to wonder where you need to go next!

Glad to see everyone is so hyped for this game! Since sticker star sold 20 bajillion times better than the first 3 paper mario game, we are expecting this amazing sequel to please fans and make more people want to buy the WiiU! We hope no-one likes challenges like The Pit of 100 Trials, since it won't be in this game!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Oh come on, they barely announced it and y'all are acting like it's the end of the ****in' world.

Not that I have any interest in this myself, but it just seems a little over-the-top at this point.
It's more dissapointment than anything. I remember playing the original PM and the sequel PM: TTYD and untill now i still hoped for a sequel that would've been more true to it's roots. I mean, both of those games (and especially TTYD) are some of my most favorite games of all time. I thought of Sticker Star as a one-time screw-up, but now that we're getting Sticker Star: The Sequel it looks like it's going to be routine at this point dashing any expectations of getting a sequel of old. 15 years of wait, all down the dumpster.

It's especially baffling because the original games are still popular 15 years later, they were that good and charming. Yet in the trailer there's the return of the infamous map screen and none of the custom characters from the older characters, aside from one floating paint bucket. It's going to be Sticker Star all over again.

ripp paper mario

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
...Maybe Nintendo hasn't made another TTYD-style Paper Mario because they can't top TTYD?
That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

I'm... not hyped by Color Splash.
But I'm optimistic.

Yes, it looks like it's gonna take after Sticker Star (I didn't play that one, partially because I was focusing on college at the time and partially because it didn't look good), but is that necessarily a bad thing?

After all, this means they can look at the stuff Sticker Star did poorly (for example, the as-far-as-I-know-Sisyphean battle system) and improve upon them (using that example, actually reward the player for beating enemies). After all, they have the benefit of hindsight (and knowledge of Sticker Star's missteps), so perhaps they'll produce a better game on the second shot.
It's the same thing The Thousand Year Door did, just with a better Paper Mario (the original one) as the base game being improved upon.

And besides, it's a less-than-two-minute reveal, which probably isn't telling us some important details that maybe would make us warm up to it a bit more (Metroid Prime: Federation Force just did that for me yesterday; I wasn't feeling much one way or the other, but after yesterday I'm actually kinda looking forward to it). Let's not brace for disappointment until we have more information.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Wow, I know I'm going to sound hypocritical because I was one of the many that gave up, not entirely however; when I saw Metroid Prime: Federation Force (I have my reasons), but people are giving up a bit fast on this. Sticker Star maybe bad, but at least it's a Paper Mario game and not shamelessly using the Paper Mario title the way they are using the Metroid Prime title. Hopefully this new Paper Mario game will improve on where Sticker Star failed, as @ILikeKirbys said. If anything, I hold out hope on this. Maybe there is something that is yet to be shown, a golden nugget if you will, that'll shine beyond the muck that is the trailer as it is now.

Looking at the video though, it looks like Sticker Star with elements from Thousand Year Door. This could become something rather great. If anything, I got a good laugh out of one of the powers where a giant fan blows the enemies at the screen. Classic Mario slapstick right there. While others maybe not looking forward to this, I'm already liking what I see. It maybe not all great, but the humor Mario is known for could be something that could be a saving grace, if executed right. Let's wait and see what it could offer once a new trailer showing more comes up.

Last edited:

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
I want to trust Nintendo so hard, I want to believe it'll be good... but can you blame me for being cautious? Sticker Star made me feel betrayed, and I don't want that feeling again.
Needless to say, I'm gonna wait until reviews happen and there is a general agreement as to whether or not it is good or bad before I even consider buying it.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I want to trust Nintendo so hard, I want to believe it'll be good... but can you blame me for being cautious? Sticker Star made me feel betrayed, and I don't want that feeling again.
Needless to say, I'm gonna wait until reviews happen and there is a general agreement as to whether or not it is good or bad before I even consider buying it.
Can't blame you, mate. I'm doing the same thing.

As cautiously optimistic as I am, Color Splash does appear to be quite similar to Sticker Star, so CS needs to demonstrate that it has made considerable improvements over its predecessor before I'll grab it, which for me means waiting for gameplay videos to see if I'll like what it is.

Got my fingers crossed for Color Splash to be good, but even if it winds up being crap, at least I have a couple of other games to look forward to (Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, Kirby: Planet Robobot).

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It's more dissapointment than anything. I remember playing the original PM and the sequel PM: TTYD and untill now i still hoped for a sequel that would've been more true to it's roots. I mean, both of those games (and especially TTYD) are some of my most favorite games of all time. I thought of Sticker Star as a one-time screw-up, but now that we're getting Sticker Star: The Sequel it looks like it's going to be routine at this point dashing any expectations of getting a sequel of old. 15 years of wait, all down the dumpster.

It's especially baffling because the original games are still popular 15 years later, they were that good and charming. Yet in the trailer there's the return of the infamous map screen and none of the custom characters from the older characters, aside from one floating paint bucket. It's going to be Sticker Star all over again.

ripp paper mario
See, I don't have nearly as much experience with the Paper Mario franchise as y'all do. I've only ever played Super Paper Mario and a little bit of the first game. So I don't have as much passion for the series, thus I don't bear any ill will toward Sticker Star.

So from the outside looking in, I can hardly fathom the amount of hatred I've seen for Color Splash. And I can't exactly agree with all of it.

I mean, it's just been unveiled. I know, I know, sometimes a game looks like crap at the start and turns out to be crap on release (cf. Amiibo Party, Sonic Boom). But does that have to be the norm? I'd rather wait until E3 or whenever they give us a hands-on look at it before dismissing it as 3rd-rate garbage.

(By the way, it might be wise to update the thread title, seeing as it's not a rumor anymore.)

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
See, I don't have nearly as much experience with the Paper Mario franchise as y'all do. I've only ever played Super Paper Mario and a little bit of the first game. So I don't have as much passion for the series, thus I don't bear any ill will toward Sticker Star.

So from the outside looking in, I can hardly fathom the amount of hatred I've seen for Color Splash. And I can't exactly agree with all of it.
Don't act so surprised then. The only people mad about Color Splash are those who have played the series (for the most part) in its entirety. We have good reason for being so mad, and while it may sound childish, it's a bit harder to understand when you aren't nearly as affected as others.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
After all, this means they can look at the stuff Sticker Star did poorly (for example, the as-far-as-I-know-Sisyphean battle system) and improve upon them (using that example, actually reward the player for beating enemies). After all, they have the benefit of hindsight (and knowledge of Sticker Star's missteps), so perhaps they'll produce a better game on the second shot.
If they do this, it could actually be a decent game, as long as they also do some other stuff to make the battles a little more fun. It still won't be better than TYD though

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Don't act so surprised then. The only people mad about Color Splash are those who have played the series (for the most part) in its entirety. We have good reason for being so mad, and while it may sound childish, it's a bit harder to understand when you aren't nearly as affected as others.
What, so I'm not allowed to think it's getting a little over-the-top?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
If they do this, it could actually be a decent game, as long as they also do some other stuff to make the battles a little more fun. It still won't be better than TYD though
Yeah, I doubt they'll top TTYD, unless the details left out of that Nintendo Direct reveal (and I'm betting there's a bunch of stuff they couldn't fit in there) are crazy awesome.
Which I doubt.

And y'know, I've been thinking about how the whole painting-cards thing might work...
Maybe the cards work more like the command blocks from the Mario & Luigi games. You know (or maybe you don't, I dunno), where you select a block (or card, in this case) from a menu of a bunch of cards (or maybe hands, with an Attack hand containing the usual Jump/Hammer commands as cards as well as various other, maybe-one-time-use cards, while an Item hand would have all the items you've collected as cards, maybe a Run Away card...), then select a paint to apply to the card...
Or just play the card without painting it. It'd be used as a "standard" option, not having the advantages of a painted command, but also not using up any paint. Painting a card would, of course, use up your precious paint resources, but would grant additional effects to the card, creating a system where you need to decide whether that extra benefit now is worth using, since you may require a paint effect later before you've had a chance to get more paint (and of course there would be ways to replenish your paint outside of battle, though I wouldn't make them infinite, and ways to do so in battle, which would be rare or expensive consumable items; maybe it'd slooooooowly regen on its own too, so you wouldn't be absolutely screwed if you ran out at a bad time). While the different paint colors would have different effects, what exactly those effects would be would probably depend on which color was used an which card it was used on. For example, the Jump card could have just the normal jumps-on-the-enemy-twice that is standard for Mario RPGs, while painting Jump red could add more damage, while blue could allow Mario to jump on enemies he normally couldn't (like spiky enemies, or flaming ones), and yellow would allow Mario to jump on all enemies in a row (action command here would just make the jumps deal more damage, rather than allowing you to jump to the next enemy). How much paint was spent painting the card could affect the buff given by painting; for example, with the Jump card, spending a little yellow paint would make Mario jump once on each enemy, but using more yellow would make Mario jump on each enemy multiple times (more yellow spent adds more hits to each enemy). Additionally, you could combine paint colors to get multiple sets of properties at once, albeit at a reduced amount (to justify this in-game: since you're mixing the paints, it dilutes the benefits each color provides, or something); so sticking with the Jump card example, using some red and yellow paint would make Mario jump on each enemy, but with slightly increased damage.
Using this system, the Paint Hammer could also be rather interesting, I think. You could still paint the Hammer card (and a non-painted Hammer would just perform the Paper-Mario-standard pull-back-and-swing hammer attack), but painting wouldn't bestow new properties onto the attack. Instead, the Paint Hammer would be used to paint enemies, which could be the equivalent of inflicting status effects. Red paint could increase the damage enemies take from Mario's attacks, blue paint could remove enemy defenses (such as dulling spikes or putting out fires so that Mario can jump on the enemies), and yellow paint could make enemies deal less damage with their attacks. Using more paint would increase the duration of these effects, but additionally, if enough paint is used on the Hammer card for a single action (cumulative, so each color used contributes toward the threshold), the hammer will create a Color Splash, a paintsplosion that damages applies the status effects to all grounded enemies (and if you use a lot of paint, you could hit airborne foes with the Color Splash as well, though the amount of paint used would make it impractical).
Items would also be paintable, of course, and painting different items could have a variety of different effects, depending on the item used.
The run-away card I mentioned up in the first paragraph would not be paintable. You'd just play it and exit the fight, sans whatever penalty you lose for fleeing.
And Mario could spend a turn to paint himself, as well. Doing this would confer buffs onto him for as long as the paint remained, these buffs being roughly the opposite of the Paint Hammer debuffs for red and yellow, while blue could maybe give Mario more actions per turn. Paint would come closer to coming off of Mario for each action he takes. This is done primarily to balance blue paint (could become kinda broken otherwise, I fear).
Of course, cerain enemies would be able to take advantage of this as well (I'm picturing something like the Spiky Goomba from TTYD, but with a brush-hat instead of a spike-hat). These enemies would be able to paint not only themselves (some might not be able to paint themselves at all, for example the brush-head-goomba I mentioned above), but also their fellow enemies, giving them buffs while also undoing any paint-based debuffs you'd applied.
As for the reward you'd receive for completing fights... Well, you'd get Star Points (or some art-themed equivalent). When you gained a level (by getting 100, of course), you could power up your HP, increase the amount of one color of paint that you can hold (or maybe increase all three at once, though with a lesser increase if this is the case), or increase the maximum number of "Item" cards you could hold. The idea here is to make players choose between Mario being able to take more hits, being able to have more special cards, or being able to us more paint effects, on each level up. And of course, you wouldn't be able to make the same choice twice in a row, like in Paper Mario 64 and TTYD.

And just to indulge my fantasy of parters returning, let's say that some of the item cards you could collect would create paint versions of Mario's PM64 and TTYD partners, as well as Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, to perform various actions that they'd do. For example, you could have whatever enemy-scan thing is in this game (which would hopefully be a card you don't lose on use) would paint up Goombario or Goombella or Tippi (which one you get is random, and doesn't actually change anything, it's just a visual) to tell you about the enemy you're scanning, while a paint Peach would confer various benefits onto Mario, and paint Bow or Vivian (maybe random-selected, maybe separate cards with the same effect) could hide Mario, shielding him from all attacks and effects for one turn. These cards would probably be rarer than others, or really expensive if found in shops, but quite powerful. Additionally, painting these cards wouldn't power them up at all; instead, you'd have to spend a certain amount of paint (and possibly also certain colors; for example, a Luigi card would require blue and yellow (because green), while a Vivian would require red and blue (because purple)). The idea here is to balance the power of these cards by making them require the use of paint that you maybe would prefer using on something else. The Goombario/Goombella/Tippi card I mentioned above would be the exception; you wouldn't be able to paint it at all, since it's just an enemy-scan.
And of course, the fan from the reveal trailer would be in this subset of cards.

Oh, and since we're painting everything, I'd like to see a 4-squid Inkling team as a summonable thing from one of the item cards I just made up in the last paragraph.
Or maybe have an Inkling in the Hero Suit as a hidden extra boss.
Or at least have a Splatoon thing cameo somewhere. It'd just make sense, since both games rely quite a lot on painting (well, Splatoon's inking, but it's close enough).
Just a thought. Sorry about the length.

Last edited:

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
What, so I'm not allowed to think it's getting a little over-the-top?
I never said you couldn't. What I said was to not be surprised about it, and then I went on to explain why it's a typical reaction.
At this point, even I think it's getting a little out of hand. In total, we've got around 1-2 minutes of chopped up gameplay, with just subtle hints as to what the game itself will be like. Like I said earlier, I have faith in Nintendo to make a good game, but I'm going to be cautious regardless.

In regards to what determines it'll be a good game... give it a decent plot, original and memorable characters, and make the battles worth it. I don't see this happening though, considering 2 of those 3 things were shot down by Miyamoto...

"Iwata: Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?
Tanabe: Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.
"

"Tanabe: At first, we were making a lot of individual allies as in a regular RPG, but when we decided to focus on stickers, in order to make a clear change with previous games in the series, it was like we started all over again by throwing out the system—including those characters—that we had made up to that point.
Iwata: You purposefully threw out the basic RPG structure.
Tanabe: Yes. We decided to make it so that players would face stronger opponents by throwing out the whole concept of experience points and levels in favor of gradually gathering stronger stickers.
"
(Ripped directly from Iwata Asks: Paper Mario: Sticker Star)

So, this is why Sticker Star and Color Splash turned from "RPG" to "Action-Adventure."
I highly recommend anyone check out that Iwata Asks if you want to know why Sticker Star came out the way it did. It's got loads of information.

"Igata: In the end, while we made various designs, we showed the original design to Miyamoto-san, and he was happy, like, 'Why don't you make it even more disgusting?'"

kappa

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Yeah, I doubt they'll top TTYD, unless the details left out of that Nintendo Direct reveal (and I'm betting there's a bunch of stuff they couldn't fit in there) are crazy awesome.
Which I doubt.

And y'know, I've been thinking about how the whole painting-cards thing might work...
Maybe the cards work more like the command blocks from the Mario & Luigi games. You know (or maybe you don't, I dunno), where you select a block (or card, in this case) from a menu of a bunch of cards (or maybe hands, with an Attack hand containing the usual Jump/Hammer commands as cards as well as various other, maybe-one-time-use cards, while an Item hand would have all the items you've collected as cards, maybe a Run Away card...), then select a paint to apply to the card...
Or just play the card without painting it. It'd be used as a "standard" option, not having the advantages of a painted command, but also not using up any paint. Painting a card would, of course, use up your precious paint resources, but would grant additional effects to the card, creating a system where you need to decide whether that extra benefit now is worth using, since you may require a paint effect later before you've had a chance to get more paint (and of course there would be ways to replenish your paint outside of battle, though I wouldn't make them infinite, and ways to do so in battle, which would be rare or expensive consumable items; maybe it'd slooooooowly regen on its own too, so you wouldn't be absolutely screwed if you ran out at a bad time). While the different paint colors would have different effects, what exactly those effects would be would probably depend on which color was used an which card it was used on. For example, the Jump card could have just the normal jumps-on-the-enemy-twice that is standard for Mario RPGs, while painting Jump red could add more damage, while blue could allow Mario to jump on enemies he normally couldn't (like spiky enemies, or flaming ones), and yellow would allow Mario to jump on all enemies in a row (action command here would just make the jumps deal more damage, rather than allowing you to jump to the next enemy). How much paint was spent painting the card could affect the buff given by painting; for example, with the Jump card, spending a little yellow paint would make Mario jump once on each enemy, but using more yellow would make Mario jump on each enemy multiple times (more yellow spent adds more hits to each enemy). Additionally, you could combine paint colors to get multiple sets of properties at once, albeit at a reduced amount (to justify this in-game: since you're mixing the paints, it dilutes the benefits each color provides, or something); so sticking with the Jump card example, using some red and yellow paint would make Mario jump on each enemy, but with slightly increased damage.
Using this system, the Paint Hammer could also be rather interesting, I think. You could still paint the Hammer card (and a non-painted Hammer would just perform the Paper-Mario-standard pull-back-and-swing hammer attack), but painting wouldn't bestow new properties onto the attack. Instead, the Paint Hammer would be used to paint enemies, which could be the equivalent of inflicting status effects. Red paint could increase the damage enemies take from Mario's attacks, blue paint could remove enemy defenses (such as dulling spikes or putting out fires so that Mario can jump on the enemies), and yellow paint could make enemies deal less damage with their attacks. Using more paint would increase the duration of these effects, but additionally, if enough paint is used on the Hammer card for a single action (cumulative, so each color used contributes toward the threshold), the hammer will create a Color Splash, a paintsplosion that damages applies the status effects to all grounded enemies (and if you use a lot of paint, you could hit airborne foes with the Color Splash as well, though the amount of paint used would make it impractical).
Items would also be paintable, of course, and painting different items could have a variety of different effects, depending on the item used.
The run-away card I mentioned up in the first paragraph would not be paintable. You'd just play it and exit the fight, sans whatever penalty you lose for fleeing.
And Mario could spend a turn to paint himself, as well. Doing this would confer buffs onto him for as long as the paint remained, these buffs being roughly the opposite of the Paint Hammer debuffs for red and yellow, while blue could maybe give Mario more actions per turn. Paint would come closer to coming off of Mario for each action he takes. This is done primarily to balance blue paint (could become kinda broken otherwise, I fear).
Of course, cerain enemies would be able to take advantage of this as well (I'm picturing something like the Spiky Goomba from TTYD, but with a brush-hat instead of a spike-hat). These enemies would be able to paint not only themselves (some might not be able to paint themselves at all, for example the brush-head-goomba I mentioned above), but also their fellow enemies, giving them buffs while also undoing any paint-based debuffs you'd applied.
As for the reward you'd receive for completing fights... Well, you'd get Star Points (or some art-themed equivalent). When you gained a level (by getting 100, of course), you could power up your HP, or increase the amount of one color of paint that you can hold. The idea here is to make players choose between Mario being able to take more hits, or being able to us more paint effects, on each level up. And of course, you wouldn't be able to make the same choice twice in a row, like in Paper Mario 64 and TTYD.

And just to indulge my fantasy of parters returning, let's say that some of the item cards you could collect would create paint versions of Mario's PM64 and TTYD partners, as well as Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, to perform various actions that they'd do. For example, you could have whatever enemy-scan thing is in this game (which would hopefully be a card you don't lose on use) would paint up Goombario or Goombella or Tippi (which one you get is random, and doesn't actually change anything, it's just a visual) to tell you about the enemy you're scanning, while a paint Peach would confer various benefits onto Mario, and paint Bow or Vivian (maybe random-selected, maybe separate cards with the same effect) could hide Mario, shielding him from all attacks and effects for one turn. These cards would probably be rarer than others, or really expensive if found in shops, but quite powerful. Additionally, painting these cards wouldn't power them up at all; instead, you'd have to spend a certain amount of paint (and possibly also certain colors; for example, a Luigi card would require blue and yellow (because green), while a Vivian would require red and blue (because purple)). The idea here is to balance the power of these cards by making them require the use of paint that you maybe would prefer using on something else. The Goombario/Goombella/Tippi card I mentioned above would be the exception; you wouldn't be able to paint it at all, since it's just an enemy-scan.
And of course, the fan from the reveal trailer would be in this subset of cards.

Oh, and since we're painting everything, I'd like to see a 4-squid Inkling team as a summonable thing from one of the item cards I just made up in the last paragraph.
Or maybe have an Inkling in the Hero Suit as a hidden extra boss.
Or at least have a Splatoon thing cameo somewhere. It'd just make sense, since both games rely quite a lot on painting (well, Splatoon's inking, but it's close enough).
Just a thought. Sorry about the length.
I hope that's the case, but in the trailer he collects a few cards, unless maybe cards are just really rare and the all unlock a separate ability...

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I hope that's the case, but in the trailer he collects a few cards, unless maybe cards are just really rare and the all unlock a separate ability...
Well, the original title for that spoiler was "In Which Kirbys Sets Himself Up For Disappointment," and I did write it at 1-2 AM while fueled primarily by wishful thinking, so I'm pretty sure that's not how it's actually going to go. Also I added a thing to the spoilered longpost, since you gave me a thought that seemed like a good thing to add there.

Also, Mario only picked up one card in the trailer that I saw, and it looked like a special kind of jump thing, so maybe it's just a special jump card, to use once and then lose, and separate from a main Jump attack that you can't run out of. They don't need to be rare then, just separate from the non-perishable attacks.

...I hope we're right on this one...Last thing I want to see return is the "ability" to become defenseless because you ran out of your collectible attacks mid-battle...

Last edited:

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I'm watching GameXplains video right now and he said that the battles could be sort of like a trading card game like pokémon, yu-gi-oh, or Magic. That would actually be sort of cool. Also, he pointed out that in addition to using up a card, the paint meter drains a little for an attack. The battle system is atleast way better than Sticker Star right now. Since there isn't experience in it, maybe you get a card for defeating enemies? If the cards were better than the cards you just picked up off the floor, and you don't permanently use up cards, the game could actually make it rewarding to fight enemies like that.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'm watching GameXplains video right now and he said that the battles could be sort of like a trading card game like pokémon, yu-gi-oh, or Magic. That would actually be sort of cool. Also, he pointed out that in addition to using up a card, the paint meter drains a little for an attack. The battle system is atleast way better than Sticker Star right now. Since there isn't experience in it, maybe you get a card for defeating enemies? If the cards were better than the cards you just picked up off the floor, and you don't permanently use up cards, the game could actually make it rewarding to fight enemies like that.
Well, if you don't permanently use all cards (some things, like Mushrooms, should still be permanently used up once you use them, at least in my opinion), or require paint to perform any actions (so, have weaker, non-paint-fueled attacks, so you aren't defenseless when you run out of paint), then yah, we're already above Sticker Star.

And yeah, defeating enemies to receive stronger cards than you would find without fighting, even if the cards you receive in this fashion are all consumable (again, assuming permanent basic attack options that cannot be used up are a thing), could be an acceptable substitute for experience points, if they balanced it well (ie. Actually make the cards you get be worth using).

Although I need to ask, how do you know there's no experience any more? I didn't see a confirmation that Color Splash would be foregoing experience points anywhere, and the trailer I saw in the direct didn't seem to say anything one way or the other.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
Well I gotta say, I like what I've seen so far from Paper Mario: Color Splash. The mechanic looks like it's directly borrowed from de Blob, one could even call it a rip-off. But that mechanic was great, in a pre-Splatoon era, this was really the most fun you could have with spreading ink around in a videogame.

Oh come on, they barely announced it and y'all are acting like it's the end of the ****in' world.

Not that I have any interest in this myself, but it just seems a little over-the-top at this point.
Agreed, I also feel like its becoming a habit in online communities/discussions to go crazy about a few snippets of information. I'm already annoyed that so many people believe some unfounded NX rumours, we don't need even more hysteria regarding the games.

After all, this means they can look at the stuff Sticker Star did poorly (for example, the as-far-as-I-know-Sisyphean battle system) and improve upon them (using that example, actually reward the player for beating enemies). After all, they have the benefit of hindsight (and knowledge of Sticker Star's missteps), so perhaps they'll produce a better game on the second shot.Exactly!
And besides, it's a less-than-two-minute reveal, which probably isn't telling us some important details that maybe would make us warm up to it a bit more. Let's not brace for disappointment until we have more information.
Exactly!

Yeah but wouldn't it still be good to widen the appeal of Paper Mario (preferably without it losing its core identity)?

In regards to what determines it'll be a good game... give it a decent plot, original and memorable characters, and make the battles worth it. I don't see this happening though, considering 2 of those 3 things were shot down by Miyamoto...
"Iwata: Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?
Tanabe: Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.
"
]
Well, Miyamoto did the same with Mario Galaxy 2. He didn't like that the team put so much story into MG1 so he was more strict for MG2. And I was one of the people who liked the story of MG1...
BTW I read that in an Iwata Asks interview. :)

"Iwata: You purposefully threw out the basic RPG structure.
Tanabe: Yes. We decided to make it so that players would face stronger opponents by throwing out the whole concept of experience points and levels in favor of gradually gathering stronger stickers.
"
So, this is why Sticker Star and Color Splash turned from "RPG" to "Action-Adventure.
I'm not even sure that's the case. Sure, the game won't show you your XP in plain text anymore, but isn't gradually gathering stronger stickers the exact same thing as gradually gathering XP to raise your level, just disguised as stickers (to make it easier to grasp for a broader audience?

I'm watching GameXplains video right now and he said that the battles could be sort of like a trading card game like pokémon, yu-gi-oh, or Magic.
Personally, I don't like those trading card games, but a lot of people are playing Heartstone (including one of my friends), so this could appeal to a lot of new people.

True there's Super Paper Mario on Wii, everyone got their own opinions about the game. For me? I like it as a adventure 2D platformer, but not as a true Paper Mario game, it's kinda like it's own thing, there are some parts I don't like or I just question some parts about it.
I actually loved the perspective/dimension-shifting mechanic in that game, it was ingenious if you ask me. :) But the way it was executed seemed kinda raw, I'd like them to do a polished sequel someday.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Personally, I don't like those trading card games, but a lot of people are playing Heartstone (including one of my friends), so this could appeal to a lot of new people..
I don't play Hearthstone, but I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh a lot with my cousin

GameXplain showed a clip where after the card was used, it was drained of color, didn't actually disappear (kind of like discarding in card games) so cards will probably all be unable to be depleted, but better ones will almost surely cost more paint

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I don't play Hearthstone, but I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh a lot with my cousin

GameXplain showed a clip where after the card was used, it was drained of color, didn't actually disappear (kind of like discarding in card games) so cards will probably all be unable to be depleted, but better ones will almost surely cost more paint
I just found the video I think you're referring to, and if GameXplain's even mostly right, I'm going to enjoy Color Splash. GameXplain's breakdown makes it look far better than the Nintendo Direct did. The card-game theme for combat, with cards returning to your hand/deck upon use, paint being regained by beating enemies and possibly other ways (definitely other ways, if they learned from running-out-of-Stickers-Star), the world looks nice (giving me not-quite-Woolly-World feelings,and that's a good sign, even if I'm not quite getting the permanent warm and fuzzy feeling I get from Yoshi's Woolly World), the painting stuff actually looks like a decent idea now that someone explained it. The lack of experience points is a questionable choice, but maybe Nintendo can make it work. I want to play this a lot now, far more than I did before.

Oh s*** someone help me, my cautious optimism is turning into hype

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom