If you thought savescumming was bad enough ...

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The thing that annoys me most about this, assuming it goes on for a while, is that it'll make the pure gear I've lucked into much less impressive. LET ME BE FANCY DAMMIT

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Despite how much I would love to have perfect gear, I'd rather get them on my own without the help of savescumming. Yes, it saves time if you do it that way, but I wouldn't feel the same sort of achievement for it. As a few days ago, with one snail, I managed to get a perfect triple run speed. Which felt amazing. Probably wouldn't have felt as good if I scummed for it. I do know the rage of spyke and his crappy rolling system and all. I wouldn't have much of a problem if we could use money as well as snails but ya know.

As long as it sticks to just using it for slots, then I don't care too much about it. Because people can still be outplayed despite the gear, but ya know. Taking it further than that, I dunno about that.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Can anyone give me a rundown of what happened to Mario Kart Wii? I've seen it mentioned often in this recent discussion (here and other forums) like a dried stain, but haven't the foggiest what happened.

I still don't understand this obsession with perfect gears. I enjoy this element of randomness and experimentation.
Yeah, I took it as a hint the developers wanted to encourage experimentation with our gear and abilities, not perfectionism.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
Just remember, Splatoon's a big money maker for Nintendo and they won't let this slide, especially if it escalates. Use at your own risk.
I don't really think Nintendo can know about it without someone filming themselves doing it. It's gotten through hacking, but it's going to act exactly the same as any gear someone bought slots on or rerolled, so you can't really tell. EDIT: Woah I took way long typing this and everything was already said, sorry!

Personally, I think it's unfair to use this to unlock more slots on gear. Unlocking and filling slots is something that's done with a controlled amount of p, and the result is the same for everyone. (even if the abilities unlocked are different) But I still think there's no harm in using it as a 'controlled reroll', rolling the right abilities is about chance, not skill.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
TL;DR? I'm the one who posted the video and there really isn't a cause for concern. It probably won't become widespread. :)

Oh my. I'm actually a little surprised the video is actually getting shared around. In retrospect, I probably should have included a warning in the beginning. The video seems to be causing a little panic and worry but there really is no need for it. Originally, I uploaded that video for Facebook. I'm in a few Splatoon groups on there and in one group, people didn't believe me when I talked about the hacking. So I decided to upload the videos just so people could see that yes, it is a possibly.

That being said... I don't think it will become widespread. There's panic of it becoming widespread like in Mario Kart and I just don't think that's a real possibility.

The difference here is that Splatoon means something to Nintendo. Splatoon has a serious growing competitive scene that Nintendo has shown they care about. Of course, Splatoon is also a cash cow for Nintendo. Splatoon makes them a lot of money through game and merchandise sales. We're the most passionate community of players they've seen in years. They're not going to sit back idly and watch hackers destroy the online play portion of this game also known as the reason Splatoon is popular. In the past, Nintendo has banned known hackers. Some bans have been lifted but others have stayed permanent. When it was more underground, Nintendo didn't take it lightly. They didn't appreciate it nor find it to be a joke. I highly doubt Nintendo is going to appreciate people hacking now - especially when the majority don't actually know what they're doing.

Rudy's hacks are not common nor easy to do. Or I'm assuming they aren't.

My friends are hackers. They've been hacking the games for months. I've seen all of the possible hacks in private battles because of them but I have never seen Rudy's hack before. It really surprised me. If my friends haven't done it, I'm assuming that Rudy's hack can't be easy to do and won't become commonplace. He is the first one I've seen using that. Asking around... He appears to be the only one doing it. The weapon mods like the Luna Blaster are more of a worry - but they're obvious hacks that will easily get someone banned. You'd have to be completely stupid to think you'll get away with something so painfully obvious.

If you encounter a hacker, simply report them to Nintendo and let Nintendo handle it. I've reported both Rudy and the Luna Blaster. Both of their profiles have already been taken down by admins. I'm assuming for the hacking claims to be looked into before an actual ban on the NNID is given. Nintendo will ban hackers. It could be temporary, permanent, or a full console ban. As more people get banned for hacking, it will stop being funny and cute to fools who want to fool around with the exploit. And if not.... Well they'll just lose Splatoon and it will be their own fault. People getting banned will send a strong message about the hacking.

The only hack I can see becoming widespread is the gear hack. And it really is fairly harmless.

It's cheap and people who use it deserve no respect but still harmless nonetheless. It is still a hack though. If you see someone bragging about it online and know their NNID, feel free to report them and Nintendo will deal with it. Screencap the message for good measure if you want to. A hack is a hack and Nintendo has already shown they don't appreciate it at all when it comes to Splatoon.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
But... we can?
By that I meant choose whether you want to use your snails or money. Not, if you have snails, be forced to use all of them, then you can use your money. Should've specified, my bad.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
By that I meant choose whether you want to use your snails or money. Not, if you have snails, be forced to use all of them, then you can use your money. Should've specified, my bad.
Oh, fair enough... but I don't understand why that could be necessary. There's nothing else for which Snails can be used, so there's absolutely no benefit from spending money instead.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Oh, fair enough... but I don't understand why that could be necessary. There's nothing else for which Snails can be used, so there's absolutely no benefit from spending money instead.
It's more of a personal preference. I know it won't be happening, but it's a nice thought. When you've bought all clothing, weapons, etc, your cash just builds up. I could just use all of my snails to get to my money, but I'd find it a waste as I know there's a low chance to get what I want and it'd feel like a waste to me (which I understand RNG is basically that if you don't get what you want).

I guess it can easily be summed up with money can easily be earned back after spending it, but snails you have to wait about a month or a little less/more to be able to get again.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Can this hack even alter weapon stats, let alone let you kill players behind spawn, otherwise the hacks in that video are unrelated.

what problems are you having with it?
PC wont connect to Wii U for some reason.

ann_squid

Inkling
Can anyone give me a rundown of what happened to Mario Kart Wii? I've seen it mentioned often in this recent discussion (here and other forums) like a dried stain, but haven't the foggiest what happened.

Yeah, I took it as a hint the developers wanted to encourage experimentation with our gear and abilities, not perfectionism.
Hi, I'm new here and IDK if I'm doing replies right!

Anyway, I used to play Mario Kart wii competitively when I was about 11-13. Hackers were EVERYWHERE. Half of the time, you would encounter 20-30 blueshells in one match and lightning bolts everywhere. Don't forget those 1-2 people who would be in starman form for the majority of the time. Playing Mario Kart wii was unbearable once you encountered Hackers. I really hope Splatoon doesn't become like that, although it's not likely, but it's still a worry of mine.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ahh... @Airi's video reminds me of the time that I fought a Giga Bowser in Brawl's online back in the day. Fun times.

Anyway... I guess given the simplicity of this particular "hack", I might just look into it. Only two problems with that, though: A) I doubt I'll have enough time to do this for every single gear I want done with what I already have on my plate, and B) that it doesn't work for everybody means there's a chance I won't be able to anyway. Plus the moral guilt of essentially cheating to get what I want, but in the long run that won't be an issue. XÞ

Now, I can fantasize about muh gear all day, but the REAL question has yet to be answered...

Can it turn me into an Octoling?

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
There are FTW hackers online now using modded weapons and being able to splat people that are inside spawn point. This is MKW all over again.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WIGPPqueR7o
Can this hack even alter weapon stats, let alone let you kill players behind spawn, otherwise the hacks in that video are unrelated.

PC wont connect to Wii U for some reason.
The part where you connect gecko or?

when I first tried it I mistakingly kept opening up the links on my pc instead of going to the browser on the wii U and typing them in. oh and make sure you write down your wii U's ip address. The gecko added a 7 to the end of mine so mine wouldn't connect till I realized this and deleted the 7.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Can it turn me into an Octoling?
Yes~ :) It's very possible to hack Octolings into the game. However, it's very important to note that it is much more difficult than hacking the gear is. If you attempt to hack an Octoling and you do it incorrectly, you could risk damaging your save file and/or your game. It comes with a big risk if you're not experienced with hacking so I wouldn't recommend anyone try it if they aren't experienced with it. ^.^"

MasterYoshidino

Inkster Jr.
NNID
masteryoshidino
Switch Friend Code
SW-4197-0965-9397
To splat two squids with one bomb I will address what someone above questioned about Mario Kart Wii hacking and how it happened. At first only a tiny circle [lead by MrBean35000vr] knew of how to hack MKW with stuff like "perfect freeze time" to freeze the timer, lagging the room, ghosting players, and eventually another hacker group decided to leak a LOAD of gecko codes [cheat codes used to do these cheats] and the online community BLEW UP with TONS of hackers all of a sudden appearing. Then you had the FTL hackers trying to bully the hackers that were FTW hackers. Then the ones that bullied FTL hackers came out. Then the ban waves happened. Then the hacks to evade said ban waves happened. MKW never got better because said hardware ID and MAC address spoof hacks couldn't be defeated. It's was a huge circle jerk. Here is an example of it.
NewHope was one of the people that popularized this. There are other vids if you search for FTW or 4TW pwning MKW etc.

This pertains to Splatoon because until Nintendo figures out how to patch it out it will be only a matter of time where someone else outside the circle is going to spite the hacking community and leak a bunch of codes and history will repeat itself. Another user [this time a JP user] posted some video hacks evidence which was in 1st person.

Last edited:

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Hacking to get perfect gear? That's fine I suppose as you just get your gear faster via savescumming or setting them to what you want.
Hacking to be an Octoling? Fine I guess as long as you don't corrupt other's saves (not sure if there was a way around that yet or not)
Hacking via private battles to have fun with friends? It's among friends so it doesn't really matter.

Hacking via online with randoms with weapon hacks and such? Not okay. Can someone explain to me how you can enjoy hacking and ruining the gaming experience for others online? I...really seem to miss the point.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Hacking to be an Octoling? Fine I guess as long as you don't corrupt other's saves (not sure if there was a way around that yet or not)
Mhm. Nintendo was able to fix that portion of the hack. After the update, Octolings are now automatically converted into female Inklings if they wind up in someone's plaza. This way, the game doesn't actually have to attempt to recognize the Octoling data so it won't freeze up the games anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom