If you thought savescumming was bad enough ...

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I'm fairly certain changes like that are noticed and cause banning, I remember seeing a video in which someone edited a roller to be insanely strong and did a private battle with it, and I heard they got banned after that even though it wasn't brought to online matches.

Any amount of abilities on gear is possible, anyways, so it's not like hacking is giving you a hugely unfair advantage, it just gets you to a point faster. Rolling for abilities just seems too unfair, someone could happen to get perfect triples with even needing to reroll (I recently had a shirt with this), but someone else could earn a ton of snails and gold and still not get the set they want. Searching for a way around this is bound to happen.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
someone could happen to get perfect triples with even needing to reroll (I recently had a shirt with this), but someone else could earn a ton of snails and gold and still not get the set they want
I think the whole point of abilities is that it's random. Of course someone is bound to get perfect triples without even trying.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
That's exactly the problem with it. When tons of effort can still be fruitless and other people can get things just right easily, that's not a fair system.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
That's exactly the problem with it. When tons of effort can still be fruitless and other people can get things just right easily, that's not a fair system.
When tons of effort can still be fruitless and other people can hack things just right easily, that's not a fair system. Or that's how it could be argued, at least.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I completely agree, whether it's by hacking, savescumming, or just sheer luck, there's ways for people to get the abilities they want that's unfair for people without those resources. But the problem isn't that people can get those abilities, it's that it's so hard for some people to get them, because they have to rely on chance. (And it isn't like getting triples guarantees great matches, people still have to plan out what abilities to run with weapons. Why not give them more of a chance to do so?)

A better system would be to allow players to buy new abilities, because it would make it much more based on wins rather than chance. To keep the price the same, each slot changed could cost 10000 gold, and to keep the brand mechanic in, abilities that are usually more likely could cost less, and less likely abilities cost more. It would still retain most of the challenges of putting together good gear without taking it out of the player's hands.

pikmini

Inkling
NNID
secret
Can't someone just ask @NWPlayer123 about this? I feel like she'd know a lot more about this than any of us would.
What is there to ask? The Wii U has been hacked, and the latest exploit was leaked. I have tested this myself and can do various things such as changing the ink color and editing the number of Sea Snails / Money.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
A better system would be to allow players to buy new abilities, because it would make it much more based on wins rather than chance. To keep the price the same, each slot changed could cost 10000 gold, and to keep the brand mechanic in, abilities that are usually more likely could cost less, and less likely abilities cost more. It would still retain most of the challenges of putting together good gear without taking it out of the player's hands.
I have a better idea, get rid of abilities entirely. Makes weapons more balanced so they don't have to rely on abilities to negate the negatives and people will actually focus on playing matches instead of wasting time scumming/cheating for perfect gear.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wait, this is only just now a thing? Color me surprised, I this was already rampant, considering how many people here are convinced that there be cheaters afoot.

...well, darn. On the one hand, I know I'd probably end up bricking my poor Wii U if I tried this, even if I did it correctly. On the other hand, while I can accept the current method for rolling for brand-favored abilities, I don't have the patience to roll for triples on any gear. And yet, I get the feeling that, if I did have this power, I'd just add the third like sub to the almost-perfect gear I have, or at most get three of a kind on Cuttlegear-brand items.

Wait, who am I kidding? I'm never gonna get this, I wouldn't let myself. Moral superiority & whatnot, no matter how much it comes back to haunt me.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I had actually come across a player who used this hack today - or I'm assuming since he used other hacks too. We were playing a match on Arowana Mall. He never left our spawn area and kept spamming 'C.mon'. We were being camped and the entire map was almost entirely blue until the last few seconds where everything turned orange. And the player ended up with over 3,000 points with a Splattershot Jr. There's no possible way it was simple lag when he never even left the beginning area. o.O

I checked his player afterwards and he had entirely pure gear... I have trouble believing that was actually rerolled given the above.

The gear is harmless in all honesty. We will never know if someone hacked the gear, savescummed, or got it honestly. It doesn't really hurt anyone too... But it does open the door to what I saw today. I would never have known is gear was hacked had he not, you know, shown an obvious display of hacking during the match. When people learn how to change their gear, they will also learn these sorts of things. And playing around with the hacks could create harm for other players save files. Hacking is fun and games when it private. My friends and I have done it before and it's honestly hilarious. The exploit being released though has put these hacks into the hands of someone like this - an irresponsible player who took them into randoms online.

It's a shame and I hope that anyone who decides to learn this exploit will be responsible about it and keep it to private battles with consenting friends.

MasterYoshidino

Inkster Jr.
NNID
masteryoshidino
Switch Friend Code
SW-4197-0965-9397
It's a browser exploit like the 3DS has. Although I will not care if people edit gear rolls I am afraid like another poster said people start doing what another famous hacker did with the Splattershot Jr. modded weapon and it becomes Mario Kart Wii levels of hacking. That stuff is annoying as it becomes dumb from hackers going against anti-hackers i.e. FTW hackers against FTL hackers and that turned ugly and pointless. I don't want to be facing an infinite killer wail spammer or worse yet two hackers with infinite Kraken trying to splat each other fruitlessly.

Edit: I hope Nintendo maybe learns from this and changes the way Spyke works. [fat chance I know]

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I had actually come across a player who used this hack today - or I'm assuming since he used other hacks too. We were playing a match on Arowana Mall. He never left our spawn area and kept spamming 'C.mon'. We were being camped and the entire map was almost entirely blue until the last few seconds where everything turned orange. And the player ended up with over 3,000 points with a Splattershot Jr. There's no possible way it was simple lag when he never even left the beginning area. o_O

I checked his player afterwards and he had entirely pure gear... I have trouble believing that was actually rerolled given the above.

The gear is harmless in all honesty. We will never know if someone hacked the gear, savescummed, or got it honestly. It doesn't really hurt anyone too... But it does open the door to what I saw today. I would never have known is gear was hacked had he not, you know, shown an obvious display of hacking during the match. When people learn how to change their gear, they will also learn these sorts of things. And playing around with the hacks could create harm for other players save files. Hacking is fun and games when it private. My friends and I have done it before and it's honestly hilarious. The exploit being released though has put these hacks into the hands of someone like this - an irresponsible player who took them into randoms online.

It's a shame and I hope that anyone who decides to learn this exploit will be responsible about it and keep it to private battles with consenting friends.
It's a browser exploit like the 3DS has. Although I will not care if people edit gear rolls I am afraid like another poster said people start doing what another famous hacker did with the Splattershot Jr. modded weapon and it becomes Mario Kart Wii levels of hacking. That stuff is annoying as it becomes dumb from hackers going against anti-hackers i.e. FTW hackers against FTL hackers and that turned ugly and pointless. I don't want to be facing an infinite killer wail spammer or worse yet two hackers with infinite Kraken trying to splat each other fruitlessly.

Edit: I hope Nintendo maybe learns from this and changes the way Spyke works. [fat chance I know]
I don't think we'll have to worry about this ending up like MKWii in this day and age. We can easily access a hacker's NNID, most everyone can whip out their fancy smartphones for proof if they're not recording for twitch/youtube, and Nintendo can ban players now.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
I had actually come across a player who used this hack today - or I'm assuming since he used other hacks too. We were playing a match on Arowana Mall. He never left our spawn area and kept spamming 'C.mon'. We were being camped and the entire map was almost entirely blue until the last few seconds where everything turned orange. And the player ended up with over 3,000 points with a Splattershot Jr. There's no possible way it was simple lag when he never even left the beginning area. o_O

At least, unlike MKWii, this crap can be fixed by Ninty; and in the meantime, we can block offenders.

Dolphin'd

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
I don't think we'll have to worry about this ending up like MKWii in this day and age. We can easily access a hacker's NNID, most everyone can whip out their fancy smartphones for proof if they're not recording for twitch/youtube, and Nintendo can ban players now.
Okay, but what about subtle hacks like aim-botting/trigger-botting at a certain distance as sniper? People in higher ranks will just pass it off as the hacker being good if they use this technique. We can only do so much as a community to call out hackers, but even then we can only call out those who blatantly cheat. Nintendo must implement something to catch these script-kiddies, like VAC.

I know I always use Valve as an example on these forums, but that's where my multiplayer shooter experience comes from, Valve games. That and they're trying to get a monopoly on the e-sports scene so they're always trying to clean up their games.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Okay, but what about subtle hacks like aim-botting/trigger-botting at a certain distance as sniper? People in higher ranks will just pass it off as the hacker being good if they use this technique. We can only do so much as a community to call out hackers, but even then we can only call out those who blatantly cheat. Nintendo must implement something to catch these script-kiddies, like VAC.

I know I always use Valve as an example on these forums, but that's where my multiplayer shooter experience comes from, Valve games. That and they're trying to get a monopoly on the e-sports scene so they're always trying to clean up their games.
Well that would be bad, but I'd think hacks like those are much more complicated so only usable by actual hackers with the know how, so since aimbots are not already a problem perhaps they never will be.

This is the video of it I've come across.
Damn that really is simple, and all the more tempting! Why wait weeks to months for Spyke when I can take 15 minutes doing this.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Just remember, Splatoon's a big money maker for Nintendo and they won't let this slide, especially if it escalates. Use at your own risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom