If you thought savescumming was bad enough ...

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Various hacks have been going on for some time so it hardly seems new, but dang, just when I was starting to get really sick and tired of stacked abilities and wished Nintendo addressed that in 2.7 as the fix for eliters instead of the range nerf (since it affects things other than dmg stacked eliters like run stacked splooshes, and swim stacked rollers and makes them far more annoying than they should be) now we're going to see even MORE stacking.

There's the add on effect that then people will order all this hacked gear from spike, but, to date I've NEVER seen a single piece of gear from spike with all 3 slots, so it probably won't extend too far.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
Just remember, Splatoon's a big money maker for Nintendo and they won't let this slide, especially if it escalates. Use at your own risk.
All of this data is client side, so as long as you don't go online with the kernal exploit in your RAM, so just reset before going online, there is no way for Nintendo to even know that you have done anything. Based upon the information Nintendo shows on the Splatoon website, they might not even know what your money/snails count is, only your rank, equipped gear, and weapon ink total is detailed.

I can see how some would be upset with this, but the fact that rolling is so expensive, and completely random makes competitive Splatoon so much harder, and this fixes these issues. I still believe that skill and teamwork is 95%+ of success in Splatoon, and gear is the remaining small part of success, so even people with perfect gear only have a small advantage over people of the same skill.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
There's the add on effect that then people will order all this hacked gear from spike, but, to date I've NEVER seen a single piece of gear from spike with all 3 slots, so it probably won't extend too far.
People actually do time zone scumming to get all 3 slots from ordered gear, so it will have a positive effect on the overall perfect gear, since time zone scumming will have more options, and is already cheaper than save scumming anyway, just takes as much, if not more, tedious time to do.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
All of this data is client side, so as long as you don't go online with the kernal exploit in your RAM, so just reset before going online, there is no way for Nintendo to even know that you have done anything. Based upon the information Nintendo shows on the Splatoon website, they might not even know what your money/snails count is, only your rank, equipped gear, and weapon ink total is detailed.

I can see how some would be upset with this, but the fact that rolling is so expensive, and completely random makes competitive Splatoon so much harder, and this fixes these issues. I still believe that skill and teamwork is 95%+ of success in Splatoon, and gear is the remaining small part of success, so even people with perfect gear only have a small advantage over people of the same skill.
That could well change. It's not outside the realm of reality for authentication to be cooked up on their end. Also, considering this uses the internet browser... I'm just saying Nintendo does have the ability to put the kibosh on this if they really want to.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
That could well change. It's not outside the realm of reality for authentication to be cooked up on their end. Also, considering this uses the internet browser... I'm just saying Nintendo does have the ability to put the kibosh on this if they really want to.
No doubt, I think within a few weeks the kernal exploit will be removed, and everything else will be at the same time. I just don't think they have a way to see anyone who has hacked thus far, unless they go online with TCP Gecko still in the RAM, which some speculate they can detect right now, but no confirmations that they can even do that.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
No doubt, I think within a few weeks the kernal exploit will be removed, and everything else will be at the same time. I just don't think they have a way to see anyone who has hacked thus far, unless they go online with TCP Gecko still in the RAM, which some speculate they can detect right now, but no confirmations that they can even do that.
That's just it. We don't know. Nintendo's learned a lot since the Mario Kart Wii days. Personally, I'm not risking it.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I'll stick to save scumming, I tried doing this and TCP Gecko wouldn't connect, so I'm taking it as a sign to not bother. It's all very well and good Hitzel saying it's to give those without pure/shiny gear those as well, but there's too many variables around this. One, it's only accessible to those who can get Gecko to connect, so those who can't or don't want to risk it are still without the "good" gear. Two, you need to backup your save, because if you edit and poke the wrong value, your save is going to get corrupted, which would suck if you're Level 50 and S+ and already have a few decent gear loadouts. Three, no-one knows how Nintendo detects the changes to gear, as it can be gifted from Judd/Amiibo, bought from Spyke, rerolled and have slots added. It would be mighty suspicious if you appeared online running a ton of shiny/pure gear you never ordered or levelled up legitimately. Four, as with all hacks, there are the few scumbags who will deliberately use it to get unfair advantages over other players. Picture all Respawn Lunas/Dynamos, all swim for Rainmaker carrying, and combinations that would never be rolled together even with savescumming. Reminder that you can block Wii U updates from Nintendo, so you can hack all the gear you want, remove all exploits, then update to 5.5.2 and play online with the hacked gear.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
One step to edit rank points, money and (hope never happens) weapon stats :o

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
[...] rank points, money [...]
These two couldn't be that bad. The former because if you don't deserve a rank, then if you get it artificially, you aren't gonna be able to play without losing it; the latter because what's money for if not rerolls? That's just inferior to direct gear manipulation.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Any hacking beyond clothes will either A, result in bans and "stability updates", or B, happen when the game is dead/abandoned so it won't matter to most.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well nevermind, doesn't work for me for some unexplainable reason, but I still approve of it's existence as long as it's used legally, and hopefully it'll encourage Nintendo to make Spyke less of an jerkface so we don't have to resort to these roundabout methods!

fuchsia

Full Squid
NNID
fuchsiaplays
i've never hacked my wii u but considering how relentless nintendo is about hacking on the 3ds, i doubt they're going to let this exploit sit for very long. at the very least, they'll patch the exploit and restrict internet access to anyone who hasn't updated to the patched system version. that'll restrict online play, which is what they've done to force many 3ds hackers to update.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Well nevermind, doesn't work for me for some unexplainable reason, but I still approve of it's existence as long as it's used legally, and hopefully it'll encourage Nintendo to make Spyke less of an jerkface so we don't have to resort to these roundabout methods!
what problems are you having with it?

and I approve of it too. Yes the all respawn lunas will now run rampant like never before. But hopefully nintendo sees this, sees just how much we hate spykes system, and will improve it. And it takes the stress of not having good gear away. I'm having tons of fun now that I have finally gotten the gear setup I've wanted for the weapons I enjoy.

and if I get banned so be it.

There are FTW hackers online now using modded weapons and being able to splat people that are inside spawn point. This is MKW all over again.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WIGPPqueR7o
this is what will get you banned no doubt. I don't believe they can tell how you got your gear, but I know that they'll notice differences in weapon stats. The servers probably can tell somewhat now.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I still don't understand this obsession with perfect gears. I enjoy this element of randomness and experimentation.
It provides some benefits in combat, mixing and matching clothes is easier when abilities are all lined up, and it looks nice. Perfectionists are everywhere.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
There are FTW hackers online now using modded weapons and being able to splat people that are inside spawn point. This is MKW all over again.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WIGPPqueR7o
So we got:

Pure gear, instant turf coverage, instant death/one shot kills, infinite range, super speed, and rapid fire. Did I miss anything?

What a sad day for Splatoon. I really dont want it to be like MKW with hackers running rampant everywhere with zero consequences. This sets a bad precedent and I really hope Nintendo does something about this.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
What a sad day for Splatoon. I really dont want it to be like MKW with hackers running rampant everywhere with zero consequences. This sets a bad precedent and I really hope Nintendo does something about this.
They will. Mario Kart Wii couldn't be patched and have the offenders banned. Splatoon's different in that respect, not to mention a big new game Nintendo won't want to be tainted with asshats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom