• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

In your opinion: Map and Mode combos that make you go "Nope."

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I don't like stages that are designed to give the opposing team massive comebacks. Games and maps should be designed to encourage more interaction and team play. Rainmaker + Kelp Dome is the antithesis of that, and the fact that people can literally just travel halfway across the map without the opposing team being able to do anything about it (and then being able to use multiple super weapons to push through the one choke point to the end) is hilariously stupid. It only produces interesting matches in the sense that anyone can win with less relevance to player skill, which is an awful design for any competitive game.
?? Opposing team can easily cut them off. It's a risky maneuver because you have to carry the Rain Maker right by the opponent's goal in order to get it over the ramp. A smart opponent could swipe you and leave your team even worse off than before. So, I don't think it just *gives* the opposing team the comeback without the justified risk. Thasss just meeee

Wiebenjijzeg

Full Squid
NNID
Syrnis
I simply hate the ugly black boxes in Kelp Dome.
The ranked maps should all be reworked in the sense that ugly obstacles better fit in the map's surroundings.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
?? Opposing team can easily cut them off. It's a risky maneuver because you have to carry the Rain Maker right by the opponent's goal in order to get it over the ramp. A smart opponent could swipe you and leave your team even worse off than before. So, I don't think it just *gives* the opposing team the comeback without the justified risk. Thasss just meeee
Games should not be determined by one risk no matter the outcome. Especially since you can't exactly play it safe in choke points in Kelp Dome and you will have to take some risks.

Super special spam makes that choke point between the spawn point and the goal arbitrary anyway.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Turf war: Bluefin, Kelp Dome
Splat Zones: Urchin, Bluefin, Flounder
Tower Control: Bluefin, Flounder, Blackbelly
Rainmaker: Kelp Dome, Bluefin, Hammerhead

I usually really like any other maps though and as you can tell, I despise Bluefin

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Kelp Zones/Port Zones, the golden combo for getting walled in with no easy escape

Rainmaker everything in solo queue, i can imagine it'd work great if you have some form of communication with your team but in solo queue it just doesn't work

Urchin everything, old urchin is way better imo, that stupid bump right before the open area costed me a ton of matches
Flounder everything, just don't like it
Ancho-V everything, too gimmicky
Piranha everything, same problem, two of said modes basically mean only a very small portion of the map really matters
Moray everything, falling squid simulator

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
Growing to hate Museum d'Alfonsino. Well, more so on Tower and RM. TW and SZ are Ok, not the best.
I've never had more of a love hate relationship with anything like I do with Port Mackeral. Love RM and TW, want SZ and TC to die in the eternal flames of he... Never mind. Moray is kind of iffy for me, really depends on your team.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I feel like most of the new stages they added are iffy depending on the mode (save Hammerhead, which is all horrible all the time). The only stage that was added in an update that I consistently enjoy is Camp Triggerfish. Piranha Pit is one of my favorite stages to play RM in, but it's awkward for TC & especially SZ. I totally agree Port Mackerel is only situationally fun. Personally I like TC on that stage, but SZ can be so terrible there...ridiculous amount of huge awkward stage obstacles, covering turf properly is too obnoxious.

I also second the fact that Museum d'Alfonsino seemed okay at first, but I don't always enjoy it anymore. But for me, SZ has been the awkward mode for that stage. In general anything with a big giant obstruction right in the center of the Splat Zone (like in Port Mackerel) makes for really wonky, frustrating matches. I feel like it's sometimes disproportionate in determining who's in (or loses) control. Then again, since the new modes were introduced, I've come to like Splat Zones less and less in general. It's the least fun ranked mode at this point imo. Slower paced, harder to make comebacks. Again, though, it really depends on the stage.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
Moray tower and flounder heights. anything on those two makes me wish there is a map exclude button.

KrisLegendary

Inkling
Moray Towers and Mahi-Mahi Resort in any mode. I might be able to deal with a turf war, but that's it. Both of those maps are frustrating and leave something to be desired.

LazerBeanz

Inkling
NNID
shuya_nananahara
Walleye warehouse. It just seems like to confined and small some how...but that's just my opinion lol

Buffer121

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Buffer121
Splat Zones on Camp Triggerfish.
I hate that map so much!!!! I just rage quit for every time someone throws a bomb and I can't proceed to get to my zone.

Rainmaker with Moray and Flounder Heights I tend to avoid, Moray just way too awkwardly sized for me. I'll flat out avoid those 2 for Rainmaker.

Flounder Heights, Camp Triggerfish and Arowana Mall on Splat Zones isn't too flash either, gets a bit too hectic at times but I'll manage.

Tower Control, not fussed, easy like Sunday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom