• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink or Sink Tournament! v.1.1b Final Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Majority of those chokeholds are worse than Saltspray because 1) you need to enter the enemy spawn area and 2) there's only 1 entrance.

If you try and get to the rainmaker they can kill you and hold you off. If they think they're going to lose it they scoop it up and take off to your pillar as you're all trying to fight into their base.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Imperious 1 3 - 0 C-

Game 1 Saltspray:

Game 2 Walleye:

Game 3 Walleye:

GGs

Bans:
G1: C- banned Blackbelly
im1 banned Walleye, Underpass
C- banned Arowana

G2 & 3: im1 banned Kelp, Blackbelly, Moray

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I'm not really sure it'll be very problematic, but I'll hold out judgement until I see more results and testing

Power

Inkling Commander
Well, from what we have tested...(This has nothing to do with Ink or Sink, but :p...Is there a better place to post this kind of stuff?)

Rainmaker

Walleye Warehouse:
can be pretty game breaking. (At the L shaped area with grates). If you can combo walls and rainmaker shots (or just leave the rainmaker unexploded) + wails then you can hold the area down pretty well at the opponents side. Working on counters for this, may be inkstrikes, wails... (Big Key... RM does not return to mid)

Port Mackerel:
Stalling at the enemy side alley (the one where you can access via the block) is not very ideal or game changing. Enemy spawn is right there, but maybe because we did not spam walls enough is why it did not work so well. Stalling at 1 minute mark at your own alley is easy, as long as your team can hold down with wall spam. (We stalled on the left side, with the block. Stalling on the right side may be safer as there is no block.

Flounder Heights:
The only area that may be abused are the long walls on the left and right side of the map. If you can hang there with the rainmaker, it is easy to build up a defense around that area. Other than that, business as usual it seems.

Saltspray Rig:
Stalling at North is 50-50 at times. A big push by the opponent can be done to take over North (Unless we were doing it wrong, probably...) Also when timer runs out, the RM eturns to mid, which could be a problem. (Interested in hearing others opinions on this)

Arowana Mall:
We could not successfully do the wall glitch consistently to stall at their base...(did not work on it enough also) Stalling at your own base is only worth the one minute mark, which could be achieved with walls. Seems like a plausible way to stall...

Camp Triggerfish...
Stalling at their big wall base may be helpful... but why do that if you can get the knockout. It may work, but we did not play on it as much.

Did Not Test:
Urchin, Bluefin, Moray, Dome, Skatepark (I know... we should have...) and Hammerhead Bridge :)P) But there will be other sessions.
Feel free to contact me if you want in.

Do not take these findings as FACT, they are simply a small sample size and there could be many possibilities to counter certain circumstance. I would love to hear others chime on with their thoughts.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Well, from what we have tested...(This has nothing to do with Ink or Sink, but :p...Is there a better place to post this kind of stuff?)

Rainmaker

Walleye Warehouse:
can be pretty game breaking. (At the L shaped area with grates). If you can combo walls and rainmaker shots (or just leave the rainmaker unexploded) + wails then you can hold the area down pretty well at the opponents side. Working on counters for this, may be inkstrikes, wails... (Big Key... RM does not return to mid)

Port Mackerel:
Stalling at the enemy side alley (the one where you can access via the block) is not very ideal or game changing. Enemy spawn is right there, but maybe because we did not spam walls enough is why it did not work so well. Stalling at 1 minute mark at your own alley is easy, as long as your team can hold down with wall spam. (We stalled on the left side, with the block. Stalling on the right side may be safer as there is no block.

Flounder Heights:
The only area that may be abused are the long walls on the left and right side of the map. If you can hang there with the rainmaker, it is easy to build up a defense around that area. Other than that, business as usual it seems.

Saltspray Rig:
Stalling at North is 50-50 at times. A big push by the opponent can be done to take over North (Unless we were doing it wrong, probably...) Also when timer runs out, the RM eturns to mid, which could be a problem. (Interested in hearing others opinions on this)

Arowana Mall:
We could not successfully do the wall glitch consistently to stall at their base...(did not work on it enough also) Stalling at your own base is only worth the one minute mark, which could be achieved with walls. Seems like a plausible way to stall...

Camp Triggerfish...
Stalling at their big wall base may be helpful... but why do that if you can get the knockout. It may work, but we did not play on it as much.

Did Not Test:
Urchin, Bluefin, Moray, Dome, Skatepark (I know... we should have...) and Hammerhead Bridge :)P) But there will be other sessions.
Feel free to contact me if you want in.

Do not take these findings as FACT, they are simply a small sample size and there could be many possibilities to counter certain circumstance. I would love to hear others chime on with their thoughts.
Very interesting! I wonder how these scenarios will turn out in tournament play and SCL?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
(Big Key... RM does not return to mid
doesn't really help but just to make sure for Walleye should you be able to take back the RM from that spot, you can still SD off the stage to reset it correct? At least there is that but I agree seems like a lot of work. I couldve sworn their was a block to help get up that way for RM but I guess not.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Well that's just silly. If the other team can take it from you you're just giving them a head start!

Note: I've never actually tried this strategy so I don't know how easy it is to keep the other team from taking it

Power

Inkling Commander
You stall in YOUR base. Not theirs.
It seems to have worked when we did it at their base. (at least in Walleye) Stalling at your base can be done in most maps for the last minute. So there is that... Getting killed at your own base and leaving the rainmaker unpopped is the most ideal situation, maybe I am not looking at this from the right perspective.

Just to be clear, doing it at their base in Walleye is the only probable time when you can do it at their base. As the rainmaker can explode and not reset at mid. If you lock it down, (which was pretty easy from our experience) than you can stall the match. Like I said these are not conclusive results. Stalling at your base for the one minute mark is pretty easy on several maps.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
You stall in YOUR base. Not theirs.
did my response make it seem like I meant the other way?
huh.. well i meant what you said but was refering to someone who was trying to get the RM from the enemy who put it in their base. Basically saying if you manage to grab it from the enemy you can SD and reset it to middle. And that if there was a block to help you get up to the enemy's side, that would've helped out the stalling but I guess that block isn't there

Power

Inkling Commander
did my response make it seem like I meant the other way?
huh.. well i meant what you said but was refering to someone who was trying to get the RM from the enemy who put it in their base. Basically saying if you manage to grab it from the enemy you can SD and reset it to middle. And that if there was a block to help you get up to the enemy's side, that would've helped out the stalling but I guess that block isn't there
There is a block that gets you up there though. And yea, a last resort SD could help.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
There is a block that gets you up there though. And yea, a last resort SD could help.
oh...then I guess I should play more to find out why it's game-breaking. Annoying perhaps but with coordination and a good team composition it can't be that bad.

edit: inb4 complete destruction on Walleye

Power

Inkling Commander
oh...then I guess I should play more to find out why it's game-breaking. Annoying perhaps but with coordination and a good team composition it can't be that bad.

edit: inb4 complete destruction on Walleye
Probably will be a counter to it. But from what we have seen (not much) it has the greatest stall potential.
We have noted possible coordination counters to it also... all of this stuff definitely needs more work and more people working on it.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Welp. Aside from the interesting talk of rainmaker strats, meta, and the like, I'd like to give my goodbye to the tourney. Was fun, unfortunately I wasn't able to participate in the majority of it. Tentacle Difficulties had a good run! We'll be back next time!

Also, Turf War sucks. Don't use it. Please. Ever. Again. PLEASE.

Thanks for the tourney!

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Also, Turf War sucks. Don't use it. Please. Ever. Again. PLEASE.
What are you talking about? Port Mackerel turf war is a pinnacle of the competitive meta, every time someone would shoot ink over into the enemy side of the map the lead would shift to that team! This is the most ~~emergent game play~~ I've seen in years, why you never know who the game will go to! The excitement and glory are unparalleled!! None of these players actually playing it competitively know anything.

/sarcasm

Last edited:

Power

Inkling Commander
What are you talking about? Port Mackerel turf war is a pinnacle of the competitive meta, every time someone would shoot ink over into the enemy side of the map the lead would shift to that team! This is the most emergent game play I've seen in years, why you never know who the game will go to! The excitement and glory are unparalleled!! None of these players actually playing it competitively know anything.

/sarcasm
Splatgreed. Everybody is sleeping on port mack turf.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
Now i know what map in finales TW league in japan is gonna played. /s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom