1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Splatoon 2 has released around the globe!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

Inkling: The Language of Splatoon

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Mithical1, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Joseph Staleknight

Joseph Staleknight Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    JStaleknight
    This looks very neat! All this needs is for each glyph to look consistent in weight, and this looks good to go. A lighter version wouldn't hurt, either.

Marijntjep likes this.
  2. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    Thank you! Are they not consistent right now? Let me know what looks off to you and I can fix it. (On second look, the "C" looks a little thick and the "G" looks a bit off too...)

I'll likely make a lighter weight after I finish everything here. :)

Should I just assign the glyphs randomly/arbitrarily to the other non-English like characters, then…? Or how would you guys suggest assigning glyphs to letters?

3. lolsniper541

lolsniper541 Inkling

NNID:
    lolsniper541
    Can I just say, you guys are amazing.

Marijntjep likes this.
  4. aggravatedTranscription

Assign glyphs to letters phonetically to the closest phonetical equivalent. Don't forget their actual pronunciation because IPA is misread very easily. Here's an audio guide.

PiyozR likes this.
  5. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    I'm familiar with IPA, but thanks, I'll be sure to double check stuff! Aren't we just making up how they're pronounced phonetically, though? Didn't see PiyozR's new post with all the IPA transcriptions – but was that based on, say, transcribing that Squid Sisters song in the Direct as some sort of basis (even if it does conflict with other material), or are those just arbitrary pronunciations?

6. aggravatedTranscription

I think they're arbitrary, since as we've seen multiple times before, the Inkling language is literally undecipherable. We're just making a new language similar to Inkling and made from Inkling's bases, but it actually isn't Inkling.

timman98 and PiyozR like this.
  7. aggravatedTranscription

Ok, this is what I have so far on the whole phonetic organization thing:
    [​IMG]
    (oh cod someboatie please help all this work is krilling me) On a serious note, I really need someone to help me out, organizing 117 whole glyphs is a lengthy task. Unfortunately, I could not make a version with all the glyphs instead of the numbers. If someone could do that once this chart is completed, that would be incredible. Thanks in advance, my fellow squid kids.

Marijntjep likes this.
  8. PiyozR

PiyozR Senior Squid

NNID:
    titanmkiii
    Some of that is Octarian. The rest we either have listed or is too weird to tell. I think we've basically assembled all the letters we can at this point. And yes, those letters are looking nice. Getting a typeface up and going would give any creative types the opportunity to go wild.

The hard part is behind us. With an alphabet, we can start making words as we please. An Inkling dictionary. It's the grammar where we'll have to really use our noodles. I'm going to jot down a few ideas this week. Keep an eye on this thread.

The few others times that I've invented languages for a story, I kinda just form words as I need them. We should start with something like this:
    1- Pronouns
    2- Verbs (to conjugate or not to conjugate?)
    3- Nouns (words you'd need in reference to Splatoon: Inkling, Octarian, squid, ink, gun, roller, hat, shoe, shirt)
    4- Adjectives (colors like blue, green, yellow, and pink. Maybe near/far, dead/alive, good/bad, tall/short)
    5- Prepositions (up, down, left, right, in, out, toward, away, from, to)
    6- How to write names for people and things and places
    7- Conjunctions (and, or, if, but)
    8- And words that describe verb tense (-ed, -ing, will -, have -ed) From there we can do some really simple grammar rules to start forming basic sentences. With all those words out of the way, it will be a snap, really. I'll probably draw up a little comic of the Squid Sisters as professors lecturing on Inkling language.

Then maybe Nintendo-sempai will finally notice me.

Joseph Staleknight and Chocoling like this.
  9. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    Well. I do have to ask. What process do you have for verification of these being legit, or are you just decided what is what yourself? Or are you using words we know are links?

10. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    Chocoling likes this.
  11. PiyozR

PiyozR Senior Squid

NNID:
    titanmkiii
    As has been established multiple times in this thread, none of this is legit. We're making it up entirely from the writing system(s) provided in game.

That's mainly what I used to inspire the sounds of the Inkling alphabet. The way no syllables seem to end in consonants, the simple vowels, the way that it's Japanese but not totally Japanese. Gibberish, to be sure, but helpful.

Like I said, I'm going to write up a few basic words in Inkling (assuming we're all set on this alphabet) probably Tuesday or so. For now, I've got to figure out hwo to Ryu in SSB4.

12. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    How is this organized? Looks nice, though. :)

If we could fill in the standard IPA chart (consonant & vowel parts – the one you linked is also good!) with the corresponding glyph numbers, that'd help a great deal. Only those found in the English language are important, for now, I'd say, as our script/typeface will be Latin-based and I'll likely only add characters for A-Z, a-z, and 0-9, along with probably some stuff for punctuation too.

13. GhostPillow

GhostPillow Inkling

im not sure if this will help in anyways but in game if you go to the accessories shop on the doors you can find a sign that said presumably "95 % off"
    it might be just the same as the "on air" sign but i didn't see the presumed "F" in the alphabeth ( which looked Awesome if i might add)

14. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    Oh, well that really let's me down, I was hoping to understand what's in the game, how it was meant to be, but, oh well, people can't be patient for actual evidence

SuperfastSeal-15 likes this.
  15. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    The sad truth has come through......

Attached Files:

16. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    I'm not sure what's more surprising, the lack of a language or the fact I got a response from this email

17. GrumpyTanner

GrumpyTanner Inkling

NNID:
    Cennybunz
    I think a good place to get a grasp on which letters are which would probably be the danger and warning signs on the wall above the Octo valley entrance? Its pretty easy to tell which is which and desiphering the rest of the text would be a good start I think

( ・ิω・ิ)

Edit: never mind. Way to ruin the fun, Nintendo. Lol

18. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    Actually that just said this for the dialogue, the text is still awaiting a response for text

19. GrumpyTanner

GrumpyTanner Inkling

NNID:
    Cennybunz
    Ah OK i see. Well hopefully we get better news. Its a shame its gibberish, the song is far too put together for that imo

20. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    Well. I think the song had consistent gibberish that they had to sound good

21. Joseph Staleknight

NNID:
    JStaleknight
    Well that sucks.

I don't think it'll stop us from producing some fanon, though! Gotta show our love for the game!

MandL27 likes this.
  22. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    "most" :p :p

and to be fair, they didn't technically mention the writing system, only the spoken dialogue ;)

23. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    Given these lyrics, assuming we have all these characters (can't check right now but will tonight :D ) , it'd be INCREDIBLY helpful if someone could transliterate these lyrics into the Latin (English) alphabet. @Joseph Staleknight, @PiyozR, @aggravatedTranscription? Thank you all! Working on the font now. :)

[​IMG]

PiyozR likes this.
  24. Zephy

Zephy Inkling

NNID:
    KittyFeesh
    There is no amount of awesome that can explain how far we are coming to decipher Inkling!

I'm mostly trying to learn the speech aspect of it. I heard it is a mixture of languages (which is creative since in the beginning of humanity, people all spoke 1 universal language). Could it have been that the inklings combined all the languages of the world to make a solid encrypted language only to be understood by Squid beings? I think that is likely so!

When the Inklings say "Deploy" after setting up something to shoot (Like a Killer Wail), they say something that sounds ODDLY similar to "Deploy" which is spoken as "Depoi!". And when squids land to their allies in battle, they exclaim "Buon dembi!" which roughly sounds like "I'm Ready!". And in conclusion, the word Dembi, which is often said my the males, directly translates to "Ready!".

Stay Fresh is spoken as "Sae Fwuaah"! sounds like the spanish Sea Freska or Se Freska. While other words like "Squii weeboiwee..." which sounds like "Oh Really?!" a phrase of impatience and stress. Sounds like a corruption of the english words "OH REALLY?".

These are only a few examples, but I am still trying to decipher what seems like a load of gibberish XD

I play this game too much help.

25. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    ngyes

26. PiyozR

PiyozR Senior Squid

NNID:
    titanmkiii
    I'll hand-write it today, not because it's useful (it's all gibberish anyway) but just to give myself a better grasp for Inkling text. Let us know when the font is ready!

I imagined that Inkling is Japanese and English combined into one and given thousands of year to incubate. That's just my approach to it.

We're pretty certain at this point that everything that the Inkling say is pure gibberish that won't be/can't be used in establishing this language. Don't take my word for it. Nintendo just told us so in that email shown above.

27. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    Im soory to say that Nintendo confirmed it to be gibberish in an email I sent them sorry

28. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    Sadly I feel like this is going to lead to the text being gibberish, too, I'm awaiting a reply from Nintendo, so at this point we are making our own language that we will sound like were mental to everyone else, if the text is gibberish, I'm out sadly

29. Zephy

Zephy Inkling

NNID:
    KittyFeesh
    Aww that's quite the turnoff. And here I thought I was getting somewhere lol. Oi...

30. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    Thank you! I'll get all the letters looking all neat and then when you post this, I can decide what goes where. :)

31. PiyozR

PiyozR Senior Squid

NNID:
    titanmkiii
    Upon looking at those lyrics, I found a few letters that I never saw before. I decided to add some more letters to our Inkling alphabet. They are attached. Anyone forming some fonts should take note of these.

Here are the song lyrics of the Squid Sisters provided by that video written out in IPA. Maybe I should write it out here, too just to be clear.
    Paifoo-ee, paifoo-ee. Ayoodoopah.
    paifoo-ee, paifoo-ee. Ayah na-ee-ay.
    Rayo haga ay. Nay dee ooyo pa bo-ee pa-ee oyoo ay. Nay di.
    paifoo-ee, paifu-ee. ayoodeeyay ayo gee aya gee aya.
    rayo ha, rayo ha. ga-ee nay. rayo ha. ah-yay ra shu hu na-ee.
    fee so bo-ee faganay gahaypa-ee. nagee ooyo fa ee.
    ayah fay, na-ay ha ayoogee ba-ee ayee ay. Nay ooyay ah yay eeyay ha ba-ee pee
    hu pee nay ga pa

Attached Files:

Marijntjep likes this.
  32. Joseph Staleknight

NNID:
    JStaleknight
    Ooh, nice!

Okay, I've updated the vectors for the syllabary, but I've noticed some errors:
    • The way I see it, glyph 119 (/ho/) has an identical shape to glyph 41 (/ʤe/). We should flip 119 over so that the top bar becomes the bottom.
    • 81 and 125 have the same pronunciation /ɹe/. Can 125 be /ɹo/ instead? I think we have a vacancy there.
    • Finally, 126 has the pronunciation /ɹei/, which is unusual since it's the only glyph that ends in /ei/. Maybe it should be /ɹie/ instead?

Attached Files:

33. PiyozR

PiyozR Senior Squid

NNID:
    titanmkiii
    I spent twenty minutes looking over those letters and still missed those huge oversights.
    -I meant for 119 to be a left/right flip of 40. But to avoid confusion with 116 let's just flip 119 so that the top bar is at the bottom and the squiggle goes from left to right. Just a up/down flip.
    -Again, a totally stupid mistake on my part. 125 being /ɹo/ sounds good to me.
    -And yes I meant /ɹie/. I just wrote it backwards.

Now that's going to be our official unofficial Inkling alphabet. Let's just grant that any other letters that you see will be variations of these that are pronounced the same way. This week I'm going to get some basic words going based on that list of parts of speech seen above. Expect infrequent updates with those at random hours.

Joseph Staleknight likes this.
  34. Marijntjep

Marijntjep Inkling

NNID:
    Marijntjep
    I was researching this language a bit by watching videos, I'll get the game on friday and I'll look into every single poster / text / dialogue

35. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    @PiyozR, @Joseph Staleknight, nice! I've been using the song as some sort of base, working through it line by line.

The song written out was helpful, but what about with each character represented with one English letter? Sorry if I didn't explain clearly before. Where I'm at now, I added some more characters and changed weights of a few others and such to match the glyphs in the Squid Sisters song/video – I have all the characters for at least the first two lines, so far (didn't have much time to spend on it today, sorry!)
    [​IMG]

Currently, as you can probably see, the Inkling characters (apart from those comprising words like 'cat', 'dog', and a couple other words we "know") are assigned random English letters (e.g. FNJ FNJ STG / FNJ FNJKQ-) – what should I be using for them instead? Something to hopefully somewhat match the IPA transcription from your image?

MissingNumbers likes this.
  36. PiyozR

PiyozR Senior Squid

NNID:
    titanmkiii
    That's a good question. We have over 125 letters now. How can we assign each one to a keystroke on a standard keyboard? Here's an idea: Is it possible to assign an inkling character to two or three keystrokes? Could you use the two or three IPA letters representing the pronunciation as the keys that put that character on screen? And then just assign the non-English IPA letters (ʤ et al) to other keys like "L" and "X" or "Q"? Does that work?

37. Poltersquid

Poltersquid Inkling

this may not be the most opportune way to do this, but you could assign some letters to letters with accents, however that would require the use of the US-international format (which most people don't use/ know how to switch to in their computer settings), and the set up would be fairly arbitrary.

38. doop

doop Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Elias56
    once you decipher it what is next

39. Nickfire47

Nickfire47 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Nickfire47
    There not technically deciphering it, there inventing a language based on it

40. MissingNumbers

MissingNumbers Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MissingN
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-4262-2166-2532
    No harm in that, really. If anything, this is really fascinating. I'm especially looking forward to that font, @eli! Partially (by which I mean mostly) because I'm planning to use it for stuff, but hey, details.

MandL27 likes this.