Inkling: The Language of Splatoon

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
EDIT: Look good so far…? Please let me know any suggestions/changes/advice, etc.
This looks very neat! All this needs is for each glyph to look consistent in weight, and this looks good to go. A lighter version wouldn't hurt, either.

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
This looks very neat! All this needs is for each glyph to look consistent in weight, and this looks good to go.
Thank you! Are they not consistent right now? Let me know what looks off to you and I can fix it. (On second look, the "C" looks a little thick and the "G" looks a bit off too...)

I'll likely make a lighter weight after I finish everything here. :)

Should I just assign the glyphs randomly/arbitrarily to the other non-English like characters, then…? Or how would you guys suggest assigning glyphs to letters?

Thank you! Are they not consistent right now? Let me know what looks off to you and I can fix it. (On second look, the "C" looks a little thick and the "G" looks a bit off too...)

I'll likely make a lighter weight after I finish everything here. :)

Should I just assign the glyphs randomly/arbitrarily to the other non-English like characters, then…? Or how would you guys suggest assigning glyphs to letters?
Assign glyphs to letters phonetically to the closest phonetical equivalent. Don't forget their actual pronunciation because IPA is misread very easily. Here's an audio guide.

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
Assign glyphs to letters phonetically to the closest phonetical equivalent. Don't forget their actual pronunciation because IPA is misread very easily.
I'm familiar with IPA, but thanks, I'll be sure to double check stuff! Aren't we just making up how they're pronounced phonetically, though? Didn't see PiyozR's new post with all the IPA transcriptions – but was that based on, say, transcribing that Squid Sisters song in the Direct as some sort of basis (even if it does conflict with other material), or are those just arbitrary pronunciations?

I think they're arbitrary, since as we've seen multiple times before, the Inkling language is literally undecipherable. We're just making a new language similar to Inkling and made from Inkling's bases, but it actually isn't Inkling.

Ok, this is what I have so far on the whole phonetic organization thing:

(oh cod someboatie please help all this work is krilling me) On a serious note, I really need someone to help me out, organizing 117 whole glyphs is a lengthy task. Unfortunately, I could not make a version with all the glyphs instead of the numbers. If someone could do that once this chart is completed, that would be incredible. Thanks in advance, my fellow squid kids.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
HERE is an Imgur album of a couple screenshots I've taken in-game (single player) recently – do we have all these, too? :) I need to go to bed now, but posting it here just in case anyone else could check.

Not sure if we have the one for 'D' in 'DOG' PiyozR wrote, either (it would be a rotated version of 29).

_____

EDIT: Look good so far…? Please let me know any suggestions/changes/advice, etc.
Some of that is Octarian. The rest we either have listed or is too weird to tell. I think we've basically assembled all the letters we can at this point. And yes, those letters are looking nice. Getting a typeface up and going would give any creative types the opportunity to go wild.

So just how close is this to being where I can write in this without confusion?
The hard part is behind us. With an alphabet, we can start making words as we please. An Inkling dictionary. It's the grammar where we'll have to really use our noodles. I'm going to jot down a few ideas this week. Keep an eye on this thread.

I have some ideas about what to do once we finish everything alphabet and phonetics related. When we get to the word stage for rebuilding the Inkling language, we should use this list of 1000 most used words and translate them first. (unfortunately squid, ink, and fresh are not in the list, but we can add those) For now, I'm going to see if i can arrange the alphabet phonetics-wise, rather than by shape.
The few others times that I've invented languages for a story, I kinda just form words as I need them. We should start with something like this:
1- Pronouns
2- Verbs (to conjugate or not to conjugate?)
3- Nouns (words you'd need in reference to Splatoon: Inkling, Octarian, squid, ink, gun, roller, hat, shoe, shirt)
4- Adjectives (colors like blue, green, yellow, and pink. Maybe near/far, dead/alive, good/bad, tall/short)
5- Prepositions (up, down, left, right, in, out, toward, away, from, to)
6- How to write names for people and things and places
7- Conjunctions (and, or, if, but)
8- And words that describe verb tense (-ed, -ing, will -, have -ed) From there we can do some really simple grammar rules to start forming basic sentences. With all those words out of the way, it will be a snap, really. I'll probably draw up a little comic of the Squid Sisters as professors lecturing on Inkling language.

Then maybe Nintendo-sempai will finally notice me.

Nickfire47

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nickfire47
Some of that is Octarian. The rest we either have listed or is too weird to tell. I think we've basically assembled all the letters we can at this point. And yes, those letters are looking nice. Getting a typeface up and going would give any creative types the opportunity to go wild.

The hard part is behind us. With an alphabet, we can start making words as we please. An Inkling dictionary. It's the grammar where we'll have to really use our noodles. I'm going to jot down a few ideas this week. Keep an eye on this thread.

The few others times that I've invented languages for a story, I kinda just form words as I need them. We should start with something like this:
1- Pronouns
2- Verbs (to conjugate or not to conjugate?)
3- Nouns (words you'd need in reference to Splatoon: Inkling, Octarian, squid, ink, gun, roller, hat, shoe, shirt)
4- Adjectives (colors like blue, green, yellow, and pink. Maybe near/far, dead/alive, good/bad, tall/short)
5- Prepositions (up, down, left, right, in, out, toward, away, from, to)
6- How to write names for people and things and places
7- Conjunctions (and, or, if, but)
8- And words that describe verb tense (-ed, -ing, will -, have -ed) From there we can do some really simple grammar rules to start forming basic sentences. With all those words out of the way, it will be a snap, really. I'll probably draw up a little comic of the Squid Sisters as professors lecturing on Inkling language.

Then maybe Nintendo-sempai will finally notice me.
Well. I do have to ask. What process do you have for verification of these being legit, or are you just decided what is what yourself? Or are you using words we know are links?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Well. I do have to ask. What process do you have for verification of these being legit, or are you just decided what is what yourself? Or are you using words we know are links?
As has been established multiple times in this thread, none of this is legit. We're making it up entirely from the writing system(s) provided in game.

http://krvaviabadas.co.vu/post/121398697405/ Hey guys I found someone who found an audio file of calie and Marie JUST singing with no music, hopefully can be used to get a good listen of just talking in inkling
That's mainly what I used to inspire the sounds of the Inkling alphabet. The way no syllables seem to end in consonants, the simple vowels, the way that it's Japanese but not totally Japanese. Gibberish, to be sure, but helpful.

Like I said, I'm going to write up a few basic words in Inkling (assuming we're all set on this alphabet) probably Tuesday or so. For now, I've got to figure out hwo to Ryu in SSB4.

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
Ok, this is what I have so far on the whole phonetic organization thing
How is this organized? Looks nice, though. :)

If we could fill in the standard IPA chart (consonant & vowel parts – the one you linked is also good!) with the corresponding glyph numbers, that'd help a great deal. Only those found in the English language are important, for now, I'd say, as our script/typeface will be Latin-based and I'll likely only add characters for A-Z, a-z, and 0-9, along with probably some stuff for punctuation too.

GhostPillow

Inkling
im not sure if this will help in anyways but in game if you go to the accessories shop on the doors you can find a sign that said presumably "95 % off"
it might be just the same as the "on air" sign but i didn't see the presumed "F" in the alphabeth ( which looked Awesome if i might add)

Nickfire47

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nickfire47
As has been established multiple times in this thread, none of this is legit. We're making it up entirely from the writing system(s) provided in game.

That's mainly what I used to inspire the sounds of the Inkling alphabet. The way no syllables seem to end in consonants, the simple vowels, the way that it's Japanese but not totally Japanese. Gibberish, to be sure, but helpful.

Like I said, I'm going to write up a few basic words in Inkling (assuming we're all set on this alphabet) probably Tuesday or so. For now, I've got to figure out hwo to Ryu in SSB4.
Oh, well that really let's me down, I was hoping to understand what's in the game, how it was meant to be, but, oh well, people can't be patient for actual evidence

Nickfire47

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nickfire47
I'm not sure what's more surprising, the lack of a language or the fact I got a response from this email

GrumpyTanner

Inkling
NNID
Cennybunz
I think a good place to get a grasp on which letters are which would probably be the danger and warning signs on the wall above the Octo valley entrance? Its pretty easy to tell which is which and desiphering the rest of the text would be a good start I think

( ・ิω・ิ)

Edit: never mind. Way to ruin the fun, Nintendo. Lol

Nickfire47

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nickfire47
I think a good place to get a grasp on which letters are which would probably be the danger and warning signs on the wall above the Octo valley entrance? Its pretty easy to tell which is which and desiphering the rest of the text would be a good start I think

( ・ิω・ิ)

Edit: never mind. Way to ruin the fun, Nintendo. Lol
Actually that just said this for the dialogue, the text is still awaiting a response for text

GrumpyTanner

Inkling
NNID
Cennybunz
Actually that just said this for the dialogue, the text is still awaiting a response for text
Ah OK i see. Well hopefully we get better news. Its a shame its gibberish, the song is far too put together for that imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom