• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Least Favorite Map?

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Kelp Dome is horrible; too narrow and linear to get anything done, and walking on the bridge leaves you at a disadvantage against good users IMO.
Yeah I don’t see a point for the bridges and cat walks unless you’re a charger. That’s honestly probly the only reason they’re there. Walking along them is suicide. It only makes sense to stand up there and snipe and then squid through the grate to the bottom when in trouble. I do like the map itself though for the most part.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Shellendorf and Starfish easily. Positioning on either map is awful.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
Humpback push track and MFF.

Both maps are just so bland to play on after a normal session.

Reactions: the

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I see a lot of people that dislike Humpback Pump Track here. I know I'm not exactly the guy who follows popular opinion or anything, but I really like this stage! There's something about its layout and the way the stage curves about that I find to be something that appeals to my sensibilities. It also allows for effective use of most weapon types, something that someone like me can get on board with! On the other hand, I can't stand Starfish Mainstage. It serves as another, slightly different version of Port Mackerel, another stage I don't like, in a sense. The reasoning is quite simple. These stages are designed for straight forward aggression and close quarters combat. This is all well and good, but I am the mid to long range support guy. These stages make me feel out of my element. I don't do good support or defense on these stages because they are designed with total aggression in mind. You usually don't have good matches here and they will usually end in spawn camping one way or another.

I'm also not a big fan of Moray Towers, but only because of how often I see it in the rotation. Maybe this is because this is the only map at the moment that does verticality really well. But if that is the case, why not make another map that does verticality well, but in a slightly different sense? That way it won't feel like Moray Towers is always being spammed to death.

Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander
I see a lot of people that dislike Humpback Pump Track here. I know I'm not exactly the guy who follows popular opinion or anything, but I really like this stage! There's something about its layout and the way the stage curves about that I find to be something that appeals to my sensibilities. It also allows for effective use of most weapon types, something that someone like me can get on board with! On the other hand, I can't stand Starfish Mainstage. It serves as another, slightly different version of Port Mackerel, another stage I don't like, in a sense. The reasoning is quite simple. These stages are designed for straight forward aggression and close quarters combat. This is all well and good, but I am the mid to long range support guy. These stages make me feel out of my element. I don't do good support or defense on these stages because they are designed with total aggression in mind. You usually don't have good matches here and they will usually end in spawn camping one way or another.

I'm also not a big fan of Moray Towers, but only because of how often I see it in the rotation. Maybe this is because this is the only map at the moment that does verticality really well. But if that is the case, why not make another map that does verticality well, but in a slightly different sense? That way it won't feel like Moray Towers is always being spammed to death.
Tbh the reason I’m not a huge fan of humpback is bc it seems like it’s in the rotation whenever I’m playing... and I don’t play super often so seeing it over and over is frustrating, especially because there are some newer maps that I’ve only seen once, or not at all

techton

Senior Squid
Moray, Humpback, and Shellendorf are my least favorites. Moray is just annoyingly steep, Humpback seems to be in rotation too often, and I think it's the one I've been on the most, and I reeeally dislike the glass roof that players always go on to flank opponents in Shellendorf.

PotatoVerse

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6153-0871-4621
Like the title says, what is (in your opinion) the worst map in Splatoon 2? Mine would be Moray Towers.

I just hate it.
I really hate goby arena and wall eye Warehouse. They both are spawn camp central.

Zeke

Inkling
NNID
ShadowDonut02
Switch Friend Code
SW-2970-1016-1819
I hate Goby Arena because it is too small and the middle is hectic. I also hate Shellendorf because long range weapons just dominate the top area and can just shoot down on the objective in ranked.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I feel like I'm one of the few who's going to actually support Moray Towers - it's way better now than it was in Splatoon 1, and now that snipers are less prevalent it just isn't quite the same hell-hole that it used to be.

My least favourites are probably Shellendorf and Musselforge Fitness just in general. Maybe I haven't played the former enough times to actually understand the tactics you should employ on it, but it's just meh right now. Musselforge is just king of the hill, and getting back in is a pain if the opponents have secured mid.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
My least favourites are probably Shellendorf and Musselforge Fitness just in general. Maybe I haven't played the former enough times to actually understand the tactics you should employ on it, but it's just meh right now. Musselforge is just king of the hill, and getting back in is a pain if the opponents have secured mid.
I definitely agree with you on Musselforge Fitness. I find it extremely galling that battles on this stage always end up devolving into a one sided mess. Admittedly fun if you are having a nice back and forth over who controls the hill. Y'know, a good battle. But once it gets to spawn camping territory, then I am less likely to want to come back. They should cancel my membership just for that.

Warning! Unpopular opinion ahead! Please avoid if you are prone to becoming easily upset or if you just like to bite people!

I don't get why so many people dislike Shellendorf Institute. I, personally, quite like that stage! The area is large and open, meaning that battles in the lower area are going to come down to who can make better use of the objects that are there for cover and who is better at the overall dance of the skirmish. But it also has that multi level thing going on with the glass that makes the stage viable for long range weaponry. It is a stage that does its best to try to address the current lack of balance in the stages that actually favor long ranged weapons, something that the game sorely needs for those of us who actually like long range, and everyone hates it? Is it just that the close ranged meta doesn't like to share the spotlight? Is there something about this stage that I am missing or overlooking that everyone else is seeing? Am I among the few that actually appreciates this stage? Whatever the case may be, I would like to have an actual discussion about it as well as what you think could be done to make long ranged weapons more viable. The latter point may be better suited for another thread, but I would certainly like to hear about the former.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
But it also has that multi level thing going on with the glass that makes the stage viable for long range weaponry. It is a stage that does its best to try to address the current lack of balance in the stages that actually favor long ranged weapons, something that the game sorely needs for those of us who actually like long range, and everyone hates it?
I feel like if the upper level had a patch of inkable glass it would be better for longer range weapons, rather than those patches way at the sides that you have to migrate to in order to appreciably recover your tank; we may even see more E-litres because of that. You could even employ some weird mechanics where people on the same level as you can't see you, like normal sharking, but from the underside the ink goes clear and your squid remains visible. It could give some interesting team tactics in higher level play, plus if you get flanked by some shorter range weapons, you have a chance to remain stealthy to fight back.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
I'll have to say Goby Arena simply because it's the only map I haven't had a good time on even once. It feels very cramped but at the same time very open, too much flanking and spawncamping happens here for my tastes.

I feel like I'm one of the few who's going to actually support Moray Towers - it's way better now than it was in Splatoon 1, and now that snipers are less prevalent it just isn't quite the same hell-hole that it used to be.
I can agree on this. On the new Moray Towers it's especially fun to sneak up on and splat long-ranged folks with a roller.. :p

Flurry

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0999-0377-5580
MakoMart for sure. Everything on that stage is so difficult to work with. I can't ever just secure a kill on it because of its verticality. The zone takes forever to cap, and once one team has possession of it, feel free to say GGs. It's hard to defend the tower because of all of the objects that stick upward that block your shots. Rainmaker is pretty good, ngl, but Clam Blitz is a pure nightmare. Yes, most games are close, but usually the first team to score loses. Even Turf War isn't that fun. I'm more of a Ranked player, but I just can't stand playing MakoMart on anything other than Rainmaker.

I strongly dislike Kelp Dome as well, but rather than Rainmaker, the mode I can stand is Tower Control. Again, taking the zone takes waaaaaay too long. No one really protects you in Rainmaker, and even if they do, people can shoot at you through the grates. Clam Blitz, everyone gets stuck in choke. I'd go through catwalk more, but it's too obvious and people see you way too easily.

One last one. I know this map hasn't been released, so my opinion might change, but I was strongly opposed to seeing Camp Triggerfish make a return. Splat Zones is going to be the same long-range ruled mode it was, you'll never be able to get past 50 in Tower Control, you'll get obliterated in Rainmaker, and who knows what'll happen in Clam Blitz (tbh that's the mode I'll probably favor)? Not to mention, Triggerfish is going to be "Skill Ray" haven. Please nerf the Sting Ray at least a little bit before this map gets released, please.

Last edited:

MrMontolio

Inkling
Starfish Mainstage... There was a time when it was my stage with most defeats (probably it still is, gotta check Splatnet to verify). I'm kind of cool with Tower Control, but I overwhelm too easily on Splat Zones and Clam Blitz (especially the latter one, the mode alone does that already). At first glance it looks simple, but omg is it such a stealthy stage...

I may include Moray Towers as well. People say it's the chargers heaven, but ironically it's where I like to use a charger the least. Maybe I'm still not very used at the chargers' maximum range... But I should. I love the Jet Squelcher and I know how far it can reach.

Tbh one of my weaknes is being stealthy. I assume it's the last basic thing I started learning about how to play better. Usually I just shoot as much as I can on each second, but I'm finally calming down and take pauses to learn about the moment. Hopefully once I master that I won't have any stage I hate, 'cause I actually like all of them. I do think they all have at least a decent structure design.
RIP Blackbelly Skatepark's Rainmaker stage.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I agree with @Flurry on Kelp Dome. My reasoning is somewhat similar. The catwalks are supposed to give a unique sense of verticality, but I feel like the true gimmick to this stage will always be hiding around one of the many... many... tight corners. You're just in a hallway or it the open.

It comes off feeling like a series of choke points, rather than the "watch your feet, watch the sky" sort of gameplay I think was initially conceived.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
My personal least favorite is Manta Maria. The only real fun thing about that one is infiltrating the enemy's half by going to the right (their left). Other than that it's rather boring IMO.

But I still like it enough. In fact, there's not a single stage that I downright dislike or never play on. Hell, even Manta Maria I like in SZ.

Though god knows there's enough stages I skip in certain ranked modes.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I'm pretty bad at Manta Maria for some reason, but Musselforge Fitness and Humpback Pumptrack are my banes. For Musselforge, mostly because it's hard to get around--for such a small stage, it can be really slow to make your way over to the tower, rainmaker, or clam basket if you get out of place at the wrong time. I do well at Splat Zones on it but miserably in every other mode. I'm not sure why I'm so horrible at Humpback--I literally have a 0% win rate there in Rainmaker and Tower Control.

But the stages I "dislike" are the small, same-y ones, even the ones I do well in: Musselforge, MakoMart, Inkblot, The Reef. They're just boring. I like Shellendorf and Kelp Dome, they require you to use different strategies than what works in other stages. And actually Moray Towers has grown on me--it's not the sniper's paradise it was in S1 by a long shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom