• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Least Favorite Map?

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
nobody hates port mackeral, as far I can see, but I despise the stage. Something about it just frustrates me every time, and not knowing what that is makes it worse.

the

Inkling Commander
nobody hates port mackeral, as far I can see, but I despise the stage. Something about it just frustrates me every time, and not knowing what that is makes it worse.
Probably because the area of the map that can be considered “your spawn” is very large in this stage, and all routes from spawn lead to an open courtyard area. So if a team is diligent enough, matches can turn into a spawncamp as soon as someone has control of mid.

Also, I really dislike this stage too, I think some ppl who played splatoon 1 have just become numb to its terrible design. I’m honestly thankful it got a little bit of improvement in this game :p

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Metal King Slime Ooo! If i take you out, I'll level up at least three times! :D

On the topic of Port Mackerel, fear not! I, too, have a dislike of this stage! It might have been worse in the first game, but that doesn't excuse its poor design and philosophy even now. Narrow pathways leading to an open courtyard where your visibility is limited but they can see for days? Check. Every encounter being a tense showdown in enclosed, claustrophobic spaces? Check. The very design of the map leading to furious, spawn camping agony? Check and double check. I noticed that someone was complaining about Goby Arena because of the spawn camping that happens there. It can be frustrating, but it doesn't even compare to the infuriating mess that Port Mackerel can be. Goby Arena has spots that anyone can use to be effective and plenty of verticality to try to break up some of those frustrating spawn camping moments. You'll get no such luxury on Port Mackerel. Granted, it has a couple of spots. But they are far from ideal for trying to break up a spawn camp. Basically meaning that if you are being spawn camped on Port Mackerel your choices are 'Agony and Defeat sandwich' or 'Agony and Defeat Sandwich' with extra ketchup.

L;lac

Inkling
Blackbelly Skatepark, not much to say except Bamboozler sux to use on this map, and trying to swim over all of the bumps is really annoying.

Reactions: the

catmeow1

Inkling
Well, i used to hate Arowana mall because I found dualies the most useful, but the glitch threw me off. now i like it. The one that I hate still is blackbelly skatepark. It´s only good when i´m on the tower, but everyone who uses my weapon type and everyone else is trying to get on the tower. (actual tower, not tower control)

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
The central tower is a hotly contested area that can often define who is doing well and who is getting curb stomped. Once someone is parked there it can be hard to get them off of that spot. Take it from me, the guy using long ranged weapons and playing support most of the time. A couple of tips for challenging people in that tower spot.

1. Throw something at them. Paper airplanes and rocks are a nice thought, but I was thinking more along the lines of bombs and sprinklers. Any lethal bomb should get them to move at least for a bit unless they like being blasted by enemy ink. A sprinkler will not make them scatter, but will distract them hopefully long enough for you to enact a strategy. Point Sensors will only tell you what you already know, but might get the attention of nearby teammates. You never know.

2. A good sniping position. I like to take up the position to the right of your spawn with the quarter pipes that lead up the that elevated sniping platform with the L shaped wall for protection. Most long ranged weapons can reach the top of that tower and be dangerous to those that have taken up residence there, but I prefer the Heavy/Hydra Splatling and the Splattershot Pro. The harassment you provide can usually be enough to help one of your teammates claim that tower and allow you to make a push in whatever mode you happen to be playing.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
Eh. Blackbellyy Skatepark is ok for me. I'm super paranoid of going up onto that central area, and moving into the left side area on tower control can be a deaths sentence.

TaylorSquoosh

Inkling
Just started playing on the new Pirahna Pit map and I think it’s awful. I just don’t like the layout.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I actually like the new layout for Piranha Pit. I understand that no particular stage is going to make everyone happy, but I like that not everything is so closely smashed together in this iteration of it. The first time around, it became to easy to shut people out by jumping from the angled conveyor belts to their plats and keeping them from gaining any momentum. It can still be easy to get a spawn camp going, but it isn't too hard to get out of a spawn camp here either with at least three different directions you can go from spawn that all lead somewhere significantly different. Once out of spawn, you have this nice, open playground to run around in that is very comfortable and accessible for most weapon types, making it feel like a more balanced arena than what we had before. These are just one squids opinions though. I'm sure there are reasons to dislike the stage. On the whole, I rather like it though!

catmeow1

Inkling
never dealt with the old piranha pit, as i could only afford splatoon 2. but i love piranha pit in splatoon 2. for me being a roller/brush/shortrange main, its a little annoying with all the sniper spots that pop up, but i like it. very open.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Oh trust me, I HATE PORT MACKERAL

Looking at this thread, I was surprised half the people here didn't say they had it as their least favorite. Because it's one of the worst designed maps, with it's bland flat battleground with almost no where to be perched up on. And with only a couple (closed off) ways to get out of spawn, guess what happens? That's right, a disgusting spawn camp happens almost every match, and stingray is disgustingly overpowered here. It's so powerful there's pretty much a guaranteed kill whenever you use it properly. Which is being in the back and swinging the laser back and forth, that's it. Don't believe me? Here are some clips to prove it.

Try swiping left and right on other maps, I guarantee you won't get as many stingray kills than you would while playing port. And not to mention, playing port (especially before the first push or so) is incredibly boring. There are a lot of stalemates here, just because both teams know the consequence of being spawn camped after losing the first fight. At least the OP stingray here helps the momentum finally amount to something, instead of having both teams trade subs, or wait for a lucky curling bomb kill.

Moray Towers I despise as well, and it suffers from one thing. Why are there so many floors to this place? Seriously, getting back into the fight takes ages unless you have a safe jump or a squid beacon to super jump to, or else you have to wait until you fall down two flights of map (in which time the enemy team has already established control over. So that's great. And guess what, there's always a stalemate here too. Since ranged weapons are so successful here, and flanking is rather limited, the battle is rather boring at first. One thing I'll give it over port is that stingray isn't overpowered here. Actually, it can't do much on this map, since the opponents can finally climb on perches and actually dodge the stingray.

So, I'd say in terms of worst maps (in my opinion):
1. Port Mackerel
2. Moray Towers
(would you look at that, they're both splatoon 1 maps)

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
nobody hates port mackeral, as far I can see
... Since when? Port is probably the map that has been most disliked in S2 since the game came out (Or maybe Moray, but I still think Moray is a fun map)

Saltysulty

Inkling
i dont care what you say, triggerfish is.... well every time i play on it it makes me feel like this DSFDSFDJSOFIAJIODIOPSANGIPODASNOGIPDASNOIGNDFMDL;KSAGILAH;OFJNPIONJPFNDAJFN;JDANFJK;NJHNFDIUOSNHIDSNHFSNGLJNJHSGLHOIUBOIUSNUIOFGDFISH

And it hasnt even released yet! but for now id have to say its kelp dome.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I will defend port mackerel, I think it’s a great training map or chargers and perhaps blasters too. The lack of verticality leads to an experience different from any other map. The worst map in my mind is saltspary Rig. Still. No, I digress, shellendorf is definitely my least favourite of Splat 2’s maps. The fact that it is a dual layered map with immense difficulty to get up to the top layer is just a killer for me. At least with hammerhead you could get back up easily and shoot through the grates at a runaway rainmaker. Clam Blitz is definitely the worst on that map though, it’s genuinely painful watching everything happen above you with very little you can do about it. Splatoon’s plays, especially in this game require quick thinking and movement, not long backtracks which lead to a panic, which leads to haste which leads to death.

Honourable mention goes to pretty much every Shifty Station with a few exceptions. What keeps the horrendous invisible ink layout with the single chokepoint off the absolute worst is we only had it for one splatfest.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
Maybe it'll get better with time, but I've found Goby Arena to be absolutely unbearable in every mode. I love the theme and the look, but the huge flat mid area is so incredibly stressful to me. And why is there so much uninkable area near spawn? And why is it impossible to take back control of the zone when your team gets wiped? And why is my team so constantly wiped? Here's my typical back and forth when this map is in rotation:

- Plays short to mid range weapon, finds it impossible to accomplish anything because a charger/jet/splatling is murdering me from a high up spot every time I go near mid. Hmm, I think I'll try a longer range weapon and do the same!

- Plays long range weapon, finds it impossible to accomplish anything because because some god-like roller/blaster continually flanks us, kills me, then probably the rest of my team too as I look on in horror.

I will agree that Port Mackerel and Moray Towers are awful as well. Who exactly is Nintendo asking when they decide to bring back old maps? They sure don't seem like "fan favorites".

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
The sad thing is that Port Mackerel probably is a fan favorite. For some people, it is an easy win here. Think about it. It is essentially a small, three lane map with little in the way of stage hazards (save for those horrid trucks in TW) and a rather plain layout. Hmm...now who does this cater to? League of Legends players? Call of Duty players? Maybe even Halo players? Perish the thought! A map developed with the lowest common denominator in mind? A map that will earn almost instant popularity from the people who popularized the genre in teh first place? C'mon, you know that's easier than trying to come up with something fun and unique that actually caters the unique movement system that this game employs! I mean really, who actually likes maps like Hammerhead Bridge and Flounder Heights? Honestly?

@NOICE BTW, all the complaints you have about Goby Arena could be said about S1's Ancho-V Games as well. It has a very similar layout with many of the same issues. It just has fewer (and by "fewer" I mean "no") fan lifts. Instead we get terrain that cannot be inked and sponges. I honestly like Goby Arena better, but I can see why someone would not like it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom