1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Least Favorite Map?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by _Koriko_, Mar 15, 2018.

1. RelicRaider

RelicRaider Pro Squid

NNID:
    RelicRaiderULTD
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6136-3428-7995
    @Dark Sage Walker You’ve just reminded me of Flounder Heights and I absolutely can’t wait for that map to come back. I remember really struggling at first but I think that’s one of the most well designed maps in, probably both games actually. I know this thread is about least favourite maps, but the reminder of Flounder Heights is actually making me want to go back and play the first game again right now.

Dark Sage Walker likes this.
  2. Elecmaw

Elecmaw Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3466-8927-7969
    If the critique is gonna be "dull boring maps are popular with pro players" think again. I don't think pros like the stinky Mackerel either, where it's unavoidable lasers galore. At least in S1 Wail stood in one fixed spot.
    Moray in most modes is just flat-out badly designed, where half of the map gets completely unused. CB Moray is just the center, and nothing else. The staircase of skyscrapers exist to just artificially pad out respawn times.

On the subject of S2 maps, personally i really dislike Marina/Starfish aka what it feels like dying to blasters and sloshers nonstop.

Cephalobro likes this.
  3. Maave

Maave Inkling Commander

Yeah the biggest issue is the "fatal funnel" leading from the spawn lanes to the open areas. The upper/side routes don't have enough visibility to counter a spawncamp. It's enough to flank but not enough to get the coverage needed to actually counter. On a positive note I think the center area has improved with the sponges and routes to the top of the boxes.

the likes this.
  4. Dark Sage Walker

Dark Sage Walker Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    Agreed, the center area has improved dramatically. But if you can't get to that area thanks to being spawn camped, then it really makes no difference. Like you said, it all comes down to a lack of visibility and having no alternate routes to go through to get things moving if you do start to get camped. This map is, in my opinion, the worst in the game.

I hear ya. I dislike these stages quite a bit myself. Neither one makes me feel like I am doing well even when I am. Rather, it makes me feel like I am simply conquering a law of averages. I don't think that's fun for either side.

5. MeTaGross

MeTaGross Inkling Cadet

The law of averages doesn't exist in realistic terms, it only applies as the number of trials/attempts approaches infinity.
    (Sorry, I'm taking a stats course and don't have any way to apply it to life)

Dark Sage Walker likes this.
  6. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    Welcome to most college courses nowadays. :(

I understand what you are saying. I just mean to say that playing on Manta Maria or Starfish Mainstage feels like you are just going to win eventually as compared to with any modicum of skill and/or knowledge. I know this is kind of an ignorant way of thinking about these stages. It's just how I feel about them.

7. King Aqua Shadow

Kelp Dome. It's honestly the only stage from 2 that I can definitely say I dislike and the only one from 1 that I can recall disliking offhand. Granted, I'm not as annoyed with it in my experiences from 2, but still.

8. TheScourge

TheScourge Inkling

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3420-2780-5047

I hate blackbelly for the same reason and same with kelp dome

SquidletSquidlet likes this.
  9. RocketsTail

RocketsTail Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2874-2863-4789
    Starfish Mainstage. Splat Zone is the only time I can tolerate it. Other than that, it's just a boring stage imo. I used to dislike Moray Towers a lot.....but now it's ok. It's not my favorite, but it's not my least favorite anymore. The only time I hate Blackbelly is in ranked mode. Turf mode.....I love it. I guess my hate for a stage depends on the mode.

10. RapidFire!

RapidFire! Inkling

IDK i hate snapper canal

SquidletSquidlet likes this.
  11. Leni

Leni Inkling

NNID:
    neptunia
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5016-3156-9135
    Moray Towers is a true stinker. Nintendo changed it a couple of times, but... you can't polish a turd. o_O I was never a big fan of Camp Triggerfish either, so I was kind of bummed to see it reappear in the latest update.

12. Cephalobro

Cephalobro Inkling Fleet Admiral

Honestly, Port Mackerel is just bad in Rainmaker, this just proves my point that the spawn point shield of that stage needs to be bigger so that the enemy team doesn't get access to those areas. Think about it, anyone with a Rainmaker can just perch there with no one able to stop them in time. Or at least make those areas a Rainmaker-free zone, anything to prevent a team from taking unfair advantage.

13. RocketsTail

RocketsTail Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2874-2863-4789
    Camp Triggerfish. I was excited when it debuted because it was new to me since I never played it on Splatoon 1. Now I hate it. It’s like a colorful version of Moray Towers because of how disconnected it is. It takes forever to get to the enemy side compared to other stages and it’s dreadful for Splat Zones. It’s basically a pissing contest to see who has the longer range weapon. I’d take Moray or Blackbelly SZ over Splat Zones on Triggerfish. I have the worst win percentage on Triggerfish and it’s messed up how they always pair it up with one of my favorite maps. And the fact that Splatoon doesn’t have a stable pattern of switching out the two maps, it makes it tricky for weapon choice. I’ll only use a slower long range if I know it’s gonna be Triggerfish but with Splatoon you never know which of the two maps you’ll get. They should do an update where the first hour is one map and the second hour is the second map.

Leni likes this.
  14. Sevrault

Sevrault Inkling

NNID:
    sevrault
    I really hate Shellendorf even though I usually main long-range weapons. You're pretty much asking to lose if you use a short-range weapon in this map xd

15. NBSink

NBSink Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5607-3736-5200
    If I have a map which I don't like then it's Triggering Campfish (My name for Camp Triggerfish). Even if rollers aren't that of a thing anymore. I will always carry on that negative roller s**t from Splatoon1. One carbon roller and the team had almost no chance of EVER getting back.

But there is nothing holding me back from playing it. There is no map which I really dislike that I don't like it. I just want to get as good as I can.

16. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    I've recently reevaluated my opinion of Goby Arena. I'm starting to dislike this stage more and more as time goes on. But it hasn't replaced my dislike of Manta Maria or Moray Towers. Narrow passages opening up into a huge, open area? Lovely. That doesn't invite Blaster camping at all!

Moray Towers I dislike because it shows up so regularly! I get tired of this stage and would love it if it just didn't appear for a while.

Of course, any time I can get on The Reef is a good time to me. :D

Marfie likes this.
  17. Kaisen

Kaisen Inkling

NNID:
    Kaisen
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3234-5805-9996
    I really dislike Goby Arena, the map just feels waayyyy too small

18. Cephalobro

Cephalobro Inkling Fleet Admiral

Now that I think about it, I'm starting to dislike Goby Arena, maybe it's because of those linear areas with tarps.

19. SilverBrick

SilverBrick Pro Squid

NNID:
    SilverBrick
    Inkling kirby and Leni like this.
  20. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    Not that I enjoy beating dead horses or anything, but I just recently popped back onto Splatoon after taking a little miniature break thanks to being sick and what do I find after a few days of inactivity? Of all the possibilities that could possibly be there? None other than Moray Towers! I swear this stage stalks me just to pop out at the worst possible time! Like a creepy person on the bus or Pinkie Pie with a cake. I don't want to see you, Moray Towers! Go bother someone else! :mad: