• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Least Favourite/Most useless skill?

Lorbeerprinz

Full Squid
NNID
lorbeerprinz
I couldn't care less for Run Speed Up. If I want to get anywhere, I'd rather swim, actually (that being said, I don't use Swim Speed Up either... x'D ). There's actually a whole bunch of skills I don't personally need, like Last Ditch Effort or Ninja Squid. Then there's some of them that can be useful, but I mostly rather use other things instead. But who knows, when I shuffle my weapons around some more I might actually try some other setups.
But yeah, I don't think I'lll ever use Run Speed Up of any of the other ones I listed.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Since I pretty much always use weapons with Specials like the Killer Wail and the Inkstrike, Special Duration Up is pretty much useless for me (without the ability you get a very long time to throw your special; I think more than what it lasts for). Aside of that, I've had some really bad luck whenever I try using anything with Ink Saver (sub) and I've never found Clothes with Haunt that I like :(

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I have to agree with quick super jump being one of the worst, pretty sure it just gets out classed by quick respawns in the end

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I guess that's just me, I never really found Last Ditch Effort to useful... and I don't find Opening Gambit to useful either (even though you can get to the front lines fast in the beginning of the match, but I rather just have swim speed at that point), but I do find some of the Last Ditch Effort gear pretty fresh looking. ;)
If Last-Ditch stays on during OVERTIME in Ranked, it'd be even more powerful. In its current form it's stronger in Turf War.

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
wow, the range of responses in this thread are really interesting. i really don't ever use bomb range up (because my main weapon has no bombs at all!), but i don't think it's useless. i would say that run speed up is pretty useless, since most inklings swim in ink rather than run as a kid. also, i'm currently using a lot of gear with run speed up by accident (i'm not good with checking the stats of my items and just wear what looks cute lmao) and i noticed a very negligible difference in the running speed.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Cold blooded and Damage up are pretty garbage.
You must have not gone to the high ranked competitive matches to see that people really do use these abilities.

Last edited:

Power

Inkling Commander
I was kidding around sorry ;p
im a 3k main, so i know the importance of cold blooded and damage up.
Well, good luck finding and splating me if you have Echolocator and me having a few Defense Up skills.
You must have not gone to the high ranked competitive matches to see that people really do use these abilities.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
I was kidding around sorry ;p
im a 3k main, so i know the importance of cold blooded and damage up.
I'm not saying those are the best skills in the game, but it can really help for certain comps that always knows your position and locks you down early.

Power

Inkling Commander
I'm not saying those are the best skills in the game, but it can really help for certain comps that always knows your position and locks you down early.
Definitely, cold blooded has its uses and can be pretty useful for many roles. (such as flanker or if you play very sneaky) Damage up has been kinda necessary for me as a 3k user because of the whole business with half charging. The upcoming patch changes that however I have noticed that I usually charge to 70% so it really isnt that big of a deal for me. I guess no more squiffer like quads with the 3k.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Yeah, going with the general populace and calling Last-Ditch Effort the most useless. I've worn the safari hat for the lulz, and I don't think it's made much of a difference for me.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Yeah, going with the general populace and calling Last-Ditch Effort the most useless. I've worn the safari hat for the lulz, and I don't think it's made much of a difference for me.
It's because comeback pretty much gives you a boost every 20 seconds when you die and LDE only works for the last half minute of the match (in the case you die that's 10 seconds gone).

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'd still love to see the hard data on what Comeback/LDE/OG actually do in terms of stats, there isn't that much info on these abilities. From what saw from Nintendome's videos...
Opening Gambit actually gives you 1 Swim Speed Up + 1 Run Speed Up for 30 seconds after starting the match, kind of making it worthless. Last-Ditch Effort gives you 2 (or maybe 3) Ink Savers + 2 Ink Recovery + 2 Sub Savers for 30 seconds at the end of the match. Comeback gives you 1 Swim Speed Up + 1 Run Speed Up + 1.5 Ink Saver Main + 1 Sub Saver for 20 seconds upon respawning.
Please correct me on this if i'm wrong!

LDE might be useful if you're playing Turf War, because it gives you crazy ink recovery and TW only judges the end result so you can ink far more turf with LDE active and maybe charge enough to fire off an Inkstrike if you happen to use that. I personally can't see how Gambit would be useful, when you can use a single Swim Speed Up instead.

I still personally consider Sub Saver to be the absolute worst, because it saves barely anything. It only makes a noticeably difference if you use costly subs like Seekers and Sprinklers (which you shouldn't spam). If you want to keep firing longer, stick with Main Saver.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
20 seconds, I even just said in my post above.
But i was talking about Opening Gambit, and not Comeback. Comeback lasts 20 seconds while OG lasts 30.
Allright, i'll add info on how long each ability lasts to my original post to clear things up.

soujirou88

Inkster Jr.
NNID
soujirou88
i'd say that quick super jump is the most useless of the abilities. most of the time, super jumping is a horrid idea in the first place, without communication with your teammate. also, i pretty much never see anyone use it at all. whether it be in the main or sub slots, ink battles in general are just barren of this ability.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
If you have a network of Squid Beakons, super-jumping is essential to your strategy. I can't really do much with the Sploosh-o-matic without a good network of Squid Beakons, especially if I'm playing Splat Zones. (But I think I'm just bad with the Sploosh-o-matic in general.) Strategic super-jumping is also good in long stages like Hammerhead Bridge, which would otherwise take too long. And if I'm way over on the opponent's half of the stage in Turf War and I see my team is losing according to the status up top, I'll look at the map, and if I see the enemy ink encroaching up near the spawn point (and it's usually like that in such a circumstance), I super-jump back to the spawn point, a guaranteed safe zone, and start cleaning up and attacking opponents there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom