• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Least Favourite/Most useless skill?

soujirou88

Inkster Jr.
NNID
soujirou88
the beakons are like the only decent way to use quick super jump. but even then, if you're jumping to one of the beacons due to dieing previously, then quick respawn flat out outclasses it since you're saving more time getting back in action anyway, while not being screwed by opponents taking out the beacons. if you're using beacons outside of respawinng however, that's a different story. on a another note, beakons are criminally underused, making quick super jump even less likely to be a significant factor.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Yeah, I first tried using the Sploosh-o-matic on Camp Triggerfish Splat Zones, which I soon realized was not the best choice, as you're supposed to be shooting from one Splat Zone into the other--but I still managed to lend crucial support by figuring out 5 to 6 secluded locations on the map where I could put up Squid Beakons to gain easy access to both Splat Zones (such that opponents wouldn't attack and destroy them), super-jumping between Beakons as necessary (and always placing another one there) whenever the opposing team was inking too much of a Splat Zone. That being said, I couldn't do much against the opposing team simultaneously attacking BOTH Splat Zones, and my teammates, until many matches in, didn't use any of my Beakons. And since I was the only one using the Beakons, it usually meant I was separated from my teammates, making me easy prey if multiple opponents were nearby.

Ao Ika

Inkling
I don't exactly like Quick Super Jump. The Ninja and Speed powers, and Ink Saver Main, are the best. Also, a bit of Defense and Attack boosts never hurt. A good Haunt, I've never used.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
For abilities that are just generally not worth having, Opening and Last Ditch are just not worth the slots, and are generally outclassed by Comeback unless you are the most amazing player in the world. Bomb Sniffer is an interesting ability, but can range from too limited to completely useless depending on the enemy loadout. I used to use Ink Saver pretty enthusiastically, but upon further inspection, its effect is too minimal, even with stacking, to be worth pursuing.

As for abilities that depend on the situation, Recon obviously requires some method of communication to be useful to your team in general, and otherwise has limited tactical use just to yourself. Quick Super Jump can be interesting on some builds, but also has to compete with quick respawn, which tends to be used under similar circumstances. Bomb Throw up has some interesting applications, but is useless on a good number of weapons for obvious reasons, and might not be worth dedicating any resources to on weapons that can use it. Tenacity is also an interesting ability, but to get the most out of it requires you to be a dominant player on your team, or at the very least a very defensive one.

LadyGhirahim

Inkling
NNID
Lady_Ghirahim
Most useless is bomb sniffer. There are much better things to be using as a main slot. And personally, I find that it just clutters up the screen.
Recon is a second. Even with team communication I don't find it to be very worth it, since it relies on you sticking on spawn. And it can be hard to communicate, "...uh...they're on the left...no wait they just moved...etc." anyways. Using it solo is absolutely useless, as by the time you're off spawn the team's already moved.

Spiral

Inkling
NNID
SpiralViper
For me, probably Special duration, and Bomb range. I use lots of different weapons, so these skills are useless in about half of my loadouts.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
I guess i'm the only dude who thinks damage up is useless (unless you are the 52 gal) it doesn't decrease the amount of shots needed to kill and the only thing it can do is help with team kills and if it's 2v1 it's not going to matter if you are doing slightly more damage because you guys will almost always win, as for the chargers we can no longer half charge kill anymore (as of 2.2) so we don't need it any more (besides if you really want to half charge kill shot him with what ever charge you have then throw a burst bomb), burst bombs is the only place I can sort of think it would be helpful but if you are using burst bombs with any sort of skill 2 (if you hit directly) or 3 ( if you barely missed) so I fail to see the point of

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
I actually think Quick Super Jump is really good on something like the Sploosh or Custom E-Litre. Basically anything with Beakons. I honestly don't like Ninja Squid. I think that if you wanna be sneaky you should playing off the map rather then dedicating a slot to something like that. Most maps have a lot of different flank routes and ways to get to a key point that I find it unnecessary if you are smart about it.

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
I feel like a lot of abilities don't do much unless you stack them to some extent, but agree that :ability_lastditcheffort: is pretty useless. :ability_haunt: is useful in the lower ranks but is severely outclassed by :ability_coldblooded: which takes the same slot. :ability_specialduration: and :ability_bombsniffer: aren't very good either, but at least they have situational use.

I couldn't live without my :ability_runspeed: though, definitely my favorite ability.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
I feel like a lot of abilities don't do much unless you stack them to some extent, but agree that :ability_lastditcheffort: is pretty useless. :ability_haunt: is useful in the lower ranks but is severely outclassed by :ability_coldblooded: which takes the same slot. :ability_specialduration: and :ability_bombsniffer: aren't very good either, but at least they have situational use.

I couldn't live without my :ability_runspeed: though, definitely my favorite ability.
:ability_lastditcheffort: is useful in Turf War since everything tends to come down to the last 30 seconds, but it's pretty worthless in ranked... I mean if the enemy gets a knockout they completely nullify the ability.

:ability_inkresistance: is my favorite ability, it has save my life on several occasions.

:ability_specialduration: is my least favorite since it's worthless on a third the specials (Inkstrike, Killer Wail, Echolocator)

The only :ability_specialduration: gear I have is :head_eye002: :ability_bombrange: : :ability_specialduration: :ability_specialduration: :ability_specialduration: and the only reason I roll it was for the Team Planes Splatfest. Haven't used it since.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I think :ability_specialduration: works best on echo, the amount of time it adds is percentage-based and echo is the longest lasting special, on top of that echo immediately allows you to re-charge your special upon activation. I'd still rather pick Special Charge Up/Special Saver over Duration Up, though.

:ability_quicksuperjump: I'd only pick this one if you have beakons.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Wait... Duration up doesn't work on Wail and Echolocator? Why...? It makes sense for both of them.
It does work on Echolocator, but not the Killer Wail, from what can be discerned.

Spiral

Inkling
NNID
SpiralViper
It does work on Echolocator, but not the Killer Wail, from what can be discerned.
That's good. I've been using it on Echolocator for a while now. It would be pretty dumb if it didn't actually lengthen it after all this time. xD

Technically it lengthens the time you have to set up the Killer Wail, but that's pretty useless.
That's strange... I wonder if that's intended?

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Technically it lengthens the time you have to set up the Killer Wail, but that's pretty useless.
Exactly, with Inkstrike and Killer Wail all you get is more aiming time.

And just think about Echolocator how could Special Duration Up possible have an effect on it? All using the special does is send out the echolocation, which is a static effect.

I actually have video capture now, so I can test out whether any of the three have their effects increased

That's strange... I wonder if that's intended?
I think it is intended. If you look at all of the abilities they are designed to only work well if you know how to use them.

That means that unless you only use one weapon you are going to need multiple sets of gear if you want to make sure no slots get wasted by useless abilities.

Nintendo might have been worried people would find a set of gear they like and never switch if all abilities were viable on every weapon.

So things staaaaay fresh!

Last edited:

Spiral

Inkling
NNID
SpiralViper
I think it is intended. If you look at all of the abilities they are designed to only work well if you know how to use them.

That means that unless you only use one weapon you are going to need multiple sets of gear if you want to make sure no slots get wasted by useless abilities.

Nintendo might have been worried people would find a set of gear they like and never switch if all abilities were viable on every weapon.
I actually never knew the inkstrike or wail had a limited time to aim it. No matter how long I took, I never seemed to need any more than 5 seconds or so.

What you said makes sense. It's just like how bomb range doesn't work with ink mines or splash wall.

EDIT: Also, it makes sense for the echolocator to be extended, because the effect can be shortened by the Cold Blooded ability. I've never tested it, so I don't know if it's just the placebo effect or not. Guess we'll have to see.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I actually never knew the inkstrike or wail had a limited time to aim it. No matter how long I took, I never seemed to need any more than 5 seconds or so.
The time you have to use an Inkstrike or a Killer Wail is extremely long. The only reason you might ever lose it is if you went afk (or afg in the Wii U's case?) or if you got splatted before you used it. Even if you start hesitating you should have more than enough time to make a decision o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom