• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Least Favourite/Most useless skill?

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
You seem to focus too much on your main tank which says a lot about your playstyle. i don't need to say much at this point.
Uhhh, not at all. In my previous post, I said that the benefit of using ink saver main is more efficient when using it with your sub weapon together, than ink recovery is, even though it helps both directly. I.e. the sum of the benefit of ink recovery helping both your main and sub weapons together is less than the benefit of ink recovery main only affecting your main weapon when also using it together. It doesn't say anything about my playstyle, except that I wish to maximize efficiency of both main and sub.

This is key to ink recovery. I can't remember the last time I went from full to empty in a ranked game using only primary weapon. The only time I get close to running out of ink is when subs are used in combat, like splash wall/bombs. You shouldn't be spending that much time in kid form if you don't want to get splat by a charger or other long range weapon. The more time you spend in squid form, the bigger benefit of ink recovery, and it can add up to quite a bit over a 5 minute match.
Indeed the only time I ever run out of ink is when I use my sub weapon in combat, and I nearly always use it in combat. I mainly use the tri-slosher with the disrupter which uses 50% of your ink tank and tried to use a a set full of ink saver subs so that I wouldn't be at such a disadvantage in terms of how much ink I have left to use on my main, but I found out that I only save 25% at most with ink saver sub. So, with ink saver main, the 50% left of your tank is worth more than the 62.5% of your tank (that ink saver sub would give) because it's effectively more ink.

Also you're wrong about ink recovery being more effective the more time you spend in squid form. It's the complete opposite. Ink recovery benefits you most by reducing the amount of time you spend in ink. Consider the fact that you spend a lot of time in squid form, just how much time are you spending in ink when you ink tank is full? If that happens you are wasting the potential of ink recovery up, because it means that with the time you spend in ink with your tank already full, the person without ink recovery would have also recovered his ink to the fullest. He took a longer time, but it didn't make a difference because he wasn't going into kid form any time soon.

Ink Recovery Up exists to reduce squid time for the sake of combat, because the time saved is actually marginal. Yes it's up to 40%, but that's a total of 1.2 seconds, which only makes a difference when you need that small amount of time which is in heated combat. Again, since Ink Saver main gives you 60% more ink, you actually have more ink than with Ink Recovery up even though your tank isn't full with the exception of the use of sub weapons. On every other occasion Ink Saver Main is superior apart from peak-a-boom type sub weapon usage (i.e. use a sub, go in ink, use it again, go back in ink).

This makes me think that Ink Saver Sub might actually be the least useful, unless you are the type to throw a lot of bombs out at once and then go into ink. Ink Saver Sub may need a buff imo.

Last edited:

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
Also you're wrong about ink recovery being more effective the more time you spend in squid form. It's the complete opposite. Ink recovery benefits you most by reducing the amount of time you spend in ink. Consider the fact that you spend a lot of time in squid form, just how much time are you spending in ink when you ink tank is full? If that happens you are wasting the potential of ink recovery up, because it means that with the time you spend in ink with your tank already full, the person without ink recovery would have also recovered his ink to the fullest. He took a longer time, but it didn't make a difference because he wasn't going into kid form any time soon.

Ink Recovery Up exists to reduce squid time for the sake of combat, because the time saved is actually marginal. Yes it's up to 40%, but that's a total of 1.2 seconds, which only makes a difference when you need that small amount of time which is in heated combat. Again, since Ink Saver main gives you 60% more ink, you actually have more ink than with Ink Recovery up even though your tank isn't full with the exception of the use of sub weapons. On every other occasion Ink Saver Main is superior apart from peak-a-boom type sub weapon usage (i.e. use a sub, go in ink, use it again, go back in ink).
Sorry, I wasn't very clear what I meant. You aren't in squid form for long periods of time with a full tank. You are maximizing your use of subs, which is the biggest drain on your ink tank (and I agree, ink saver sub stinks), and dipping into the ink frequently for short periods during and between combat for strategic reasons (faster movement, hiding from enemy, changing positions). By doing this frequently over the entire game, you can recover a lot of ink and abuse sub weapons moreso than with ink saver main.

Different play styles would benefit less from this strategy, but it works for me because I love me some subs.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
Sorry, I wasn't very clear what I meant. You aren't in squid form for long periods of time with a full tank. You are maximizing your use of subs, which is the biggest drain on your ink tank (and I agree, ink saver sub stinks), and dipping into the ink frequently for short periods during and between combat for strategic reasons (faster movement, hiding from enemy, changing positions). By doing this frequently over the entire game, you can recover a lot of ink and abuse sub weapons moreso than with ink saver main.

Different play styles would benefit less from this strategy, but it works for me because I love me some subs.
I agree. Actually, I think this can all be simplified into a mathematical formula to describe when Ink Saver Sub is better than Ink Recovery up and Vice Versa. I think it's an interesting mechanic in this game that the % of your ink tank means completely different things depending on your main and sub usage, and a mix of both

The formula would be based off of your personal sub usage to main usage ratio. Using Ink Saver Main gives me tonnes more ammo with my main weapon, but I lose half of whatever I gain when I throw a disrupter (which uses 50% of the ink tank). Ink Saver Main also gives you more main ink per second when recovering than ink recovery does, but doesn't benefit your sub usage unless you go over that specific ink capacity (for the disrupter, 50%). But If I plan to use my main weapon after the sub weapon which is after reloading, then it depends on how much ink I need left for my main to get the kill (after the sub weapon is used), which is less ink % needed with Ink Saver main, but more Ink % needed with Ink Recovery up, which equates to spending more time in the ink anyway, which is why my former conclusion is that Ink Saver main outranks it.

So now I will say that it depends on the ratio mentioned above. But with all the other abilities out there like defense up, damage up, special charger up, do you go for a balanced ability set with many abilities (3 or more) or do you go for a concentrated set (3 or less)? The reason I ask is because 60% more ink and 40% less time sound great but realistically you're only going to get in the 30%s and 20%s because of the RNG to get them and if you want any other abilities.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Alright... the MOST USELESS ONE GOTTA BE RECON!
That does NOTHING for me. I don't normally go back to the base and stand on there to see where everyone is at. Sure I can see how helpful it could be but- for me, it does NOTHING! Also the run speed up as it does nothing for a brush/rollers. I thought it could made them go a bit faster but apperently it doesn't so... it's 100% useless. Unless you're tellin' me it does affect brushes then please tell me. 'oAo'

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I know I'm gonna get shot down for this, but I don't care for Ink Resistance. I feel literally no tangible difference no matter what I do or use.

Though, Run Speed Up tends to always be a part of my set, so there's that.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Honestly, the only ability in the game I find to be almost outright useless is Last-Ditch Effort. I just don't find Ink Recovery Up and Ink Saver Main only for the last 30 secs of the match useful at all.

Every other skill in game is at least situational for the most part.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
To be honest, I'm surprised of how many people actually find the Last Ditch Effort the worst. I find that a lot better than the damn opening gambit. The opening gambit is something I rather not have. uvu;
Last Ditch actually got me out of many situations. Then again, around 1:00 I begin to panic if the other team seem close to winning.
I just wish I had more gear that look cute with the last ditch, and I would use it more.
Gotta have freshness before going into a battle ya know.

RedVivillon

Inkling
NNID
redx39
Imo I think Opening Gambit is one of the most useless abilities in the game the start of the game doesn't decide the outcome and it's pretty easy to rally up a comeback in the end game. Personally I don't like the super Jump perks I rarely super jump cause it's so risky to jump unless that area you're gonna jump in is covered completely in your ink unless you use Stealth Jump but I personally don't find it useful in my gameplay style.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
To be honest, I'm surprised of how many people actually find the Last Ditch Effort the worst. I find that a lot better than the damn opening gambit. The opening gambit is something I rather not have. uvu;
Last Ditch actually got me out of many situations. Then again, around 1:00 I begin to panic if the other team seem close to winning.
I just wish I had more gear that look cute with the last ditch, and I would use it more.
Gotta have freshness before going into a battle ya know.
I guess that's just me, I never really found Last Ditch Effort to useful... and I don't find Opening Gambit to useful either (even though you can get to the front lines fast in the beginning of the match, but I rather just have swim speed at that point), but I do find some of the Last Ditch Effort gear pretty fresh looking. ;)

Aaryk

Inkling
NNID
Aarykk
I always thought it was universally held that Bomb Sniffer is the most useless ability. Mines are pretty terrible to begin with so barely anyone uses them, and you basically have to be extremely unlucky or extremely unobservant to be splatted by a mine. The Luna Blaster and New Squiffer are nice weapons but not nearly prevalent enough to justify using a Main slot on Bomb Sniffer. Every time I see someone using this ability it baffles me to the point that I question whether I missed a meta shift.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I always thought it was universally held that Bomb Sniffer is the most useless ability. Mines are pretty terrible to begin with so barely anyone uses them, and you basically have to be extremely unlucky or extremely unobservant to be splatted by a mine. The Luna Blaster and New Squiffer are nice weapons but not nearly prevalent enough to justify using a Main slot on Bomb Sniffer. Every time I see someone using this ability it baffles me to the point that I question whether I missed a meta shift.
The Bomb Sniffer ability not only shows were Ink Mines are at, it also shows the location of all the other bomb types as well (not sure if this also counts for Disruptors and Point Sensors).

So it has it's uses, but most prefer other skills over it.

Aaryk

Inkling
NNID
Aarykk
The Bomb Sniffer ability not only shows were Ink Mines are at, it also shows the location of all the other bomb types as well (not sure if this also counts for Disruptors and Point Sensors).

So it has it's uses, but most prefer other skills over it.
Oh, I guess that does make sense. I will still probably never use it at all, but at least it does help in more ways than I was aware. Walking face first into a suction bomb planted around a corner...

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
I like bomb sniffer, myself. While others complain it clouds your screen, I've always enjoyed it's double purpose of showing where inklings are hiding and tossing grenades, along with giving you extra time to get the hell out of the way.

As for useless/disliked skills, I'm going with:ability_tenacity: I don't like that I have a main slot dedicated to the idea that my team is gonna suck. I'd just slap another special boosting skill there instead!

DavAndrus

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dorkdav
Considering both my mains have inkstrike I'm going with Special Duration Up as the most useless skill.

Personally this is why I hate random sub ability system they have in this game. There are too many subs that are render completely useless based on load out(Special Duration Up, Bomb Range Up) and other that are completely useless based on play style. Re-rolling is super expensive and it's too easy to get stuck with abilities that will never benefit you.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
yeah. opening gambit at least gives you, an opening gambit. but 30 seconds before a round ends is usually too late, since the team already made their push at the 1 min mark, and the other'd be losing already.
My sister uses Last-Ditch Effort and seems to make very good use of it. She's incredibly mobile in most stages (with the exceptions of Flounder Heights and Port Mackerel) and has very good aim with long-range weaponry. She uses Last-Ditch Effort to seek out and splat as many opponents as she can--she can usually take out 3 opponents in the last 30 seconds in this way, and this usually sets the opposing team back far enough that her teammates can push and gain a good 15% or so of turf during that time. It helps that she also only uses weapons with Inkstrike.

As for me, I'm not really sure what I'd benefit from the least. I really don't pay too much attention to what abilities I have, as long as they don't conflict too much with what I'm using. (I'd avoid Special Duration Up if I'm using a weapon with Inkstrike, for instance, and no Bomb Range Up when I'm using something with Splash Walls.) That being said, I use bombs so infrequently that I often forget what sub-weapon I'm bringing into battle, so i'd probably benefit from Ink Saver Sub the least.

Scones

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shcones
The most useless skill is definitely Haunt. Under no circumstance is this worth a main skill slot. It is even effected by Cold Blooded, which takes up the same skill slot and is vastly superior. Perhaps if they buffed it by applying both echo and disruptor effects to whoever splats you, but for now it is garbage.
Beyond that, abilities are often dependent on the weapon load out and user play style.
Bomb range up is useless if you aren't packing a bomb or disruptor.
*Edit: Run Speed is is useless for inkbrushes and rollers unless you are on a grate. Never worth it.
Special Duration Up is useless for Inkstrike and Killer Wail
Recon isn't that great either but at least it can tell you whether or not it is safe to super jump to someone.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
The most useless skill is definitely Haunt. Under no circumstance is this worth a main skill slot. It is even effected by Cold Blooded, which takes up the same skill slot and is vastly superior. Perhaps if they buffed it by applying both echo and disruptor effects to whoever splats you, but for now it is garbage.
I will defend Haunt every time it's dismissed.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I find Ninja Squid to be pretty overrated. Being able to swim without the visual effect at the cost of a slower swim speed? No thanks. I would rather not dedicate a Main Swim Speed ability to negate that. Plus that slow swim speed gives Kraken users the upper hand in splatting you.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I find Ninja Squid to be pretty overrated. Being able to swim without the visual effect at the cost of a slower swim speed? No thanks. I would rather not dedicate a Main Swim Speed ability to negate that. Plus that slow swim speed gives Kraken users the upper hand in splatting you.
There's also the fact that despite not having any visual effects while swimming, if the enemy player is using headphones and/or just really aware of the different sound effects ingame the enemy player can still hear you swimming in your ink so some really good players can actually predict where the Ninja Squid user will pop out via audio and then counter attack accordingly.

Of course, not everyone use headphones or are super aware of their surroundings but I'm just saying that this can be another downside to Ninja Squid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom