Mafia 1 | D2

Bruce Squillis

Inkling
I will mention this. I suspect Boss Nova. I'm more interested in his answers than anyone else's. More content will come later.
That sounds only slightly foreboding.

JC, do you read Boss as town or scum? Might as well get multiple reads so we can compare and contrast later.

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
"i'm fine with bossanova". ionly mentioned having reads for you and jexs

Bruce Squillis

Inkling
Ok. I'm fine with him too, but that could imply a lot of things...
I guess I'll touch base on the subject later.

JeXs

Inkling
If I'm right, I'm being scum read for having no scum reads and having lots of non content posts?

The first one I can't help it, I personally didn't find anything scummy through the duration of the game, which is why I said I would do a reread, which I will later when I'm not as tired. As for me not wanting to lynch squid master before he responded, I figured it was a joke as soon as I saw it, it's too obvious of a contradiction that I think even a newer player would notice and not do it. Even the way it came off looked like a joke.

I have lots of posts without content because that's just me as a person, I just really like to talk haha. I know it seems like a really weak defense but that's what it is. It's my personality!

Bruce Squillis

Inkling
Would you consider yourself an aggressive mafia player? Or a passive one?
Is it dependant on your alignment/role?

I'll get to your post in a moment, but I wanted to get this question out of the way.

Bruce Squillis

Inkling
If I'm right, I'm being scum read for having no scum reads and having lots of non content posts?

The first one I can't help it, I personally didn't find anything scummy through the duration of the game, which is why I said I would do a reread, which I will later when I'm not as tired. As for me not wanting to lynch squid master before he responded, I figured it was a joke as soon as I saw it, it's too obvious of a contradiction that I think even a newer player would notice and not do it. Even the way it came off looked like a joke.

I have lots of posts without content because that's just me as a person, I just really like to talk haha. I know it seems like a really weak defense but that's what it is. It's my personality!
Your lack of reads makes up the majority of my concern. Mostly because you lumped just about everyone into the town pile earlier without really posting anything to justify doing so.
Squid Master is null, everyone else I'm leaning town at the very least, with African American being my weakest one. I'm not counting magi in the current posters, but he's null for me too.
Minus your interactions with Coco, and possibly me, I'm unsure how you came to this conclusion of almost all active posters being a town-lean. There was no build up with many of those people, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but your town lean wasn't really supported by anything you said.
You also brought up the possibility of the former inactives being the scum/ wanting to vote the inactives as a default lynch, but that'd waaayyy to easy, (though it is technically plausible they are the scum, it would have been shooting in the dark). It seemed to me that you were almost subverting a reason to find scumreads by leaving your reads up to possibilities such as this one. I'm not too keen on people who are excusing themselves from finding scum, as it appears you are doing this.
I hope you do begin scumhunting, because my original point was that whenever you enter the thread, you don't do much.

Is it still true that you read African American as null? You mentioned earlier you couldn't make a clear read on him until later in the game. Why not begin there? Why not pester him with questions to discern a clear read of him early on? It's really up to you whether or not you can make a clear read on someone. I can't help you there, and who's to say how the events of the game will aid in your personal read?

The squidmaster thing ended up being a joke, but for some time I thought it wasn't. Chalk it up to Brits n' their crazy time-zones making me think his vote was stationary. The fact that you pointed out the contradiction almost led me to believe you took it seriously as well. I guess not.

Filler posts are just jank. I'd rather see half your posts linked to actual content rather than them just being one-liners. Again, tying into my concerns for you not posting actual content, and skimming by on fluff.

The questions I have now are: Do you have any scumreads, and will you vote the person you deem the scummiest?

Bruce Squillis

Inkling
On a side note, where is African American? I saw him get on at least twice within the past couple hours, but he hasn't said anything...

JeXs

Inkling
Yeah... I didn't have any scum reads because I didn't find anything scummy, the same could be same for the most of us. Yourself included. I feel like you haven't been reading my posts. I don't read African American as null, I have him as a town lean, I stated that earlier. It's not a strong read because I'm not confident in it. I don't know how you didn't think Squid Master's vote was a joke. The contradiction was so obvious, it would have been really silly to think that he made that vote seriously and then say in the next 2 posts that random voting is a good thing. Yeah, posting fluff about the game is part of my personality, I said that, if you want to scum read me for my personality, that's fine, but I'll just keep saying that it's my personality, I'm just a very talkative person in general. I tend to lose interest if I'm not constantly in thread and interacting with other players.
The reason I asked this was to lead into this question:

How would you judge your performance in this game so far?
I'm not a good judge of my performance but it's probably an average game at best for me.

JeXs

Inkling
Tentative reads

Town: jC, Margi, xCoCo
Null: African, Squillus
Null scum: Squid
Scum: JeXs

Anyone I'm missing?
You literally just said there's plenty of content for me to have a scum read on, and your only scum is Squid Master and myself. I already explained why I wasn't scum reading Squid Master and I'm obviously not going to scum read myself.

Bruce Squillis

Inkling
Yeah... I didn't have any scum reads because I didn't find anything scummy, the same could be same for the most of us. Yourself included. I feel like you haven't been reading my posts. I don't read African American as null, I have him as a town lean, I stated that earlier. It's not a strong read because I'm not confident in it. I don't know how you didn't think Squid Master's vote was a joke. The contradiction was so obvious, it would have been really silly to think that he made that vote seriously and then say in the next 2 posts that random voting is a good thing. Yeah, posting fluff about the game is part of my personality, I said that, if you want to scum read me for my personality, that's fine, but I'll just keep saying that it's my personality, I'm just a very talkative person in general. I tend to lose interest if I'm not constantly in thread and interacting with other players.

I'm not a good judge of my performance but it's probably an average game at best for me.
The thing is, I'm actually pursuing the people I'm viewing as scummy atm, barely anyone else has done that. I've been reading your posts, there's no question in that. I viewed your leaning-town read on African American as null, mostly because you didn't support it with anything, and your explanation of why you couldn't develop it was less than satisfactory. For instance, what lead you to read him as "lean-town" in the first place? Are there any specific posts that have furthered this read?

If lack of scumhunting and posting random tidbits is part of your personality, then I'm afraid there's an issue there which I'm about to clear up. I'm not accusing you for what your personality is, nor am I trying to call you scum for showing this "personality" in the thread. What I am doing is basing my scum read off of what you have presented in your posts within the thread, and what you've presented in the thread has been primarily fluff. I'm not sure how posts lacking constructive content is related to your personality, but I read people based off what I see in the game. I do not read them on a personal level, which you are claiming I am. If you are a talkative person, which I can see you are, then please let it be for the benefit and construction of the game.

JeXs

Inkling
I don't know why you don't think that my explanation of why my read on him not being strong isn't satisfactory. I already explained that. I town lean him because of the general tone in his posts and the perspectives he offered.

Can you rephrase that 2nd paragraph? I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say. From what I understand, you're scum reading me because of my posts that don't say much content wise, without taking into account my personality, which is a big part of why I post how I post. If you're looking for proactive content on my part, it's usually rare for me to do so until I find something that catches my eye.

JeXs

Inkling
EBWOP:
I don't know why you think that my explanation of my read on him not being strong isn't satisfactory.

It looked really weird the way I phrased it initially lol

Bruce Squillis

Inkling
I'm a little too tired to continue this convo right now, since you're on my reciprocal time-zone. Maybe in the morning...
Goodnight

YOLOSWAG

Inkling
Votecount
Bossanova (1): Squid Master
JeXs (1): Bruce Squillis

Not Voting (7): Bossanova, Marigi, Drez, xCoco, JeXs, African American, h.JC

deadline is 11:59pm est june 17

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
My initial scum read is H.jc. After reading over these posts, I get that he is active, but also stubborn. I get that he is trying to force people into reads by saying that they should play in a certain way, and not actually trying to read them. He also seems to for no reason target Jexs over Bruce for giving advice. This is opportunistic at best. His read on me is robotic, as if the result was pre-determined from the start. I will explain this later on with a quote. He is active, along with others, but is active scum, who isn't trying to read people, but paint people as scum that he chooses, for no reason. (Jex)

JC what's you read on Jexs? More or less, what do you think about his reads?
I don't like the lack of reasoning he provided, and I'm also concerned that he's giving everyone a pass towards town/null. There's a possibility that he's trying to be active without actually contributing anything. I don't like Post 196 because it seems passive--"we'll end up with an inactive lynch" ignores his ability to try and influence it otherwise. Looking back, I'm having trouble finding posts where he actually gives thoughts about this specific game.
Here, Bruce Squenner never gave a read before asking about Jex, and then made a push on him. Yet H.jc never actually considered this as a possible avenue to consider. He does FOS Bruce, but for a different reason. I get that he's not really trying to find scum, only trying to make people seem scummy.

I don't like RVS.
He refuses to participate in RVS, and uses a bogus reason to justify doing so. I do not find his abstaining from rvs suspicious (it's anti-town, and it definitely helped in letting the town lurk and not do anything), but I find his reason for justifying it suspicious, because he uses that manner of thinking to scumread everyone who he is scumreading. I will highlight it.

Dartboards are just "eh" to me. Doing things "randomly" definitely benefits the mafia due to their information advantage, from my perspective. I'd rather talk about something else, such as previous experience with the game or even just some "hello" posts to get people started. I figure we also have some newer players here, so getting random votes piled on before they've even done anything could confuse them or discourage them from playing.
Here he states doing things benefit the mafia, yet no talking and no reactions in RVS actually help the mafia. People begin to wonder who is scum, and have less scum reads than town reads, and then others rag on them for not having any, when we had a weak rvs/early game. He stubbornly tries to force rvs as a way to benefit scum for his own selfish agenda.

throwing out the weakest of fos's on this. seems to be trying really hard hard to appear helpful without actually offering anything. however, we have about a page of people offering advice, which is why it isn't that strong at all. i'm not sure what about this post is setting me off compared to the rest he and bruce are posting.
As I said, this is opportunistic because he has no good reason to choose Jexs over Bruce here. Let's get it straight here, Bruce and him have been doing alot of that, but alot more of the thread publicly considered Bruce as town, so it would be easier to push Jexs. That is the most likely option I would think he as scum would be considered Jex, but regardless, it is suspicious that he handpicks Jexs for no reason to push.

##vote xCoCo

The town reads seem to be coming from "hi guys i'm new", but Coco is supposed to have experience from EpicMafia. If anyone's played mafia before, they should know that Mafia does in fact kill people during the night. The suggestion of no lynch also raises a flag, but I do know of other communities that play this way. There's also the "haha maybe i'm town maybe i'm not spooky!" comment, which i feel should be discouraged.
Here in the red, remember that thing I said about him forcing his own theory onto others to satisfy his selfish agenda? He states that Coco "should know that Mafia does in fact kill people during the night." to paint Coco as scummy, when it isn't something suspicious. He is just trying to spin it, when every person is a different case and different kind of player.

Assuming that's right, I would say that it isn't actually based on SM's alignment. It's the action of going "yeah me too"/blending in that's scummy, not trying to secure a mislynch on somebody.

##unvote
Here, I don't understand why he backs down from his push. He had no reason to, because African came up with an explanation that deals with them being SvS, not SvT. He thought from a different perspective, but African's pov did not quell his own suspicions. This seems more like backing down because he does not want to step on any toes, instead of push anyway. @h.JC: Why did you unvote here?

does that count as omgus
Here he seems eager to jump back onto Coco, even though he dropped his push on Coco for no (apparent) reason.

Holy questions Batman. Drez, would you like to contribute any of your own thoughts to the game on top of that?
Here, he is robotically, reacting to me coming into the game. "If A asks questions, then they must be scum" without reading into why I'm asking these questions. I was not derailing the thread, and neither was I adding fluff, I was getting content, to solve my concerns. Bruce came through, and I generally liked him through it.

I also try to look out for people derailing the thread or asking too many questions instead of contributing.
This is what I was referring to as robitic, and what would lead to an obvious and pre-determined answer. This is also another one of those things where he tries to force theory for his selfish agenda. As if expecting a person should play in a certain way (Coco) to fit his check-list, without actually thinking about the content they post.

... HOS drez

I don't believe that Drez can have no opinions without people answering all of the questions first. There is definitely enough content in here to make some iniital thoughts. Bossanova clearly demonstrated this.

It seems like Drez is trying to see what everyone thinks of everyone else before giving any information. This is a move that benefits scum, as it allows for them to strategize and find popular mislynch targets without committing.
Finally, I tell him that I'd deliver once people answer my questions, as there is little content to really find scum. Actual scum, not mislynches. His reaction was stubborn, and not one of actually considering my alignment. He stood his ground, which scum sometimes do to seem determined, but they forget to try to actually consider people's defenses. For example, Bruce shows this when responding to H.jc's explanation of his Jex scumread, giving a devil's advocate, "Maybe he's just blind." but H.jc rejects it, stubborn as ever.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
Let me start this post with announcing my mafia background. Name's Ranmaru, and I know some of these guys posting. Especially Bossanova. I can read him well, usually. It's too bad I replaced in while he lurks, while others are being **** on. I find his reads to be weak, and he doesn't actively do anything about them. Any inactive has NO excuse of not posting, in a 3 day cycle. No mercy. We are inhabitated by others who lurk as well, but it hurts our chances if we simply deny the opportunity of lynching a very inactive poster, especially one who has given enough content to read by. We lynch scum, whether active or inactive. It is also better to lynch one who is inactive and suspicious, as we know they won't contribute much to the game state, within 3 days. Boss is my weaker read, as he is less active than most.

Boss's reads consist using words like "I really dislike" and "it has me feeling" but has no words that show why they are scum. Take a look at this quote:

@JeXs #104 Really? You think all scum is just lurking? I don't think that's a good assumption. You didn't suspect Squid for his #63 like I initially thought you did because you questioned it?
Look at the red. He attempts to paint him in a negative light, when it may very well be true. Most of the town is lurking, and some people were having town reads or no reads at all. This isn't a good read to have Jexs as scum, nor is the blue in this quote. He is simply trying to smear him, with something he 'thinks' he should do.

Really wishing bruce would do more besides look pretty and talk. Really want to see him get his feet wet. My town-read is starting to diminish from earlier unless he picks it up.
Here, he feels the same way with Bruce, but keeps him from an arm's distance. He is no different from Jex, but Boss has simply targeted him over Bruce. This is opportunistic, and a trait of scum.

JeXs, I really don't know why you don't have a scum-read just yet. I think there's been plenty content to pursue so no idea why you're sitting on your thumbs.
It just seems so malicious, to state he doesn't know why he doesn't have a scumread yet, in a town that isn't really generating anything very suspicious, especially with Boss nova being as inactive as he was.

h.Jc's post about him being town is null-scum to me. Really don't like when players state things ilke that as it comes off as an appeal and is for the most part useless.

h.Jc feeling weird to me also. Don't like the side comments that don't lead to anything, makes me feel like he's just trying to fit in. Don't know if h.Jc and Squid could both be scum though because I don't think mafia would interact in such a way that they did in #42.

Like h.Jc's initiave to throw a FoS out finally like in #98. Kinda like his direction but not really all that much. I like the initiative at the least. I believe that's the first time someone actually FoS'ed someone so far, unless I missed people actually doing more besides stating the obvious.

Town-read h.JC for his #109 even if I don't agree. Very risky for him to question XCoCo like that whom was being town-read by the majority of posters. It's such a risk that I don't feel scum would make but instead just go with the flow. I don't think I agree though and I'm rpetty sure xCoCo is being genuine.

Still really liking Jc.
I think this does not fit into a solid town read. I get that he sees some actual scum tells from H.jc, but doesn't actually factor them into his read on him, and only lets his pushes that he agrees with do. (Which aren't good pushes at all) It's just like him having things that fit African and Bruce into a town lean but leave them as null, which shows that he is shoving them in pre-determined lists of scum, not him actually gleaning reads from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom