Miscellaneous Hopes for Splatoon 4 - Let it Begin

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Mainsteam content updates are officially over, which means we can now officially come up with hopes for the next game.
Here's my list of minor, miscellaneous changes I want to see as of now:
  • Left and Right D-Pad signals that call to retreat or warn teammates of danger.
  • A button to watch the news while you're in the lobby (if you know, you know).
  • Sub Resistance Up and Respawn Punisher both removed.
    • Haunt rebalanced to give players a temporary ability boost after splatting a target.
  • Brush class reworked to have smaller AoE or more AoE damage falloff.
  • Fixed Grizzco Point Badge progression so it doesn't jump from one hundred thousand straight to ten million.
  • New update cycle, or we get new kits and balance patches on a monthly basis.
  • More stuff to do in the hub city. Even something as small as scavenger hunts during splatfests.
  • The ability to trade two of any ability chunk for one different ability chunk.
  • Increased potency for Drink Tickets; you should have a 50% chance of rolling the drink's ability, or higher.
  • A weaker version of Stealth Jump is active by default, without any gear.
    • The ability still exists, it just decreases the detection radius.
  • Enemy ink is weaker; dealing 30 maximum damage, slowing 20% less, and only having any impact after 15 frames.
  • Stages no longer have unnecessary routes into each team's base in Turf War and Splat Zones.
    • Such routes will be replaced by defensive sponges.

Feel free to share your own hopes below.
Have a wonderful day!

vamp1rebees

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4398-1560-3805
some things i've wanted (or would be neat):
-more options for pants or have a store available for pants (i rlly want more than just basic plain colors or designs) and some other customization like face/tentacle piercings or something.....
-ik we got lockers but in my heart i'll still always yearn for apartments. maybe we could invite friends to it or have like animal jam mechanics or something, or buy vinyl/cds and play them in our apartment like in ac, etc
-maybe make better use of the phones? like you can choose between the smartphone or flipphone and have mini games on them or use them to invite friends to lobbies/join lobbies
-have more mini games or bring back old games like the rhythm game in splat2 (and not have them be online based bc why do i have to be online for some features of solo tableturf.)
-bring back agent 4:(

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
  • More stuff to do in the hub city. Even something as small as scavenger hunts during splatfests.
wait i never thought about this before but this sounds so fun. i want to do hub world scavenger hunts. in general the hub worlds are nice to look at and do a lot for environmental storytelling but especially one as big as splatsville could probably benefit from a few extra things to interact with, even if it's not full side modes/minigames, if done well

seconding @vamp1rebees too on more customization! i like my torn leggings but more options are always nice. something like tennis/skater skirts would be a fun addition that'd fit with the feel of the other customization options (as well as please the "splatoon clothing is too masculine" camp, maybe). also every day i wonder about those scrapped freckles/scars.

anyway i may be back with more but my One Thing is - i've said this before but i want to be able to watch the news but have it auto-progress through dialogue. i think the news is cute and i want to watch it while doing hand stretches, but i can't really do that, because i have to stop to press A all the time 😭 so i end up skipping it most of the time even though i do want to see it

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
Mainsteam content updates are officially over, which means we can now officially come up with hopes for the next game.
Here's my list of minor, miscellaneous changes I want to see as of now:
  • Left and Right D-Pad signals that call to retreat or warn teammates of danger.
  • A button to watch the news while you're in the lobby (if you know, you know).
  • Sub Resistance Up and Respawn Punisher both removed.
    • Haunt rebalanced to give players a temporary ability boost after splatting a target.
  • Brush class reworked to have smaller AoE or more AoE damage falloff.
  • Fixed Grizzco Point Badge progression so it doesn't jump from one hundred thousand straight to ten million.
  • New update cycle, or we get new kits and balance patches on a monthly basis.
  • The ability to trade two of any ability chunk for one different ability chunk.
  • Increased potency for Drink Tickets; you should have a 50% chance of rolling the drink's ability, or higher.
  • A weaker version of Stealth Jump is active by default, without any gear.
    • The ability still exists, it just decreases the detection radius.
  • Enemy ink is weaker; dealing 30 maximum damage, slowing 20% less, and only having any impact after 15 frames.
  • Stages no longer have unnecessary routes into each team's base in Turf War and Splat Zones.
    • Such routes will be replaced by defensive sponges.

Feel free to share your own hopes below.
Have a wonderful day!
everything except enemy ink is really good! these are the best takes you've ever made.

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
-bring back agent 4:(
actually im gonna piggyback off this too and theorize ways agent 4 could come back if s3 is really the end of the new squidbeak splatoon trilogy (count this as s4 hopes from me because i agree that agent 4 coming back would be neat):
  • “end of the NSBS trilogy” means we’re not getting more of the whole splatoon, but here we get an offshoot of the NSBS led by deep cut + agent 4, for some reason?
  • “end of the trilogy” means we’re done seeing the NSBS as protagonists. final boss agent 4 (perpendicular canon) (no).
  • past win archaeology story mode theory comes true, agent 4 is revealed to be an archaeology student (this ruins my already highly canon divergent agent oc lore but that’s okay.)
  • agent 4 idol era
  • agent 4 still doesn’t physically appear, but they’re a very persistent narrative ghost in the story mode. i don’t think nintendo would literally kill off an agent so they’re not a literal ghost, just a narrative ghost

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
please let me add/move targets in the lobby. let me place targets in recon mode. let me clean up ink in recon/reset the game points without having to leave the whole thing and come back. Just let me better develop customizable practice situations for myself without having to bother people just to follow me around and be training dummies aaaaaaaaaaaa I know this is unlikely but I really want it :C

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Rework the kit system. I'm not gonna be picky about what they replace it with, but what we have now needs to go. It was fine when there were fewer main/subs/specials to begin with, but now there are so many permutations that aren't covered, and only two kits per main weapon resulted in a lot of weapons getting screwed because they lost the lottery.

Don't bring back Tacticooler, if for no other reason than to set S4's meta apart and keep it from being Splatoon 3.5.

Cut back to two ranked queues, Solo and Team. Use Glicko-2 right up front instead of these terribly inaccurate letter grades. I think that X being split off and thus fragmenting the queue population is a large part of why S3's matchmaking feels so bad.

Stop doing that thing where they take away Ranked for a weekend every month.

Last edited:

TOD13

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
i prefer the way idol performances worked in Grand Fest. having "live" in-game performances gives a lot more room to mess around with the structure of Splatfest music instead of just having the song loop over and over. i would like it if the new idols in S4 had 2 songs each they performed on 3 different stages during the first half of Splatfests, and then they'd perform 3 different songs together on one big stage during the second half.

i want the Cuttlefish species (or Cuttlelings?) to get more lore. bonus points if we get a Cuttleling idol.

let Iso Padre be the new Spyke/Merch!

i want the Deep Sea Metro people to show up in the hub area, mostly because i really like their designs.

(of course, all of this is assuming we even get a Splatoon 4...)

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Make the combo hit of all bombs do variable damage based on distance (something like 20 min and 35 max instead of always 30) and the first few AP of sub resistance are weaker. Now instead of deleting 2 million combos, one sub of sub resist just makes them slightly harder to hit. Another sub makes them slightly more harder to hit, etc.
Or just delete it. That works too.

anyway i may be back with more but my One Thing is - i've said this before but i want to be able to watch the news but have it auto-progress through dialogue. i think the news is cute and i want to watch it while doing hand stretches, but i can't really do that, because i have to stop to press A all the time 😭 so i end up skipping it most of the time even though i do want to see it
This is a very good idea and I will now be pressing A with my foot.

vamp1rebees

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4398-1560-3805
actually im gonna piggyback off this too and theorize ways agent 4 could come back if s3 is really the end of the new squidbeak splatoon trilogy (count this as s4 hopes from me because i agree that agent 4 coming back would be neat):
  • “end of the NSBS trilogy” means we’re not getting more of the whole splatoon, but here we get an offshoot of the NSBS led by deep cut + agent 4, for some reason?
  • “end of the trilogy” means we’re done seeing the NSBS as protagonists. final boss agent 4 (perpendicular canon) (no).
  • past win archaeology story mode theory comes true, agent 4 is revealed to be an archaeology student (this ruins my already highly canon divergent agent oc lore but that’s okay.)
  • agent 4 idol era
  • agent 4 still doesn’t physically appear, but they’re a very persistent narrative ghost in the story mode. i don’t think nintendo would literally kill off an agent so they’re not a literal ghost, just a narrative ghost
i'm desperate for any agent 4 in the wild sightings i'd take any of this
it'd be kind of funny to see agent 4 become an idol after being such an awkward and uncultured protag

vamp1rebees

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4398-1560-3805
i want the Cuttlefish species (or Cuttlelings?) to get more lore. bonus points if we get a Cuttleling idol.

let Iso Padre be the new Spyke/Merch!

i want the Deep Sea Metro people to show up in the hub area, mostly because i really like their designs.

(of course, all of this is assuming we even get a Splatoon 4...)
AAAAAA DEEP SEA METRO I RLLY WANNA GO BACK AAJBKJBFKDKVHFV
ISO PADRE AND CUTTLELINGS BASED TAKES 🙏

neonscreenlight

Inkling Cadet
- more options for curly hair. please.
- also the coloured fingertips
- make sea anemones a more prominent species they're so cool...
- bring back two-sided splatfests
- bring back league battles
- add the option to play any song you want during battles. even the ones that are wildly inappropriate as battle themes.
- a way of getting gear chunks that isn't completely random (I HATE GACHA I HATE LOOT BOXES I HATE RNG RAHHHH)

Yeenom

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
Instead of just extra dpad commands, I wish we had a ring of commands to pick from when you hit any direction. Maybe something like "Push!" "Fall back!" "Someone in the middle!" "Someone on the right/left!" "Focus on the Zone/Tower!" "Focus on the enemy team!" "Just a little more!" "We're losing turf!" "I need help!" "I got a Beakon here!". You can press the d-pad in any direction and use the left stick (The camera is locked when it's open) to select your choice. If Nintendo isn't going to implement voice chat, we should at least have some extra form of communication, especially in X-Battles or Salmon Run.

I definitely want some drastic reworks to Splatfests. These stages and rulesets will never be played competitively so why hold it to that standard? Just go crazy with everything. Stages with grind rails, gushers, Squee-Gs. Maybe in some battles, both teams get crazy buffs like 2x movement speed or shot spread.

I want 2's indicators for when teammates use specials back, I have no idea why they were removed. I just want 1 and 2's styles back honestly, 3 removed so much personality from the UI and polished details that were purposefully rough.

I want more NPC species variety, they just kinda spammed jellyfish everywhere and called it a day in 3. I want to see the guys from the Deep Sea Metro, I want NPCs with some actual designs that feel unique. Hopefully with 4 being on the Switch 2, this is doable now.

I think some sort of "calibration" for camera controls would be nice. Maybe you can do a runthrough of a little area and the game will gauge what setting work best for you and gives you a recommendation. You're just kinda thrown sensitivity options and have to do trial and error until you find something you like.

I wish there were general training areas for each weapon type. I guess story mode kind of gives you a feel for everything but I'd like a little personalized area to help you learn each weapon type, maybe when you get to the end you unlock the "base" weapon for free or get a free weapon voucher. Splatoon 1 gave you a little summary of each weapon in the training area (I mean a deeper look than Sheldon's unskippable rants) and I have no idea why it didn't return with 2.

I want challenges to return and I want them to be always available. It's stupid they're timegated and only happen every so often. I want a dedicated challenge queue that switches out throughout the day, we can start with some from 3 and then have new original challenges added throughout updates.

GIVE US A SHOP TO BUY CHUNKS.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I feel like they could give the L bumper some form of functionality in battles. I've heard the idea of Tacticooler being replaced by a meter the player charges over the course of the match, perhaps L could trigger the boost. Or if they add battle drones to multiplayer, L could trigger a drone special ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom