1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

    Join us on Discord!

  3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

    You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

  4. Hi Guest,

    As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

-Missing- IC Thread: RP Cast Filled

Discussion in 'RP Square' started by ReedRGale, Jul 18, 2015.

  1. ReedRGale

    ReedRGale Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    234
    @Aykorn
    Wade ==> Talk to Him

    "Can you hear me?" Wade asked, as his mouth quickly filled with liquid.
    The words drowned out as his vision filled with the blackness again.

    Not
    real. He knew that now.

    He could still see
    his mirror in his hand and, if he focused, he could return to…

    His house again, still in the past. But now he was right at the door and he knew that it didn’t lead outside this time. But it was precisely because of that that he opened it.

    This was an unfamiliar house. Poorly lit hallways. A clean living room with two parents babbling about… something. Their son? Worry? Definitely worry. They worried as they watched nightly television. Some news channel with a peppy Inkling feeding out riling words.

    No interest in reality or truth.

    ...


    That… wasn’t Wade’s narrative. Those weren’t his thoughts. This wasn't made from his memories. If it wasn't his then was this Jax’s?

    And that room down the poorly lit hallway… that was Jax’s wasn’t it?

    Wade tried to call out to the parents and ask, but it felt like
    he was speaking underink. Sound came out, but it just didn’t travel right.

    Would he even be able to say anything to him?

    Well… he had to try.

    Wade walked up to the door he felt Jax in and knocked. “
    Yes?

    Wade meant to say something about Jax’s state. Meant to say something about the tunnel and the ooze and Max and getting out of here and--

    Honey,” a female voice asked, soothingly. “Why not come out here? You’ve been cooped up in your room for days.

    Mom,” a familiar voice returned, “I’m fine. I’ve just got a bit more until this article is complete.

    There’s more to life than--

    What do you know?” The voice Wade remembered as calm and collected, for once--and so rapidly--filled with malice and ire. “You and dad. You’re both happy with how things are. The world is wrong mom!

    Jax dear, I…” Wade took a deep breath. “What do you think you’ll even be able to change?

    Well… if people know, then they’ll do something about it! They have to.

    Dear, people don’t just act because they know something. Most will just ignore it and go about their lives.

    Like you?” Venom lashed out from behind the door. Wade was hurt in the way only a parent could be about a son who was just like themselves when they were younger.

    I--

    The narrative ended there. What was supposed to happen was the mom would walk away. Probably crying. Jax never knew for sure.

    Something was wrong. This was where fact ended. Wade could feel something was amiss. Jax was twisting things in his own head.

    I know how to be happy at least.” The tone change was jarring. “You know that people won’t change and you keep acting. The world you want can’t exist.

    You don’t know that!” The real Jax. Talking to a memory.

    I do, honey. I tried, dear. In the end, protesting and rallying doesn’t change anything. The underlying problem is--

    Stop!

    --is people don’t care as long as they get to keep living their lives. There is no happy ending for you. All you’re doing, playing around as an Agent, dinking around as a detective, pretending to be a security guard as a janitor… you’re just delaying what peoples’ nature is causing.

    Shut up!

    People aren’t worth it. Just give up. Be happy.

    No! I won’t! I'll fight. I… it’s not worth it to just be happy! I can’t let things end that way. Never. No!

    Wade struggled.
    This was not his narrative. He had no place to be here but… he was here. He had to try to say something right? And to stop parroting these self-destructive thoughts. Right?

    He could do something… right?

    Wade pushed to stop lipping words that weren’t his own.
    The liquid stifling his words was thick, like caramel flowing down his throat. Could he cough it all up? Could he speak? He had to, he had to, he had to!

    He had to fight. He will fight.

    > Struggle (Savvy + Athletics)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 7
    > Successes: 1


    It took all his might and effort but
    some of whatever it was came up. The hateful words of Jax’s pseudo-mom stopped, if briefly.

    But he only had a moment before
    it came back. He knew that he could only control his words for a moment. Maybe a few sentences.

    Wh-what do you do?

    @Hesoca
    Max ==> Resist

    Fight. Resist. Stop. Give up.

    Different commands wrestled through his head and body as he tried to figure out what to do. The darkness was closing… no, no it was the
    miasma. That was the mirror’s fault.

    But it wasn’t--

    But it was!

    It had to be! There was no other explanation. There couldn’t be. This darkness, the stifling hall, the mirror. The mirror was the only thing that stuck. The mirror had to be taunting him.

    Okay.

    Well then.

    He’ll show it.

    He couldn’t--

    He would!

    Max stopped pulling at his tentacles and began to punch the mirror again. It was impossibly hard and he could feel it against the ground, bouncing as force traveled through its reflective surface.

    Occasionally he struck straight into the
    solid earth… earth? This wasn’t soil this was--

    Miasma. Obviously.

    Max continued punching the mirror until the sound changed. His strikes went from a dull reverberating sound to a clanging cacaphony of metal on glass.


    What caused--

    No. The punches were stronger and that’s all that mattered.

    Max continued pummeling this mirror into the ground. Over and over and over and over and over and…

    > Attacking the Mirror (Athletics + Dexterity)
    > Modifiers: Rage (+3), ??? (+2),
    > Base Pool: 12 ==> Dice Pool: 17
    > Successes: 12 - 100 ==> -88


    Another. And another. And. Another. And. another and another and and


    Max was tired now. If this had been anything else... anyone else... they would have been a stain on the inking floor! But...

    There had been no shattering sound. The mirror was still there. Even in the dark, somehow, he could see the crying face. Even here,
    this plain mirror stood its ground. The miasma surrounding Max continued to close in.

    He fell over.

    Dammit.


    If not the mirror… then at least this darkness. Something. Some way to fight back.

    Something...

    > Fight the Miasma (Savvy + Charisma)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 6
    > Successes: 2


    Gently, Max could feel the miasma press back a little. He’d just willed it, begged it, and it pressed back. The mirror was still there, but now Max could feel the pressure ease, if just a tiny bit.

    Whatever he had done had created a metaphorical bubble of safety with him at the center. No… it was literally a bubble. To protect against the enclosing darkness there was now a sphere of… well something around him. And somehow he knew
    he’d made it.

    Hah.

    He was tired.
    The mirror looked at him with weepy eyes.

    Still wanna struggle?
     
    Yin_, Aykorn and Hesoca like this.
  2. ReedRGale

    ReedRGale Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    234
    @Banshee

    Talk ==> The Word

    "Uh...?" Alga responded.

    "
    ¿ʇɐɥM" the Word asked.

    Her mouth quirked and she took another second before gesturing a bit vaguely in the mirror's direction. "
    Why are you, uh...in the fridge...?"

    The Word shrugged. "
    ˙lɐᴉʇuǝnbǝsuoɔuᴉ sɐʍ ʇou ɹo ǝɔᴉʌǝp ƃuᴉlooɔ sᴉɥʇ sɐʍ ʇᴉ ɹǝɥʇǝɥM ˙ǝpᴉs ɹnoʎ ǝʌɐǝl ɹǝʌǝu uɐɔ ʇI ˙noʎ sᴉ ɹoɹɹᴉɯ sᴉɥ┴"

    "
    It's...me?" Alga stared. She'd heard the phrase from the Word several times before, but she had always attributed its meaning to something a lot more cryptic. The fact that it also seemed to be going for as literal as possible was...unexpected. And kind of ridiculous, thinking about it.

    "
    ...I guess."

    She sighed and reached in to grab the handle, holding it between the fingers of one hand while her other got out some cheese and yogurt, the beginnings of her meal for the night. It was quick work to procure the bread, and soon she was at the counter, fixing up a late-night meal and feeling uncertain of what to say.

    It didn't take long for the uncertainty to flee with a chance look behind her and a reminder of just what the squid was hanging out right above her table.

    "
    What...is that thing...?"

    The Word looked out the mirror to the hole in space. Then, surprised for the first time its shakey hand marred its perfect handwriting. "
    ˙ǝɯoɔ ʎǝɥ┴ ˙olᴉɥᴉN xƎ"

    The reflection turned from
    the hole in reality, out of Alga's vision. She seemed to be checking the place within the mirror, but came back looking relieved.

    "
    ¿ǝɹoɯ ǝɹǝɥʇ ǝɹ∀"

    The simple fact that they seemed to be faltering at the sight sent a pang of unease through Alga's gut, and her mind turned the words over with growing trepidation.

    They come...

    "I...I don't know. I-I haven't been anywhere else in the house yet..." A moment's pause, and then, quietly, "Sh-Should I check...?"

    "
    ˙sǝ⅄"

    The Word was breathing deeply and closed its eyes. It seemed to be trying to calm itself down... and succeeding.

    "
    ˙ʍouʞ oʇ pǝǝu ʇsnɾ I ˙ɥƃnoɥʇ ʎʇᴉlᴉqᴉsuodsǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇ,usᴉ sᴉɥ┴"

    Where
    the Word seemed to be relaxing, Alga only felt the exact opposite, the same feeling she'd gotten from the mirror's discovery creeping back up on her with a vengeance. It would have been so much easier if this were daytime...

    "
    ...I-It's okay. What...is it anyway?" This question she asked as she drew away from her half prepared meal, holding the mirror close while she made her way to the living room.

    "
    ˙˙˙sʇI" The Word began, thinking. "˙ɹǝǝS 'ǝǝS uɐɔ noʎ ʇnq 'sǝʌlǝsɯǝɥʇ ʍoɥs ʇ,uplnoʍ ǝsǝɥʇ ʎllɐɯɹoN ˙ƃuᴉɥʇoN ɟo ʇɐɥʇ sᴉ ʎʇᴉuᴉɟɟɐ sʇᴉ 'ɹǝʌǝʍoɥ 'ʇsǝɥƃᴉH ǝɥʇ ɟo ƃuᴉǝq ɐ ɟo pɹɐɔ ƃuᴉllɐɔ ∀ ˙ǝɯ ǝʞᴉ˥"

    "
    ...It's...?"

    Her mouth quirked downwards. It didn't sound too much like it was anything really hostile, but nevertheless it looked odd, if it was enough to make
    the Word frazzled, then...who really knew.

    Seeing Alga's confusion and fear,
    the Word continued.

    "
    ˙ƃuᴉɥʇoN ʇsǝɥƃᴉH ɟo ƃuᴉǝq ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ʇɥƃnoɥʇ ɐ ɯoɹɟ uɹoq ʎʇᴉlɐǝɹun uᴉ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos ɟo ʍopɐɥs ɐ sᴉ ƃuᴉǝǝs ǝɹɐ noʎ ʇɐɥM ˙ɥƃnoɥʇ ʎʇᴉlɐǝɹun uᴉ ʇsᴉsɹǝd ʎluo uɐɔ ɯɹoɟ ʎW ˙ʎʇᴉlɐǝɹ lɐɔᴉsʎɥd uᴉ ǝɔɐld ɐ oʇuᴉ puᴉɯ lɐǝɹ ɐ ɯoɹɟ pǝlq 'ɹǝpɹO ɟo ƃuᴉǝq ɐ ɟo ʇɥƃnoɥʇ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ǝpɐɯ sɐʍ I"

    It kept checking the area in Alga's mirrored kitchen, as if expecting the hole to appear there. It breathed in deeply each time it saw nothing.

    It closed its eyes and said, "
    ˙uʍɐds sʇI sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ ʇǝʎ pu∀ ˙ɯɹoɟ ʎuɐ uᴉ ǝɹǝɥ ǝq ʇ,uplnoɥs ʇI ˙uɹnʇ sʇᴉ ʇou sᴉ ʇI"

    Alga struggled to make sense of the words being told to her, pausing when she reached the living room and almost absent-mindedly flipping the switch to turn the light on. At the very least, from what all
    the Word was saying, it didn't seem like anything was going to be popping out at her from those holes.

    Still... They were sort of creepy to look at.

    "
    ...As long as nothing's going to reach out and grab me, I guess..." A pause, and then she flushed. "That...sounds kind of stupid, actually..." Nothing like that had happened so far, right?

    The Word didn't respond for a long while. Alga looked for holes in the 'silence.'

    But after a minute or so, the Word wrote, "
    ˙uɹnʇ sʇI ʇ,usᴉ ʇI ˙ʎʇᴉlᴉqᴉsuodsǝɹ s,ǝuoʎuɐ ǝq ʇ,uplnoɥs sᴉɥ┴ ˙ʎʇᴉlᴉqᴉsuodsǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇ,usᴉ sᴉɥ┴ ˙ǝuᴉɟ ǝq plnoɥs ƃuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ"

    > Examine for Holes (Savvy)
    > Modifiers: Hesitant (-1)
    > Base Pool: 6 ==> Dice Pool: 5
    > Successes: 2


    Alga looked around a little longer, not expecting... no maybe hoping she wouldn't find more, but... sure enough, there was one that was--for lack of a better term--clipping into her wall.

    Its diameter was cleft in twain, cutting directly through a painting her grandma loved. It seemed as if half the hole was lodged within her wall and she couldn't help but open the door outside to see if the other half of the hole extended outside.

    It did. But it was worse.

    Once she was outside she could See. There were holes everywhere. Not always circular, but they were all the same. Voids of darkness perceptible even in the dark of the evening. Triangles of reality snipped from the sky. Perpendicular angles snipped out as if from some child's paper toy.

    Changing angles slightly hid holes and revealed new ones, creating a kaleidoscope of fractures diveting reality.

    Calling cards of Nothing, the Word had said.

    Had they always been there? Had Alga just not been able to See them before?

    When Alga had gone to investigate the problem,
    she had expected maybe one or two more gaps loosely hanging through her home. Unnerving, but manageable. She had yet to consider just how the outside would look, and much less just how severe it could get.

    Surveying the scenery with wide eyes, she felt the onset of a very familiar feeling of almost numb panic rise in her chest, her throat seizing up as she attempted to swallow something lodged within it. This wasn't like the mirrors. This... There was no way she could possibly ignore them.

    "
    U-Uhm...?" Her voice sounded as disturbed as she felt, cracking with the noise and coming out hoarse through the cotton stuffing her esophagus.

    "
    ¿ɹǝǝS 'ǝǝS noʎ op ʇɐɥM"

    Worried words.
    Did she dare tell the truth? ...did the Word already know? It must have been painted all over her face. It must have been obvious it was…

    "
    ...E-Everywhere." Her voice is hoarse and quiet, a breath away from trembling. "They're...everywhere."

    @VeryButter

    Mag ==> Train to Hit Vitals

    Mag focuses on learning how to kill foos real quicklike by hittin where it hurts. Yo.



    At first the training was just focusing on how to aim, but Mag realized that even if she couldn’t hit directly, the knockback of the jet could push people away from it, damaging them indirectly. It wasn’t enough to push someone complete off their feet, but it was something.

    She sat down. Honestly, firing the thing off without a tank really made her tired. Maybe because she wasn’t dipping down often enough to recover. Yeah… maybe she should just take a dip.

    The room was covered in Mag’s color, so it wasn’t hard to find a spot to just sink in and relax.

    Well… maybe not relax. Without the distraction of ranging to keep her preoccupied, Mag’s thoughts wandered a more pressing issue: she’d sent out two people to fetch her stone. Err… not really sent out. They did that themselves.

    But still.

    Were they going to be okay? Are they fine? Beth said she’d be back. She was going to be back, right?

    It had only been fifteen minutes, surely. But… there was no clock on the wall. It was hard to tell. There were no windows either, not that it would matter. It was already pitch dark.

    Mag popped up and began to practice with the weapon again, watching as the dummies swayed to the side, pushed by her shots. It was easier to just keep firing. To just keep pushing ahead. Easier.

    Dammit.

    A shot. Another shot. Another shot. Each shot paired with a pop. Mag didn’t miss. If only all targets were this easy. Stationary and color-coded.

    Pop. Pop. Pop.

    The hours drifted on until finally the sliding door opened again and Mag swung around, pointing her gun at… One. Just One.

    M-M-Mom says not t-to p-p-point guns a-at people un-unless y-you mean t-t-to use them. Are you…” he trailed off.

    Whoops. What now?

    ((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

    Reminders:

    Posts are Due: I think we've got this at this point.
    Gm Post will be Made: Ibid.


    Will be Responded to in GM Post:
    Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
    Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
    Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
    Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
    Sleep [use this when there's nothing left you can do, logically, in the day]
    Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]
    Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
    Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
    Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]

    Will be Responded to Immediately:
    Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]
    Pick Up [use this action on something you want to hold onto]
    Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
    Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]

    Search For [use like examine but for things that may or may not be there]
    Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]
     
    Yin_ and Aykorn like this.
  3. Hesoca

    Hesoca Full Squid

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2015
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    65
    Edit: this post is garbage but I don't have the motivation to fix it so here it stays

    Somewhere between the softless floor and tangible darkness, Max laid with his face to dirt.

    He was tired. Dull pain throbbed in his hands; a sore fatigue traced itself through his arms. The fiery motivation that had fueled him flickered in his chest, smothered by the cold resilience of the mirror. Fighting had been an exercise in futility; not even his strongest blows had managed to dent the glass. All he had to show of his struggle were the inkish bruises of his fingers and the weakness that accompanied them.

    He couldn’t win. He couldn’t beat that stupid mirror.

    Give up.

    With a breathless stir, Max turned his face to the side. In his line of vision, the mirror rested alongside him, motionless in comparison to his breathless gasps. As always, the image of the weeping child displayed prominently uninvited, this time a vision protruding upward from the glass. It stared at Max with eyes dampened by unconsoled tears.

    Dead-faced, Max flipped the mirror over and rolled onto his back, staring into the space he had conjured.

    As though by request, the presence around him quieted to the hum of his ragged breathing. Above him, the miasma ravaged; he watched as its soundless claws rattled against the space as though it were glass. Carefully, he touched the edge of the space. It felt almost-tangible; he stared, his eyes shimmering with awe and horror.

    This was him. This was his doing. He was defeating the miasma.

    Something akin to a laugh escaped him. He felt at the edges again, watching the darkness above lapped at his fingers. This was his doing. This presence, this was him. He was defeating the miasma.

    Another thing like a laugh escaped him, this one louder and more prolonged. His hand returned to him slow. Ahah. Shell, there was terrible irony to this. How had he conjured this... thing? Had he always been able to? Or was it tied to...

    He glanced at the mirror. Even with its reflection hidden, he knew that the crying child inside it was staring back.

    ... No. The mirror was his enemy. Besides, it had been his thoughts that had brought this presence into existence. The power must've lied in his words. In his feeling. In his... belief.

    He paused. A familiar voice rang in his head.

    If you fight without giving up that which is truly important to you, then you can avoid any corruption.

    Slowly, his gaze fell on the miasma. If he fought without giving up that which was truly important. Fought without giving up.

    Give up.

    He blinked. Then he chuckled. He sneered, and then laughed. He snickered and fitted and cackled through his uneven breaths. Fryin’ shell, Jax was right. That smug tryhard was right. It was belief. Thoughts, willpower. Damned if it wasn't something out of a fryin' comicbook, but if it worked, then it fryin' worked.

    Shakily, Max staggered to his feet. The mirror beckoned with patient persistence; in agitation, he buried it in the bottom of his duffel. Give up. Tch. Like shell was he giving up. This was just the beginning. The miasma had shown his weakness; he had proven that he was able to exploit it.

    And now? Now he would prove that he could control it.

    With a delirious grin, Max rested his hands on the edge of the presence, and, with the full force of his belief, commanded the presence around him to

    E X P A N D

    and push the darkness away.
     
    #523 Hesoca, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    ReedRGale, Rustic, Yin_ and 1 other person like this.
  4. Aykorn

    Aykorn Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    Messages:
    387
    Likes Received:
    182
    NNID:
    A_korn
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5939-8938-2753
    Wade clutched his throat. It burned from forcing up whatever kept his words from getting through, but he didn't have time to soothe the pain.

    He didn't have long, he had to say something. ...But what?

    Panic seared through Wade's mind. What could he say? What would be enough to make Jax realize...? What was he even supposed to realize?

    Wade swallowed his doubt and called out.

    "This isn't how your memory went," Wade said. "You know she didn't say this!"

    This was Jax's memory, his mind, his decisions.

    "R-realize what you're saying to yourself. You ...have to," he cried desperately, "...or ...you'll--!"

    Wade choked on the suffocating nothingness. His words stopped, lost and dispersed to the underink static.

    That was it. It was all he could do.

    ...Was that enough?

    Speak.
    Then ...Do Nothing.
     
    Rustic, Hesoca and Yin_ like this.
  5. Banshee

    Banshee Full Squid

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2015
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    68
    NNID:
    Laddy-Daddy
    She thought she had gotten past this. Passing out and waking up in her room, so normal and /real/, had felt like the end of a nightmare. Even when she could still see things in the mirrors and her reflections showed skewed images of herself, at least that had been manageable. She could ignore reflections.

    This was too much.

    "Why..." Her voice was barely audible, but she didn't really care. The Word could hear her whether she spoke or not. "W-Why this? Why me? I-I thought...after coming back..."

    She squeezed her eyes shut, unable to look at the mess any longer and uncertain of what else she could do. They were in her house, probably in her room... There was no running.

    Alga might've cried if not for the fact that she had already cried as much as she was able to that day.

    Talk: The Word
     
    Yin_ likes this.
  6. VeryButter

    VeryButter Semi-Pro Squid

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    84
    NNID:
    EatALLTehCereal
    Magabelle stared, lowering her weapon as her expression drifted from stressed to surprised. Was... how long had it been? And where...

    "Oh," Magabelle blinked, then fully lowered her weapon, getting closer to him with a bounced walk. "Sorry One, I was a bit... distracted."

    Concern painted her face as she crouched down in front of One—it wasn't necessary, but frankly, her legs were getting a little tired anyway, and she didn't want to be taller than him—and asked him a question. "Where's Bethany?"

    Talk: One
     
    Hesoca and Yin_ like this.
  7. ReedRGale

    ReedRGale Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    234
    @Aykorn
    Wade ==> Was it Enough?

    The waiting was the hardest part.
    Wade could feel the mother’s lies return. He couldn’t speak, but for as long as he could, he held fast, fighting against whatever force was possessing his words. It was retaliating, making him want to puke, but he clenched his teeth and waited with bated breath.

    > Wade:
    > Desperate Plea (Charisma)
    > Modifiers: Word Efficiency (+2)
    > Base Pool: 4 ==> Dice Pool: 6
    > Successes: 1

    > Jax:
    > Realize Reality (Savvy)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 6
    > Successes: 2 + 1 (Wade’s Words)


    It felt like forever. Ages passed while Wade held out against
    the deception. But, finally, Jax broke the silence.

    ...who was that?” he asked from behind the door.

    As if it had been waiting for a trigger, the words forced themselves from Wade. It was only a word, a simple word, but it had more power than Wade was prepared to restrain. “
    Who?

    There was someone else. A boy. A familiar voice--

    People are the problem and you know it,” the lie interjected. It didn’t want him to think about Wade. He could feel it. “You know that so long as people can’t change then what you’re doing is futile.

    Jax was silent.

    You want them to take action. To learn. To move forward for their own betterment. But they’ll never pay attention as long as there’s something more convenient to--

    Wade could hear movement behind the door. He could feel the disconnect between
    this lie’s--no… between this facet of Jax and his active attention.

    ...I’m coming out.

    I thought you wanted to stay in there forever,the facet taunted, deadpan.

    He opened the door and in front of him was his mom Wade. He had to focus to see through the falseness but… his friend was there.

    How… who...” Jax began but he stopped. He clutched his temple. Wade could feel the hallway shiver as his friend racked his brain for explanations. He looked around and took a deep breath. “This isn’t right. Deja Vu.

    The lie was silent. The pressure was gone, but Wade's voice was still trapped.

    You can’t speak then? I have questions. Do you have any answers?

    What now, Wade?

    @Hesoca
    Max ==> Believe

    This was so dumb.
    But dammit! It had to work. It had to.

    > Expanding the Bubble (Charisma + Savvy)
    > Modifiers: Belief (+5)
    > Base Pool: 6 ==> Dice Pool: 11
    > Successes: 4


    This didn’t come naturally. Just
    knowing you could do something then doing it. But it had to work. And believing in it had to give it power. It just had to. And the funniest part? It did.

    It was slow at first, but over time,
    the miasma retreated as the barrier expanded. Max hadn’t noticed before, but as the bubble grew, the light returned. This blasted mist had consumed it greedily. But no longer. Not if he had something to say about it.

    He was sweating. He’d extended
    the bubble as much as he could. His whole body was trembling. Energy he hadn’t known before coursed through him and his muscles ached. Some wellspring inside of him was being tested. Deep Ones below, was it draining.

    But it was fruitful. He could see the ceiling and floor again. He had maybe ten feet of vision again. The darkness was here.
    The mirror was in his duffel, safely tucked away for... for later. But none of that mattered.

    What mattered now was pushing forward. He could do this. He wouldn’t give up.
    He’d never give up.

    Max picked up the flashlight and walked ahead. Wherever Jax and Wade were, they could take care of themselves. Loathe as he was to admit it, Jax was probably fine. And the ink-speck, for what it was worth. They'd meet up again later.

    It was time to move forward. With the barrier giving him a line of sight, Max walked ahead. It was quiet. Maybe even peaceful. He was tired from exerting… whatever this was, but thank those Below for calm. Relaxing.

    He could move forward. It was just him and the tunnel. Or well, it was for awhile.

    Broaching the barrier, not a few minutes later, was Jax’s figure. His eyes and mouth were dripping a
    black fluid slowly, leaving black streaks like tears and vomit.

    What now?

    @Banshee

    Talk ==> The Word

    "Why..." Alga whispered. "W-Why this? Why me? I-I thought...after coming back..."

    "
    ˙ɹǝǝS 'ǝǝS no⅄ ˙ǝɹɐ noʎ ʇɐɥʍ sᴉ ʇI ˙ǝɹɐ noʎ ʍoɥ sᴉ ʎldɯᴉs ʇI ˙ǝsɹnɔ ɐ ɹou ƃuᴉssǝlq ɐ ɹǝɥʇᴉǝu sᴉ ǝǝS o┴" The Word gazed through the mirror sadly. "˙sᴉ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs llᴉʍ noʎ puɐ sᴉ ʇᴉ ʇɐɥʍ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ʇnq 'suoᴉʇɔǝlɟǝɹ ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝʍ noʎ ǝʞᴉl 'ǝɯᴉʇ ǝɯos ɹoɟ ʇᴉ ǝɹouƃᴉ uɐɔ noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ 'ʎɹʇ noʎ ɟI"

    "
    It's everywhere," Alga croaked. "N-Nothing's going to be normal again... I-I'm going to have to stare at these th-things no matter where I go o-or what I do..."

    She didn't know what to do. These blips of
    nothingness were going to follow her no matter what and she didn't know what to do about it.

    "
    ˙ʎʇᴉlᴉqᴉsuodsǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇ,usᴉ ʇI" The Word soothed. "˙puƎ ǝɥ┴ lᴉʇun ǝɟɐs ʎɐʇs puɐ ǝɹouƃI ˙ǝɔɐǝd uᴉ sʇuǝɯoɯ ʇsɐl ɹnoʎ ʎoɾuƎ ˙ʍou ɹoℲ ˙ǝuᴉɟ ǝɹɐ no⅄ ˙ǝuᴉɟ ʇsnɾ 'ʍou lᴉʇun dn ǝuop ǝʌ,noʎ ʇɐɥʍ s,ʇɐɥ┴ ˙ʇᴉ ǝɹouƃᴉ ʇsnſ"

    "
    H-How?" She asked, deigning to chance a peek at the mirror which held the Word. "The reflections aren't everywhere, a-and they're easy to ignore... This is just...i-in your face...!"

    "
    ˙ʎɹʇ ʎldɯᴉS"

    The Word had said to try, so try she did. She wasn't certain how, so she settled for
    focusing on anything that wasn't her current issue, from the grass between her feet to the handle grasped tight in her fist. Slowly, she looked up, her mind struggling to drift away from thoughts of the nothingness littering her vision.

    Alga wasn't certain exactly how hopeful she had been, but whatever optimism that was there withered in her stomach at the sight that greeted her.

    They were still there. Maybe not in complete opacity like they had been, because several of the shapes did look somewhat faded, but...nothing was really gone. Everything was still as it was.

    "
    They're still there... S-Some are kind of faded, but..."

    The Alga in the mirror looked wistful. "˙ʎɐʍʎuɐ ƃuol ooʇ ɹǝʇɟɐ ɹǝʇʇɐɯ ʇ,uoʍ ʇI ˙ǝɹǝɥʇ noʎ dlǝɥ ʇ,uɐɔ I"

    It looked out from
    the mirror at the emptiness surrounding Alga. "˙ǝɔɐɟ uɐɔ noʎ ʎluo ǝƃuǝllɐɥɔ ɐ ǝq llᴉʍ ƃuᴉǝǝsu∩"

    There was
    a question in the back of her mind about their words and the implications behind them, but Alga chose to ignore it for the time being, frowning into the mirror.

    "
    C-Can I work on it, then...?" They had said it was a challenge. Was it just...one of those things you had to practice a lot to get good at?

    "
    ˙pǝᴉɹʇ ʎllɐǝɹ noʎ ɟᴉ ɟlǝsɹnoʎ ǝlɟᴉʇs ʎlqɐqoɹd plnoɔ no⅄ ˙ǝɯᴉʇ ǝɥʇ llɐ sǝʌlǝsɯǝɥʇ ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝldoǝd ʇnq ˙ǝɹnʇɐu ʎɹǝʌ ɹnoʎ ʇsuᴉɐƃɐ sǝoƃ ʇI ˙ʎlqɐqoɹԀ"

    She looked at
    the mirror with nervous contemplation. It was definitely something, at least. Put practice in or somehow get used to this and learn to ignore it too. Though, that sounded kind of impossible...

    "
    ...C-Can try, at least..."

    The Word was silent again, sitting in the reflection. Then, reaching out, it wrote a message in the mirror.

    "
    ˙ɹǝɟsuɐɹʇ ʎɯ sǝɹᴉnbǝɹ ʇɐɥʇ ʇnq ˙ʇsoɥ ɹǝɥʇouɐ puᴉɟ ʇsnɯ I ˙ƃuᴉɥʇ ǝuo op oʇ noʎ ʞsɐ ʇsnɯ I ʇnq 'ʍou ɹoɟ ɥɔnɯ ʇᴉq ɐ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ʍouʞ I" Then, rethinking, it changed its mind and added, "˙pǝlzzɐɹɟ ǝʇᴉnb ɯǝǝs no⅄ ˙ɥƃnoɥʇ ǝɯᴉʇ ɹǝɥʇouɐ sdɐɥɹǝԀ"

    The sudden change of topic, as well as what that topic was about, caught her off guard, and she stared wide-eyed at the reflection as her mind processed the request.

    "
    You...want to leave?"

    "
    ˙ʎʇᴉlᴉqᴉsuodsǝɹ ʎɯ sᴉ sᴉɥ┴ ˙oʇ ǝʌɐɥ I ˙oʇ ʇuɐʍ ʇ,uop I"

    It looked frustrated but began to write.

    "
    ˙ɥʇᴉʍ ǝzᴉɥʇɐdɯǝ plnoɔ ʎllɐɹnʇɐu noʎ ǝuo ʇ,usᴉ ǝɔuǝʇsᴉxǝ ʎW ˙ʇlnɔᴉɟɟᴉp sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉuᴉɐldxƎ" It paused, looking for more to say. A Word looking for words. "˙ɹǝɥʇouɐ ɹoɟ ʎɹnʇuǝɔ ɐ ɹoɟ ƃuᴉʇᴉɐʍ ʎʇᴉlɐǝɹu∩ uᴉ ǝuolɐ sɐʍ I ˙ǝɯ pɐǝɹ oʇ ǝlqɐ puoɔǝs ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'uɹoq sɐʍ I ǝɔuᴉs 'sᴉ ʇɐɥ┴ ˙ǝsuǝs ʇɐɥʇ uᴉ lɐᴉɔǝds ;puoɔǝs ʎɯ ǝɹɐ no⅄ ˙oʇ ʇuɐʍ ʇ,uop I ǝɯ ǝʌǝᴉlǝq"

    It looked to Alga, hurt but unable to lie. "
    ˙ʍouʞ ʇsnɯ pɹo˥ ʎW ˙qoɾ ʎɯ sᴉ sᴉɥ┴ ˙sᴉɥʇ op oʇ pǝǝu I ˙uoᴉʇɔɐ ǝʞɐʇ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ 'ǝɹɐ noʎ s∀ ˙ǝƃuɐɥɔ oʇ noʎ ʞsɐ ʇouuɐɔ I ˙ʇuǝɔɐldɯoɔ ǝɹɐ noʎ ʇnq ˙lnɟɹǝʍod ǝɹɐ no⅄"

    Curiosity for the first to be able to read the Word burned on her tongue. Again, she shunted it away, absorbed in their words.

    It hurt, of course. Little things like that always did, even if they were
    simple truth. It came with low self-esteem. But with the way the Word was speaking, it sounded like their need to leave was because of her, and that hurt a little bit worse.

    Alga moved to sit herself onto the grass, looking both morose and guilty as she looked over her double in the mirror. It was a bit strange; they'd only met that day, only spoken maybe a handful of times so far, but
    the idea of them leaving, probably the one presence who knew anything about what all was happening to her... It was kind of scary.

    "
    ...I can't do things on my own." Her voice was quiet, still hoarse. But stable. "I get scared. It's how I've always been. I...usually need someone to tell me it's okay to do it."

    She swallowed. "
    I don't mind helping people much if they ask. But... I can't do it by myself."

    The Word looked fidgety. Knowing Alga, it didn't want to push her. But eventually an opinion won out and it began.

    "
    ˙ɹǝƃuɐp ǝnpun oʇ ǝɯoɔ oʇ noʎ ʇuɐʍ ʇou op I pu∀ ˙snoɹǝƃuɐp ǝq llᴉʍ ʇᴉ ʇnq ˙ʇᴉ ǝʌᴉƃ oʇ ƃuᴉllᴉʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI ˙uǝɥʇ dlǝɥ ɹnoʎ ǝʞᴉl plnoʍ ˙˙˙I"

    It closed its eyes, contemplative, as it continued writing out its message.

    "
    ˙sdlǝɥ ʇᴉ ɟᴉ 'ʇᴉ uo dǝǝls uɐɔ no⅄ ¿ƃuᴉllᴉʍ llᴉʇs noʎ ǝɹ∀"

    Of course it was going to be dangerous. She was stuck with crazy powers and couldn't get them to go away, and then there was Lili...

    It was still difficult to decide though, even if it was
    the Word's companionship on the line. It could have been anything. Gunfights, sneaking around... Possibly getting stabbed and killed...

    Alga shuddered. "I-I'll sleep on it, if that's okay..."

    The Word smiled warmly. "˙
    ǝlqɐpuɐʇsɹǝpu∩"

    As if it were holding its breath, the reflection exhaled heavily then added, "
    ˙ǝǝS oʇ ʇuɐʍ noʎ ʇɐɥʍ uo snɔoɟ oʇ uɹɐǝl noʎ ɟᴉ 'ɥƃnouǝ ʎsɐǝ ǝq plnoɥs ʇᴉ ɹǝʍod ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉM ˙ǝlqnoɹʇ pᴉoʌɐ noʎ dlǝɥ oʇ uɐɔ I ʇɐɥʍ op ll,I"

    "
    Th-Thanks..."

    Between the supposed potency of her powers and
    the Word's promise, it at least didn't sound too bad.

    ((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

    Will be Responded to in GM Post:
    Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
    Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
    Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
    Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
    Sleep [use this when there's nothing left you can do, logically, in the day]
    Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]
    Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
    Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
    Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]

    Will be Responded to Immediately:
    Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]
    Pick Up [use this action on something you want to hold onto]
    Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
    Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]

    Search For [use like examine but for things that may or may not be there]
    Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]
     
    #527 ReedRGale, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Yin_ likes this.
  8. Hesoca

    Hesoca Full Squid

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2015
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    65
    Max propelled forward before he recognized he was doing so.

    His body begged him to stop. Every part of him ached with the weight of whatever power he had conjured; the bubble around him hung heavy, dragging itself forward in pace to his steps. Yet he couldn't. He couldn't keep himself from pushing forward.

    His steps took him in front of Jax, and he knelt, watching with horror as the black ooze leaked from every crevice of his cohort’s face. It was globulous, a bubbling tar that seemed to stick and cling to any surface in reach. Another form of the corruption.

    Jax's words rang in his head.

    If you fight without giving up that which is truly important to you, then you can avoid any corruption.

    A deep shiver ran under his skin. Jax had fought the Octarian forces before. He should've known how they operated. He should've known what the corruption could do. And yet, here he was, hanging limply and crying black rot, a mere shell of the hero who had ravaged the dark forces a few years ago. Had he been defeated? Overwhelmed by some greater evil neither of them could comprehend? Or had he... had he... just...

    Swallowing hard, Max scanned Jax and the immediate area for any other signs of corruption.

    Examine: Jax, Black Ooze, Tunnel
     
    Aykorn, ReedRGale and Yin_ like this.
  9. ReedRGale

    ReedRGale Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    234
    Examine: Jax, Black Ooze, Tunnel

    Max's eyes flitted about not focusing on any one thing for too long.
    This was distressing, especially what he'd just come out of but... he had to focus. He was the hero. What was he dealing with here?

    > Examining Jax (Savvy + Academics)
    > Modifiers: Knowledge of Unknown (-2)
    > Base Pool: 6 ==> Dice Pool: 4
    > Successes: 2

    He... wasn't looking good. Probably the corruption, but in a more tangible form. It was terrifying to see, but Max reminded himself that he had no idea what it looked like when he was... wherever was before. With the mirror. This might just be normal for whatever... this... is... and he was currently struggling with the darkness.

    A twinge of pride sparked a wry smile. Maybe Max had just won before him? Yeah. Yeah,
    Jax was gonna win. If he couldn't then... well... it'd be embarrassing to have lost to him.

    > Examining Black Ooze (Savvy + Academics)
    > Modifiers: Knowledge of Unknown (-2)
    > Base Pool: 6 ==> Dice Pool: 4
    > Successes: 2

    The stuff coming off Jax looked like tar but Max supposed that it was different. If anything, it seemed similar to the unnatural darkness--the miasma--in its nature. Maybe it took a more concrete form when attempting to corrupt people?

    Some of it was welling up on the floor and Max took the butt of his dynamo and slid it through
    the acrid muck. When he pulled it away, the tip of his weapon was gone, as if consumed by some sort of acid. The shell was this stuff!?

    > Examining Tunnel (Savvy + Charisma)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 6
    > Successes: 2


    Working to ignore the damage to his precious weapon, Max looked around the tunnel. With the light returned he could see that the surface was, like before, rougher than previous sector of the tunnel they'd come from. Probably hadn't had time to get to it with the helldrill yet.

    The ceiling already had runes carved into it though... and there was something different about them. They were glowing. Max didn't want to move forward without Jax, so he didn't go further to see more characters but
    he had a hunch that these were likely the cause of... whatever this was.

    Χ

    ά

    Spooky.

    What now?
     
    Aykorn and Yin_ like this.
  10. Aykorn

    Aykorn Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    Messages:
    387
    Likes Received:
    182
    NNID:
    A_korn
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5939-8938-2753
    You can’t speak then? I have questions. Do you have any answers?”

    Wade hesitated for a moment.

    Did
    he have answers? He had some. Wade could help to make sense of things, but did he actually know what was going on? Ha, not really. He wanted to stutter something along the lines of "Yes, kinda? Maybe..." but that was pointless in itself. Words still wouldn't formulate in the air, and all Wade could do was try to nod and shrug at the same time. Maybe gesture that 'it's complicated.'

    He just needed to say things without verbal words. Like with texts. Like back in the tunnel. The other two had pulled out their phones and started to communicate, even while the drill drowned everything out.

    Wade instantly checked his person for his phone, and --surprise surprise-- he still had it on him despite being in some dream memory distortion. Wade immediately started to type out what he wanted to say.

    "I see you doing... something," Jax began, still clearly struggling with his perception of what was going on. "But I can't really make out what you're doing."

    Wade held up his just completed message and frowned. Figures.

    "Is it possible for us to leave here?" Jax asked. "I'm finding this whole situation rather unsettling."

    Wade paused, then his eyes lit up. That was it.

    If Wade could just walk back into his own memory space with Jax in tow, maybe the pressure would be gone and they could just talk. He knew what his own memory comprised of... Maybe the ooze and whatever stopped Wade's voice only existed here. If Wade could enter Jax's head like this, then quite possibly...

    Decisively, Wade motioned to the door he originally came through, signalling that Jax should follow.

    Go To: Wade's memory space purgatory dream whatever
     
    ReedRGale, Hesoca and Yin_ like this.
  11. Hesoca

    Hesoca Full Squid

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2015
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    65
    The words basked Max in an arcane glow twinged with timeless power. In them, perhaps, laid some grand truth clandestine amidst the echelons of time. "Χά" was their echo; the solemn light, their pause. They beckoned for an answer. And so to them, Max, beheld by the resonance of their archaic erudition, turned his gaze upward and said:

    "The fry is that supposed to mean...?"

    Theatrics aside, the phenomenon around him held disturbingly foreign. Certainly, he knew corruption, but this... this whatever-it-was acted beyond his recognition. Never had he seen his nemesis take on such an esoteric form, nor consume the living with such aggressive motivation. Shell... was this really the corruption's power? Had his knowledge been insufficient the whole time...?

    No, it just... that couldn't be. He wasn't wrong. But then how was... how was it... it just didn't... seem...

    Swallowing, Max pulled his gaze from the symbols and to the black ooze leaking from Jax's features. At this rate, he'd have nothing more to save than useless puddle. Dammit... what was he supposed to do?! Scratch out the letters and leave Jax? Or stay with Jax and lose sight of the corruption's source?

    His hands clawed at his hair instinctively. Ngh... this was impossible. Saving Jax required tackling both problems, but he couldn't be in two places at once...! Shell, he needed another body, someone to stay with Jax. Anyone, even the kid-

    Wait.

    ...

    ...

    ...

    ... Where the shell was he, anyway?

    He hesitated, a horrible realization creeping at the back of his throat. That kid... no, Wade... he'd been following behind him in the tunnel, hadn't he...? And if Jax had been hollowed into that shell... if he himself had been overtaken...

    Panic caught his breath. No. No, no this wasn't... don't tell him that Wade was in trouble, too, dammit...! If he hadn't succumb to that sudden darkness... if he hadn't fallen for that mirror's illusions and wallowed in his own memories... fry it, none of this would have happened. It was his fault. His weakness. His-!

    Shaking, he forced himself to breath. In. Out. Stop. Think. He was losing it. Panicking like some sensitive child. What kind of a hero was he, falling apart in the midst of a dire situation like this? His cohorts needed him. Jax and Wade needed him. And right now he was doing them no favors.

    Save Jax. Destroy the source. Both were as equal a solution as any other. He just needed to pick one.

    ... Did he?

    An idea flashed in his head.

    Wait. Wait, that was it!

    He sprinted back to where Jax laid in the acrid muck, positioning himself both a safe distance from the leaking slime and away from the spooky symbols. This black ooze... this was just another part of the corruption, wasn't it? An entity just like the miasma. He'd been able to force the darkness away with his own will. And if he could control that part of the corruption... then he could control this part, too, couldn't he?

    Out of the corner of his eye, he glanced at the symbols. There was no way he could take on the glowing evil full force, especially not without leaving Jax. Still, chances were that if he obfuscated that word in some way, he could weaken the strength of the corruption here. Instinct told him the easiest option would be to reach out with his Dynamo and scratch the letters from the ceiling, but that would take time.

    A wry grin crept on his face. This black ooze had consumed part of his roller without a second thought. So why not put that ravenous appetite to use?

    Max held out an open palm in true hero fashion. Alright, deep breaths. Focus. Take control of the corruption.

    Action: Command the Corruption from Jax and Attack the Symbols
     
    Yin_ and Aykorn like this.
  12. Banshee

    Banshee Full Squid

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2015
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    68
    NNID:
    Laddy-Daddy
    With nothing else she could do and a lot to think about, Alga eventually made to stand back up, dusting off her rear before turning to go back inside, ignoring the plethora of nothingness as best she could. It was at least limited only to a few gaps upon coming back in, and with the sudden barrage from a few minutes prior it was significantly easier to ignore them in favor of her abandoned meal.

    Eating could only take up so much time though, and Alga was suddenly left with an uncertainty of what to do when she found her plate empty. She had only just woken up, what, fifteen minutes ago? And she wasn't really tired enough to try going back to sleep yet...

    She eventually settled on video games and made her way back into her room, closing the door quietly behind her. It was quick work to get changed into her pajamas and prepare for bed even despite the dark of the room, and soon enough she was flicking on the TV with a controller in her hand, happy to immerse herself and forget about the events of the day.

    After that, time passed in a blur. Alga wasn't aware of anything but whatever was on the screen, absorbed in it as she was, and she would have been grateful for it had she even been contemplating it. She played well into the night, or at least that was her guess, and by the time she decided to turn the console off her eyes were burning and felt heavy as lead.

    When Alga crawled into bed, nothing entered her mind except for the desire to sleep and the vague buzzing of fictional worldly thoughts in the back of her mind. As soon as her eyes closed, not even that remained, and she fell into quiet darkness peacably.

    Sleep
     
    Yin_, Aykorn, ReedRGale and 2 others like this.
  13. ReedRGale

    ReedRGale Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    234
    @Aykorn
    Wade ==> Go Back to Headspace

    Just as he had the great idea to return back to his self-purgatory thing, Wade realized that whatever force was inhabiting his body was constricting him. It was as if it knew what he wanted and, even if it couldn’t control his speetch, then it would hold him and, by proxy, Jax back.

    Just one more reason to get out of here pronto.

    > Break Free (Dexterity + Athletics)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 10
    > Successes: 5


    Mustering everything he had, Wade pulled his body from
    the shade effortlessly. He still couldn’t speak--his throat was raw as hell--but that wasn’t important right now. What was important was the fact that the ooze was coming down the front door, threatening to trap them here.

    Jax saw it and began to shirk away but Wade knew that
    this was the only path out. So…

    > Escaping The Ooze (Dexterity + Athletics)
    > Modifiers: High Previous Roll (+2)
    > Base Pool: 10 ==> Dice Pool: 12
    > Successes: 6


    With impressive speed, Wade flew past Jax, grabbing his hand and whipping open the door. He basically threw Jax through the walkway then dove, pulling the door closed with his foot. Just as the door would have slammed, Wade squidded down, avoiding the closing portal.

    ...what was that?” Jax asked.

    Wade shifted back to answer, but before he could, he sputtered. It was a cough at first, then the thingle of a sneeze then… nothing. Just breathing.
    Just breathing. Was that what it felt like to be drowning? It was as if he had been breathing liquid smog up until now and he had forgotten what air was like.

    Are you okay?” Jax asked, like clockwork.

    Wade motioned to him that it was okay and just took a few, long breaths. They were safe. Wade could feel the exit behind the door now. Whatever… that was was over.

    Probably.

    What now?

    @Hesoca
    Max ==> Attempt to Direct the Ooze

    It was just like the barrier. Yeah. Max grit his teeth and smiled. Just like the barrier. Whatever muscle inside him he was flexing to make it was making him perspire with exertion. But he could manage this. He was the hero.

    Palm outstretched he put all his will into moving
    that tar to attack its source.

    > Attempt to Move the Corruption (Charisma + Savvy)
    > Modifiers: ??? (-2)
    > Base Pool: 6 ==> Dice Pool: 4
    > Successes: 1


    A few seconds passed. A few torturous seconds as Max sweat. He could feel the barrier he’d made shrink back.
    That was fine. He just needed enough light to see where to walk anyway.

    He tried to move it like telekinesis at first, but that didn’t seem to work. Of course it wouldn’t.

    Moving his palm to direct the ooze was fruitless as well.

    He could feel veins popping out. He was pushing his strength to the limit but nothing was happening.

    Finally he collapsed to the floor, a sweating mess. It was all he could do
    to hold the barrier up. It was then that he saw it: floating in front of him was a droplet of the tar. That was all? That was it? That much was that… heavy?

    He could feel it
    like an itch. Like it was rejecting whatever he was doing. He couldn’t move it. He couldn’t move it the few feet to the ceiling.

    Max groaned and the droplet fell.
    An intense pressure released. The barrier naturally expanded again. The discomfort left.

    Moving those drops was not an option.

    Silently, Max apologized to Jax for the wasted time. Using his dynamo to pull himself back up, he prepared to scratch the rune the old-fashioned way.

    It couldn’t be more than two feet above him. His dynamo could easily reach, if he held it from the end…

    > Scritch the Scratching (Athletics + Dexterity)
    > Modifiers: End of the Dynamo (-1)
    > Base Pool: 12 ==> Dice Pool: 11
    > Successes: 6


    With a deft swipe, Max struck at the symbol, clearly etching a scrape over the
    Χ. At first it seemed all quiet, but his instincts told him something was going to happen.

    Good thing he never ignored his instincts.

    > Reaction (Dexterity)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 5
    > Successes: 3


    With a sound like shattering glass,
    a triangle of the air erupted into nonexistence, leaving a black hole as dark as the corruption they had been walking through until recently. Sure enough, it originated directly from the scratch Max had made.

    But it wasn’t over yet.

    More shattering sounds incurred as the pale blue faded from the rune.
    The shapes came from all angles and appeared with only a moment’s notice. Relying on sound, Max made decent guesses about where the nothing would break next.

    Only once was he grazed. He dodged out of the way of a fissure only moments before it broke reality and his leg slid across one of the recently made holes in reality.

    > Max took 3 damage.
    > 10 / 13


    It didn’t cut or even hurt, but as he passed through it, he could feel his leg grow lighter. Then his head got light. And his vision got blurry. And he was suddenly, very hungry. Telltale signs of over-consumption of ink.

    One of the scary things about fighting without an ink tank was accidentally using too much of your body. And in an instant, he’d lost that much.

    Freakin shell…” Max groaned.

    He was tense for the next minute or so. He watched
    the letter as it flickered like a neon light, getting duller with each vacillation.

    Just die…

    As if on command, it stopped.

    A minute then another crept by. Nothing. And nothing as in
    holes in reality. Just nothing. All clear.

    Slowly, the air returned like glue filling in cracks. The light from Max’s flashlight inched back into the
    otherworldly holes. Jax seemed…

    Deep Ones, was he okay!?

    Max rushed to his side, the oozing appearing to have eased a bit. It appeared as if he was fine. But he still wasn’t leaving this… whatever state it was.

    Only a few dribbles dropped down his cheek now, burning holes in his pants. But he was fine for now.

    What now?

    @Banshee

    Alga has had a long day.

    ((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

    Will be Responded to in GM Post:
    Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
    Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
    Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
    Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
    Sleep [use this when there's nothing left you can do, logically, in the day]
    Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]
    Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
    Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
    Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]

    Will be Responded to Immediately:
    Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]
    Pick Up [use this action on something you want to hold onto]
    Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
    Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]

    Search For [use like examine but for things that may or may not be there]
    Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]
     
    #533 ReedRGale, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Yin_, Aykorn and Hesoca like this.
  14. ReedRGale

    ReedRGale Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    234
    @VeryButter
    Mag ==> Talk

    "Where's Bethany?" Mag asked.

    "
    M-mom?" One responded, trading question for question. Then, a second later, something seemed to click and he went on. "Sh-she's in the kitchen. She h-has your stone."

    "
    Ah—wait, what?" Magabelle answered, initially a sound of acknowledgement, then brief confusion which faded quickly. "Eh. Uh... could you take me to the kitchen then, One?"

    "
    Sure." He smiled. The white-tentacled Inkling peeked behind her. "Y-you uh, really did some work in there."

    Magabelle stood up and looked back at the inked training room, blinking, then simply shrugging. "
    Mm. I... guess?"

    "
    Y-yeah. It only gets like that when I, um..." he trailed off.

    "...do the exploding thing?" Magabelle finished for him, guessing.

    "Y-yeah. Well. Th-that or r-really, um, anything else." One broke eye contact. "I... don't like to, uh, practice. At all."

    "Why's that?" Magabelle asked.

    "I, uh, have... um... k-k-killed. A-a lot. P-people. S-scream. A lot. And, um, it hurts my ears. And... u-um." He pointed to his chest. "It hurts here. P-practicing reminds me o-of when. Uh. That. M-mom s-says it's still i-important. Sometimes. T-to. That. But I... I don't l-like it."

    "Oh," Magabelle stated, sounding surprised, though she contemplated briefly what else she expected, "that, uh. That's reasonable."

    She shook her head. "
    Anyway, do we want to go to the kitchen, or...?"

    "
    Y-yeah. Let's. Do... that." He tore his eyes away from the scene before him, or whatever he was seeing in his mind's eye, and led the way.

    The two walked into the room, Beth rolling the respawn stone stone in her fingers. "
    Ah, there you are. You were right, there were agents around the house. We took them out silently and got your stone. It... wasn't all that well hidden. Anyway..."

    She tossed the stone to Mag. "
    What's your plan in the future? I'd prefer to take you into protection, but you seem to be determined to throw yourself into danger. I'm surprised, hearing about today, you even came back here, suffering just the loss of your pinky."

    Magabelle reacted quickly enough to the stone throw, catching it in her arms, then bringing it into a slight cradle in her hands.

    "
    Well... I... uh," she began, though she realized that she wasn't entirely sure about the question, "what do you mean?"

    "To which thing specifically?" Beth responded.

    "My plan for the future?"

    "
    Shouldn't you be explaining that to me? Obviously you intend to search for this 'Alga' character, but do you have a plan, per se?"

    "
    Ehh, sort of?" Magabelle answered, shrugging, "I was just going to find out where she was and then go from there."

    "
    I... uh..." Magabelle broke eye contact for a moment to think on that, then sighed. "...Big?"

    "Yeah, big. Like, county-size big," Beth spat. "And that's just counting the floor. There are floating islands that all count as part of their territory. How do you plan to go about searching all of that?"

    "...Well, I didn't expect for her to be in Octo Valley, did I?" Magabelle stated, glaring slightly at Beth in frustration. "I haven't thought about it yet, alright?"

    "That's the problem!" Beth scolded. "You were planning on rushing around headfirst into places you don't even know or understand with no plan while a huge organization tracks your every step, threatening your life along the way!"

    One backed away, covering his ears as his mother yelled.


    "And?!" Magabelle snapped back, a sudden anger cropping up. "You can't stop me and you..." she paused, catching herself and sealing her lips far too tightly for a brief moment.

    "
    ...Why are you so invested in my safety anyway?" she asked a bit quieter, though the words still held some hostility.

    "
    I won't stop you if you really want to persist in this... this... fool's errand," Beth growled. "But if you must ask, it was my negligence to keep track of Type-One that led him to you and, ultimately, connected you to Deepview."

    She grit her teeth. "
    Do you know what it's like to have the lives of others entrusted to you? Then to lose them? One by painful one!? Child by painful child!? Do you!?"

    Many points of anger, little pinpricks, jabbed at her head, making her want to lash out, scream and say somethingfool's errand?!—but... she couldn't think of anything. There wasn't anything to say. She just... bit her lip as Beth spoke. The last thing she said seemed to stick to her mind like glue. But for what reason?

    Magabelle stayed in that pause of thinking how to retaliate, but, finally, she gave up on the argument. "
    ...No."

    "
    Look, I'm just stressed about all this. I'd prefer you safe. But you want to go out and put yourself at risk. I... I can't hold on too tight. I know that. I'm just--" she groaned. "I'm scared of losing more. I'm scared of what I'm responsible for. I feel responsible for you. Have you ever been responsible for something? And failed? It's... not good. It gnaws at you."

    "
    But I can't stifle One. I shouldn't stifle you. I just... let's just come up with a plan that'll actually work before going out and finding this girl, if it's really that important. Just... promise me at that at least?"

    Magabelle paused, her body and her mind confused in which stance to take, then, finally managing to shake one of them away, she sighed. "
    Alright..."

    "Take a seat. We've got a lot to discuss." Beth motioned to the chair, clearly gritting her teeth. Her breaths were becoming noticeable.

    Magabelle sat, mind a haze and body shaking with emotions. "
    You might also want to start breathing more deeply," Beth added. "I find it helps. I don't like to be hit by emotions or told I'm wrong either. But sometimes it's necessary.

    "
    So. First order of business, I believe we should try to come to an agreement with the man stationed at the Squid Sisters' house. We might be able to figure out where those kettles go specifically. Did he say anything about a limited number of end-points?"

    "
    ...I, uh," Magabelle's eyes cycled around in an effort to remember, but stopped as the attempt failed, looking back at Beth. "I don't think so."

    "What else should we to ask him, do you think? Perhaps why he's willing to help you at all? Most agents, as you may tell, pretty much don't care one way or the other whether you live or die. They do what they're told. This is unprecedented. That's worth examining, if you were to ask me."

    "
    Uhh... hm," Magabelle hummed, leaning on her arm. "I don't know, maybe where the, uh, 'end points' are?"

    "Good, good, now we're getting somewhere." Beth nodded. "We can continue this strategy meeting later, but for now, I just want to sleep. This has been... stressful. For many reasons. You can have the guest bedroom for the night. It's down the training hall and to the right. You can go now, unless there's anything else you want to suggest or bring to my attention."

    She looked haggard and worn down as she stated Mag down from across the table. Still, even tired she seemed dependable... if a little terrifyingly focused.

    "
    Not really," Magabelle said simply, starting to get up from the chair.

    "
    Then I'll see you tomorrow," Beth concluded. "In the meantime, I need to go apologize to One. I promised I'd never raise my voice around him and I'm sure he's off, scared somewhere."
     
    Yin_, Aykorn and Hesoca like this.
  15. Hesoca

    Hesoca Full Squid

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2015
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    65
    Without a sound, Max pulled away from Jax and turned to face the imploding darkness.

    It... it was over. It was over. Deep Ones, what the shell had just happened?! He'd just touched it, and it just... it just...

    ...A-argh, his vision was still blurry...

    Quietly, he closed his eyes and steadied his shaking breath. That... could have gone far worse than it did. He had expected the corruption to resist his efforts, but the intensity of its fury and power went far beyond his own predictions.

    He frowned. It was strange, really. The corruption he knew was a disease; it consumed as a means of population, spreading itself among the matches in search of suitable hosts. Yet the reaction of the symbols had been unstable, almost instinctual in nature.

    With a tired sigh, he glanced at Jax. If anyone knew why the corruption was acting this way, it was him.

    Slowly, he rose to his feet. The dizziness worked against his movements; his whole body throbbed with limitless fatigue.

    In the near distance, the dark holes whistled with the sound of sucking air. Though it seemed he had survived the worst of what his enemy had to offer, the instability he'd seen before offered the potential for another fit.

    Frowning, Max turned his flashlight against the holes. Best he checked the wreckage for any danger before proceeding.

    Examine: Black Holes, Changes in the Area
     
    #535 Hesoca, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Yin_ likes this.
  16. ReedRGale

    ReedRGale Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    234
    Max ==> Examine: Black Holes, Changes in the Area

    So much had happened at once. Now that they had achieved relative safety, though, it was now time to see what had actually resulted.

    > Examining the Resulting Damage (Savvy)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 4
    > Successes: 2


    Looking around, Max's barrier had held, so that was good. In fact, in comparison to that impossible consuming
    ooze, it was relatively easy to maintain the bubble. The rune itself had a clear cross through it and it was no longer glowing. The other rune was still glowing though... but maybe it would be best to leave that be for now.

    Slivers were left in the ground. Hallmarks of the explosion of nothings that had burst from the rune upon its destruction. Whatever those were. They were all but gone now, so there wasn't much to glean from those.


    Something interesting though, was the fact that the darkness outside the bubble seemed permeable. The flashlight's beam was starting to pierce through to the tunnel beyond. Good.

    > Examining Black Holes (Savvy)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 4
    > Successes: 0


    As soon as Max had stopped patting himself on the back for clearing some of the darkness, he remembered there were
    a few lingering remnants still filling in with air. But too late.

    Already the largest ones were nothing but dark cracks in
    reality, quickly being reconstructed. Fiddlesticks! There was nothing to test anymore.

    Max cursed his lack of diligence. He shouldn't have been so distracted with such a small gain.
     
    Yin_ likes this.
  17. Aykorn

    Aykorn Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2015
    Messages:
    387
    Likes Received:
    182
    NNID:
    A_korn
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5939-8938-2753
    Inhale. Exhale.


    Wade's breathing finally began to fall back into its normal rhythm. He looked up for a moment and saw the childhood version of his parent's house around him. Five years ago on a quiet afternoon.

    ...It felt surreal, but at least this place still held together after Wade had left with the mirror. He checked his hands. Still holding onto that mirror somehow, too.

    Wade wasn't quite sure how, but he could determine a way out through the front door again. This time without Riv-- no, his memories of Rivera telling him where to go this time. Of course, for her to have told him in the first place, it had to have been something he already knew.

    Wade spared a confused glance into the mirror at himself. How did he know this?

    It didn't exactly matter right now.

    Both Jax and him were safe from the impending ooze. There was a clear way out. Quite literally, they could breathe easy. Thank the Deep Ones.

    Wade had already made some gesture that he was alive, but it felt like he could actually speak in this room. Jax looked.... a little shook. He should say something.

    Wade's first 'talking attempt' came out as a sputtered voice crack, since figuring out what volume to use was a thing after having his voice drowned out, but he paused and tried again.

    "Yeah... yeah, I'm good," Wade said. "Are... you okay?"

    Talk: to Jax
     
    #537 Aykorn, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Yin_ and Hesoca like this.
  18. Hesoca

    Hesoca Full Squid

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2015
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    65
    Tch. Of course the corruption would disappear before he had a chance to examine it.

    With a disgruntled sigh, Max flicked at his cowlick. Well, whatever. Upset as he was, he’d confirmed his suspicions about the symbol’s power. Now that the path was clearer, he could continue though the tunnel in search Wade... if there was anything left to find at this point.

    Max glanced toward Jax. The ooze spewing from his cohort’s face was nothing more than a mild trickle, but he... still didn’t look good. Shell... would it even be right to leave him here like this? Though weakened, that strange corruptive nothingness still hung unstably in the air. If another explosion were to happen...

    He looked toward the tunnel, then Jax, then the tunnel again. Ngh... like shell was he choose between the two...! Wade and Jax both needed him. He couldn’t just leave one to...

    Swallowing hard, Max turned toward Jax again. Shell... he didn’t want to admit it, but out of the two, Jax was the only one whose condition he could confirm, and likewise the only one he knew he could rescue without putting himself behind enemy lines. If he went ahead and got himself trapped, he’d be of no use to anyone, let alone his injured teammates.

    He picked up Jax in solemn silence and hoisted him onto his shoulder, careful to keep the dripping ooze away from himself. Alright. That was it, then. He’d retreat back with Jax and proceed carefully until he found a safer location.

    Maybe he’d find Wade along the way...

    Action: Pick Up Jax and Dip; Keep An Eye Out For Wade
     
    Aykorn, Rustic and Yin_ like this.
  19. VeryButter

    VeryButter Semi-Pro Squid

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    84
    NNID:
    EatALLTehCereal
    Magabelle nodded to Bethany as she got up from the table, having nothing to add to the conversation; she glanced around, trying to remember where the training hall was, then following Bethany's directions to the guest room.

    When she got to the room, she looked behind her for a moment before opening the door and walking in. Instead of going to sleep immediately, however, she figured that she would see what she could find in the room first, closing the door.

    Go To: Guest Room, Rifle Through: Stuff [w/ Wildcard x2]
     
    Hesoca and Yin_ like this.
  20. ReedRGale

    ReedRGale Inkling Commander

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2015
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    234
    @Aykorn
    Wade ==> Talk

    "Yeah... yeah, I'm good," Wade began, fluctuating a bit as he found the right tone. "Are... you okay?"

    Jax looked him up and down, around the house, and generally scanned the situation. He was back to himself and didn't seem anything like the person he had been in...
    that world. Was that was he was like with his parents or...

    "
    I'm. Okay? Enough," Jax said, word by word. "I remember what we were doing and what happened, to an extent. I presume you went through... something... similar? Something similar here?"

    Wow, Jax sounded really confused. Wade blinked, trying not to look so astonished.

    He gazed back at the scenery of his parent's house instead. His sister, the mirror, what could have been...

    "
    Yeah, you could say," Wade replied. "Memory's over though. It's just kind of a freeze frame of my parent's house."

    "
    I see. I... won't pry," Jax said, through clenched teeth. "I don't know what it is about this place but something about that dark tunnel was... unnatural. I tried calling out to you all as soon as the flashlights stopped working, but no one responded."

    "
    Do you believe it's something about the tunnel that brought us... here? Do you have any clues as to where here is?"

    ...Why
    this was happening?

    "
    I really, really don't know," Wade replied. "The unnatural darkness stopped as soon as I left this memory, and you were further up ahead in the tunnel."

    "
    As for where or what 'here' is? It's probably obvious...? But this isn't reality," Wade said. "Or at least physical reality happening right now."

    That's what he thought
    the mirror showed him anyway. Wade held his mirror down in front of him, glancing at the slightly different house in the reflection. On another hand, he had gotten stuck in the ooze earlier, and that was pretty physical and current. He... wasn't quite sure what he was seeing.

    "
    Not reality...?" Jax said, a confused look on his face but he nod nonetheless. "Alright, how do you know this isn't physical reality? And why do you think the darkness stopped? Speaking of which, if you returned to the tunnel, how did you get here?"

    "
    Iiiii....." Wade stalled as he deliberated on how to answer this all. "Ha, okay, first? ...I think I can see what reality should be," Wade said as he lifted up the hand mirror, "...in this mirror?"

    "
    And, not just that," he added. "I have a feeling for where people and exits should be in this space, like the way out of here for instance," Wade said, simply motioning to the front door.

    Wade laughed uneasily. "
    I'm not really sure how I'm doing this," he said quickly.

    He resumed with gushing out what he remembered. "
    You were... uh." Wade recoiled slightly and motioned for the words to describe the scene he saw. "Uuh, in a paranormal sludge coma?' --And I could see you so there wasn't darkness that wasn't natural-- so I went over to you and then..."

    Wade walked himself through that moment of putting his hand on Jax's shoulder. "
    The darkness was back, I focused on the mirror, I was here again, the front door went through to your memory..." Wade motioned that he really didn't get what he saw either. "Things."

    "
    I... see," Jax added incredulously. "I don't see any mirror there, but I trust that you're holding one. This space is pretty weird as it is. So, there's a mirror that tells you the truth of reality, besides actually just feeling it. Otherwise, I was unconscious in the tunnel, you focused, then you were..."

    Jax trailed off. "
    You were... we were... back... there." He looked away. "Can we leave? I know this isn't there anymore, but I don't want to think about that. This is still too... close. We can keep talking but I just don't want to..." he trailed off, pursing his lips.

    "Y-yeah," Wade said, looking away. He struggled with something to say in response. The way Jax trailed off was just ...disquieting.

    Wade didn't know what to say. He shouldn't have even been there. He really shouldn't have seen what he did.

    "
    Look don't..." Wade pursed his lips. Well, looked like he was still trying to say something anyway. "Don't worry too much about this. It was a mess here, too. And... and I won't--" Wade exhaled.

    "
    Yeah, okay," he said, waving off whatever tangent he started. "Let's... let's just leave," Wade said, turning to the door.

    "
    Yeah." Jax didn't make eye contact. For the first time ever, he didn't seem like he knew what to do. He didn't seem quite as strong or confident as usual.

    They were walking to the door when Jax asked, "
    ...how did you leave..." he trailed off before finding the right word. "Leave yours so quickly?"

    Wade paused and turned pale for a moment.

    'My sister handed me
    the mirror and told me how to leave.'

    Wade blinked. No, that wasn't what happened. Also he couldn't say that. Wade pressed his fist against his mouth, trying to line up his words correctly.

    ...In a way, how his memories altered had been kinder than Jax's. Even if it told him things that could never happen,
    --never, never happen-- he'd still known it all along.

    Wade knew, it just hurt to be reminded.
    It still hurt.

    Wade swallowed the lump rising in his throat and the feelings that pricked his eyes. He wanted to give Jax a good answer, at the very least.

    "
    ...My memories started explaining what already I knew about the situation after I... I asked. Because I stopped... trying to play along with the memory happening," Wade said.

    Jax was looking at the pictures, his actions not matching his words. "...I couldn't even tell what was happening. It was just this reliving that twisted into something worse and... it just hurts that I didn't even know."

    He turned to look Wade in the eyes. He wasn't crying. He looked like he was about to. But he wouldn't. Wade didn't know that because he had any sort of 6th sense. He just knew Jax enough to know he wouldn't. But he wanted to.

    "
    Wade, I was powerless. That hurts me. A lot," he finished.

    Deep ones no. Wade could feel his hearts basically splitting in two.

    Wade was distraught --his eyes were totally watering now. He understood that feeling powerless felt so, so bad.

    "
    I..." Jax began, then stopped. He looked Wade up and down, sighed, swallowed, then asked, pointing at one of the pictures, "was this your sister?"

    A trace of dread ran down Wade's spine. The wall photos.

    Wade's eyes flitted to the floor, trying to hide that he looked... scared.

    "
    Y-yeah," Wade answered.

    Jax's gaze seared. First the pictures, then Wade's eyes. He knew. He had to know, didn't he?

    He groaned. "
    I want to hurt you for this, but... maybe you're just better at handling your problems. It wouldn't be fair to berate you for that. I'm just... jealous. Probably. Come on. Let's go. This is leaving a foul taste in my mouth."

    This time he moved toward Wade and asked, "
    which way out, if you know it."

    Almost reflexively, Wade took a step back, unable to meet Jax's eyes. He was ...speechless again, but in a different way this time.

    So much had just happened so... There was no way Jax wouldn't be upset. This was just...

    "
    T-The front door," Wade sputtered. "Same way we came from."

    He couldn't grapple with the words he was supposed to say. What was the right thing? Was there a right thing? He knew it wasn't that simple, so then why did Wade feel so...

    "
    I should probably leave last..." Wade said, "i-in case this place collapses without me or something."

    "Yeah. That sounds like a good plan," Jax said, grimacing. He walked up to the door, then hesitated. Quietly, he added one word: "sorry."

    He passed through it. He was out.

    Wade staggered back then stood motionless, staring wide-eyed at the floor even though he was alone.

    Jax had left. Wade could feel he was the only one here with his new '
    reality sense'. It just took a moment to unstick himself. To wait for the static suddenly filling his mind to let enough of him go.

    ...All there was in the room was silence and some ticking of the wall clock, but Wade clenched his eyes shut and held his hands over his ears.


    Why?

    If he wasn't obsessed over old photos or broken headphones, or having delusions about running away to look for his missing sister himself, Wade was... ignoring it. He was keeping memories packed away in boxes where he couldn't see them, or just carrying on. Normally. Talking. Joking. Being fun and likable. Avoiding the pity preemptively.

    Wade opened his eyes, letting a few teardrops spill.

    What was he supposed to do? What else did anyone want from him?

    Wade stood in front of the door, holding himself and trying to wait for the unease to die down, but he knew he couldn't stay here forever. He had to leave, that was the point.

    Wade breathed deep, hastily wiped his eyes with his sleeve, and paced a circle to try to compose himself. It was only just enough, but Wade steeled himself for the return to reality, he then opened the door.

    @Hesoca
    Max ==> Pick Up Jax and Dip; Keep An Eye Out For Wade

    Jax was heavy, but it wasn't too hard for Max to haul him over his shoulder.
    Maneuvering was going to be harder, but that was a small price to pay for the safety of an ally.

    And so Max pressed forward. He wasn't a few minutes down the tunnel, sweating from two types of exertion, when Jax started coughing.

    At first he almost dropped him--the sudden change was surprising in the quiet of the tunnel--but that quickly changed to concern and excitement. Was he okay?

    Gently setting his partner down, Max watched as Jax coughed up
    globules of the black tar onto the ground, melting away some of the floor. Max set down his dynamo, preparing to do... something if Jax didn't wake but in time he opened his eyes.

    "Am I... back?" he asked. Max nodded and, from the darkness outside the barrier, Wade wandered through. Had he been wandering the darkness that whole time!?

    But... that didn't matter. Everyone was back. There were no casualties. They had beat the corruption or whatever this was. They had come out on top. Now all they needed to do was get out.

    @VeryButter
    Mag ==> Be a Terrible House Guest

    Like any proper RPG character, when entering a new room, Mag tears it apart for useful tools and money.

    > Rifling through a Room (Savvy + Dexterity)
    > No Modifiers.
    > Dice Pool: 8
    > Successes: 0 + 3 (Wildcard)


    Well, the room was clean for a little while, anyway. Mag tore through the place, tearing the sheets off the bed and throwing them to the ground haphazardly. When that yielded nothing, she flipped the mattress over and let it fall to the floor as well.

    Nothing.

    There was a cabnet in the room, wooden and ornately carved. Mag left no drawer unopened. Most were empty, however, she did find one that had toothpaste and an unopened brush. On top of the drawer was a little plate of mints. Mag stored them in the same invisible inventory as her stale gummies, adding +2 to her CANDY CACHE.

    We are rolling in dough now bois.

    There was nothing else of note in the room. No windows. Nothing under the bed. Not even paintings on the walls. So Mag turned to the floor itself.

    It was wooden boarding and clearly pry-able. And so... it must.

    Alas, Mag did not have a trusty CROWBAR on hand, so she had to give up on the action.

    And now you have a mess.

    @Banshee

    Alga has had a long day.

    ((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

    Will be Responded to in GM Post:
    Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
    Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
    Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
    Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
    Sleep [use this when there's nothing left you can do, logically, in the day]
    Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]
    Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
    Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
    Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]

    Will be Responded to Immediately:
    Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]
    Pick Up [use this action on something you want to hold onto]
    Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
    Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]

    Search For [use like examine but for things that may or may not be there]
    Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]
     
    Yin_ likes this.

Share This Page

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We know you don't like ads
Why not buy Premium?