• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

-Missing- IC Thread: RP Cast Filled

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
"Wade's here."

Yup. He was here. Just like agreed so Max didn't immediately run off to the tunnels.

Wade'd succeeded in stalling, but that was about as far as he had thought through to this point. His train of thought had been kind of derailed earlier when the silver mirror came back to him on its own. Talk about a rough ride? The mirror was back in his bike bags again, but Wade wasn't very confident it would stay there... for long.

He would have normally used more of the biking time to think about what he was going to say... but now?

Wade was already here. At the front door.

Okay! So he was a little unprepared. It's not like this 'discussion' was Wade's last chance to try to convince Max to not drag the both to the tunnels.

...Because it really wasn't anymore.

The plans he'd hashed out with Jax revolved around Max being too occupied to ask what Jax was up to... and Max seemed determined to head to tunnels anyway. That worked out. He also got the feeling that technically, if Wade wanted to bail he really could, but then Max would be wandering the tunnels regardless. So really...

Wade was unofficially resigned to this.

Well, that made things simple.

He took a slow inhale, mentally preparing himself for the door to open. Tunnel exploring... was happening. So they needed to talk out what they were doing. They needed a plan.

This would work out, Wade reminded himself, exhaling all the pent up nervousness.

Talk: Max

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Alga: Talk: The Word

"...D-Do you think I could go get it? Before this, I mean..."

"
˙noʎ ɹoɟ lɐᴉʌᴉɹʇ ǝq plnoɥs ʇᴉ 'sǝ⅄"

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Well, okay. That was as good a confirmation as any she was going to get, she guessed...

She picked up the hand mirror and inched towards the other that she had come barrelling out of just some half hour prior, giving it a hard stare before turning the one in her grip. The mental image for her gun came easily to her mind, a solid chrome color with the stylings of the tell-tale Aerospray with only a few differences in shape to set it apart from the rest. Old, but in remarkably good condition.

Alga really hoped the Octolings hadn't done away with it.

Look Into Mirror

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Alga: Look in Mirror

Alga could tell there was some distortion as she struggled with her feelings.
'What if the Octolings did something with it' mixed with 'what if it was gone forever' and 'oh god what would I tell grandpa' and the image flashed to represent those things. First cycling through the Octolings. Felix crying in his room, three figures she didn't recognize, Germana reading a book in the library, Brutus laying in bed, melting metal, compacting cars, her grandpa, and then, finally, she focused.

Gritting her teeth, she focused on the gun and all its details. And then, the image snapped to it. It was still in the room--the room that had been her's and...
Li-li...--but it didn't have a mirror. Mirror...

One mirror was in Brutus's room, many were in their bathroom, there was a room that was currently empty that had a mirror.

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
The sight of the base made the bile rise in her throat and she fought to swallow it with a frown on her face, guilt churning in her gut like acid. She had only been there yesterday and already it was teeming with memories she would much rather forget.

It was clear she wasn't going to be able to just enter her room. The entry point through Brutus' room was off-limits, and the empty room she didn't recognize. That left the bathroom. And yet... What if she got caught? They knew about her, but there were so many ways it could go wrong that she could already feel her hearts clenching. How would she explain? She couldn't tell them this...

The Word's advice came back to Alga and she chewed her lip. Reflections... The place was a little bit shiny at least, right? Maybe...

Inching closer to her dresser, she gave the mirror a hard stare before tentatively reaching out to touch its surface, the bathroom focusing in her mind as well as she could get it. Please let this go smoothly...

Go To: Octoling Base

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Alga ==> Go To…

Alga dipped her finger into the dresser mirror. It rippled like still water disturbed. Holding her breath, she crawled onto the dresser and plunged perpendicular.

Of course, meeting very little resistance she simply tumbled out into the mirror version of her room. She had hoped that she could go directly to the bathroom, but she supposed it wasn’t that simple. The Word gestured to her door and Alga obeyed. Gathering a mental image, she opened her bedroom door to her destination.

She walked in, the sound of her room’s hardwood floor giving way to the distinct clack of linoleum: the bathroom she had been looking for only a day ago. The reflected room was aligned opposite of reality. Right was left and left was right. But it was distinctly bland, a telltale sign of the facility.

Bland, it was, but that only made the black ichor spilling onto the floor all the more attention-grabbing. The sinks were overflowing, spigots opened wide, expelling the viscous bile into their receptacles and beyond. Alga fiddled with one of the knobs, but it was stuck on tight. There was no turning these off.

And really, it didn’t matter.
She wasn’t here to do that.

Ignoring the oddity, Alga climbed up on the sinks and gazed at her reflection in the mirror. This one was filled with her face, but g̬̱̰̣̙̗̭͡r͖͕̕i͟ṇ͙͚͍ͅn̘͙̱͝i͘n̟̤̞̪͙̮̪͔̫͈̹ͅ ̴̜̹̦͉͎a͉͜d͍̕y͙͕̰̰̹͇̟͚̦̳͇ ̵T̫̻̥̖͚̯͓h͕̹̝̹͍ȩ̲͉̠ͅ ̛̟̫̲̳̪̺ey̯̦͕ẹ̶̭̗̯ ͓͖̪̥͕̺̜̤̥̹ͅe̵̪̹̺̞̰ͅm̡̗̻̰̺͈d̗̟̻̙̘̫͉ ͇̻̙̪͈ͅt̲̜̮͇o͞ ̮b͖̦̪̠ḛ̹͈͠ ̷͕̱͍͖̬̪̬j̨͖͍te̛͖͎̼̜͚̫r̼̖̲̪͙͚̹͕̟̺̪̜͔͇n̮̠,̱̖̤͍͟ ̧̬͔̣̬̫̥͚o͏̦̭̭̬̪̪͍o̰̗̭̻̖̗ͅi̥̝̱̟n̲͚̼̭̱͇ǵ̩͉̲̯̘ ̝̳͓̭̮ͅţh̩i͙̩̲̤̬ ̥͖̣͖̖̪̞̮̘á͕̳̞̣y̳̻͖͔̜͉͙ ͖̹̦͈̯͙ḁ͇̜̥̼̮͕̯̝̬ͅd͚͍̤̘ ̴̤̟͕̖͔͖t̩͔̞͖̺͚̲͇ͅa̖̫,҉̯ ͈͓a͕͘n̙̟̮̕d̟̞ y̵͖͉ͅe̮̳̳̥̪̣t ͍̱̫̻a ̷̫̹̣c̗̤̗̘̯͙ṃ̙͚̩̖̼c̯͈̖̞ͅa͎̝̹͍̝̖͈l͚͕͉̤̙͖̫͉̺ ̤̳̻͝a̶̬̬̙̜̗̻̭̻g̜̯͙̯̙̖e̞̝ ̖͠gri͈̰̠̟͕͠n̝̞̭͍̦̞͠ ͚̦̜̭̟̤̗̣̦͚͚̀o̳̯̭͖̜̥v̵͕e̶͕̟r̴͚̪͙̗e̶̱͔d̷͖ ̯͇͔̖̼͓t̹̜̣̟͖͔̪͔̪͇̠̼̤ͅ ̶̯͓f̣̻̕a̩͍̥c̺è̤̱̯̹

Alga shivered. She’d have to pass through this to enter the bathroom. Silently, she wished it were the Word in this reflection.

Unnerved, but determined, Alga pushed her hand through. It met a little resistance, this time, like pressing into jell-o, but it did not stop her from pushing through and back into reality.

She crawled into the base, gently sliding off the empty, real, sink table and onto the dry, real linoleum. There was something heavier about reality, more solid. But she couldn’t place it.

And it didn’t really matter. She just needed to find the gun. How will you approach, Alga?

Jax ==> Ascend to JaxQuest2018

The two walked out the door, leaving Jax on his own. He grit his teeth.

It wasn’t just the ability to destroy. It was an urge. Now that they had left, he allowed himself to lean on the wall, actively keeping it in his mind to not erase the wall. Don’t. Erase. The wall.

He took a deep breath. Corruption, huh? Maybe Max wasn’t so mad after all.

But… if this was the the price to pay to change things, then so be it. Time waits for no man, and there was no time to learn to manage these newfound urges. He would have to learn to control it on the fly.

His eyelids closed briefly as her performed the meditative exercises that he made himself believe would help and pulled up the number that Wade had given him before. ‘Cato’ it was labeled.

He mused to himself about how far the Orphanage had come. They had a phone line now. What a world.

I hope they’re okay,” Jax muttered to himself.

Would that he could do something for the Squid Sisters, his seniors… and that was the ultimate goal. If they got to the bottom of this, then it would become clearer for what reason they had stolen away… or were stolen away perhaps.

And so, there was an appointment to make. Jax made his way to the ‘working sofa’ and lay back in it. The fatigue in his body cried out in relief and his mind begged him to not make the call. To just rest.

But he’d learned to ignore those voices years ago.

Tapping the icon on his phone, Jax began the call.

Call: Cato

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Everyone was in the same room now. Somehow, more tense than yesterday. They'd all experienced something unearthly and, in one way or another, came out changed.

No one seemed to want to break the silence once it was established, but finally, Jax began with, "I think you're right Max. After thinking it over, it's probably best if I don't go down to the tunnel, corrupted as I am."

"O-oh, I see," Wade noted, like he hadn't already known Jax has decided this. Like a liar.

It was starting to dawn on Wade that he had woven a tapestry of lies between the back and forth phone calls. Suddenly, he felt very transparent.

Hold on... Was he even supposed to know anything about today's plans yet?

"Uh, were you guys were, uh," Wade scratched the back of his head, blinking at the genuinely confusing turn of actions. "Were you guys talking about going back to the tunnel...?"

Something like that.” Max muttered to the phone in his hands, and very particularly not to Wade and Jax, whose presences he’d yet to acknowledge despite their intrusion. He held its light toward one of the holes lining the furniture, paused, and snapped a picture, then did the same to another hole, and another, just as he had done when Wade and Jax had entered, such that he seemed locked to a cycle of cataloguing.

He repeated this pattern for some time before stopping suddenly, his face to the wall opposite them. A minute passed. His phone slid into his pocket.

I don’t remember telling you not to go.” He said finally.

"You didn't. You're just not exactly quiet," he shrugged, looking away, dejected. "I... caught enough to get the idea."

Max casted a glare over his shoulder, turning such that his face was visible only by a crescent. The corners of his mouth twitched into a bitter grimace; parts of him shook as though unable to contain his rage.

He twisted to meet Jax, teeth-gritted, and, on the verge of outburst... ‘tched’ and shrugged, gathered his things, pushed past Jax and Wade and hurried out into the foyer.

Well,” he sneered, his voice rising as he disappeared down the hallway, “Guess I don’t have to repeat myself. We’ll catch you after your meeting, then...!”

A minute past in uncertain silence. Finally, Max popped his head around the corner, the duffel on his back swinging wildly as he did.

So, uh...” he glanced toward Wade, “You coming or what, kid?

"...Hah?" Wade blinked, gripping his goggles.

He'd almost been sure Max would see through that ruse or at least semi-explode from what Jax had said. True, most things had already been decided from the phone calls so...

"...I guess?" he asked, rather than stated.

Wade took a confused, cursory glance over the room again. Not that he hadn't been staring at it the whole conversation. 'Cause most of the sofa was gone and there were actual holes in the floorboards.

Yeah, this room was swiss cheese. Just another fact he had to suddenly accept, just like Max leaving right now.

It took Wade a moment to formulate a coherent sentence.

"Like... like right now?" Wade asked, starting to sound a little distressed. " Weren't we at least going to come up with a game plan? ...Can I at least grab the bamboozler?"

The Bamboozler?” Max snapped, “What, did you lose the weapons I-

"I'll go get that," Jax interjected, leaving the two to their devices.

"Thaaanks," Wade called back to Jax.

Max stopped himself with a sigh and leaned against the wall.

...Yeah, sure.” He muttered. “You can get the Bamboozler. We can talk about the plan. I mean, shell, I thought we had a plan,” and he drew it out in the air, “‘Go through the tunnels, find the ruins, fry the corruption.’ But sure, let’s talk.

He crossed his arms with an impatient huff. “So, what’s your plan?

"Jeez, I didn't lose your charms by the way," Wade said. "They're in my bag outside."

Wade peered at Max oddly for a second. Not that he lost them in the first place, but didn't Max say he was going bash his head in for losing those weapon charms? That was weirdly patient, but he wasn't going to question it.

"Also, I don't know exactly what we're 'frying'," Wade airquoted, "but the best thing we can do is figure out why those tunnels even exist."

"Because they shouldn't be there, and they were recently drilled," he point out, "and finding out the reason might do more good then going in and breaking a bunch of stuff we don't know about. ...Y'know?"

Max’s gaze narrowed into a perplexed squint that suggested he did not.

...We know why the tunnels are there.” He said, dead-faced, “The Octolings drilled them. Same as all the others.

"N-no?" Wade responded. "Okay yes, probably."

"But the key here is why," he clarified. "It doesn't make sense why there are tunnels here when it's so far from Octo Valley. There must be a specific use for these tunnels because no ones running costly, large machinery for 'funsies'."

Wade put his fist down in his palm. "So what we try to do is figure out what the overall plan for the tunnels are," he said.

...Okay.” Max muttered, folding his arms again. “Then what’s the plan?

"Uhh," Wade stammered.

He actually didn't have a plan. Like an real one, as opposed to 'lets not die right away.' Wade just didn't want to head down there, guns blazing like an idiot.

"Uuh we should try... to not break... all the things," Wade said hestitantly. "In fact, just not do anything noticeable... at least until we plan to leave."

Like... quieting large drills," Wade muttered guiltily, before clearing his throat.

"There were a few paths we didn't take earlier. As long as we stay unnoticed, we can keep investigating. Maybe... eavesdrop or figure out where the tunnels lead," he suggested.

‘Keep investigating the old tunnels...’” Max repeated, a contemplative gleam shining behind his mask. He fell into a thoughtful pause marked by the occasional cowlick-flick.

In his head, he traced their route through the tunnels. There were... two routes, perhaps, that they hadn’t examined. The first led opposite from their path by the broken drill — the one at the beginning of their journey — while the second followed the path of the Greek letters and—

...Wait. That was right. There were more of those strange symbols leading into the light down the other path. Clean cut, too, from what Wade had said. And that part of the tunnel... it wasn’t too far from where they’d been trapped.

A shadow fell over Max’s face. If those symbols were the same as the ones that had corrupted Jax, then that meant the culprit was nearby, didn’t it...?

Yeah...” Max said, an ominous smile curling up his face. “Yeah, I can get by that. We’ve got some unfinished business with that trail of symbols, after all.

He hucked his Dynamo over his shoulder, beaming. “Heh, I’m game for it. You’ve got the rest of your stuff prepared, right? ‘Cause I’m ready when you are.

Wade immediately gave a quick nod, accompanied by a slightly alarmed smile.

What was that sinister grin that just flashed over Max's face? H-he... was agreeing with the 'don't break everything' idea, so this was a success, right? They were agreeing to investigate instead of causing random property damage so...

Wade gave a small inhale. He had totally forgotten that there was a whole other line of symbols going in the other direction.

He really really didn't want a repeat of last night, having to dive into someones headspace to save them. Especially whatever hellscapes Max's was. But... he also wanted to explain the incident from last night even less. Wade didn't want to discuss the occult and suddenly press his luck when he had achieved this weird moment of harmony so...

Wade exhaled. "I think I just need the bamboozler, and maybe a flashlight," he said, "and we're good... to go!"

Alright.” Max nodded, “Grab what you need and catch me outside when you’re done.

Once again he disappeared down the hallway with the sound of the door...

...and moments later popped back into foyer.

Jax’s journal.” He said, with no explanation but a point to where Jax had last stood. “We need a copy of what he wrote down.

Jax, standing behind Max, said "so long as it's only a copy."

Walking up to Wade he handed him the Bamboozler, then reached into his vest. Pulling out his journal, he flipped to the pages he recorded the symbols. Holding it up, he said, "take a picture. But be careful. It's possible these symbols have power. We're dealing with the unknown here, after all."

Wade took the bamboozler, then glanced at the notebook held in front of him.

"Ah. Gotcha," he said, momentarily holding the bamboozler under his arm. Wade quickly pulled out his phone, focused the image, then snapped a picture.

With the photo taken, Wade stashed his phone and... got a better look at the notes Jax had taken.

Jax's notes, as usual, were a clean font denoting simple sketches of the symbols they had seen yesterday. They invoked a feeling of unease through the disturbing memories of yesterday.

They now had the notes from yesterday, weapons, all that good stuff... So they were ready, right? He was ready, right?

Wade took one last moment to steel himself. "Okay, if that's everything then... let's get this over with," he said.

The two said their goodbyes to Jax and made their way to the closest entrance that they knew of to the tunnels… back to the train station.

The dodging under the police caution tape was a constant reminder to Wade what they were doing was illegal… they were trespassing on a potentially dangerous site. If people had begun to inspect the tunnels’ damage or were beginning to rebuild the train, the two of them would be sitting ducks.

What would they say? What would they do? What were they even trying to find? Why were they here? Why was he, specifically him, even here?

These anxious thoughts filled each tentative step forward through the dark, musty air until they were finally there. The steep drop into the truer darkness below.

What now?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
"Ah, sorry One!" Pausing a moment, Mag added, "wait. How did we bump heads?"

"I-I...Ow..." One got up from the ground, sitting with his legs to the side. "I...I've never s-seen another person u-up close b-besides... Mom. Is all."

He got up uncomfortably close to Mag. "S-sorry. C-can I touch your face?"

"Oh,"" Magabelle said, blinking at him. She reeled back slightly when he got too close, though proceeded to say ""...sure,"" without actually being sure.

"Th-thanks..." and he began to rub her face. Not particularly gentle. Not particularly harsh.

"It's weird. When I tough my own f-face, I f-feel it. B-but you h-have the same feel, but I don't f-feel th-the touch."

Magabelle's expression shifted to one of mild discomfort as One proceeded, but she continued letting him do it.

"...That's because you're touching my face," she stated. "You won't feel it if you aren't the one being touched..."

"O-oh..." One said, as if now the obvious was actually obvious. "I... I see."

He... didn't quite seem to understand, and continued anyway.

"...wh-why do p-people feel d-different things?"

Magabelle simply shrugged. "Heck if I know."

"...g-glad I'm not alone o-on that," One said, sighing in relief. "M-mom always s-s-seems so conf-fident. A-and so do y-you!"

He stopped touching Mag's face and began to walk toward the wall. Soon he was leaning on it, as if the act of physical contact had drained him of all energy.

"Is... is it true you were going to s-storm in? A-alone? I-into the Valley?" he said, speaking into the wall.

Magabelle took a second to respond due to her slight inability to hear One.

"Probably," she said, rubbing her face a bit. "I mean. I don't know what's down there, but I doubt there's anything that's more life threatening than the Octarians, and if I don't provoke 'em..."

"I-I don't know... Th-there's so much s-stuff out there!" One remarked, his cheek squished to the wall. Leaning at a weird angle, his body was beginning to slide down. "S-some of it is cool! L-like... m-music? But o-o-other things... a-are terrifying. But... not knowing... is the s-scariest thing... I think."

"That sounds like some quote I read once," Magabelle mused, leaning forward and resting her head on her hand. She looked to One, mildly concerned. "...You're probably gonna hurt your neck like that."

"Squids don't have bones," One remarked, now completely a puddle on the floor. "I s-squish."

"...Right."

One, now firmly flopped on the floor said, "ah, right. I-I should l-l-let mom know you're up. She told me to let her know when you got u-u-up."

He made no indication that he was going to move though.

Magabelle waited a few moments for him to initiate the action, but when he didn't, she raised an eyebrow. "...Okay?"

"I-I don't want t-to get up," he stuttered. "I-it's comfortable here."

"Well you're not gonna get anywhere if you don't," Magabelle responded, then rested her eyes on her discarded shoes. She fished them from the floor and shoved her feet into them with some amount of difficulty, then stood up. She looked to One to see whether he was still planning to sit on the floor or not.

"That's... t-true," One said, slowly. After a minute he got back up. "W-waking up is hard th-though. Especially at th-this time. B-b-b-b-but mom said that we n-need to 'get g-going as soon a-as physically p-possible.'"

"Alright," Magabelle responded, then simply walked out of the room herself, not waiting for him.

"W-wait!" One stuttered, as he caught up. "I-I was coming..."

The two walked down the hall to Bethany's room. They were hardly through the open door when she called out to them. "Good morning. Let's get straight to business. Are you still sure you want to do this?"

"Yeah. Unless I find something that leads me away from the valley," Magabelle said, as if it was rather simple.

She sighed. "Alright, so I would like to lay out for you that there are at least ten accounts of individuals presumably lost in Octo Valley a year. The government has no sway over there as we signed off that territory as the Octarian's. As such, Deepview can attack you at any point when you're there, not to mention brigands and thieves. But I doubt that's going to stop you."

Beth got up and began to pace. "Their economy is terrible and their cities and settlements are known to be scattered. I only know a little, but I know that their nobility live on the remnants of floating islands and domes used during the Great War, while the lower classes live on the bottom. Do you have any idea where Alga would be in all of that? Or where you might even want to start?"

Magabelle paused, then slowly shrugged. "An inkling would be odd there, right? And her ink is even odder. Asking around would be my first thought."

"And how do you plan to go and talk to the locals?" Beth asked, incisively. "I bet she'd stick out if she walked around in public, but if she did, she's likely dead. Illegal Inkling immigrants aren't exactly liked, there is no legal way to become an Valley citizen, and the government can't protect anyone who goes there."

The mother shot a glare that pierced One and Mag. "Do you have any idea why she's there in the first place?"

Magabelle almost froze at Beth's gaze. Then, she crossed her arms and averted her eyes. "No..."

"Any idea where we can get that information?"

She paused, thinking for a moment. "...The guy in the squid sister's house? Or Spyke," she suggested, but then shook her head. "Nah, the guy wouldn't work..."

"Why wouldn't he 'work?'"

"'Cause I attacked him and he also splatted me," she explained, then sighed. "I got a warning from him too."

"There's only one of him, no? If we scope it out, make sure he hasn't gotten any backup," Beth said, walking past the two in the doorway, "we could have a 'friendly chat' and learn more."

Magabelle's eyes kept focused on Beth as she went past them, then raised an eyebrow. "I guess that works."

Beth opened the door to the weapons room and pulled out a belt with a small, spherical device attached and a holster for a pistol. With one quick movement she strapped it on. Then, grabbing a gun that seemed to be the same model as Mag's she asked, "after we know more about where we're going, then we can make foolhardy decisions."

"U-uh, mom," One added, "I-i-isn't th-this f-f-f-foolhardy?"

She walked up to the small inkling, and ruffled his hair. "Yes. Come on, let's go. There's only so much daylight."

Beth hid her gun in her coat as they walked outside, One trailing behind Mag as they silently made their way to the Squid Sister’s house.

The autumn air gave a chilly, dead tone to the neighborhood. Most were asleep in the early morning, with only a few stragglers walking through the dawnlight.

Mag was shivering, she realized. Each breath was a harbinger of the coming frost and had already begun to turn the tips of her fingers to living icicles.

She hoped this wouldn’t take long. She had a guitar teacher to find.

...Plus she wasn’t really looking forward to another meeting with Suitless-Tieless.

One seemed to share the sentiment as they marched, looking this way and that… either curious or nervous. Probably both. There was a lot around to make one curious or nervous.

Electricity was still out in major parts of the town. Power lines were still blocking major sections of roads and vacant streetlights flashed with trepidation, waiting for cars that weren’t driving on cragled streets.

And on a particularly ruined, familiar street, the group stopped. The Squid Sister’s house. What’s the plan?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Each passing minute spent in this limbo seemed only to exacerbate the sense of regret she felt agreeing to any of this at all. Sneaking around hoping not to be caught was bad enough for her nerves, but the fluid and...that /mirror/...

Alga had no idea what she was doing.

She kept her breath held as she tiptoed towards the door leading out of the bathroom, ears straining for any noise at all that might tip her off to the presence of others. Gripping the handle with uncertain fingers, she pulled as lightly as she was able and nearly felt her organs jump into her throat at the slight squeak of the hinges.

Peeking her head out, Alga felt a pressure weighing her down with the exposure into the unknown. Well aware of the rsks, she glanced about quickly, ready to make a run for it at a moment's notice. She had to see where she was..

Examine: Hallway

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Alga ==> Examine: Hallway

Her senses were on fire. Alga couldn't help but worry that someone might chance the hall as she poked her head out. It wasn't helping that her mind kept looping the nag.

The Word was watching from the bathroom mirror and smiled at Alga, as if to reassure her. Hesitant, she managed to push the door open, slowly, her nerves firing with every minor squeak of the hinge.

> Examine (Savvy)
> No Modifiers
> Dice Pool: 12
> Successes: 3

The hallway was as she remembered it. The porous, rectangular, metal tiles were tessellated, weaving together a study, hollow floor. She set a tentative step out. Unfortunately, even without footwear, any step seemed to jostle a chain reaction of minute clangor. She was sure it wasn't serious. Just a small noise. And yet, it felt like she was calling to death.

It didn't help that there wasn't anywhere to hide. The hallway spanned far out in two directions, with florescent lights chasing away any friendly shadows. There was no end in sight to the right, but there, somewhere, was her shared room and firearm. To the left, the door to the living room sat. A room where just yesterday she and Brutus had watched cartoons together. Was that really just a day ago?

A day? A minute? An eternity? It didn't matter. She had to get her weapon and go. The doors were all aligned from the side she was on so... maybe if she pressed her back to the cold, seamless steel wall, she could hide behind a door were it to open? But if they happened to turn in her direction, well...

Really this seemed like luck... there wasn't much room to hide.

She was about to poke her head back in when she noticed the black spot. On the ceiling, in the distance to the right, was a black dot. She didn't need to make out its features much to know that this was likely a camera, with a protective casing to make it difficult to tamper with... and to tell which direction it was facing.

That notwithstanding... if they were recording these hallways...
were they searching for her? Were they worried about her? For the love of all things Deep... but she wasn't their responsibility... they couldn't see her as...

Images of the Octarians fighting to save Lili flashed through her mind and her thoughts stopped dead in their tracks.

Flatly, she pulled back into the bathroom.
The Word looked sad.

What now?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Jax ==> Call: Cato

The phone rang only twice before quickly being picked up.

"Hello, this is the Orphanage," came a a dry voice from the other end. "State your business."

Wade had told him that they had seemed wary of discussing too much on the phone. So Jax let that paranoia pick his words.

"You spoke with my associate earlier," Jax began, choosing carefully, yet effortlessly. "We wanted to confirm the time of the meeting and are already aware of the location."

"Excellent. Our de facto leader will be pleased that this is happening sooner than later. What time would you consider most convenient?"

"Actually," Jax added, "I was hoping that I'd be able to talk to your 'de facto' directly."

There was a pause on the other end.

"I think he'd prefer to meet in person, rather than discussing matters over the phone."

He?

"It doesn't need to be about more than the meeting. I simply wish to hear their voice." 'Their...' No need to alert them to their own slip-up.

A shorter, more decisive silence.

"I'll ask."

The sound of boots on metal heralded his departure. A minute passed and the phone was picked up abruptly. "Who are you!? What is your affiliation!?"

...a feminine voice. Jax was openminded, but presumed this wasn't the 'de facto'. Call it intuition but 'raving lunatic' did not strike him as 'leader potential.'

"Who are you? What is your affiliation?" he returned.

"Agatha Kind, genius--self-styled--and mad scientist, determined to unearth the evils and corruption plaguing the world!"

Ah. Okay, so their prisoner. Potentially a useful source of information. Potentially. Still he could almost feel her heavy breathing through the phone receiver. It was as if she didn't know how the device worked. Or maybe she just didn't call people often. Either way, her odd nature and introduction made it clear that it would be... queer... for her and Max to meet.

"Are you the 'de facto leader?'" Jax asked, fully aware of the absurdity of this question.

"Of these people!? Nonononono... I work alone you see!"

Jax remembered the 3chan post. 'Work alone?' or 'No one will work with me?'

"Why did you pick up the phone?"

"Bore--well because I figured you'd be lonely if I left you here waiting. Cato didn't even put you on hold!" A name to a voice. This girl was a source of information, but Jax feared that she might let slip something that she shouldn't if he didn't keep her occupied.

He was about to think of some way to direct the conversation away from anything sensitive when a familiar voice shouted out 'Oi!'

The phone was promptly pulled away from the eccentric--with some complaint--and replaced with another, more familiar weirdo.

"'ello, welcome ta Pizza Parlo' where we piss in yer marinara and don't give ya what ya orda'," the Octarian advisor began, "You, surely bein' aware o' all dis, are appreciated and we 'umbly ask ya wot the bloody shell ya wan'?"

Unmistakable.

Felix was a jerk, no doubt, and hard to get along with at the best of times, but his directions were peerless. "I'll make this quick," Jax began.

"Oi. Oi oi oi. Wai'. Oy know ya from somewhere. That infuriatin'ly cold tone--"

"When I visit I need to know about the cult--"

"Curt. Overly businesslike--"

"The meaning of 'corruption,' if you know it--"

"Snobbier than me--"

"And the current state of government--"

"Right! You're--"

"Stop," Jax interjected. "Prying ears."

"Right," Felix remembered, his sudden shock melted away back to annoying snark. "so we were gonna discuss times? Can you meet in two hours?"

"Consider it done," Jax replied, smiling. "I have to prepare, so I'll take my leave. And I don't want to hear your voice any longer than I have to."

"Ey! Wot--"

Jax hung up.

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
The plan?

Magabelle thought Bethany's somewhat loose plan to be fine--walk in the door, threaten the guy for info, then leave.

Maybe she'd be more intimidating if she had four gun.

With a somewhat flimsy resolve, she simply began walking to the back of the house and navigating to the back door. She briefly wondered if the suitless dude had locked it again, but disregarded that for now.

• Go To: Back Door Of Squid Sister's House •

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Alga took a moment's pause to stare blankly at the far wall of the bathroom before slumping against the door with a hard exhale. Her frame shook just barely as she leaned her weight up against the barrier, mind cycling through the image of the camera with a growing sense of dread.

Had it seen her? It was a distance away, so she wasn't able to tell exactly how it was angled, but Squid, if it had _seen_ her...

...Not this way, then... But she recognized the hallway a little bit, at least, and had a vague idea of the direction in which her room sat. This was so hard...

Something tickled in the back of Alga's mind. An image of the other world's room flashed in her mind, The Word's voice sounding in her ears. Travelling by mirror was the easiest way. But...

"...Did you say I could leave at a-any time...? Earlier...?"

It was worth a shot asking, at least.

Talk: The Word

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade turned on his flashlight as they entered the underground darkness, now for a second excursion in a row.

He still only had a loose idea of where they were going. Max and him agreed to 'keep investigating' though so naturally they'd find where they left off yesterday, and then from there, they'd choose... where to go. Everything else had already been recorded or seen so, it was the path with the drill or the floodlights. Or something totally out of the left field, because 'expect nothing,' Wade thought, cautiously walking though the first stretch of the tunnel.

Investigation-wise, they'd probably cover more ground heading down the other fork. The more underground covered, the closer they got to understanding these tunnels. Hopefully. So towards the floodlights was the smartest way to go.

And yet ...a dread squirmed in Wade that made him want to just go back or wander in circles already treaded. He didn't want to see what else would rear its ugly head in the unexplored depths of these tunnels!

Was this really what they should be doing? Wade thought anxiously. If last night was anything to go off of, this was clearly a bad ideaᵀᴹ, and yet here they were anyway, down in the supposedly 'supernatural' tunnels. It could go as bad as yesterday did. It could be worse. They could get caught by sentries. Or a drill clearing away debris could head towards them. Or the runes--

Ngghhh.

Wade tried his best to smother his overbubbling thoughts. He couldn't be losing his cool this far into the day. Did the mirror suddenly appearing spook him that much?

It... definitely wasn't just that. It just felt like he didn't know what to expect anymore with this sudden occult nonsense. Not from the tunnels, not from the people around him, not from these abilities...

The mirror, the sense...

Harmless or useful, Wade didn't really have a decent clue about what he could tell with them. Reality?? Was that it? And it wouldn't be a good idea to figure them out now. At least not in front of Max.

Wade could just... pretend not to see the mirror. No dropping into the world from yesterday either. Really, that was the key. Get along with Max as much as possible and don't suddenly reveal the... the whatever he could do.

Wade could manage that. Right?

"So, are we... taking the other path that we split from yesterday?" Wade asked Max.

Go To: Fork in the Tunnels

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Mag ==> Go To: Back Door Of Squid Sister's House:

It wasn't locked.
It had only taken a moment to get from the front to the back and to open the sliding, glass door she was now firmly acquainted with.

Mag took a deep breath to steel herself, then, tightly grasping her weapon she took a bold step in.

> Reaction (Savvy + Dexterity)
> No Modifiers
> Dice Pool: 8
> Successes: 3

Something was wrong. Only a split second passed and Mag was certain that she was forgetting something.

It all happened in an instant.

A perilous chirp of an alarm. Her body reacting on instinct. A clumsy dodge backwards as a massive explosion of teal ink and pressure deluged from the ceiling. It splashed Mag's legs. It burned. It was a different burn different from the sting of ink alone. This was meant to do permanent damage.

> Mag took 6 damage! 15 [base] - 3(3 [successes])

"
I have rigged that entrance this time," a businesslike tone, echoed through her memories. "If you take more steps further, it will kill you." Mag shuddered to think what would have happened if she had been directly under that.

Her knees were shaking as Beth rushed up to her. "
Are you okay?" she asked, worried but not panicked, "can you stand?"

Mag was on the ground. She hadn't realized.
She nodded and stood up.

There was a ringing now. An alarm. A persistent alarm. A house alarm, Mag realized dully. The bomb not only went off, but was making an incredibly loud sound that pierced through the whole block.

"
Wh-what do we do?" One asked, panic rising in his voice. "D-do we keep g-going? O-o-or?" With that last tentative word he squatted nervously to the ground, and looked to his mother.

His mother looked to Mag.

Hesoca

Full Squid
“Would seem like it,” Max replied, his gaze unfaltering from the sweeping beam of his flashlight. He said nothing of the corruptive force that had been following them as they deepened, nor the grip it had on his chest, such that he felt on the verge of breath with every step they made.

He peered down the slope, watching as the beam frayed and then faded into the imminent darkness. The air around them bore the stench of tainted particulates, and he could see them fitting, numerous and wild, in the corners of his darting vision. Past this point, they would be led into miasma, left to the mercy of the underworld and those that lived down there. A part of him wished for some other solution — there had to be another way to find these letters, right? — yet the other was resolved to progression. Jax’s condition was only worsening; the holes in the furniture were proof. Action was necessary, even if there was no good action to take.

His mind conjured the image of Jax’s broken form, and he swallowed, glancing at Wade. It’d been selfish of him to allow the kid to help, he knew; Wade had been subjected to the same traps he and Jax had fallen into, and it was by luck that he hadn’t been corrupted as dangerously as Jax had. Nonetheless, Max needed... no, that wasn’t right. He didn’t need Wade’s help; he could fight the corruption on his own. But he wanted it, perhaps. It meant he had a sidekick, a thing to harken to the days of his own crew.

If anything, it meant he wasn’t alone.

“You’ve got the letters, yeah?” Max said, and pointed to the tunnel walls, “If we see anything like what’s in that book, we’re gonna follow it, sketchy lights or not.”

And when we find whoever wrote them, we’re gonna beat their fryin’ skulls in, he thought bitterly, ...even if they don’t have skulls.

Go To: First Sign of Cryptic Letters

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Jax ==> Go To: Meeting Place

Well now, this brought back memories. Jax found himself in the sewers of Inkopolis... what had become almost a second home to him after he'd left. If your goal was to get to Octo Valley, from the piping it was hard to mess up. All entrances ultimately led there. Sick as that may be, there were different exit points, so it was important to know where you were going and not get lost in the stench.

Seeing as he didn't have his prime gear anymore, nor a way to easily claim it, Jax suited himself with his .96 Gal Deco and modified bomb generator.
He felt out of his depth without his gear, but reminded himself two things were different: this time he had experience and now he had a trick up his sleeve.

As he emerged from the final grating,
Jax lamented how cautious he had become. Or had he always been this way? Nonetheless, that he was worried and armed even though these were supposed to be allies perturbed him.

He tried to reassure himself.
It was best to be armed in the Valley. Even if the areas had been abandoned for some time there was always a chance of a patrol. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, after all.

He wasn't wholly convinced, but it was enough to stop thinking about it.

The old shack the Cap'n had erected still stood defiantly in its place, little, handcrafted zapfish plushies piled one on top of the other. Jax smiled in spite of himself.
Nostalgic.

Instead of rushing straight to the meeting place as he had planned, he instead grabbed for one of the plushies... or tried.
He'd forgotten to reign himself in. Where he'd pulled back his hand, there was, instead, exposed foam innards. He frowned.

Area 1 wasn't a difficult place to get to and now that the secret inner area had been revealed, it seemed obvious. The ink rail was much simpler to climb now that he didn't have multiple people of different colors, and Jax made good time.

He looked around at the tunnel. A tunnel in a military base's bathroom linked through two hops of different teleportation devices. Only the Deep Ones knew where he really was. He grimaced,
praying this wasn't a trap.

He lamented his caution.

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Alga ==> Talk: The Word

"...Did you say I could leave at a-any time...? Earlier...?"

"˙ǝʞᴉl p,noʎ ǝɯᴉʇ ʎu∀" the Word wrote on the bathroom mirror. "˙sǝᴉʇᴉlᴉqɐdɐɔ ɹnoʎ puoʎǝq ɟlǝsɹnoʎ ɥsnd oʇ ɹo ɯɹɐɥ oʇ ǝɯoɔ oʇ noʎ ɥsᴉʍ ʇou plnoʍ I"

She sighed, inaudible, but visible in the larger mirror. "˙suoᴉsᴉɔǝp ɹnoʎ ʇɔᴉpǝɹd ɹou ǝʞɐɯ ʇouuɐɔ I ʇnq 'sƃuᴉlǝǝɟ ɹnoʎ puɐ uoᴉʇɐʇᴉsǝɥ ɹnoʎ ǝsuǝs uɐɔ I ˙uoos ʍouʞ ǝɯ ʇǝl p,noʎ ɟᴉ ɹǝɟǝɹd p,I 'uoᴉʇɐɔol sᴉɥʇ ǝʌɐǝl ǝsᴉʍɹǝɥʇo ɹo 'uoᴉssᴉɯ sᴉɥʇ ʇᴉǝɟɹoɟ oʇ puǝʇuᴉ noʎ ɟI ˙ǝɔuǝssǝ ǝɥʇ ɟo sᴉ ǝɯᴉʇ ʇnq"

"I-I'm trying to figure out how to get down there," Alga's voice took on a tone distress, her brow furrowing as she looked at the door. "There's a security camera... I can't run past it without it seeing me, a-and the only other place with a mirror I can see is that...room."

She swallowed, levelling The Word with a look. "...I-I need to at least try... I-If I could just... I don't know, warp there..."

"˙ɯǝɥʇ ʎq pǝʇᴉɯᴉl ǝɹɐ noʎ sɐ ɥɔnɯ sɐ sǝᴉʇᴉlᴉqɐ ɹnoʎ ʎq pǝɹǝʇsloq ǝɹɐ no⅄" The word said, indirect as always. "¿ƃuᴉʍouʞ ɟo ʎɐʍ ʎuɐ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ op ¿noʎ ʇɐ ƃuᴉʞool ɐɹǝɯɐɔ ǝɥʇ sI"

Her brow furrowed, but she made no comment, choosing to address the question instead with a reply of uncertainty. "I-It's a hallway. A long one. Even if it didn't face me, going down the hall, i-it would see me running by anyway..."

"¿ʇᴉ ʎq unɹ oʇ pǝǝu noʎ op"

"...Y-Yes, I think so. There are some doors on my side, but...I don't know where they lead..."

...She could try to see them, but... Would that even work? She had nothing to go off of except a door...

"¿ǝɹǝɥ ʎɹɐssǝɔǝu ʎʇuᴉɐʇɹǝɔun sI" the Word said, seemly leading somewhere with this. "¿sɹoop ǝɥʇ ʞɔǝɥɔ ʎɥM"

"I...I don't know..." Did the Word want her to go ahead and try? If not the doors, then maybe trying to think about the rooms behind them could work...?

As if sensing her thoughts... no. Definitely sensing her thoughts, the Word smiled warmly. "˙ʇᴉ ʇǝƃ oʇ ƃuᴉʇɹɐʇs ǝɹ,no⅄"

There was a quiet pause as Alga's eyes widened just marginally, taking in the Word's expression with surprise twitching across her own. Then, just for a moment, she smiled, and things felt just the slightest bit easier to deal with.

"Thanks..."

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Wade and Max ==> Go Forth

Sometimes in life, when facing a danger the second time the fear dulls.
Other times, the knowing make the terror all the more poignant.

Wade and Max walked down the cavernous tunnel, taking care not to trip on the gentle incline. Wade couldn't help but count their footsteps. Two sets. Two steps in stride. A third, reassuring set
nowhere to be found.

Max was shining his light like an erratic, glowing eye. Maybe it was his imagination, but he
couldn't help but feel like he was being watched. But no matter how he looked, there was no one.

After a time he stopped and simply shined it forth. He couldn't show weakness in front of the kid.

A clatter!

Both boy's jumped. Who? The sound echoed throughout the tunnel. From behind! From in front? Where? Their lights shone this way and that illuminating the
dead runes that lined the whole tunnel's ceiling.

For a tense minute, their weapons were poised to attack any intruder! One tense minute. But nothing.

What had it been? A stone? Maybe. Something falling. Neither of them knew. Wade turned to Max and gave him
an uneasy smile. Max returning a more convincing grin. Neither fooled the other.

Either way, they moved forward.

After a time as inscrutable as the sanctum they walked, they found the fork. It stood, an abrupt shift from the gentle curve. But that wasn't the only oddity it presented: this time, the runes on the ceiling were lit to the gaping entrance. And with it, came
an unwelcome reminder.

For Max, the path they took yesterday was filled with
a blackness only penetrated by the profane glyphs defacing the tunnel. Like dark stars lighting a hollow night. To continue down the curve would be to avoid the shadows.

For Wade, however, the other path seemed the obvious choice. They hadn't gone down it yet, and that was what they had come for.
He did not see the darkness. There was no distortion.

They traded a glance.

Last edited:

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Magabelle's stand was more of a scramble, and she didn't even try to silence her breathing. Her eyes flitted around, and more panic set in as the alarm blared in her ears, nearly drowning out One's question.

...People were going to find out they were here from the noise. Because of the stupid bomb and alarm, that she didn't realise was there.

Magabelle really had to listen better.

"...We're going to alert people we don't want to if we stay," she said. She took a breath. "But I don't know what to do..."

Talk(?): Bethany, One

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom