• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

-Missing- IC Thread: RP Cast Filled

Hesoca

Full Squid
“Getting out” was the most logical solution to the whole ordeal. After all, the gang was back, Jax was alive, and Wade had miraculously appeared from the aether just in time to prove Max’s prior dipping faultless. All that was left in the tunnels were dangerous secrets and the corruption; there was no reason to dally.

Nonetheless, Max stopped short. His thoughts filled with questions; two in particular battled to take shape. The first, to Jax: “Are you okay?” The second, to Wade: “How did you get here?”

Thus when he turned to Wade to ask one, the result became something along the lines of:

“HOW THE FRY ARE YOU OKAY?!”

For a moment, he paused, wide-eyed and sharp-gazed. A part of him was relieved that Wade was fine; the other mortified that he’d wasted his worries on someone in such good health. How the shell wasn’t he coughing up ooze like Jax was?!

He frowned, and, noticing that his panic was palpable, quickly converted it into anger.

“...Tch," he hissed “Where the fry were you hiding this whole time?!”

Shout at/Talk: Wade

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade casually stepped out from the darkness of the 'in-between space,' to the darkness of the tunnel. He took a deep breath, letting his eyes adjust to the dim scene. Max and Jax were just a bit ahead.

The sludge was gone. Jax looked awake. Wade exhaled a small breath of relief. He didn't really know what he could say to Jax right now, --if anything-- but... at least this whole stunt worked and Jax was okay.

Max was also there, more upright and animated from last time where, riiight, Wade had shined a flashlight in Max's eyes and then left. So it was kind of a surprise to see him here, too.

...Well, Wade would have gone back for him, so this was simpler, riiight?

It hadn't even been two seconds and Wade was already feeling awkward about both people he had to approach. He slowly moved forward, giving a loose wave.

Max turned to him:

“HOW THE FRY ARE YOU OKAY?!”

Wade recoiled his hand and made a faintly audible cry of distress.

For a split second Max, looked almost as confused and ruffled as Wade did, but the vigilante soon "tch'd."

"Where the fry were you hiding this whole time?!" Max hissed.

Wade pulled back, realizing this was the same situation, but with all of the fire Max could punch into his words. Where were you? How are you okay? Explain yourself.

Wade didn't know. He wasn't hiding. How was he supposed to say all of this? Unease welled up in Wade. The familiar feeling of being caught for something that couldn't be his fault. ...Wasn't his fault.

None of that would matter to Max though, would it? No, it wouldn't. Wade was done with this.

Wade averted his eyes to the ground and seethed. "I don't know, the literal confines of my mind?" he retorted.

Talk(?): to Max

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Max and Wade ==> Talk/Bicker

"
Where the fry were you hiding this whole time?!" Max hissed.

Wade pulled back, falling a little into the darkness he couldn't see anymore before angrily quipping, "
I don't know, the literal confines of my mind?"

Jax sighed. "
Look, could we avoid too much yelling? My head is in incredible pain."

"
We aren't-" Max snapped, seemingly out of habit, before catching himself with a quiet grumble.

"
...Sorry," he muttered, his anger softer. Turning to Wade, he added, "'Literal confines...'? The shell does that mean...?"

Wade gave a slight, exasperated sigh.

"
That was sarcasm. ...Sort of," he responded, trying to keep his voice low.

"
I meant whatever 'mind space' was in the unnatural darkness that swallowed us up in the tunnel," Wade said. "I wasn't hiding. Just... there," he defended.

"
And now I'm ...not there!" Wade said, with the most lackluster jazz hands he could manage.

"
Mind space...?" Max blinked with an equivalently lackluster frown. Someone could almost hear the wheels turning in his head.

"
Wait, so then..." He poked at his cowlick, thinking slowly, and then, in sudden realization, jolted back. "Hold up. You got caught up in that trap, too?"

"
S-sort of?" Wade answered. "I mean, I was?"

He backtracked for a moment. "
You definitely saw the darkness and the memory throwback too, then."

...Yeah.” Max flinched, turning away. “Something like that.” He shifted the weight of the duffel on his shoulder.

In that case, why weren’t you in the darkness with the rest of us?” He started, “And why the shell aren’t you coughing up black ooze like Jax is?

Something akin to an angry sigh escaped him. “
Look, kid, just... explain everything that happened. Start from the beginning of whatever you remember.

He glanced toward Jax, “
You too, if your head’s in good enough shape.

"
I was in a memory, then it didn't go as it did in reality," Jax added, avoiding any flourish.

He looked around, as if trying to find something to distract himself, when he noticed another glowing rune. Taking out his notepad, he began to sketch it out.

"
I think Wade knows a little more," he added, distractedly.

Wade grimaced.
That was quick.

"...Basically the same," Wade agreed.

"If you saw it, then you know we were walking down the tunnel when: 'Unnatural Darkness,' and then it seemed like our flashlights stopped working," Wade started describing. "I walked into a memory, but it was ....fundamentally ...altered," he stammered.

"From there I just ...realized how to walk out of it," Wade said. "And, I don't know, I just wasn't 'ooze-y'?" he shrugged.

"'
Fun-da-mentally alt-ered.'" Max repeated in a slow and blank monotone. "...Yeah. Okay." He crossed his arms as though in thought, his expression muddled with noticeable frustration.

"
...Listen, kid," he started again, "Try explaining that again, alright? Only this time, do it in a language someone other can you can understand."

Before Wade could respond, Jax turned his words on Max. "
Does that suggest you didn't go through something similar? That is, you didn’t go into a memory you'd... rather have not, then come back?"

"
-It wasn’t a memory."

The words echoed before Jax had finished speaking. Like all the others, they were angry. Yet something in their sound suggested
instinct; something in their instinct, too, suggested containment.

Max turned away.

"
All I saw was some stupid kid spitting lies and corruption in my face,” he muttered, “Nothing anyone would care about.

For a moment, he paused, and then, as if
noticing something about his action, “tched” in trademark fashion.

"
Why the shell do you care so much, anyway?" He sneered, "Those visions were just a trap. They didn’t fryin’ mean anything.

Jax's gaze was intensely focused on Max as he spoke. Taking a deep breath, he simply said, "
let's just go." He closed his notebook and turned to Wade. "I think we've had a long day at this point. I know I have a lot to chew on."

Wade solemnly nodded, agreeing with Jax. He was ready to start walking, to get away from this all, but nothing Max said sat well with him.

"...Those memories mattered," Wade murmured, clutching his mirror and staring down at the intricate silver rim he held onto.

"
Why?" The words sparked with sudden anger. "They're not memories. Not the real ones, anyway."

He sighed, solemn and bitter. "
Look, it's... memories are important, alright? I'm not doubting that. But what we saw was just an illusion. They're nothing but lies."

He huffed. "
Real memories matter more than some corrupted interpretation of them."

Wade's eyes watered with disbelief.

Even twisted and bending to whims, the space was the only place
he'd seen her, or heard her voice. Doting mannerisms lost to photographs... they all stayed intact. Just like he remembered. In memories.

Wade slowly brought his hands over his eyes and hid his face. None of it had mattered; all it'd been was a harsh slap to the face of what he'd lost. Something Max said actually made sense.

Wade's shoulders trembled. "I-I know," he choked, his voice more watery than a second ago. "Let's just leave."

As he moved to do so, Max spoke.

Stop.

His eyes locked with Wade. “
Just... stop. Both of you.” And he gestured to Jax. “You’re not-... why are you-

A mixture of concern and confusion cracked his voice. For a moment, he stood silent, his face contorted in a search for words.

What... what did you... see...?

"
I'd rather keep that to myself," Jax added, irritated. "Wade is probably in the same boat and I won't be pressing you for yours."

Whatever words Wade wanted to shelter himself behind were soundly set aside with Jax's firm answer. He simply stopped his hands midway, shoulders shaking.

Why did Wade keep saying things he didn't want responses to? Why didn't he have the common sense to stop talking?

Wade tore his eyes away, then wordlessly turned in the direction they needed to head. He gazed into the cool reflection of the mirror instead.

The
runes from earlier glowed faintly in it's reflection. Wade lifted his head to glance at the ceiling and it's new luminescence.

> Examine Glyphs (Savvy + Academics)
> Modifiers: Knowledge of the unknown (-2)
> Base Pool: 6 ==> Dice Pool: 4
> Successes: 1

Wade blinked. The mirror wasn't telling him anything useful about the runes now... but when he looked at them, Wade could tell that there was some sort of power to them that he didn't notice before.

Something there... something ominous. He couldn't tell much, but Wade could tell they were better left alone.

He frowned and then sighed. For all of Wade's trouble, the mirror couldn't tell him anything. These runes were just as they seemed and he just couldn't understand what kind of power he was looking at.

There wasn't much left here to do. Wade just wanted to leave.

And leave they did. No one wanted to talk after that debacle, so they just made their way through the tunnels praying that they didn't run into anyone or... anything like that. Whatever it had been was enough for a lifetime.

They exited the tunnel from the subway without event. It wasn't until they exited that they realized that they had left from a different entrance than they had come. It was lucky, then, that the police had roped off this area, because there was something sinister brewing in that underworld.

With little fanfare, they agreed to meet the next day at the Cap'n's house to talk about... whatever this was and what it meant in light of Deepview and the big picture. Then, wordlessly, they went their separate ways.

Hesoca

Full Squid
It was late. Moonlight wrinkled through dull clouds, spilling vivid hues on the glow of the old streets. In the sky hung the tips of buildings, shaken and glass-stained. Max, his bubble a petulant star, kicked his feet along the ground. The shadows framed him in darkish panes.

He was angry. He was always angry, but this was a different anger. It was a tired anger, a splintering anger, an anger fueled by vigilant nights and worn by voluntary days, an anger at his broken friends and the broken world and the understanding that none of it would let him save it without resistance. He’d drawn his weapons and Jax had fought him; he’d stood his ground and Wade had left him; he’d found the tunnels and his friends had lost him. And now, after saving one and reuniting both, after facing the corruption and outwitting its nothingness, after everything he had suffered through this night, he was left with nothing but a blinding light encasing him like a bubble, a plain mirror and a crying reflection, and angry, fuming, untrusting, “I'd rather keep that to myself” silence.

He was angry. All he had wanted to do was help. All he had wanted to do was save, but Jax wouldn’t talk to him. Wade wouldn’t talk to him, either. And it wasn’t so much the lack of talking that bothered him as it was the lack of trust that came with it. Wade didn’t trust him; he only shared what he uncovered with Jax, and fought with him at every decision. Meanwhile Jax, as much as he listened, acted as though he had some unspoken authority. Neither of them cared about him, really. And as much as he tried to garner their trust, as much as he shared what he uncovered and lent his weapons to Wade and followed Jax’s stupid invitation that he’d had absolutely no reason to accept besides blind faith, if the decision ever came between his well-being or one of theirs and they were the ones deciding... well, he knew which Inkling they’d try to save.

He stopped in his tracks. He was angry. So angry that he wanted to pull at his fryin’ tentacles and just scream. But if he did that, someone would notice — if they hadn’t already noticed the stupid glowing bubble still following him around. Shell, why was it still here?! It was his, wasn’t it? Something he’d made? He knew it was, and yet it still didn’t seem real. Why now? Why now was he finding this ultimate power in his belief; why, ultimately, was he finding this power so hard to control? Why? Why wouldn’t it leave?! Why couldn’t it just listen?!

He threw himself with silent shouts against the side of an alley. On impact, the light scattered, leaving him to face suddenly the cool night, the shimmer of reinforced buildings and broken glass, the glow of yellow warning signs. And he was angry. He was angry because these were the remnants of the earth writhing with corruption and disease, because this disease was why he had gone on this adventure in the first place, and because the only reason he needed trust and he needed to be listened to was because he couldn’t fight it on his own.

He stood against the wall, his face contorted with frustrated, muffled chokes, his fists clenched at his side.

He was angry.

Somewhere in the back of his throat rose an urge of tears.

Deep Ones, why did he always have to be so angry...?!

The bright night echoed with the sound of fists against worn brick. After a moment, Max pulled his hands away, his knuckles bruised and scratched, half-laughing at his own theatrics. Shell, what did it matter, anyway? He didn’t need any fryin’ sympathy from Jax and Wade; shell, he didn’t even need them to save the city from Deepview. And what did it matter if he didn’t know how to use his sudden innate power? That was the whole point of superhero stories. Learning took time.

He beamed out into the destruction of the streets, a heroic grin brightening his face. He was fine. More than fine. He didn’t need help from anyone. And whatever the path laid out to be, he would—

A ringing “clink” sounded from inside his duffel. Startled, Max pointed his gaze at its source. His eyes traced the outline of the mirror.

He paused, and, silent and solemn, turned his back to the broken streets and walked away on uneasy steps.

Go Home and Sleep

Last edited:

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade slipped his earbuds in, just about ready to leave Cap'n's for the night. Wade straddled his bike, sparing one more glance towards the antique house, knowing he'd probably be back for more, tomorrow.

The entire trip back, no one had really wanted to speak but Wade made sure to keep silent the entire time. No talking, no more conversations, and definitely no starting anything. Anything else, and Wade was sure he would have burst on the spot.

Funny, Wade thought he had come out of his own memory just fine. Not entirely happy but not trapped or regretting what'd he'd said. What he did regret was what had actually happened, never saying or doing anything for his sister when it counted. In the moment Wade had relived, she'd been revealed when she was vulnerable. Then she'd been left to fight their parents alone. Whatever happened that afternoon --and as the arguing continued into the night-- had pushed Rivera over the edge. Then she didn't come back.

Wade bit down, as he flipped through music titles on his phone. He just wanted to pick some music for the ride back without breaking down. Rivera... was gone. A missing person in Inkopolis's records. He'd thought this over half to death and he wanted to stop thinking about this, just long enough to get home.

So the illusion had given him what he wanted. To say something to her and stop her from leaving. So what? In the end, it was all contained within an illusion and he'd appealed to a phantom. The entire dream bit had been too transparently illusory to convince him that he did anything substantial, or to even trap him.

...Wade wasn't even sure if the illusion could trap him. Not with the new intuition for reality Wade had started showing.

Wade fumed to himself as he lined up songs in a playlist. The thought nagged at him.
...If he ignored all the signs of reality, would he have stayed there, where it was like his sister had never left?

No, that was ridiculous. This was ridiculous. If it had been a trap, why did he get the mirror? It literally showed him that the memory was an illusion, basically handing him the keys to leaving.

And the mirror left the illusion, even though he was pretty sure no one else could see it. The mirror was currently tucked away with the rest of the stuff, in his panniers.

Honestly, he... he just didn't get it. Wade had looked down into the mirror almost the entire time they trekked back to Cap'n's and saw almost nothing out of the ordinary. It felt special but it reflected back like an ordinary mirror. An entire memory from the past, re-experienced, and all he'd gotten out of it was a hand mirror.

...There was more, wasn't there? He had realized something, hadn't he?

He'd left this... hollow version of his memories. He accepted that reality was different. He accepted this unreality was what it was. He told himself to move forward. Riv was gone.

And Jax hadn't. Jax had struggled.

Not unlike the drowning ooze, a sick feeling settled in Wade as he thought about how he'd involved himself. He had no business seeing into Jax's mind like that. Jax had all rights to be upset at the situation ...and even at Wade. He didn't want Jax to hate him, but after all this, maybe he deserved it? Worst of all, as much as Wade wanted to give his vote of confidence, Wade wasn't sure Jax would have found his way out of the illusion by himself. He couldn't have just left him there!

Wade didn't even think badly of Jax for being consumed by the memory, but he couldn't help think about what Jax had said. How he had been okay. How Jax hadn't.

Was this because he could 'handle things'? Gotten over his problems...? All Wade did was push them to the back of his mind. Wade never did this consciously, but the guilt still tugged at him as he distanced himself from Rivera's name. Everyone was happier when he wasn't the perpetrator of bad news. No one wanted him to keep griping about a girl they'd let slip through their fingers.

And in denying this, he'd done nothing. Bits of Rivera's memory slipped away as he watched idly.

Well, the memory had been shoved right in his face. He couldn't 'make new friends' who didn't know how messed up his family way. Jax looked at those photos like he knew. He couldn't pretend he was doing this out the sheer goodness of his hearts. Max had no idea what stake a 'kid' like him had in this conspiracy, but it was there. The pain of the past was there, lifting his feet forward.

Tapping the last few songs, Wade berated himself. How could you let all of this go?

...And that was it. He was done with this.

After sitting there and scrolling through music, Wade had amassed a masterpiece. A disaster. Every song he could think of that was loud, fast-paced and chock full of nonsense lyrics were stuffed into a playlist for the ride back. If he could hear himself thinking on the way back home, the lyrics clearly weren't angsty enough.

He wasn't going to stop feeling angry and guilty and awful so his music was going to be just as awful, just as he liked it, without anyone telling him how to feel.

How he felt, everything that was happening, everything little memory that stung. It was there. He couldn't ignore it. There was no turning back.

Go Home, Sleep

Last edited:

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Magabelle stared around at the mess she had caused. She wasn't exactly intending to tear it apart so harshly, but, uh, guess she got carried away.

Mentally shrugging to herself, she went to clean it up, starting with the bed and attempting to restore it to it's former glory. Then she simply went through and closed the drawers and containers she had opened; finally, sitting on the mattress of the bed she had done a really subpar job of repairing, she pried off her shoes, prayed the morning wouldn't be hectic, lay down on the bed, and, without even actually getting under the covers, she started drifting.

Undo Last Action, Sleep

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn

Wade hit the hay the moment he got home. Between the angsty playlist, the herculean physical activity and the emotional stress, he was beat.

He slept soundly, until... vibrations. He shot up. Was it quaking again!? Was it...

Bzz. Bzz.

His phone. Just his phone. The caller ID said, 'Cato.'

What do you do?

@Hesoca

Max had nightmares. He was fine. He was up early.

Max went through his morning routines mechanically,
trying to forgetting his own crying face melting in fire haunting his dreams. He was fine. He had a mission. His 'friends' needed his help whether they knew it or not. He would continue to fight against corruption. And he'd be early.

He didn't quite remember walking to the Captain's house. But here he was, knocking at the door. Jax answered, the bags under his eyes somehow bigger than before.

"
Early. Good," he said. "I... have something I'd like to show you."

Max walked in and the two walked in silence to the living room where they'd planned the tunnel heist. But now there were
holes in the floor. Small ones, like drops of acid had fallen carelessly on the hardwood and tunneled through to whatever was below.

There was more though.
Chunks seemed to be gone from furniture. A scoop seemed to have been taken out of the sofa. The desk had been cut in half.

Jax pulled out a piece of paper while Max gawked. "
Look," he beckoned. Max did.

Jax held out a his index finger and Max watched as it changed. It was like when Jax was fighting unarmed--ink coating his attacks--but this wasn't ink. It was the
ooze. Gently, Jax slid his coated finger over the paper and Max watched as a clean line of it simply faded from existence.

"
I want to return to the tunnel," Jax finished, as the halves of paper fluttered to a cluttered floor. "I want answers."

What now Max?

@Banshee

Alga woke up slowly. As her bleary eyes blinked away sleep she could feel something was off.

It took her a moment, but as she pulled herself out of her warm bed and the blankets fell around her, she saw the mirror was next to her.

As she glanced at it, the image of herself within was chipper, and wrote on the glass excitedly.

"
˙ɟlǝsɹnoʎ oʇuᴉ pǝddᴉls ǝʌɐɥ oʇ ɯǝǝs no⅄ ˙ƃuᴉuɹoɯ pooפ"

Then it clicked. She was back in the
other world. But... she hadn't passed through a mirror.

What's the plan, Alga?

@VeryButter

Mag could feel herself being watched. She woke with a start, bumping into One's head in the process.

"
Owwww!" the child cried. "Wh-why'd you wake s-so suddenly!"

((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

Reminders: December 30th

Posts are Due: I think we've got this at this point.

Will be Responded to in GM Post:
Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
Sleep [use this when there's nothing left you can do, logically, in the day]
Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]
Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]

Will be Responded to Immediately:
Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]
Pick Up [use this action on something you want to hold onto]
Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]

Search For [use like examine but for things that may or may not be there]
Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade blinked.

His shellphone vibrated on his blankets, just barely falling off the bed as the charger cord extended from the wall.

His room was dark. Slivers of light came through cracks in the curtains. So it must have been morning. He was in bed... Morning was here...

Wade slowly blinked, getting a bearing for his surroundings.

The phone was still ringing.

Oh, snap, right. Wade snapped back to reality, instantly snatching the phone off his bed.
He slid the screen up and answered before the last ring.

"H-Hello?" Wade said, scooting around to try to sit up on his bed. "Cato, right?"

Talk to: Cato

Hesoca

Full Squid
“Then let’s go.”

Max’s abruptness caught the air in sudden gravity. He watched the paper as it settled on the ground, then faced toward the unnatural destruction.

“There’s something down those tunnels.” He spoke, his eyes marked by thought, “Something that set the trap we fell into last night. Something that didn’t us moving forward.”

He met Jax’s gaze with his own.

“Whatever happened to us before had one purpose: to hide something from us.” he said, “And I have no hesitation in going down there and prying whatever it is out of that place’s hands.”

Talk to: Jax

Last edited:

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
As it always tended to be when waking up, Alga's thoughts were glacially sluggish. It was a chore to even comprehend where she was much less the words scrawled on the mirror, and she had to spend a good minute reading and rereading them before they finally sank in.

"...Huh."

She sat still in the bed, glancing about with a slow measure of thought and feeling vaguely unnerved the longer she lingered, though thankfully without the icy terror that had accompanied her on her first venture. How, exactly, had she gotten in here...?

"...How'd that happen..?"

The words come out half-slurred, but Alga doesn't have it in her at the moment to care. The Word will understand. Probably.

Talk: The Word

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Magabelle rubbed her own head at the collision, blinking at One and looking at him in minor panic. "Ah, sorry One!"

She paused, looking down, focusing on her shoes for a moment before some realisation hit her and she looked up. "Wait. How did we bump heads?"

Talk: One

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn
Wade ==> Talk: Cato

"H-Hello?" Wade said, letting only of little of his grogginess slip into his voice. "Cato, right?"

"Yes," Cato responded. "I have news. You asked me to keep tabs on any intruders that passed through the area. Inklings that might wander into the Valley. I think we found who you were looking for."

Wade leaned forward now, much more awake "
...The informant?" he asked hesitantly.

Right, the whole 'meet' that they'd blown off yesterday. Wade started scanning his room for wherever the shell he'd put his notes on the 3chan post.

"Yes," Cato said. Something in his tone suggested he was distracted. In a muffled voice, Wade heard something like don't touch that. It sounded like... Cato.

He promptly returned to the report. "One of our operatives said that she deconstructed some Octarian tech and built it into... a mech of sorts."

Wade heard a high-pitched voice in the background pipe up. "AGATHABOT v0.236!"

"...yes." Cato groaned.

Wade smiled in confusion.

"
So you found her...?" he clarified. What was this about a mech?

He loosely remembered that the notebook was in his panniers, but reluctant to get out of bed, Wade started hanging off the side of his mattress to feel around the floor.

That name was sounding familiar.

"
And this informant would be... 'Agatha,'" Wade stated, rather than asked.

"I see you've been doing some research... or made an educated guess based on what she just shouted." Wade could almost feel Cato glance at Agatha on the other line.

"Do you have anything to report on your end? Anything about the movements of Deepview? What they might be doing? Or our government?"

"
I..." Wade began. He stopped trying to reach under his bed to rub his temples and sigh.

"
I don't know what we found out yesterday," Wade said wearily.

"
Do you know anything about," Wade was grasping for straws here, "...tunnels under the Inkopolis subway system? Or drills in general? Biomechanical drills."

"I understand that the trade deals that the Deepview agents have been undergoing have been about providing drill parts to our government," Cato responded. "You may remember the one I 'rigged to blow?' That was a drill I'd commandeered and constructed myself to see what they were up to. Do you have any idea what they're using them for?"

"
Maybe...?" Wade said. "Ideally 'drilling', but we found 2 of these drills in already established tunnels. I'm still trying to figure why that is." Cato was spitting out some important information now.

Defying the comfort of his blankets, Wade actually got up and put himself somewhere he could see his bags. Kneeling at his bed, Wade finally dug out the notebook, flipping to a new page.

"Alright," Cato said, "what do you mean by already established tunnels?"

"
I mean, the operational drill wasn't making a new tunnel. It was just running through a tunnel that was already made," Wade answered.

Wade briefly jotted down,
DV trading drill parts to octar govt.

"
There was a busted one earlier in the tunnels, and even then, there were two complete pathways on either side of it," he added.

"Interesting," Cato mused. "I can't think of a reason they'd want to make tunnels though--what did I say!"

Cato's sudden interjection was followed by a sharp "Don't touch that!" without any sort of muffling.

"Sorry," he apologized, speaking to Wade again. "But do you have any idea what they were doing? It seems they're making a tunnel under Inkopolis, but I can't stand to see what that gains them unless there's a clear path from the tunnel to the Valley. Did you explore it fully?"

"
No, we didn't," Wade admitted. "There was definitely a fork we missed. ...Mostly because other people were up ahead. Missed a few other directions, too."

Jeez, what a shoddy exploration. Wade sighed again.
What the shell happened yesterday?

He quickly ran a hand through his bedhead to focus. There was still something possibly peculiar in the tunnels that got noticed.

"
...Do Octarians use Greek lettering for anything specific?" Wade asked. "...Isn't it a dead language?"

"
Greek?" Cato said, confused. "I... I'm not sure. That's not exactly something I would know. I can ask the others later, but I'd have to get back to you. I do know that there are a lot of ruins in the Valley. Plenty to excavate and learn about. Why do you ask?"

Wade frowned.

"
There were Greek letters etched onto the walls of the tunnels," he explained. "Everywhere."

Nice. Those symbols were
glowing last night, but there wasn't a lot of to explain what they were. Besides Greek.

"
Just something weird about the tunnels," Wade noted. "I'm not sure what to make of it."

"I see..." Cato murmured. "I think it might be noting that there is a major cult that has gotten involved with the government recently. Though it seems silly that they'd put racial tensions and massive amounts of resources into
the occult."

He groaned. "Then again, there was that
public sacrifice the other day. I fear the worst. What a bitter aftertaste..."

"
Sa-- hold on," Wade said.

Normally he'd also rule out '
the occult', but not today. "A cult for what exactly?" he asked.

"I can't really say. No one is particularly sure. But in the past few months, there has been some insanity that I cannot explain." Cato groaned. "To be frank, I fear for this country, Wade."

Wade clammed up, at a loss for words. He dragged a hand down his face, thinking about the dark valley Cato called a country, and Deepview using it to their advantage.

He jotted down
Octar govt involved w/ major cult about ???.

"
Ugh," Wade groaned in return. "Neato."

"
So, Deepview has been providing those parts to the government," Wade clarified. That sounded weird considering how octopi-looking the drills had been but...

"
Is it fair to say we actually found Octarian tunnels last night?" he asked. "Or is this collaboration more tight-knit than it seems?"

Max did say some Deepview agents 'wandered' there. Or something. That would make sense.

"Likely, but neither of us can really say why," Cato responded. "I have no idea what they gain by doing this. It seems like a severe waste of time and resources. The length that a tunnel would have to be astronomical to reach Inkopolis, not to mention the planning to avoiding piping and infrastructure. If they were using it to make more livable land, I'd understand--we're already used to living underground--but there's no talk about new Jetties opening up to be settled. It doesn't add up."

He paused. "In any case, the real reason we called you is that our
de facto leader wants to speak with your group in person."

Wade stuttered, a bit shocked. "
Y-yeah, of course. I have time right now," he answered.

He sat himself on his bed again, notebook in reach this time.

"In person," Cato repeated. "Today would be preferred, but another time can be arranged if you need it. There are some things that we would prefer not to be transmitted via phone."

"
Ah. Uh, right," Wade said, burning with embarrassment. "I... I just woke up."

He cleared his throat, sheepishly.

"
I'll call the others and see what they think of this," Wade said. "See if they don't have other plans," he tacked on.

Wade clicked his pen, ready to write. "
If today works, where would you want to meet?" he asked.

"Where we first met," Cato said. "For now I have to deal with...
this... person…"

He hung up just after Wade heard a final
oh so that's how this works in the background.

Meet where we followed Cato - first met Wade wrote.

He slowly lowered the phone from his ear. Wade blinked. Did that... did that go well?

In any case, he was definitely awake.

@Hesoca
Max ==> Talk: Jax

Whatever happened to us before had one purpose: to hide something from us.” Max said, “And I have no hesitation in going down there and prying whatever it is out of that place’s hands.

Jax nodded. "
Completely. That mystery can't be left unturned." He seemed to strain himself, but slowly, the ooze at his fingertip receded. He was sweating. "Did you come away... changed?"

"
...Changed?" Max blinked, watching the ooze dissolve into Jax's hands. "You mean like... that?"

He tched, fiddling with the roller on his shoulder. "
I wasn't compromised, if that's what you're asking."

"
I don't know what 'compromised' means, but I suppose if you say you weren't affected in any supernatural way, then I'll take your word for it," Jax said. He seemed terse, as if not wanting to start anything.

Max froze, meeting Jax's gaze. The roller on his shoulder did so as well.

"
You don't-" He started, then, with a tired sigh, motioned against his statement.

"
I’m trying to say I wasn't caught by the corruption." He explained. "At least, not like you were."

"
I see," Jax said. "You've mentioned corruption before." He lifted his hand, breathed out and let his whole palm exude the consuming darkness. "Was this always the form you faced? Or does it manifest differently?"

"
I-It's not unexpected," Max muttered, balking back. "Though I've never seen it so.... concentrated."

He paused, fiddling with his roller again. "
You've... seen this type of corruption before, haven't you?" A note of suspicion marked his voice. "In their homeworld. The Cap'n said you raided the place once."

"
When I speak of corruption, I tend toward a metaphorical sense," Jax said, sternly. "This is unnatural. Unholy. An abomination."

He turned away, looking at the destruction he'd caused the room. "
I've never known the Octolings to use this type of weaponry in any sense. Never. They prefer biomachinery. Does this look like machinery to you?"

"
A metaphorical sense." The suspicion in Max's voice morphed into anger. "There's nothing fryin' 'metaphorical' about it. Anyone with eyes can see the effects." And he motioned toward the ink in Jax's hands, adding, "Even someone in your shellish state."

He stepped forward, his anger growing to rage. "
Corruption is not just a weapon. Corruption is what they are. What they bleed. It comprises every part of their insidious form. How can you not-"

He stopped. The Dynamo in his hands froze.

Slowly, he stepped back.
The rage he had before mellowed into a dull frown.

"
...Nevermind." He said, "I'm not... thinking straight. You're right."

"
...Anyway," With a sneer, he reverted back to himself. "The kid's supposed to be coming in a bit." He pulled out his phone and met Jax's gaze. "You've got his number, right? I wanted to give him the heads up about our meeting here."

"
...yes." He recited Wade's number. Then, grimacing, he added, "I... need to sit down for a moment. I'll be in another room with... working furniture." And without fanfare, he left.

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Banshee

Talk ==> The Word

"...How'd that happen..?" Alga mumbled, words slurring together.

The
Word began writing a novel on the mirror, sagely. "˙sǝɯᴉʇ llɐ ʇɐ ɯooɹ ɹnoʎ uᴉ ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ɐ ƃuᴉʌɐɥ puǝɯɯoɔǝɹ p,I ˙ɹǝʌǝʍoɥ 'suoᴉʇɔǝlɟǝɹ ʎq ƃuᴉʌɐǝl oʇ pǝʇᴉɯᴉl ǝɹɐ no⅄ ˙ǝɯᴉʇ ʎuɐ ʇɐ plɹoʍ sᴉɥʇ ɹǝʇuǝ oʇ ǝlqɐ ǝq plnoɥs noʎ ʇnq 'ʇǝʎ sɹǝʍod ɹnoʎ ɟo loɹʇuoɔ pooƃ ʎɹǝʌ ǝʌɐɥ ʇ,uop no⅄"

Huh. So it wasn't just being able to walk through mirrors. She was just bad at powers.

"
...I've got a dresser mirror if that helps..." Alga replied sluggishly. The thing was way too big to lug around without some heavy muscle and it had been there as long as she could remember, so the Word was covered there at least.

...It was really kind of tempting to lay back down. Squid, she hated waking up.

Alga groaned and reached up to rub at her eyes, blinking blearily into the dark of the empty room and sitting up straighter so as to avoid simply flopping back down. It would be much better if she were in her actual bed than some horror-game facsimile,
but she wasn't really certain how to get there without travelling all the way back to Inkopolis like she had yesterday.

"
How do I get out...? Just, repeat what I did sleeping...?"

It would be awkward to be sure, sleeping in this place and more weirder than it already was, but if it worked…

The [r]
Word[/r] scratched its chin as the previously scrawled haze faded from the reflection. Then, it began again. "˙spuᴉɯ llɐ sᴉ ʇI ˙spuᴉɯ ɹno sᴉ ʇI ˙puᴉɯ ɹnoʎ sᴉ ʇI ˙sǝlnɹ sʍolloɟ [g]ʎʇᴉlɐǝɹu∩[/g] ˙ǝq plnoɥs ʇᴉ puɐ ǝq plnoɥs ʇᴉ ǝɹǝɥʍ uo snɔoℲ ¿sǝʎ 'ɯooɹ ɹnoʎ uᴉ sɐʍ ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ǝɥ┴"

She stopped to think again, then, as if working to not actively speak in riddles, she finished with, "
˙ǝɹoɟǝq pᴉp noʎ sɐ ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ǝɥʇ ʞɐǝɹq 'ǝʌɐǝl o┴"

She read the words with a slow blink and managed a silent nod, comprehending nothing but what seemed to make sense and choosing to ignore whatever else didn't for the time being. Not in the mood for it.

There was
debate in her mind on how exactly to focus, but she didn't dwell on it long; rather than waste energy worrying, Alga simply moved to stare towards the wall off to her left at a space where she knew her dresser to be, producing its familiar image in her mind with barely any effort. Large, mildly cluttered, etchings in the drawers…

...How was she going to break the mirror on this thing?

It didn't take long. She imagined the dresser and, with as little effort as wanting it, it appeared just as it should be. She didn't get up to check, but
she was sure the details were all there, etchings and all.

Now it would just be about breaking the mirror…

Alga clicked her tongue, brow furrowing as she stared the mirror down. She wondered...

"
Can I...do that with..anything in the room..?"

It would make this much easier, and she really didn't want to have to resort to punching. She was not the best as far as strength went…

"
˙sǝ⅄ ˙ǝq ɹǝʌǝ ʇ,uɐɔ ɥɔᴉɥʍ ʇɐɥʇ ʇou ʇnq ˙ʇ,usᴉ ʇɐɥʍ ǝʞɐɯ uɐɔ noʎ 'ʇɹoɟɟǝ ɥʇᴉʍ 'sǝɯᴉʇǝɯoS ˙ǝq oʇ ʇᴉ ʍouʞ noʎ ɟᴉ ɹǝᴉsɐǝ s,ʇI"

...Make what isn't...?

Alga pushed it to the back of her mind with a slight shake of her head. She would think about that later. Right now... What to break a mirror with. It wasn't like she had very much in her room that could crack a mirror...

"
Um. What...do you think I should use...?"

"
˙ǝʌǝᴉlǝq noʎ sɐ ƃuoɹʇs ɹo ʞɐǝʍ sɐ s,ʇI ˙lɐǝɹ ʇou s,ʇI ˙ɹǝƃuᴉɟ ∀ ˙ǝɹnʇxᴉɟ ∀ ˙ɹǝɥʇɐǝɟ ∀ ˙ƃuᴉɥʇʎu∀"

"
...Okay.."

It wasn't as though anything else about this world had any
logic about it.

With the
Word's answer weighing in her mind, she eventually decided on refraining from creating anything. With considerable effort did Alga crawl out of bed, taking the handle of the mirror with her as she moved for the dresser, landing it with an uncertain look the entire time.

She glanced down at her free hand, then back up towards
the mirror in front of her. Even just a finger...?

She couldn't imagine the glass breaking. It just wasn't that fragile.
But if she could just... move through it. Like... like liquid? Like ink. Then maybe.

She pushed with her finger to the surface and all she could think about was
going home. Going back to her real room. And with that touch, the glass surface rippled like a placid lake disturbed. Tentatively, she pushed the digit through. Then her hand. Then her arm, the surface rippling from the disturbance.

She worked up the courage to get on the dresser and crawl through. Just as her head poked its way out of the mirror, she realized... she hadn't been in the reflection.

Caught by this revelation, she stumbled through the reflection, tumbling out into her room. On the floor next to her, greeting her, was the
Word in its mirror.

A yelp caught in Alga's throat as she went falling loudly to the floor, knocking knickknacks and figurines from the dresser in her wake in an equally noisy cacophony that had her cringing before she was even settled on the ground. She sat in a sprawled heap, blinking in a daze for a long moment before taking
the mirror and pushing herself to a stand with a mild wince. That was going to leave a bruise...

"
Th-That...could have gone better..."

But at least she was back in her real room. She'd suffer a little tumble for that.

((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]
Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]

Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]

Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
"Yeah." Max nodded, watching as he left, "Lemme know if there's anything you need."

He closed the door slowly as Jax left, paused, and then, at the count of ten, scrambled for the lock and dialed Wade's number as quickly as was physically possible.

Wade held onto his phone. Still sitting in his room, he wasn't actually sure how he wanted to bring up '
hey can we go meet Cato out in the sticks of Area 1 again?'

However, he didn't have long to stew on his thoughts.

His phone jingled with the generic ring. An unknown number this time.

What was this, a telemarketer? One call after another.

Wade picked up and spoke, apprehensively. "
Hello...?"

"
JAX IS FRYING-"

Max paused, and, nestling himself into the farthest corner away from the door, started again without shouting.

"Jax is frying gone." He said, "He's in trouble. Serious, serious trouble."

Wade yelped and tossed up his phone, fumbling with it in the air. When he finally grabbed it, he took a moment to double over on his bed and exhale for dear life.

Taking in a gulp of air, Wade hissed into the phone, "
Max?? Wha-- why do you have my number?"

"
No... no, wait. Hold on," Wade said, rubbing his forehead. "What are you even talking about? What happened? Is Jax okay, is he gone, like... D-did Deepv-- oh no, is--"

"
It's not Deepview." Max said. "It's worse. Much worse."

He glanced at the door before continuing.

"
I got here early." Max explained. "And it's bad. There's holes in the floor, corruption oozing out of his hands. Jax has enough bags under his eyes to rival a frying raccoon, and he couldn't even remember what happened with him a few years back in the valley."

"
He wants to go back to the tunnels." He added. "There is absolutely no way in shell I'm letting that happen. No way. Not with him like that."

Wade froze, stricken by the sudden wave of information. He blinked.

"
What... is that supposed to mean?" Wade asked.

"
Wha... what do you mean corruption?" he started questioning. "Is Jax okay? If Deepview didn't do this then, what's up with his memories...? I..."

Wade brushed that one, pesky strand of tentacle back as he took a deep breath.

"
Seriously," Wade hissed, "how did you get my number?"

Jax gave it to me.” Max stated, dull-tone, before relapsing into his original panic with a loud, “BUT IT HAS TO BE THE-.”

He paused again.

...It’s the tunnel.” He said, more slowly. “It has to be.

He glanced around the room before speaking.

Look,” he began, “When I was in the tunnels looking for you two, I ran into Jax lying half-dead on the ground, bleeding black acid from his eyes. There was writing along the wall by him, glowing the same color as that ink.

I... tried to destroy it,” he continued, frowning, “Managed to cut one sliver from it before it caused the air to erupt with corrupted holes. But that sliver stopped some of the ooze coming out of him.

He sighed tensely. “
There’s something down there, kid.” he said, “Something trying to kill him, or... worse. We need to go down there again.

He paused. “
And we need to go before Jax has the chance to do so.

Wade went silent again, trying to process all the
things that Max was saying.

He thought the skeptic was beat out of him by inexplicable
cults and conspiracies, but this felt... off. Suddenly going back to the tunnels with Max felt sketchy ...and kind of unbearable.It didn't make sense.

"
I... saw that too," Wade began, slowly getting off his bed and reaching for his laptop. "Jax and the ooze, I mean."

Wade spoke slowly, trying to reason with Max."
We don't really know the connection of the symbols yet. Or anything about them really."

He even asked Cato if he knew anything about them this morning.

"
Are you ...sure he stopped oozing because of the symbol...?" Wade asked. "'Cause maybe he stopped... because he was waking up from the memory coma."

Because Wade
pulled Jax out of his memory, right before he woke up. Y'know. Didn't want to brag about that last night.

"
Should we really be going back there so soon?" he asked.

Flipping to the notebook page with Jax's phone number, Wade turned back to his keyboard. His computer was now warmed up. He opened a texting app and typed something quick to Jax, all while listening to Max intently.

If we don’t, Jax is going to drip his way to an early grave.” Max muttered. “I know what I saw in those tunnels. The ooze stopped as soon as I destroyed the symbols — not when he woke up later.

He shifted. “
Look, for all that happened... you and I came out of there fine. We’ve got the will to keep ourselves safe. We know their traps. If anyone’s gonna go down there, it’s gonna be us.

Wade laughed dryly. "
'Willpower'?" he asked.

"
I didn't escape out because of willpower," Wade said. "I have some weird 'reality sense' now. I could have left anytime I wanted, but I didn't. Because I wanted to stay in the illusion."

Wade paused at how
icky those words felt, but then scoffed.

"
Yeah, you're right I won't be 'caught.' I still don't want to go back right away."

He shook his head. "
Is Jax okay? Is he unconscious?"

Wade glanced back to his laptop to see a response. No, Jax was definitely conscious. This only added to his confusion.

"
What is going on?" Wade murmured.

Are you fryin’ deaf?” Max muttered, a note of frustration in his voice, “Look, I already said-

He paused and buried his head in his hands.

...You know what, nevermind.” He muttered. “You don’t wanna go? Don’t go. I’ll go by myself, then. Just... keep Jax away from the tunnels.” He paused. “...Please.

"
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold on," Wade said. "You can't just announce you're going back to hallucination purgatory by yourself."

Wade gave a quick frustrated groan, pulling his ideas together before speaking. Max sounded
crazy, and genuinely worried, and maybe not trying to sabotage everything. He had to stop Max.

"
Listen, Max? Cato called me back this morning and he wanted to meet up in person to discuss something. They met up with the informant..." Wade rolled his wrist trying to get ideas to come around.

"
So I tried asking Cato if he knew what the symbols were about," Wade said. "He mentioned that the Octarian government was involved with something occult but he didn't know exactly what. That was probably what we saw last night."

"
I... I just don't think we know enough?" Wade suggested.

"
We can take steps before this... Have some plan.. Seriously, don't," Wade ran a hand through his hair. "Don't just leave."

"
What the shell do you care?" Max sneered, a bitterness creeping into his voice, "It's not like you need me for anything. Not with your fryin' reality sense making you invulnerable."

He leaned against the wall with a dry huff. "Listen, kid," he muttered, "The tunnel was my catch way before I started fryin' with you two. I've got nothing holding me from going in alone." He paused, tching, "Especially not someone else's fryin' concern."

"Look, if there really is some occult conspiracy involved in everything going on," he continued, "then it needs to be investigated, because it sure as shell isn't going to do it itself."

"
That's my point! I..." Wade paused, looking down at another response from Jax.

Corruption oozing out of his hands... an all-consuming ink? Changed from the tunnel? Wait a second...

Barely typing back at Jax, Wade stood from the computer and pulled the phone close.

"
Okay, Max I agree. We need to investigate. We also need to not die or there isn't a point to investigating," he said. "For Deep's sake..."

Wade gave a hopeless sigh. "
You can definitely go there alone, and I probably can't stop you from my freaking apartment, but I'm coming over. If you are still there ...I'll head to the tunnels with you."

Immediately he shot back, "
I want to come up with an actual plan and figure out what the shell we're doing! Because, you know, we still don't know what the tunnels are even for," Wade seethed.

"
But if you're so frying set on running into the first sight of danger, I'm going to at least tag along so I can drag you out of it," Wade said.

"
Good." Max said, a note of surprise in his voice, "I'll be waiting here, then. And in the meantime, while you're heading over, we can both start thinking about a way to keep Jax out of the tunnels. In any case, I'll catch you late-"

He paused. The line held in contemplative silence.

"
...Right, sorry," he started, "I know you need to go, but I just... I wanted to ask…"

He lapsed into silence,
fiddling with his phone for a moment before blurting out, "Why the fry would you ever want to stay in that godforsaken illusion?!"

Wade stopped. In that moment,
he could feel his heartbeats, a rush of hot and cold, harsh silence and grating thoughts, all at once. It was old wounds with poor stitching that just barely held together, and now the strings had been tugged once again.

The memory he saw last night was one he played over and over in his head, wondering if he could have done something and now... There it was.
Hollow. Incomplete. Unreal.

The resolution he wanted.

Starting to raise his voice, Wade shot back, "
What does it matter to you why I wanted to stay in my memor--?!"

Wade stopped and
caught his words.

He was angry, but at himself. He hated being angry, and he hated lashing out, and he hated how this followed his life like a dark cloud. Wade swallowed. He
knew this was a reasonable thing to ask and to answer.

After a moment, he spoke and his tone was calm and deliberate.

"
Because my sister was there," Wade said.

He didn't wait to hear Max's response.
He didn't want to hear it. Wade pressed a button, then hung up.

Your sis-“ Max began, but by then the line was dead.

It was a moment before Max hung up himself. He
cupped the phone in his hands hesitantly, his thumb running over redial without much thought or form. Sister. The word repeated in his thoughts, an echo of that kid's voice.

A memory played in sound alone. "As they say," it said, "I had an older sibling. So I know to how to-."

Max stopped it there. There was no need to listen. He knew what came next.

For several seconds, he did not move. The phone fell and flew in his hands with clumsy, loud shuffles.

...Fry,” he found himself saying.

The phone returned to his pocket. Max stared at the ground, thought-gazed, before pushing his way out and into the foyer.

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
> hey you there?
> when did you give max my number?

There was some time before the answer came. A minute at least.

> I gave him the number a moment ago. He wanted to speak to you and it's important that the team be able to communicate whenever possible.

> ok what
> what is max talking about
> what's going on?
> are you okay?

> I came away from that tunnel changed.
> Max seemed to avoid the subject, but he does that a lot so I couldn't say what it was about for certain.
> Currently, my body seems to secrete some sort of all-consuming ink that burns through any material I come in contact with that isn't synched to my body.
> I can make it stop with conscious effort, but it leaves me wondering:
> 1. What happened in the tunnels?
> 2. Were we all affected in the same way?

> wait changed?
> is that what max is
> hold on

> I can't confirm. He seems to be dodgy about it.
> It's just a hunch. I have no proof about it either way.
> That's why I'm asking. Did you change in any way? Or am I the only one afflicted with abnormalities?

> what did i just do?
> what did i just agree toooo
> uuuuugghhhhh maaxxxxx

> What now?
> What did you agree to?

There was a while until Wade responded again.

> Sorry sorry
> Uhm, what did you want to know again?

> Alright I still don't know what happened but Cato called me back this morning
> Said the octar govt is involved with something occult
> Whooo
> Also for question 2
> I
> Hmm
> Give me a moment

> Okay.

Wade looked up from his laptop.

Between the nonstop calls, he hadn't bothered to examine the
weird sense he'd received last night. Could he even tell it was there? He didn't even know what he was looking for, but Wade looked around his room, trying to determine if there was anything different in his perception.

Wade wasn't too sure what he was looking for. He could tell things were different. Or... something was different, anyway. The room didn't seem odd. Still clean from his distraction yesterday.

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes. What was he feeling? He tried to let himself into...
whatever it was that he could now sense.

It was like falling. Like a drop on a rollercoaster. He wanted to open his eyes, but he couldn't. Not until it was right. He knew.

And then here was
there. His home again. Only his clothes has followed... no phone. No communications with Jax.

So... it wasn't just a dream. He closed his eyes and tried to find
that feeling again. That feeling like falling.

He could almost feel his clothes rustle as if he had taken a dive from a cliff. He could almost feel a soft 'thump' as he returned to the floor in his apartment room.

Wade widened his eyes in wonder, patting the floor to make sure he wasn't going crazy. He had been on his bed just a second ago, right?

Wade scrambled to his laptop, sitting himself up on his bed again. He started typing a response.

> Uhm, maybe?
> Somethings different I can't tell what
> Can you um
> Can you still go into the world we saw yesterday?

> No. Wouldn't want to if I could.
> Why do you ask?

> Alright, that's new
> I don't think it's just you
> That or I just fell through my bed and landed on the floor

> You... fell through your bed?
> Then ended up on the floor? Under your bed? Or…

> No no more like
> I just dropped from my bed, back to the memory world, and then ended up onto the floor somehow
> Right! The mirror is still under my bed
> I also have a mirror that may or may not reflect reality
> You know this already
> I think I'm getting sidetracked
> Did you suggest to Max to go back to the tunnel?

> I did. I want to find answers to our changes.
> I apologize if it isn't immediately relevant to the mission, but I have to know what this is.

> ...Okay thats a reasonable direction
> Considering you can now
> all consuming??? holy carp
> uhm
> so
> Is Max like, outside or something?
> Basically, can I call you now and explain a bunch of stuff really quick

> Sure.

Wade slid off his bed and snatched up his phone. He pulled up Jax's contact info and started the third call for this morning. All the while, as the dial tone rang, he started pulling a new shirt out of his drawers.
He needed to start heading out of here.

"
Hey," Wade answered.

"
Hi," Jax responded. "You said you had some stuff to explain? I presume it involves our Octoling insiders? I've moved outside the house so Max doesn't have to worry about whatever is said."

"
What, the call from Cato?" Wade asked. "Yeah, I guess I can explain that right now, but..."

"
Back up, back up," he said. "Are you aware that Max also wants to go back to the tunnels, but specifically without you?"

"
Ah. No, I wasn't," Jax said. "I heard him yelling from the other room, but it was too indistinct to tell what about. What's his reasoning?"

"
He thinks you're dying and..." Wade paused for a moment trying to string together something coherent. "And... really tired?"

"
Like dangerous or something," Wade said. "He mentioned the ooze, too, but somehow you're holding a phone so it doesn't sound like this is... life threatening ...to him? So I'm really confused why he wants to leave right away."

"
I will be honest, it is a strain to not melt this phone right now," Jax sighed. "It's like my whole body wants to exude that kind of destruction."

A pause, then Jax continued. "
I thought Max was always talking about corruption as a metaphor. As something that couldn't take tangible shape. I fear I was mistaken. That corruption is indeed real, and that this may be a form of it. I do believe he's wrong that Octolings are the source though. I want to find the real source."

"
Uhh," Wade hesitated. "He's not wrong, but not right. Lemme tell you what I got from Cato this morning."

"
First, things first, Agatha's there. She built a mech," Wade said simply.

"
Next thing on the agenda, I asked Cato if he knew what the tunnels and drills were for last night," he said. "Apparently Cato intercepted some parts getting dealt from Deepview and constructed the drill we saw at their base earlier. So the Octarian government is receiving the drill parts and-- Shoot, I forgot to ask what they were trading back!"

"
Hmm... Yes, that's definitely a question of top priority. What do you think it might be? What could the Octarian government provide?" Jax mused. "But that said, you mentioned that Max is not wrong or right? What do you mean by that?"

"
I mean the drills are most likely the Octarian government's. So the tunnels are probably their creation, too. Which includes the glowy markings," Wade answered. "So you could stop there and say 'it was the those dern Octopi!' but that isn't really helpful," he snarked.

"
I asked Cato if Octarians still use Greek for anything, and he said he'd get back to me, but mentioned 'y'know weird dead languages' sounds like something a cult might use," Wade said. "Apparently the government just got involved with a ritualistic cult. Cato doesn't even know what they worship. It's just mysterious all around."

"
Additionally, these tunnels don't make sense. They aren't anywhere near the Valley, so it's a huge waste of resources. Cato thinks this is insane," he said.

Radio silence for a good minute. Then, Jax said, "
I see. Sorry, was taking notes. So... drills are the government. Come from Deepview. Tunnels likely Oct Gov. Greek symbols indicate cult relationship. Cult recently involved in Oct Gov. Tunnel location unusual. Don't know what Deepview gets out of this."

"
That all correct?" Jax asked.

Wade sputtered on the other end, surprised that Jax was already diligent about getting the details down.

"
Y-yeah?" he said. Well, at this point, he might as well share the last part.

"
Last thing, I guess," Wade said. "Cato asked if we could meet with his group in person. Or rather his 'de facto leader' was asking through him."

"
'Some things can't be discussed over phone,'" he quoted.

"
Reasonable. Alright, let's schedule that for tomorrow, if possible. If not... I suppose that takes higher priority." Jax hesitated, but finished with, "also, do you know the reason Max doesn't want me going down to the tunnels? Does he think the corruption there will exacerbate my... condition? If so, I'll take the implicit advice. I won't make a fuss, so long as someone goes down there to investigate. I know how to stay put when needed."

Wade blinked, suddenly feeling a wave of uncertainty. He didn't know what would happen if Jax followed them either.

"
Uh... I... uhm..." he faltered.

"
I started texting you originally because I thought it was fishy he wanted to split you off specifically," Wade began. "But, then he said he'd investigate regardless so... I think he's just... concerned?"

Wade's voice rose an octave every step that he suggested Max could possibly have the best intentions.

It'd probably be best to just have Jax stay put, if know one knew, but having just agreed to go explore the tunnels with Max...

"
MMmmm," Wade groaned. He hissed, barely audibly, "please don't leave me alone with Max."

"
Unfortunately, as incapable of subtlety as he is, I think he knows best here," Jax added, exasperated. "It might be the only option if you want to finish the tunnel exploration."

"
Want to?" Wade asked, rhetorically. "Nooo. Did I just agree to? Kind of," he admitted.

Wade leaned into his shelf and groaned. He took a solid moment to take a deep breath before responding again. A really solid moment.

"
...Do you know," Wade asked, blandly, "if there's a good way to map the tunnel system without just tracing our steps?"

He seethed a measured exhale. "
The least we can do is try to figure out why the tunnels exist," Wade said, without a hint of excitement. "I'll tell Cato we aren't open today, too."

"
If you two go and visit the tunnels, to be efficient, I might be able to visit Cato and get the skinny on what's happening there," Jax added. "Divide and conquer."

"
As for the tunnels, no, I can't really tell you a better way. I can say that they're massive. They seem to span most of Inkopolis as the walk through the large tunnel and the exit we found on the other side started us at one end of the city and left us at another," Jax mused, "and the curvature of the walls on both ends that we were at suggest a circular or ovular shape. But other than that, we'd have to explore it to find out what's in it."

"Hmm," Wade contemplated, clicking his tongue.

"
Okay. If we're being efficient... Remember where we ended up following Cato last time? That's where he asked to meet us again," Wade said. "I'll text you the number he gave me," he said, already typing the number into his laptop's texting app.

"
I'll tag along with Max," Wade said begrudgingly, "and we'll try to scout out the rest of the tunnel. Maybe see if we can actually clue ourselves in about this occult business."

Having said that, Wade spared himself a small smile. "
You know, with both avenues covered, this honestly sounds like a plan," he said.

He paused for a second.

"
Are you, um…" Wade hesitated to ask this. "Are you sure you've got this? ...Is your phone still not melted?

"
Kzzzzrt," Jax said, making obviously over-exaggerated onomatopoeia. "No, the kssssh phone is pfffff picking me up poorly. …In essence, yes. Yes I'm fine. The phone is still fine. It's a bit of a strain, but I'll get used to it. And besides, it's a useful ability to have, since I already know how to fight hand to hand, and I expect if I get it down, it'll be pretty good for protection as well."

"Holy... krakens," Wade said, stunned. "Did you just joke?"

He didn't exactly know how to react, trying to recall if Jax had actually made some sort of jest earlier.

After a moment, Wade started to genuinely chuckle. This was the first note of lightness, all morning, that he didn't have to make himself. Besides Agatha screwing around in the background, that is.

"
You are dying," he laughed. "That basically makes Max a certified physician now."

"I guess so. I think we're all dying. Immortality hasn't been developed yet," Jax joked. "But yeah. Don't worry about me. I'll manage. I always do."

"
Mmhm," Wade agreed, with a bit more certainty. "Okay, I need to bike over there. Let's set this plan in motion."

"
See you soon."

Last edited:

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Alga took her time moving to a stand, keeping her eyes on the clutter around her feet as she tiptoed her way around. The mirror was held firm in her hand, still as pristine as ever, and she barely chanced a glance at it as she made her way towards the door, nodding idly at the Word sitting in the reflection. She could see the sun shining through the blinds of her room as she passed them by and idly she wonder exactly what time it was.

The trip down towards the kitchen was a quiet one. Nothing seemed to move, and from the lack of sound she guessed her family was still sleeping away. It was tempting to bring the mirror up and speak to the Word, if only because she had nothing else to do, but she thought better of it after a second's pause. It would probably look weird talking to a mirror, even if she was the only one hanging out right now...

The hole hung to greet her upon her entry to the kitchen, as still and black as it always was, and Alga's jaw locked as she grit her teeth at the sight. Still, despite her speeding heart and the steady stream of memories slowly beginning to pour in from yesterday, she forced her feet into action, maneuvering towards the fridge and prying it open with mechanical fingers. Too lazy to cook or do much of anything, she decided on a healthy breakfast of ham and leftover pizza and settled at the counter to eat with her back turned stiffly to the gaping absence behind her.

Eating could only consume so much of her time, though, and she found herself finished before really realizing it. Staring at her empty plate and with nothing to really do aside from play more video games, Alga eventually turned to the mirror sitting beside her and spoke quietly.

"Is there...anything you would feel like doing?"

They seemed present all the time, regardless of what she did. As fun as entertaining herself was, she didn't necessarily want to leave them by themselves the entire day...

Hesoca

Full Squid
((OOC: Posting leftovers from talk.))

“Your sis-“ Max began, but by then the line was dead.

It was a moment before Max hung up himself. He cupped the phone in his hands hesitantly, his thumb running over redial without much thought or form. Sister. The word repeated in his thoughts, an echo of that kid's voice.

A memory played in sound alone. "As they say," it said, "I had an older sibling. So I know to how to-."

Max stopped it there. There was no need to listen. He knew what came next.

For several seconds, he did not move. The phone fell and flew in his hands with clumsy, loud shuffles.

...Fry,” he found himself saying. The phone returned to his pocket. Max stared at the ground, thought-gazed, before pushing his way out and into the foyer.

Wait for Wade

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Three phone calls, one half of a text thread and already a makeshift plan for the day. Wade finally set his phone down on his bed and took a giant exhale.

Phew.

It was only morning, and yet plans were already being set in motion. Jax would meet with Cato and do whatever Jax was going to do, so that end was covered. Now, Wade's focus was on his own tasks laid ahead of him.

It was inevitably another day spent exploring the tunnels and possibly wandering into suspicious occult run off. So exciting? Of course, now that he was expecting whatever the Deep could throw at him, Wade's main cause of concern now would be Max. Yeah, that would be exciting.

And it was currently pressing. He needed to be there before Max got bored of waiting.

Wade had pulled a shirt over his head, earlier in the phone call, and was mostly dressed except for shoes and headgear. He moved briskly around his apartment speeding through morning dailies, like throwing a breakfast sandwich in the microwave and brushing his teeth.

There were two things he needed to decide quickly before he left. Firstly, what Wade needed to bring.

What the shell were in his panniers? The answer to that was paranoia compelled inventory from a night or two ago, plus a lighter and some granola bars. He rifled through them quickly to see if it was fine to take the bags as is. There was the standard bike repair gear, an extra set of gear, a spare phone charger, earbuds, a metric ton of pens....

Wade removed the extra-extra clothes and extra-extra pens and the other miscellaneous electronics he had stuffed in the other day, hastily shoving them under his bed. As Wade did that, he reached for the silver hand mirror, sure that the reality it reflected would be invaluable in some niche way, but...

Wade stopped himself. It didn't seem like anyone could see the mirror, since no one brought it up yesterday, but if he wanted to check everything in the reflection, Max would definitely notice him looking into his hands all the time. Just a casual imaginary/invisible hand mirror.

He paused, then left the mirror where it was. Max was already prompted to do this tunnel expedition from Jax's ooze power; they didn't need to have a conversation about this magic reality mirror quite yet.

Besides, it wasn't like he didn't examine the mirror the whole walk back last night. Reality, as it was, reflected back like a normal mirror the entire time. He was fairly sure he deal with the weird stuff without the mirror's reflection, anyway.

Wade stood up, bags packed adequately light and functional.

There was one last thing before he left. The most important thing.

Wade snatched his pair of splash goggles off his shelf, wearing them around his neck.

Last night, Jax had needed to borrow Max's goggles to get close to the drill, but now... Wade had his own eyes protection! This fashion choice was functional and he wasn't going 'twinsies' with Max. How perfect was that?

He felt like deserved a pat on the back this. Splash goggles? Brilliant.

He wasn't even wearing these goggles to mimic one of his friends. He was 100% taking their advice to dress smart and stylish, and Kishiko would be proud. If she ever found out about this. Which would be never.

Goggles equipped, Wade had no more necessary delays. He was still 'not exactly' ready to go spelunking with Max, but... there was always the chance that he could talk Max out of this. Maybe...?

First things first, it was time to head to Cap'ns. Then he'd figure it out from there.

Go To: Cap'n's house

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn and @Hesoca

Wade ==> Go to Cap'n's House; Max ==> Wait

Wade got outside, ready to put the pedal to the metal; time was of the essence. Without further ado, he adjusted the weight on his bike and burned some rubber... as much as a bicycle could anyway.

When he got to the older district where the Cap'n's house was, he was pleased to see the roads were nearly clear. Whatever group was cleaning up was getting better at it. Roads were still cracked, so it was still a bumpy ride... nonetheless, there was a lot less debris to dodge.

Biking back home last night had been a nightmare, not to mention the distraction of the mirror he couldn't help glancing at. Reflecting, Wade glanced at his fist where, just last night, he'd clutched two handles: the bike's and the strange artifact's.

But it wasn't just a memory. In his hand was
the mirror.

He almost lost control and crashed.

Had it... had it warped? The heck!?

Wade slowed down. He was almost at the Cap'n's house anyway. Getting off his bike, heart pounding, he slipped the mirror into his bag. Guess he couldn't leave home without it. Literally.

It wasn't long before he was at the Cap'n's place. He was climbing over the fallen tree when Jax invited him in. Didn't even have to knock.

"
Glad you could make it. I think it's time we discussed plans officially with Max," Jax said. Skipping pleasantries Jax and Wade knocked on the door to the room where Max had been waiting. "Wade's here."

@Banshee

Alga ==> Talk to the Word

"Is there...anything you would feel like doing?" Alga asked, finishing her meal.

"
¿ʇuǝɯoɯ ʇuǝɹɹnɔ ǝɥʇ uᴉ ɹo ʎllɐɹǝuǝƃ ƃuᴉʞɐǝdS" The Word replied. "˙ɹǝʌǝʍoɥ 'ʎllɐɯɹou puodsǝɹ oʇ ǝʌɐɥ ll,I ˙ʎɐʍ ʇɐɥʇ puodsǝɹ puɐ sʇɥƃnoɥʇ ɹnoʎ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ I ˙ʎlᴉɯɐɟ ɹnoʎ oʇ lɐnsnun ƃuᴉɹɐǝddɐ ʇnoqɐ pǝᴉɹɹoʍ ǝɹ,noʎ ʍouʞ I 'osl∀"

"
I...you can?" A vague pull at her memory prompted her to furrow her brow, but she brushed it to the side and nodded after a moment longer. "A-Alright.

"I was just...thinking in the moment, I guess. B-But, whatever works or you..." She hadn't exactly been thinking specifics when she asked.

"¿ʍou ʇɥƃᴉɹ ʇuɐʍ I ʇɐɥM ˙ǝɹnsun ˙˙˙ɯ,I ˙uoᴉʇsǝnb ppo u∀" The Word mused, scratching her chin thoughtfully as Alga ate.

It took a long time. Longer than the Word had ever taken to answer a question. "
˙llᴉɟlnɟ oʇ ʎʇnp ɐ ǝʌɐɥ I 'ʍouʞ noʎ sɐ 'ʇnq ˙ƃuᴉʇɐllᴉʇᴉʇ ǝq plnoʍ uoᴉʇɐɔᴉɹqɐɟ ʎɯ ɟo ɹǝpɹo ǝslɐɟ ɐ ɥƃnoɹɥʇ uʍo ʎɯ ɟo plɹoʍ ɐ ɹǝʌo pɹol oʇ ǝsuǝs ɐ uI ˙uoᴉʇɔᴉɟ ǝʇᴉɹʍ oʇ ǝʌol p,I"

She listened quietly as they mused, keeping her mouth shut as they thought it over before continuing on. The silence stretched afterwards with her musing, staring downwards in contemplation.

"
...Do you want me to write for you, then?"

It wasn't something she did all too often, more taken with reading and playing guitar truthfully. But it didn't sound like a bad idea. It even sounded like fun a little bit.

"'ǝɔuɐlɐq ǝɥʇ uᴉ plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ʇnq ˙sdɐɥɹǝd 'ǝɯᴉʇ uI" she motioned in the reflection to where the hole was in reality, "˙ǝɔᴉɟɟns plnoʍ uoᴉʇɐᴉlᴉɟɟɐ uᴉɐɯop ɹǝdoɹd puɐ ǝɔuǝpᴉʌoɹd ǝuᴉʌᴉp ɥʇᴉʍ ǝuoʎuɐ ˙˙˙ɹǝpɹO ǝɥʇ ɟo ʇsǝᴉɹd ɹo ǝldɯǝʇ ∀ ˙ɹǝpɹO ʇsǝɥƃᴉH ɟo ƃuᴉǝq ǝɥʇ oʇ pǝuɹɐǝl ǝʌ,ǝʍ ʇɐɥʍ ʎɐlǝɹ oʇ pǝǝu I ˙ʞsɐʇ punoq-ʎʇnp ʎɯ pɹɐʍoʇ ƃuᴉʌoɯ ʇɹɐʇs oʇ ɹǝɟǝɹd p,I"

Alga frowned. Alright, not that then. But...

"
Who is…the Order?"

It sounded religious. She knew of a few churches out and about, but they were few and far in between, and she didn't know whether they had any organized religious followers or not. They could, but...it seemed so out of fashion.

"
˙sI ɥɔᴉɥʍ ʇɐɥʇ ɟo ɹoʇɐǝɹƆ ǝɥ┴ ˙ɹǝpɹO sǝʌɹǝs ɹǝpɹO ǝɥʇ 'ɹǝʌǝʍoH ˙sǝᴉƃolodɐ ʎW ˙ƃuᴉpɐǝlsᴉɯ sᴉ ,ɹǝpɹO ǝɥ┴,"

Okay then...

"
Where can I find a...priest or temple of the Order, you think...?"

"˙ǝʌɐɥ ʇɥƃᴉɯ noʎ uoᴉʇsǝnb ʎuɐ oʇ ʎǝʞ ǝɥʇ ploɥ noʎ 'ɹǝʌǝʍoH ˙ʍouʞ ʇ,uop no⅄ ˙ʍouʞ ʇ,uop I"

"...H-How? With these, um...powers? The mirror...?" She took it into her hand, bringing it a bit closer and looking at the Word with the frown still marring her expression.

As the Word nodded, the image in the mirror clouded.

Alga attempted to focus on the Order. Unsure what that was based on the Word's description, she couldn't form an exact idea in her head.

She tried to imagine the idea of... a group of people, but the fog in the mirror remained. When she tried to imagine it as a building, the mirror did not react as expected.

It started with an image of her house, but expanded, and expanded, from neighborhood, to country, to continent, to their vastly water-covered planet, to the solar system, to the galaxy, speeding up ever greater until all that she could see was an infinite void of space. Even so, she could feel the vastness expanding.

Alga stopped focusing on
that image.

She blinked, letting out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. While the Word had been cryptic, at least that cleared up something about what the Order was. Not so much as an organization as it just...was.

After a second, Alga focused again, this time concentrating on a temple dedicated to it. That should garner more results, right...?

Unconsciously, Alga's focus began with the image she now had of
'Order.' The vast reality of existence itself. But with some effort, the idea shaped itself to a building. A building dedicated to Order.

The mirror flickered. A lot. Images appeared and disappeared. Libraries. Schools. Laboratories.
Renditions of 'order' as Alga saw it flickered by, but she dismissed them. No. Not... 'order...' 'Order.'

Religious undertones concentrate the results. At first there were churches and basilicas in general. After some moments Alga recognized this resulted as she thought about religion more than the idea of
order. Backtracking led back to houses of learning.

Like tuning a radio, Alga bit her lip trying to find the right mix of the ideas until it clicked. Finally, there was just one.

A temple, worn by time and cloaked in shadow, appeared in the portal. Its features' majesty had faded. To match, the ground was gray, colorless, featureless. A dark waterfall completed the backdrop to the bland other-world.

Alga could feel a vague headache coming on as she struggled to concentrate on the delicate balance between ideas of what she needed, and she stared at the gloomy image in front of her with a familiar tinge of fear in her gut.

"
It's..." She paused, hesitated, started again. "It...seems like it's in...my world...?"

That was the only explanation she could come up with for such an area. No other place was that dark on its own.

Almost as if in response to her saying so, the image bifurcated. Two instances of the world showed. The dull image retreated for a beautiful one. The clay, gray ground gave way to another world... a greener one with grass and carefully tended gardens. Birds hovered in midair, as if frozen in a photograph.

Was this... the
'real' counterpart of the temple? Or…

Alga stared, uncertain of what she was looking at. It seemed real, but at the same time it seemed...fake. She didn't like those stiff birds.

"
Do you...know what this is...?"

"˙ʇ,usᴉ ǝuO ˙sᴉ ǝuO"

The words appeared, written on the mirror, but the two images remained, obfuscating the Word somewhere in whatever nonreal location it was housed.

Okay then...

She concentrated on the colored image with a quirk in her mouth, trying to put forth the mental idea of figuring out where it was in the world. She had to get there somehow, although it didn't seem like it was nearby…

The two images became to widen in scope to increase more. However, there was a problem with both.

The second, beautiful island opened up to reveal more of itself... a blue sky... picturesque hills... and more and more until she realized that this was an island. An island floating in the sky.

The first widened to reveal more of its dreary landscape, void of features besides craters. And then it clicked. She knew this place: she'd walked it just yesterday. Octo Valley.

Two worlds and two different impossibilities.

Her brain stalled as she processed the information, her mouth hanging open by just a bit as she stared. Memories flashed through, a familiar pink squid searing itself in her mind.

She had expected somewhere, anywhere, but not this place. Really, she hadn't expected either of the locations, and her brow furrowed as she glanced between them.

"
The dark one's...in Octo Valley. But the other one is on a floating island..."

"˙sɐʍ puɐ sᴉ ʇᴉ s∀" the Word mused, as it came back into focus. "¿ɥsᴉuᴉɟ oʇ ɹǝɟǝɹd noʎ plnoʍ ɹO ¿ʍou oƃ ǝʍ ʎɐW"

With the world around Alga back in focus, it became clear the Word was pointing at some leftover food. Right... breakfast.

Alga glanced down at the remains of her meal, staring a minute before shaking her head. "I'm fine." She had already finished, anyway…

"¿ʎpɐǝɹ noʎ ǝɹ∀ ˙opɐ ǝɔɐɟ uǝɥʇ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos oʇuᴉ noʎ ɥsnɹ oʇ ʇuɐʍ ʇuop I"

"...Should I bring anything? How long will it take, you think..." From the looks of it, it seemed like she was going to have to crawl back through the mirror again....

The Word shook its head. "˙ɹǝʇɐʍ ɟo ɹɐɾ ɐ puɐ 'ɥ∀ ˙ɹǝʌǝʍoɥ 'ƃuᴉɹq oʇ ǝsuǝs ǝʞɐɯ ʇɥƃᴉɯ uodɐǝʍ ∀ ˙uᴉɐʇɹǝɔ ɹoɟ ʎɐs ʇouuɐɔ I 'ǝɯᴉʇ ɹoɟ s∀"

"A jar of...?"

She stared as her brow ****ed. That...didn't make sense, but...maybe it was just part of a ritual or something...?

A weapon... Alga took a breath. So it was dangerous, it sounded like... But...

"
A-Am I going to get splatted...?"

"˙ʇɐɥʇ ɟo ǝɹɐʍɐ ʇou ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟᴉ oƃ oʇ noʎ ʇuɐʍ ʇ,uop I ˙sǝʎ 'ʞsᴉɹ ɐ sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴"

"
What's...the risk...?"

"
˙ʞsᴉɹ sǝʌoɹd ʇɐɥʇ ǝɔuɐɹouƃᴉ puɐ slɐʇɹoɯ ɟo plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ sᴉ ʇI ˙oN ˙suoᴉʇɐǝɹɔ sᴉɥ llɐ sǝʌol ɹǝpɹO ʇsǝɥƃᴉH ɟo ƃuᴉǝq ǝɥ┴ ˙puᴉɯ lɐɹnʇɐuɹǝdns ƃuᴉɥʇoN ˙ʎɐs ʇouuɐɔ I" The reflection shook its head. "˙ƃuol ooʇ ʎʇᴉlɐǝɹ ɯoɹɟ ǝuoƃ uǝǝq ǝʌɐɥ I"

"...O-Okay."

It didn't sound very pleasant, but maybe if she could stay in the
other world long enough to avoid it... It might not turn out as bad. Maybe.

"
...I-I can try..."

"
˙noʎ ɟo ʞsɐ uɐɔ I llɐ sᴉ ʇɐɥ┴" The Word wrote, smiling. "˙ǝʌᴉǝɔǝɹ llɐɥs noʎ puɐ ʞs∀ ˙ʎpɐǝɹ ƃuᴉǝq ʇnoq∀ ˙llɐ ɹǝʇɟɐ 'pɐǝɥɐ ƃuᴉuuɐld ʇnoqɐ llɐ sᴉ ʎʇᴉlᴉqɐ ɹno⅄ ¿ǝɔɐɟ ʇɥƃᴉɯ noʎ sʇɐǝɹɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ ɹǝpᴉsuoɔ noʎ uɐƆ ¿ɹǝuuɐɯ ʎlǝɯᴉʇ ɐ uᴉ ǝldɯǝʇ ǝɥʇ ɥɔɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ǝɹɐ noʎ ʍoɥ ɟo ʞuᴉɥʇ noʎ uɐƆ"

"...W-Well," Alga looked down at the Word as thoughts ran through her mind, frowning. "I-I'd figured I would just...go through that world and reach the temple there..." It seemed the quickest route, considering what she had done before...

"
I...I'm...not sure what to ask. I'm not good at turf wars, o-or fighting... I just..." She swallowed. "I just want to know how to...a-avoid it, if possible..."

"
¿ƃuᴉʇɥƃᴉɟ pᴉoʌɐ oʇ pǝǝu oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ noʎ ǝɹɐ ʇɐɥM ˙lɐoƃ pooƃ ɐ s,ʇɐɥ┴"

"I...don't know. I just...thought I might sneak past or around, or..."

"
¿plɹoʍ ɹnoʎ ɹǝʇuǝ noʎ op ʍoH"

"A mirror...?" She blinked. There weren't going to be any mirrors over there, were there?

"˙dlǝɥ ʇɥƃᴉɯ ʇɐɥʇ sƃuᴉɥʇ ɹoɟ ʞoo˥ ˙pɐǝɥɐ uɐlԀ ˙ʇɐɥʇ ǝʇɐƃᴉʇᴉɯ uɐɔ noʎ ʇnq ˙ʞsᴉɹ ɐ s,ʇɐɥ┴"

"
So, um...look for reflections...? That sort of thing?"

The Word nods, smiling. "
˙ƃuᴉɥʇʎuɐ ʇsoɯlɐ ɹoɟ uɐld uɐɔ noʎ 'ɹǝʍod ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉM"

"...Okay..."

Everything had a reflection, she mused. It...didn't sound all too bad. Just as long as she kept near one of them...

Last edited:

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
It wouldn't be off the mark to say that Alga had hoped today would be little more than a lazy day, filled with guitar playing, video games, and net browsing. Anything that gave her a semblance of normalcy against the backdrop of yesterday's chaos. But considering how the day had already started, she supposed those hopes had been dashed from the get-go, and with the Word's request, she didn't think she was going to have a normal day for awhile yet.

The kitchen was cleaned up in silence, perhaps a little slower than necessary to give her time to stall. When that was finished, she hesitated only a second before moving for the fridge and cracking it open, reaching in to draw out the nearly-empty pickle jar sitting inside. There was only one left and it took no time at all to eat, flushing the remaining juice in the sink in the meantime to replace it with water. It was /sorely/ tempting to ask the Word what this could possibly be for, but they weren't the best at conversation...

Alga sealed the jar tight once the water had reached the lip and levelled it with a small look before traipsing back into her room with it and the mirror held securely in her arms. Settling both on the bed, her clothes which had been tossed unceremoniously to the floor the night previously were scooped up without thought and swapped with her pajamas. Her glasses were plucked from their resting spot and deposited on her face and she gave herself only the smallest of once-overs before gravitating towards the closet, cracking it open to reach inside for her gun case...

...which was absent.

"...Oh, Squid. I-- ...think I left it back at the base. Ohh, squid oh squid...!" Of course had had forgotten the stupid thing in Octo Valley-!

Alga looked at the mirror, swallowing with a frown on her face. If she had these weird, freaky powers that let her move around, then...

"...D-Do you think I could go get it? Before this, I mean..."

It had been a gift. she really didn't feel like losing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom