• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

-Missing- IC Thread: RP Cast Filled

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Magabelle looked around in a bit of a panic, searching for any trace of where Canchi was... but she calmed down shortly after, panic being replaced by guilt and regret. She had left someone to die. What would Canchi think of her now, if he was still alive...?

Shaking those thoughts to the back of her mind, Mag, with a nervous glance around and a gulp, started the walk to the celebrity cousins' house, avoiding the grey puddle of what she assumed to be the liquid from Canchi's injuries. She hoped that him suddenly disappearing meant that he had managed to get himself to safety.

At least she could continue the surprisingly perilous search for One's guitar teacher.

Go To: Squid Sister's House

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
Lili couldn't help but shrug slightly when Felix asked what happened, "It's not much..." The pink inkling stated before giving Germana a small thanks; eyeing the sword before thanking Germana before following Felix. The group then made their way to the exit, following a different set of Kettles. When they came out, they were in a small control center filled with computer equipment. Felix then made an ink rail and explained how they worked, everyone then followed suit.

When they got the top of the stairs; Felix then explained the situation -- listening intently to his words before giving a nod of affirmation. She seemed to be surprised at the fact that she was paired with Germana; pouting she nodded her head, hah, this was going to be interesting right? She seemed fairly perplexed when Felix called her, trotting over she listened to him.

"Hm~?" Lili tilted her head; "Trust her and try to bond with her?" She questioned before nodding her head, "Alright, I will try." She didn't know how it would turn out but it was worth a shot, right?

Lili and Germana were soon directed to a to pad. The duo landed somewhere... uninteresting. Lili did recognize a port, where a zapfish would normally power the area. "Hm~? Don't zapfish power there?" She motioned to the port, squinting into the darkness, before she followed Germana to the next rail. "Flooders?" Lili innquired; "What are flooders?" The inkling questioned.

Talk to; Germana

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn DE Points: 1
Wade ==> Talk To: Jax.

Soon...
@xCoCo 1 DE Point

Lili ==> Talk To: Germana

Soon...

@Banshee 1 DE Point

Alga ==> Examine: Surroundings

Alga found herself alone at the top of a platform that quickly inclined downwards. However, from here, she had a clear view of the two tiered area.

The path, to begin, only had one path: the incline. This area broke down into three parts. The first was directly at the bottom; there was a quickly curving ramp that would allow one to reach the two-tiered platform, which seemed to be constructed entirely from metal crates, not dissimilar to those that can be found loaded on railroads. This bottom area was small, but there were a lot of steel beams where someone could slip something through or hide in...

On the first and only tier that appeared easily accessible, branched off into two paths, though if Alga's intuition was correct, these would simply meet up again on the other side. Not only that, it looked like Felix and Brutus were already beginning to fork down those paths.

> Base Pool 3, +1 Mental Mapping
> Dice Pool 4
> Successes 5 (Congratulations, this is the first occurrence in our RP of a success amount greater than the Dice Pool!)

Considering all the options, however... Alga realized that the upper platforms weren't entirely inaccessible! No, if she just got a boost and could grab that ledge, well, she could probably scramble up to the second tier. She couldn't quite make out what was there, but there was definitely some sort of device. She'd just need help from one of them.

...probably Brutus, as he'd be less of a jerk about it.

Alga's Logic List of Options:

Do Nothing... let them handle it
Search the Bottom of the Incline
Search the First Tier of the Tower
Ask Brutus for a boost to the Second Tier

@VeryButter 2 DE Point

Mag ==> Go To: Squid Sister's House

Well... here she was. The Squid Sister's house. What was it she'd heard again about the place? It felt so long ago that Canchi had found out from a neighbor that Alga had been making her way to the house.

Now that she was here, Mag had to wonder... what now? She stood here outside the house, no closer to finding the mysterious guitar teacher One had been looking for. ...Honestly, it felt a little hopeless.

Sitting down on the curb, Mag looked off to the distance. She'd left him there. Canchi... was he okay? Deep below, she hoped so. Now that all the elation had passed things just seemed... lost.

Letting her gaze turn, Mag found the first ray of light she'd had in the past thirty minutes: someone had left a
stale pack of gummies here, conveniently and for no canonical purpose whatsoever. Gleefully, she picked these up and placed them in her totally-non-esoteric inventory right next to her empty slot reserved for two gun.

With her hope revitalized, she figured that there was only one thing to do: search the house! Or... at least maybe ask some people if they'd seen a brown-inked Inkling around here.

@Hesoca 2 DE Points

Max ==> Talk To: Cap’n Cuttlefish

Soon...

((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

Reminders:

Posts are Due: Oct 20th at Midnight PST
Gm Post will be Made: Oct 23rd

Will be Responded to in GM Post:
Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]
Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
Sleep [use this when there's nothing left you can do, logically, in the day]
Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]

Will be Responded to Immediately:
Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]
Pick Up [use this action on something you want to hold onto]
Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]
Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
Search For [use like examine but for things that may or may not be there]
Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]

Last edited:

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Alga chewed her lip, watching in a bit of a growing panic as she saw Brutus walk away. She had a decision to make, but he was leaving and soon she wouldn't be able to really ask. Ah Squid, okay, review-- One spot led to the base of the second tier, one spot forked and both Felix and Brutus had a hold of that, and there looked to be something up on the second tier platforms. Of course, she didn't know what it was, but it seemed like it was a more interesting prospect than what she had going for her. Only, she needed a boost and she wasn't that good with heights, and Brutus was steadily walking further away-

The little squid's heart practically almost burst through her chest, and without thinking she rushed over to Brutus' side just as he turned the corner. Okay, Felix couldn't see, that was good. Made her less of an embarrassment...

"H-Hey," Alga began, taking a deep breath and exhaling to calm herself from the very hasty decision she had come to. This was so dumb, she'd superjumped before this! "Uh. Do you mind-- Is it okay if you helped me up there?" Alga pointed towards the upper platform and frowned. "I-I can turn into a squid if that makes it easier for you?"

Sure Brutus was kind of a powerhouse, but it was always kind to ask. Didn't need to be a bother.

Ask: Brutus

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Magabelle, after taking a quick glance around the property and it's surrounding buildings... realised that she hadn't actually planned what she was going to do once she got to the celebrity cousins' house. Was she going to... search the house for a trace of Alga's presence? But Mag barely knew what Alga looked like, let alone anything that would tell her that the brown squid had been here. She brought a hand to her face in frustration--she needed to think things through, damnit.

Taking the hand from her face and clenching it into a fist, Mag took a moment to breathe. Alright... what can I do?

Search the house? ...no, I'd rather leave that as a last resort.

...Ask around if anyone's seen her...?

Yeah. With another look around the area, Mag began her search again, repeating in her head what to say so that she was prepared.

Search For: People Who May Have Seen Alga

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Alga ==> Ask Brutus

"H-Hey, Uh. Do you mind-- Is it okay if you helped me up there?" Alga pointed towards the upper platform, frowned. "I-I can turn into a squid if that makes it easier for you?"

Brutus looked confused for a second, then, looking from Alga to the platform, then back to Alga again, he smiled. "O'course!" With no questions, he lifted Alga off the ground, before she even changed to her squid form.

It took Alga a moment to react to what had just happened but after a moment, she adjusted, found her courage, and slowly began to stand up. First on her knees, then one leg, then another; she was standing on Brutus' shoulders as she found her grip on the ledge to the second tier.

Pulling herself up was harder than she expected--it always looked so easy when her cousins did it, or it was done in movies--but after a bit of a struggle, she was in the odd building/platform. Goal, achieved. Now, to look around.

The platform itself was uninteresting.

> Base Pool 3, Knowledgeable +1
> Dice Pool 4
> 1 Success on Knowledge roll

Alga wasn't that sure what the platform was for but she at least recognized that the portion in the center was a place to insert a Zapfish, like in power plants or personal generators.

Looking to the side, she saw another platform that could be considered in the second tier, and would be within reach if she jumped... looked like there was a superjump platform that would allow access to another area in the junkyard?

> Base Pool 3
> Dice Pool 3
> 1 Success on Passive Perception

Just as Alga was about to prepare for the jump, she was grabbed from behind--her first reaction was to scream, but before she could, she found a hand in her mouth, stifling her outcry. "Shh..." said someone from behind her. "I'm here to save you..." the person whispered.

The hand that was blocking Alga's mouth slowly was removed. Alga turned to see a frumpy-looking Inkling standing behind her. The girl was shorter than her, with pleading silver eyes, forest-green ink and dark skin. She pointed toward the power adapter... then jumped in, shifting into a squid in the process.

Alga, a bit flabbergasted, went over to look at the Inkling. There was... plenty of space in the hole.

...what now?

Alga's Logic List of Options:

Uh... maybe hide with the Inkling?
Let Brutus know... he seems like he wouldn't say anything (might worry Inkling)
Let Felix know, he's the leader and will know what to do (might worry Inkling)
Ask the Inkling why she's hiding?

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Search For: People Who May Have Seen Alga

...searching an abandoned home is definitely the last resort. So, time to look for people around here that might have some idea of where Alga might be.

> Base Pool 3; Recent Event +1
> Dice Pool 4
> 3 Successes

The first house that Magabelle tried was the neighbor of the Squid Sisters. If Alga had really been around here, then they would be the most likely to have seen... she hoped.

Ringing the doorbell, Mag waited until a young boy came to the door.

"Hi?" He said, timidly. "No it's not a salesperson mom!" he added, maybe not loudly enough for anyone else in the house to hear.

Mag asked him about Alga but he seemed confused... until she mentioned an Inkling with brown tentacles. The boy opened up quickly enough, talking about when he was looking through the fence into the Squid Sister's backyard how he say three Inklings waiting there for some reason!

Eventually they got to talking and then they went in through the back door of the Sisters' house...?

What was Alga doing there?

Mag thanked the boy then returned to the Sisters' house. Three people entered the house... who were the other two?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Wade ==> Talk: Jax

"AAaaaaaaah, someone followed you this time," Wade began, frantic. "And he's a PSYCHOPATH," unceremoniously flinging the paper Jax.

Picking the slip up off the ground, Jax said, "yes, he can because I invited him. I won't deny he has his problems, but I assure you, once you gain his trust, he will be an invaluable ally."

Wade gave a dumbfounded stutter. "...Is that supposed to make this better somehow? That you intentionally invited him?" he asked.

Wade gave a dry slightly hysterical laugh. " And trust him? I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, and wow," he tacked on ironically, "seems like he thinks the same!"

"The type who grow to be vigilantes come there from loneliness," Jax said, an air of honesty coming from his voice. "I promise, he'll come around."

Jax began walking toward the house, urging Wade to follow, "I do have to apologize for something though; I expected this to happen. But I wanted to see how you would do in a situation involving danger. You handled yourself quite well."

Expecting to need a rebuttal, Wade held up a finger to question the seemingly short discussion, but decided to drop it. Sure, he was confused about this whole setup, but he followed Jax anyway.

Wade blinked at the response. "I... I guess..." he answered, noncommittally. That certainly hadn't felt like his best display of ink battling.

"You made the right decision," Jax said, reaching the door. "Instead of engaging, you obfuscated, bought yourself enough time, and ran away. Not everyone makes the proper decision in a stressful situation."

Before he let them both in, he turned to Wade and went, "honestly, I was wondering if you would be able to handle things if they got rough. You're the first person I've worked with aside from Ash that I didn't hand-pick. As you can see, Ash isn't here. You are left. You passed."

Wade blinked again, this time staring wide-eyed at Jax. "What do you mean?"he asked. Nervously glancing down at the bamboozler for a moment, Wade pieced together Jax's words then asked "...Ash isn't coming?"

"She's better off safe, not knowing," Jax explained, opening the door to reveal a gruesome amount of red ink, not just on the floor, but on the walls... some even on the ceiling. "She spaced out in the middle of the scouting mission... that's a dangerous trait."

As they walked in, Jax synched with the .96 gal he'd had before, as he continued to explain, "though I wouldn't say you own my total trust either. But you've earned a place."

Seeing the point in Jax's words, Wade gave a wry smile, and answered, "Ah, thanks." Wade realized the shaky standing he was on currently, but it only made sense considering the situation.

"Euch, never have I been so disappointed to see red ink everywhere," Wade mumbled, as he flipped the bamboozler into ready position.

Jax began to spray the corridor with his ink, making him a path through to the stairs. "Honestly, it seems almost eerie," he said, finishing his loose barrage, the spray uneven in nature, but enough to cross."

"Did you know some creatures have something called blood?" Jax mentioned, hopping from one of his puddles to another. "And that the color of which is usually red when oxidized?"

Wade gave Jax an odd look, as he started inking precise paths in parallel, following behind.

"You say that like you've never met a shark before," Wade remarked. "Like, my friend Charla got a nosebleed this one time, and it didn't look quite like this, but it was mess, and it definitely didn't evaporate."

"I suppose," Jax responded. "It's just an interesting concept, blood."

As they got closer to the stairs, the oily smell of mixing inks, gave way to a pleasant smell of... was that crab cakes? "I see the old man has gotten to baking again. One must have their hobbies, I suppose."

Wade gave a short glance down to the bamboozler he was wielding with a grin. Yeah, an old splatoon captain taking up baking and plushie sewing was pretty endearing, to say the least.

Curious, Wade flippantly asked, "You know the Cap'n from something besides news writing?"

"Yes," Jax said, smiling. "I was an agent of his."

Agent? There was that word again. Like Cato mentioned. They... captured Octavio? Or something, right....?

"Agent...?" Wade began, obviously confused, but trying to rack his memory for something important about the role. "Uh... sounds cool."

Wow, that sounded lame. "Uh, I mean" Wade stuttered, trying to fix that sentence. "I'd imagine being an Agent for Cap'n would mean doing some serious stuff." ...Still a terrible response.

"Enough," Jax replied, taking a seat on the stairs. "We should wait a bit. It sounds like the Captain and our new recruit are talking."

"Yeah, alright." Wade took a seat on one of the steps, getting comfy and resting his chin on the upright bamboozler. After a moment he turned his head to Jax, trying to offhandedly mention calling Cato, now that he remembered.

"Uhm, hey. So I called Cato back and I definitely learned some interesting things. Not sure how much of it is useful, though," Wade said.

"Oh?" Jax said, looking Wade straight in the eye. "What did we learn from our wayward Octoling?"

"Well," Wade began, almost not sure where to start. "Cato's part of an orphan octoling organization that Callie and Marie started?"

A bit sheepishly, Wade continued. "So obviously they're looking for their 'benefactors,'" he air quoted," but there hasn't been any luck on their end."

"...so they actually did it," Jax sighed, smiling. "I find it funny how things come all the way around."

Wade leaned out past the bamboozler and shot an especially curious look towards Jax.

"What?? How could you know about this beforehand? There's no way they could have said anything about this to you in an interview," Wade exclaimed.

Jax smiled, nostalgically. "You'll find out soon enough."

Quickly changing the subject, he went on, adding, "so the orphaned are looking for their benefactors. And you're sure they haven't found anything?"

Wade gave a deflated sigh. "Okay, more like Cato said 'Oy'm nawt at liberty to tell you anythin' more,'" he mimicked badly.

With a shrug, Wade added, "It sounded like someone else was calling the shots and he needed to double check what he could reveal so... eh. I'm not sure."

"I see," Jax responded. "Well, I understand how that is. We'll just have to wait and see what he can tell us in the future."

"Excuse me if this is a bit soon," he continued, "but I was curious what you think of Max? I know his first impression wasn't the best, but what is your assessment... besides, perhaps, 'insane.'"

Wade groaned at the inevitable question. "UUUggh, how am I supposed to know?"

Trying to make a half-baked attempt to answer, he started listing, "Alright, well, he came at me with a Dynamo from inside a shrub when I was unarmed, ...and then tripped while trying to do that," Wade muttered, "and aside from accusing me of being a trespasser while he was also trespassing, his other first impressions were being seriously paranoid and copious amounts of trash-talking."

Wade grumpily crossed his arms for his spiel. That Max had no idea what he'd been saying... No idea.

"I see," Jax went. "I see, I see, I see."

He sighed, "sorry, little tick of mine. I say 'I see' a bit too much. Anyway... I think if anything he considers us enemies before anything else. It's important that we convince him; though he has his problems, he has quite a bit of experience in 'the field' as it were."

"...I hope the captain can calm him down," he finished.

Wade leaned over on the weapon and exhaled a smirk. Experience, huh?

"Okay, for what is worth," Wade began, "he didn't charge into a hallway with a sniper." Yeah, he started yelling dumb things at the sniper, which was just so much better. "So kudos for that," Wade reluctantly seethed.

"...I'm sorry," Jax said, reading Wade's tone.

Surprised, with the apology, Wade blinked back. "Why... are you...?" he stuttered. "I mean, aside from sorta setting this up and pitting me against him, I guess you could apologize for that, but.."

Wade gave a awkward grin, "Seriously, no one in the right mind would go picking a fight with a weapon they picked off the wall. Most of this was on me."

"I was going to have you fight regardless." Jax let his hand unfurl over his face, covering his features up almost in shame.

Wade flashed a homicidal grin. "Ahaha, Honestly? I will still fight him. I can fight him the moment he steps out of this room, now that I actually know the specs of this weapon. Is this still a thing that needs to happen?"

"No, no, I..." Jax began. "I shouldn't have actually let you fight outside of a controlled area. I thought I saw an opportunity and I took it, but I'm afraid damage has been done to ruin a relationship between us as a group. I shouldn't have let this happen."

He said it matter-of-factly, with only a slight hint of distress coming through. But then, Jax always seemed to be keeping things to himself.

Wade blinked at the earnest answer, not really knowing how to respond. He leaned his cheek into the end of the bamboozler and gave a dejected huffed.

Yeah yeah, there was more at stake then settling a score. Missing people to find. Wade's mind briefly flashed back to the only person he could think of when it came to those gone missing. ...She had gray eyes and an expression past cool composure to boredom. The same person he just had to mention, all for a taunt. Eurrgh.

Sitting up a bit and dragging his hands down his face to gather his thoughts, Wade quickly replaced the images in his mind with the people that were relevant now. The sisters... Annie...

With a sigh, Wade responded to Jax, "I get that we're going up something that requires a team to stand a chance." With a reluctant eyeroll, Wade said, "I won't shoot Max as soon as he comes through the door ....or try to start anything."

"Thanks," Jax said.

Last edited:

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
The touch came completely unexpected, and Alga certainly would have screamed had she not been muffled just before bellowing her lungs out. Her heart hammered in her chest, adrenaline rushing through her body almost like a tidal wave, and her entire body shook from the sheer force of the shock of it all. What- Who-?

A-Ah... An inkling girl...?

"S-Save...?"

And then the stranger was gone, leaving Alga to look on after her in befuddlement and uncertainty. Conflict churned through her mind, indecisiveness over whether to follow this girl or stick with her group, and she swallowed as she glanced back at the ledge leading towards the lower tier. They'd been looking for an intruder... Wait- This was them? It had to be...! Oh, squid, what did she do...?

She looked down at the Inkling in the hole, brow furrowing. What were they doing there? Was it because of the Octolings? She wasn't sure...

"What..." Alga paused to lick her lips. "W-What do I need saving from..?"

Talk: Unknown Inkling

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Max ==> Talk: the Cap'n

“Speaking of Jax’s friends… sir,” Max pried, “you… haven’t seen them around… have you?”

"Why, not since I saw ya downstairs not five minutes ago!" The Cap'n replied, chipper. "I figured ya were havin' a nice, sportin' chat, considerin' the time it was takin' ya to come up 'n' meet with Jax and me."

The old man played with his beard as he continued. "Why, I'm surprised ya missed Jax. He came down to meet ya both!"

Immediately, Max's eyes widened. That smarmy Inkling had been in the building the whole time...?!

"Don't know how I missed him, either." He glared towards the door to the hallway. At least now he knew why the ink-speck had disappeared.

He glanced between the Cap'n, then the door, and with another quiet shuffle, shifted toward the exit.

"Well, I should probably tell Jax that I'm here," he half-muttered, covering his malice with a forced grin, "Very nice to meet you, sir. "

"Ah, ya can't leave yet!" The cap'n said, moving surprisingly fast and grabbing Max by the shoulder. "Why, I haven't even gotten to tell ya about our business proposition for you! Ya remind me of meself when I was younger m'boy! All fire and passion, ohoho!" The last part was said in a tone that seemed silly, but the words were too pressing to ignore.

Their odd tone made for a perfect lead-in for the cap'n's next question: "boy, what do ya fight for?" No longer did the captain lace his words with frivolity. All the seriousness and superiority that Max had imagined for a captain of the Squidbeak Splatoon had somehow unearthed itself. The change was startling.

"I... Wha-..." Normally, Max had his heroic speeches rehearsed, but the sudden change in the Cap'n's demeanor left him balking at his own answer. He... he reminded the Cap'n of himself? The Cap'n... saw him as a hero? A real hero, like one who had fought on the front lines of battle, rushing grit-stained through the midst of enemy fire, their wounded comrades slung over their tired shoulders....

He... he was dreaming. He must've been dreaming. Was he dreaming? Shell, he had to be dreaming...

"I-I-I..."

In the blur of the situation, the roller in Max's hands slipped to his side, and he stood, mouth agape, the pupils of his eyes quivered. This... was real. This wasn't a dream.

So why the shell was he taking so much time to give an answer?!

"I fight for the people of Inkopolis, sir!" In an instant, Max broke from his trance, shouting with deafening confidence the speech he'd been itching to proclaim, "Defending them against crime and invasion, delivering them from the shadows that thrive underneath the city. I'm their protector, the Great Hero of Inkopolis!"

"Good, m'boy," the captain said. "The people never will understand. We're under constant danger! The Octolings could attack at any second. And who's ready?" The old inkling, stared deep into Max's eyes. "No one, m'boy! Not a one! Not even you, nor me! Not Jax, or his friend. Nobody!"

He let his grip release on Max, beginning to pace. "The difference is, that we know we aren't ready... we can only prepare for the oncoming tides of war to wax again!" Though the words were dramatic, the tone that the captain took was dead serious.

"We can't afford this kind of infighting," he continued. "What was your name, m'boy?"

"Max-i-mill-ian di Re, sir!" He saluted with all the gusto of an old-war hero, pausing on every syllable of his name for dramatic emphasis. His whole body shook with righteous fervor, all his anger redirected at the sound of his old enemy.

"Those damn creatures..." he waxed into a well-worn monologue, fury seeping into every word, "We drove them into the ground, crushed their rebellion into the dust, and yet, here they are again. Leaking. Crawling out of the confines of their prison and into the minds of the people."

The more Max spoke, the shakier his voice became, and his eyes, darting as wildly as his words, stared past the ground and into his thoughts. "They've corrupted them, damaged them... and now they've resolved to taking them. First the Squid Sisters, then the rest of those working on the plaza... standing in plain view, they've destroyed the lives of so many innocent civilians, and no one -- no one -- has done anything to stop them. No one but me." Breaking from his trance, he looked up toward the Cap'n, "...And you too, sir."

With a slam of his Dynamo and a sudden grin on his face, he broke out into a fit of excitement. "Is that what this proposal is about? That you've been tracking them, keeping watch, waiting for your chance to tear down their campaign. That's what it is, right? Crushing them. Freeing the people from the shackles of their shadows. That's what it is, isn't it? Isn't it?

"No, m'boy, I'm too old and frail now to embark on such a task," the captain said, sighing sadly. "That is why I have began to collect agents so that they may carry out my legacy and protect Inkopolis!"

The old man began pacing. It looked weird, considering his bamboozler-cane, as he hobbled around back and forth, but to Max, his air of command was complete. "Beginning with my dear, dear granddaughters, I started to train up agents! Defenders of Inkopolis, if you will. Jax, is Agent 3. I want you to be Agent 4."

"But..." the old man added, his ton growing sadder by the second, "my proposal, unfortunately, dear boy, is a sadder, more selfish one. My granddaughters, the very squid sisters ya mentioned before... they're missin'. I know you've been doin' all you can to help in searchin'. I want nothin' more than to see my little squiddies again..."

"W-wait a minute..." Max froze, wide-eyed, the Dynamo dropping to his side. "The Squid Sisters are your-?! ...Jax is-?!"

He stared, stunned, at the ground, momentarily remembering his anger in the excitement. The weird interviews. The high-level combat training Jax had. That fryin' battle in the Ink Tower. All this time he'd thought it was because of some underlying Deepview agenda. And yet, here the Cap'n was, calling Jax an agent. A vigilante. A fryin' hero.

With an internal growl, Max clenched a fist at his side. Him, working with Jax under Cap'n Cuttlefish? Hah. Like shell would he share his glory with that pompous know-it-all. ...And yet, here the Cap'n was, begging for Max's help. He was a victim in this, just like he was. How could a hero like Max deny a request like that?

Quietly, Max wandered over to the Cap'n and placed a hand on his shoulder, a bright, honest smile forming on his face. "Heh, I wouldn't say that's selfish," he consoled, chuckling with rare earnestness, "They're your grandkids, y'know? Any family would-"

He stopped mid-sentence, frowning. "... A lot of families would've done the same thing."

Leaning up from the Cap'n, he threw his Dynamo over his shoulder, beaming with an air of boldness and determination. "You've found the right soldier for the job, sir! I'll take that position, and find the Squid Sisters for you!"

He smashed a fist into his free hand. "...And I'll splatter the damn Octolings that took them."

"I trust ya will m'boy," Cuttlefish said, smiling. "I trust ya will." He receded back to his other persona--leaving the hanging question of whether it was real or an act--and he announced, "now, could ya help me with these crabby cakes! I fear if we don't take them out of the oven soon, they'll burn!"

The coffee, too, appeared to be finished, the coffeemaker filling the room with a rich aroma of roasted beans, adding to the warm atmosphere.

Max and the captain pulled the tray out of the oven, setting it on a cozy on a table in the center of the room. Cutting one free, Cuttlefish set the piping biscuit onto a plate to cool. Hobbling to the coffee machine he asked, "how do ya like your coffee, m'boy? Oh my, do ya even like coffee? I believe asking that slipped my mind! Comes with old age."

"Coffee's... alright." He muttered unconvincingly, setting his roller to the side. "I can work with whatever you have. I usually just... fill it out with creamer, anyway."

Crinkling his nose at the coffeemaker, he added, "Of course, you... wouldn't happen to have anything else lying around, would you, sir?"

"Jax tends to prefer tea, so he keeps leaves around," Cuttlefish said, his mug filled with the blackest coffee Max had ever seen. "But you'll need to boil some water yourself--there's a kettle in the top cabinet. On the far left."

"Tea." Max grumbled disappointedly, "Of course." Still, anything was better than whatever black tar the Cap'n was currently drinking.

With a sigh he tossed open the cupboard and popped the kettle out. "Y'know, speaking of him, sir," he started, filling the pot with water and setting it to boil, "When did Jax start working with you as an Agent?"

"Ahh..." the captain began, dragging the word out. "Time seems to be draggin' out with my old age. Hmmm... a year? Two years? M'boy I can't say for certain. For me it seems only a month ago!"

The captain took a bite of a crabcake, and a swig of the coffee--both of which appeared to be piping hot, but the old Inkling didn't so much as bat an eye as the scalding refreshments entered his mouth. Truly a man of steel.

"And when did you come to your calling as a defender?" the cap'n said between bites. "Jax has told me about your exploits... you've been busy despite your young age! Oho!"

With a frown, Max rifled through the collection of tea leaves sitting on the counter, the pot of water boiling softly behind him. His expression carried a look of obvious disappointment, though it was unclear whether it was due to the Cap'n's statement or to the tea in question.

"Three years," he said, picking out some oddly-colored bag from the set with a bit of hesitation, "Maybe a bit more. Though the first few months of it was mostly just me and my old squad claiming the streets." A small grin crept onto his face, and his eyes flickered with nostalgia. "Heh, you wouldn't believe the kind of street scum we ran into back then. Thieves, street squads... shell, I once had a couple of my guys get themselves locked in an old water tower by a mark. Had to knock the whole thing down just to get 'em out."

He chuckled a bit at the memory until, as if finally recognizing some fact, he fell into a sudden silence.

"...Jax's been talkin' about me, huh." The boiling water simmered softly behind him. "Hmph, what kind of exploits was he talkin' about?"

"Your heroic exploits, of course!" The cap'n exclaimed, excited. "Jax, ol'boy, is simply the bees knees at finding out the oddest things! He told me that you and your squad took on twice your numbers and came out fighting... on top even!"

The captain took a hearty swig of coffee and bit into a biscuit as he said, "that takes come scruff m'boy!" Crumbs flew everywhere as he exclaimed. His beard was simply covered in them.

"Why, I'd say my favorite was when he told me you were trackin' this gang! ...the name escapes me... however! You'd been combing the streets for clues, asking anybody you could about their whereabouts, their hideout, and what-have-you. Of course, that means that you left a huge trail for Jax to follow... not that any of my agents would stop a hero of justice like yourself.

"But after you knew what you needed to know, it was too late to call your mates... so you went alone, not wanting to miss your opportunity. You crashed their party ol' boy! Or, so Jax tells me, anyway!" The old Inkling laughed.

"Reminds me of the war, dear boy," the captain said, reminiscing. "There were some real heroes. You were born in the wrong time... the wrong time... but the right time for this, I think! The world always needs heroes like yourself!"

"Heh, you're telling me, sir." Max's eyes gleamed with earnest pride. "Trying to find another hero around here is like finding a pearl in a kelp forest."

He snatched a mug from the counter, grinning at the memory. "Man... that gang he mentioned... he was talkin' about Shoreline, I bet. Heh, those guys were quiet. Kept their business to a few trusted circles, made sure their mooks never knew the schedule beforehand. Planned for every little thing they possibly could. Well, everything but me," he poured himself a mug, chucking, "and that old sky-pane over their meeting room."

He fell into silence for a moment, swirling the bag of tea in his mug.

"...He did get one thing wrong, though. I didn't try to call my squad. Thing was... I didn't have one. Haven't had a crew since... well, since we disbanded two years back."

With a sigh, he leaned on the edge of the counter, staring into the glass with quiet thought. "The world needs heroes, alright. The fact is, heroes are a dying breed. Only a few of 'em ever hear that call to greatness, but the rest... they get lost. Corrupted."

In some bout of thought, he slammed the mug on the counter. "Not like that fryin' know-it-all would understand."

"Which know-it-all?" The cap'n laughed. "I've known a lot of them in my day! Ohoho!"

"...Tch." Max took a sip of the tea, only to immediately spit it into the sink with an outcry of "THE SHELL IS THIS FRYIN'-" and reach frantically for a container of sugar. The poor drink didn't stand a chance; by the time Max was finished with it, the container was near-empty, and the tea resembled a slush more than an actual beverage.

"Nuugh..." Not even sugar could save a poison like that.

With a bit of hesitation, he tried another sip, and, nodding that it was tolerable, set the glass down beside him. "Hmph.." he sighed, "Seems like Jax's done about research." He paused, thinking. "What about him? His exploits, I mean. I'm sure he's told you some interesting stories."

"Why I guided him through some of them myself!" The cap'n said, proud. "Taught him so much..." there was a glint of a tear in his eye.

"His first major campaign, I had him pit up against the whole of the Octarian Army! You remember when the Zapfish were going missing? Well... it turns out that was Dj Octavio, a former general of the Octarian Army ascended to leadership!

"The old Octoling had a lot of tools up his sleeve--the Great Octoweapons, to be specific--but Jax took 'em down one by one! One Inkling against the world! I had the honor to watch, coach, and train him. He is an amazing student, a faster learner and an exquisite ink battler. A prodigy by all rights! Ohoho!

"Not only that, he has his own reasons for fighting; a textbook hero that one! You both have the drive, m'boy!"

No sooner had the Cap'n finished speaking that a dull thud resounded through the room. On the counter laid the mug of sugar-tea, sideways, its contents spilled across the counter, and, standing next to it, Max, oblivious to its presence.

Normally, there'd be a spark of emotion in his eyes, a quirk of the mouth, some expression which ultimately conveyed the feeling he was intending to cover. But this time, there was nothing. No anger. No surprise. Nothing but the complete numbness that comes from hearing the incomprehensible.

Jax... was a hero?

Suddenly, every emotion Max had conveyed over the entire situation rushed to claim the shock on his face. His mouth moved to speak. The spark returned, this time in multiple forms -- rage, surprise, envy, glee.

And then, in an uncontrolled meltdown, they disappeared again, replaced by an uncharacteristic quiet.

"Well... damn." He blinked, blankly, at his own words, and, realizing that his cup has split upon reaching for it, quietly wandered over to clean up the mess.

"Yes! Jax is my pride and joy--besides my little squiddos mind! Oho!" The cap'n took a final bite of his piping hot buscuit and then, after licking the crumbs off his fingers he announced, "where is that boy anyway? He said that he was done letting you spar..."

With the Cap'ns words swept a tense silence, and Max, who'd been scrubbing diligently at the mess on the countertop, froze with a noticeable jolt. Once again, his expression moved from instinctual blankness to a slurry of mismatched emotions, as though he were trying to piece together a set of contrasting expressions. For a second, he turned toward the Cap'n, only to return to the mess without saying a word. Though his focus was pointed toward the mess, it seemed to be looking elsewhere, into some invisible thought hanging past the counter.

Finally, Max rose from where he'd working, and, still staring deeply at nothing in particular, wandered over to the trash, crumpling the paper towels he'd been using in his hands. He stared again, fiercer this time. And then, as if coming to some conclusion, he stopped in place, the crumpling motion of the paper becoming rapidly more aggressive until, with sudden rage, he slammed the trash into the can, screamed a long breath that poorly contained the anger he was trying to control.

He spun toward the Cap'n, snarling just as he had when he'd entered the room previously.

"Did he fryin' really...?"

The cap'n appeared shocked at Max's sudden reaction. "Why yes; I thought you were just having a friendly spar with the other Inkling downstairs! What was his name... hmm... Jax was telling me about him as well... frollic? Surf? Bah, whatever.

"...wasn't that what it was?" the Captain's tone shifted again, suddenly serious to match the graveness of the question.

"The shell if I know." Max leaned on the wall, running his hands through his tentacles. With another long breath, he released his grip, slowly lowered placed a fist into his free hand, and closed his eyes. He remained there, immobile, for a brief moment, until finally he returned, his anger seemingly calmer by the action.

"... Sorry. Didn't mean for that to come out that way. Me and that kid were fighting downstairs, yeah. Still are, in a way."

He paused, glaring toward the door. "As far as I know, Jax never told me what his plans were."

"Ah," the Cap'n said, calming down. "It was just a test m'boy, just a test. Drink some of your..." he looked over the mess that Max had been cleaning and finished, "never mind."

He took another sip of his coffee. "Sit down, sit down. He should be here soon; I understand you may have questions. He'll be here soon."

"Just a test, huh," Despite the respect Max had for the Cap'n, he snapped at him like he would at any other. "Yeah, a test he couldn't fryin' tell me about!"

He slammed his Dynamo into the wall. "Who the shell does he think he is?! Shell, who does he think I fryin' am? Some kind of criminal?! Shell, he couldn't even give me two damn words about why I was supposed to follow his fryin' rules, and ya know what? I fryin' trusted him. I gave what he said my own damn face. And what, after all that, he thinks he can't fryin' trust me?!"

With another angry growl, he threw the Dynamo to the side and stomped over to the table, slamming himself into an open chair. "Yeah, sure. I'll wait. Lemme see what his fryin' excuse is."

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Ughh, so, this concept of 'not starting anything,' he thought.

Wade twirled the bamboozler in place, dreading the imminent meeting between him, Jax, the Cap'n, and more importantly, Max... but with a hint of bitterness? Annoyance, maybe?

He wasn't scared of Max. That was for sure. But what? Was Wade going to sit there and play dumb until a common goal was ironed out? Give this Max the benefit of the doubt for the sake of the crisis? Be like 'hey, everything's fine, let's just ignore the first half hour of meeting each other,' then carry on with thier, conspiracy cracking lives?

Wade pouted and rested his chin on the top of the bamboo weapon. This was going to be grueling, wasn't it? 'Grin and bear it' kind of conversation where he sat through cringe-worthy comments until everyone was on the same page. Fun.

Wade would have kept thinking about how this would play out, but he started wondering how long they should be down here. He starting to exhaust all his ways to fiddle with the bamboozler... At this point, they must have waited out the worst.

"..So," Wade slowly began, hoping to catch Jax's attention. "No one is swinging a roller at us or yelling.... How long we should wait out here?"

"I think we've waited long enough," Jax replied. "Let's head upstairs and see if my hypothesis is correct by knocking on the door."

Wade 'hmm'd', then gave a quick shrug. Sure. Sounded solid.

He spun the bamboozler into an easy way to hold and started scaling the stairs, quickly following Jax.

Go To: Max & Cap'n

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Mag found herself standing outside of the celebrity’s home again as she contemplated what to do. It’s not likely Alga’s still in there... but there doesn’t seem to be any more sightings of her.

Mag started tapping her foot on the pavement, her frustration increasing. Where could she have gone from the house? How did she avoid detection, if she did leave? Where is she now if so?

Mag let her foot lay still as she crossed her arms. The only way she’s going to get the answers she wants is to actively seek them out. So, with a sigh and a bit of hesitance, she started walking to the back of the house--hopefully there weren’t any more strangers trying to kill her inside. Or that whoever lived there now wasn’t home...

Enter: Squid Sister's House, Search For: Alga’s Whereabouts

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Alga ==> Talk: Unknown Inkling

"What..." Alga paused, licking her lips. "W-What do I need saving from..?"

A burbbley voice came from the crevise, the sign of an Inkling in their squid form trying to say something. It was quiet, so Alga had to get closer to hear her say, "the Octolings... duh..."

Ah. Alga figured...

She chewed her lip, thinking of what to say, and eventually started off with, "It's- It's okay... They're alright. I'm...with them."

She really hoped nobody would get mad at her for saying that. She didn't want anyone thinking she'd willingly invited a spy or something along for the ride.

The girl shifted in the cubby, filling up the space. Standing in the little hole she said "it's okay. Believe me. It's okay. You don't need to lie to me." Even when quiet, her nasal, high voice was pretty distinctive.

She seemed legitimately worried about Alga…

Alga could understand the concern, but...

"I'm fine, really. Th-They're nice. One's my f-friend even." Well, close enough. "You don't need to worry..."

She chewed her lip. Didn't hurt to ask...

"A-Are you the one sneaking around...? H-How come...?"

She ignored the question. "Look, none of them are your friends. I know this is difficult to understand, but you've been brainwashed." She crawled out of the electrical interface to get closer to Alga, so she could speak quieter.

"You just need to trust me here... you're being manipulated. Everything they say? They're liessss." Whether she drew the 's' out on purpose for emphasis or because of a speech impediment was unknown. What was known was that she seemed well-meaning, but surely she was wrong.

"Um..."

Alga squirmed uncomfortably and backed up for a bit more personal space, taking a deep breath when her heart sped up a bit. Lies? How? Why? They didn't seem like lies. They seemed quite genuine. And besides, she didn't think Brutus was very capable of lying in her opinion...

"I-I don't know what you mean, but...they've...been nice to me so far. We have fun..." Even if she didn't communicate much, it was nice to listen. "Um. Sorry..."

"Oh no..." the girl said, saddened, "it's worse than I thought... your memories must be recoverable though!"

The girl began to pace when Brutus shouted, "Alga're ya still up there? 'Ow are things? All clear? Do ya need me to 'elp ya down?"

The girl was swiping a single finger over her neck with a worried look. Clearly she wanted Alga to keep quiet.

Brutus' yell made her jump, and she peeped in surprise before looking at the ledge. Oh, gosh, she'd been taking too long-

She spared only a quick glance back at the Inkling in front of her beofre calling back, voice cracking with the increase in volume. "I-I'm okay! I-I'll be down in a second!" And then, addressing the stranger, she spoke softly, "I-I'm okay, okay? I have my memories, everything's fine-" She swallowed, "Th-They won't hurt you if you come down, but I have to go now, okay? B-Bye--"

And she was off with quick steps, trotting towards the ledge before plopping her butt down and looking downwards. Oh, uh. Okay, she was probably going to need some help getting down…

"It's okay..." the girl said, leaning right to Alga's ear, though still out of eyesight. "I'll be back to save you." Her words were a solumn vow. Then, she ran back to her hiding place and shifted.

"Oi!" Brutus went, when he saw Alga's feet dangling, "ya ready?"

Her first reaction was to slap her hand right up to her ear, and she might've wound up smacking the Inkling on accident had they not drawn back. Alga shuddered and scratched, looking down at Brutus and nodding. "Y-Yeah. I'm ready."

Squid, that Inkling was weird.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Go To: Max & Cap'n

Wade and Jax made their way up the stairs. From outside the upstairs kitchen, they could hear the Cap'n rambling about crabby cakes. Jax turned to Wade, nodding--clearly he took this as some sort of sign that it was okay to come in.

He knocked anyway. "Captain...?"

"Jax, m'boy! I was just talking to your friend!" The cap'n sounded overjoyed. "Come in, come in!"

Wade and Jax sauntered in, Jax relaxed, Wade... not so much. Max's glare toward Jax was ice-cold.

"Both of you, sit down!" The cap'n exclaimed, overjoyed and clearly unaffected by the mood of the room. He began to serve plates with hot crabby cakes to each of the guests. "Get 'em while they're hot!"

Everyone was seated at the table. Silent. No one touched their crabby cakes.

...what now?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Alga, with assistance from Brutus, landed on the ground with a grunt, holding onto him tight for a few seconds until she was sure she was safe. She glanced back upward towards the second tier with a frown on her face before looking at the Octoling beside her in indecision. Clearly this was the intruder, but she didn't want anything violent happening because of her...

She chewed her lip. Brutus could be trusted, as far as she knew. He was friendly and childish, and seemed the type to trust his friends. She could tell him, right? And at the least, he might know what to do about this.

"Hey, Brutus?" Her voice was quiet, as though trying to keep anyone from eavesdropping. "Uh... I uh. F-Found someone up there, I think..."

Talk: Brutus

Hesoca

Full Squid
From his side of the table, Max glared, eyes burning, in the space between where Jax and Wade stood, an aura of intense fury unfurling around the room.

Inside, he was churning. Just a few minutes ago, he’d stood before the Cap’n as a recognized hero, chatting amidst the stories of his exploits and commingling in shared hatred of the Octoling scum living below Inkopolis. In everything, the Cap’n had considered him an equal, a comrade worthy of stepping in his worn-torn footsteps, so much as to offer him a position as one of his prized agents. For Max to stand in honor beside such a great hero, to rank with such a reputable title… it was everything he could dream.

How quickly that dream had turned into a nightmare. For as much as Max basked in the spotlight of the Cap’ns graces, there was another, brighter light just ahead, some shining damn beacon poised over the smarmy, tryhand hero to come before him.

Jax.

It was with a disgruntled huff that Max recalled all of Jax’s prior transgressions. When it came to that hypocrite, “hero” was a loose term. Heroes didn’t ruin their allies plans by beating them down in the middle of their missions. Heroes didn’t hold their friends schedules over their heads in little black envelopes. And heroes didn’t fryin’ lie to the people they wanted to gain the trust of just because they wanted to see their so-called partners ripping at each other’s throats in the name of some righteous reasoning they refused to communicate to their peers. To call that blotting Inkling a hero – shell, to call him a fryin’ agent – was as much a disrespect to Max as it was to every hero out there.

And yet, despite everything that hero had gotten away with, despite all of his manipulation and lies, he… he was still one step ahead of Max. He’d tracked down Max before Max had even learned his name. He’d known of his exploits before Max had ever bothered to tell them. He was an agent first, a hero first, a destroyer-of-the-fryin’-Octolings first – shell, even his name was a few letters before his! And where Max had taken three years to struggle to his position, Jax had flown to the top of the charts in two, first as always. He just… glimmered in that blinding light while Max fiddled desperately with the wires.

In the midst of his thoughts, Max’s gaze moved to the kid. Y’know, it could’ve been okay, working with Jax. Sure, he was the straight-A student-who-casually delivers-the best-class-project-on-presentation-day-dooming-every-kid-that-follows, but, hey. Maybe he could’ve been humble about it, turned the lights down a few notches. Except that, just like that perfect fryin’ student, he acted as though he had some god-given right to control everyone around him. Like the spar, and that ink-speck. Who the shell was he, huh? And why would a coward like that, (who had entered at Jax’s side in a twist of fate Max had predicted some time back), be even close to an acceptable match for the fryin’ Hero of Inkopolis?!

Fry those two. Fry the kid, fry Jax, fry damn everyone--!

Max slammed his hand into a fist, eyed closed and head bowed, in preparation of the meditation stance he’d grown so accustomed to. He needed to leave. To get away from Jax, from the kid. There was too much to be angry about here, too much for him to deal with.

He breathed in, paused, and, with a quiet exhale, released himself from the world in a deep breath.

For a moment, he sat there in the silence, passively enjoying the non-existence of the world around him. He’d never say it aloud, but… there was a certain beauty to this reality. There were no Jaxes, no kids, nothing else. It was just… him. Just him.

Yet that was the problem with this existence. There was no one here. No one to save, or to marvel at his heroic endeavors. How could he be a hero without someone to be a hero to? It was with such a mindset that he allowed himself to return.

Thus, the world reformed around him, and, though his eyes were still closed, he was well aware of the Inklings still sitting around the table. Perhaps they had said something while he was gone, but currently, the silence was the same as it has always been.

Max sighed. Someone needed to break the stalemate. As much as he wished he could get up and leave, the people of Inkopolis were still in danger. The Squid Sisters were still missing. Deepview was still ripping memories out of innocent people. He could hate his teammates all he wanted, but the fact was, he’d come to the meeting for his citizens, not for them.

“…So.” Quietly, Max opened his eyes, angry but noticeably more controlled than before, and began digging at the crab cakes on his plate. “What’d you want me here for?”

Talk to: Wade & Jax

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Magabelle ==> Enter: Squid Sister's House then Search For: Alga’s Whereabouts

Magabelle looped around to the back of the house and hesitated for a moment before trying the back door handle. She didn't know what she expected, but it wasn't for the door to open as easily as it did. The opening gaped before her. She was done hesitating. Taking a deep breath of courage, she stepped forward.

> Dice Pool 3
> 2 Successes

If it weren't for the stale air and some moldy foodstuffs on the counters, it would have almost seemed as if the house was still lived in. The place was almost half and half; clean and dirty, made a powerful dichotomy between the two girls who had lived her until a while ago.

...so what was Alga doing here?

Magabelle skipped the living room and went straight to what looked like the bedrooms. Something about how a few doors seemed to be left ajar really made her curious. It didn't take long to find a hatch, sealed shut, in the closet of one of the Squid Sister's rooms. But why? ...where was Alga?

There didn't seem to be anything denoting the Inkling's location--or the Squid Sisters', for that matter-- but there was this hatch, just waiting.

Maybe it was Mag's imagination, but she could swear that she heard something from outside the room. A thump. Paranoid, she quickly closed the door and pressed up against the wall. The hatch seemed like a reasonable escape route, but then, what if Alga was the one who made the sound?

Or maybe it was just her imagination. Maybe... she was just being paranoid? Maybe...

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Magabelle turned around quietly, listening for any more thumps through her hearts' beating in her ears. And after a few seconds passed, she let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding.

It's just typical quiet, empty house noises, she reasoned as she peeled herself off the wall, but still reaching for the weapon inside her pocket just in case, I hear those all the time at night. It's fine.

Backing away from the door, she brought her attention to the mysterious hatch... and then quickly flicked it back to the door. Even though she'd reasoned with herself that the thumping was nothing to worry about she was still paranoid. Shaking her head and attempting to solidify her attention on the hatch, she decided to take a closer look.

Examine/Open: Hatch

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Magabelle ==> Examine/Open: Hatch

Unbidden, Mag's heart pounded in her chest as she walked toward the door to the closet, trying to forget about the thumping she heard somewhere in the house.

The hatch itself as connected to the floor and kept closed by a wheel-based locking mechanism. But, as it turned out, the reason that the hatch was so easy to find wasn't because the closet door was open or because the door stood out all that much--actually it was pretty hard to find among all the other things in there. No, it was because there was a steel beam angled through the wheel's rungs firmly notched behind a shelf and a groove in the floor that the door should have rested.

...someone had locked this door from this side.

When Mag began trying to remove the bar... well it became clear that it was not going to be easy. It was like one of those knots that you could do, but was so hard to undo that you start to wonder how you did it in the first place. Mag wanted to open the door, but knew it would take quite a bit of force to remove the bar woven between the wheel's openings.

But the real question was...
who did this?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Alga ==> Talk: Brutus

"Hey, Brutus?" Alga said, quietly. "Uh... I uh. F-Found someone up there, I think..."

"Oh!" Brutus said, one-hundred percent unaware of why Alga was doing what she was doing. "What'd'ja find?"

She took a small breath to settle her nerves and continued on. She could do this. "There was-" Her voice cracked and she cleared her throat. Ugh... "There was...a girl up there. A-An Inkling..."

"What?" Brutus gasped. "Really?! We need to tell Felix!"

Brutus quickly began to march to where Felix was... uh oh!

She yelped, reaching her hand out and grabbing his shirt on impulse. "W-Wait! He's not gonna h-hurt them, is he?"

Because intruder or not, this Inkling seemed okay, if kind of weird and invasive. She'd feel guilty for outing them and causing any pain…

Brutus stopped. "Oy mean..." He stopped to think. "Oy... Oy don't know?"

Sitting down, he folded into criss-cross apple-sauce and got into a thinking position, fist under chin. And he sat there silent for minutes that felt like ages. Then he said. "Oy think... he'd ask something like," he cleared his throat. "'Oy'll go up to check on their threat level, clever thingy here, blah blah blah."

"...So what should we do?" Brutus asked, clearly unable to come up with anything.

She twiddled her fingers, looking just as uncertain as he was. She'd never been amazing with decision-making; she left that up to people who were better at it. Faced with a decision, her mind grew conflicted and she swallowed. What did they do...?

"M-Maybe if I just...try to tell him they aren't really a threat...? What do you think...?"

Brutus hummed. "Oy... don't think Felix would really buy that? Like... he doesn't trust people."

Then, as if suddenly realizing something he added, "Ah, but yer super trustworthy! Oy think so anyway! Because like... you're cool and nice and know lots of things!"

Alga appreciated the gesture, but that didn't sound very convincing to her. She sighed and reached up to rub at her face in something akin to frustration, struggling to come to a decision. She should have kept her mouth shut...

"Then...W-What if we just kept quiet...? What do you think...?"

She wasn't certain if Brutus could keep quiet, though.

"Umm..." Brutus shrugged, then, whispered, "like this?"

"Oy think that 'e'd ask fer a report, so... yer gonna 'ave ta lie ta him. Buuuut if tha's what'cha think ya should do..." Brutus didn't seem to like the idea of lying to Felix, but... at least he wasn't blabbing to him. That's something.

She chewed her lip and thought it out. It was ap roblem, lying to someone like Felix, nad truth be told she wouldn't do it at all as long as it meant the Inkling would stay relatively unharmed. Then again, the Inkling could also be up to tricks of her own, and here Alga was putting blind faith in her...

"Just...let me think on it, okay? You don't need to say anything..."

She would be forced to come up with an answer soon enough, anyhow.

"Aye aye!" Brutus exclaimed, forgetting he was supposed to have 'kept quiet.' "Um... Oy 'ope ya figure somethin' out though. Oy believe in ya."

And with that, Brutus walked back to the sector he was supposed to be checking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom