1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Music Discussion

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Mansuta8, Apr 23, 2015.

1. LunarDistortion

LunarDistortion Inkster Jr.

As a person who adores video game OST's, Splatoon is already one of the best I've listened to. I absolutely love the weird rock style they went for in the multiplayer mode, the vocals are probably my favorite part about them, they are so strange yet so fun to listen to!

The E3 Splatoon theme itself is already probably in my Top 10 Nintendo songs, I'm not even kidding about that, I adore this music.

KRBAY likes this.
  2. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

I don't know what you all mean, it keeps getting stuck in my head..

KRBAY and TheSpeedyMouse like this.
  3. TheSpeedyMouse

TheSpeedyMouse Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    TheSpeedyMouse
    The "Walleye Warehouse theme" isn't Walleye Warehouse's theme as the music is randomized. Notice how that is the main theme but instead of saying "Rock on!" it says something in the squid language? It also sounds more like the punk rock song from before. I think that is the new main theme and the other song is outdated. I personally like the old main theme more, but the new one is growing one me!

Splatoon's soundtrack is weird but it is catchy and it is growing on me. It definitely suits the game!

4. Setnaro X

Setnaro X Full Squid

It's a nice soundtrack, but I really hope there's more to it than what we've heard so far, because while it is very catchy, it does get old really fast.

They really should've hired Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio, Ollie King) to work on this game because his style would've definitely captured this game extremely well.

Liberation and Lyn like this.
  5. Liberation

Liberation Inkling

Really well feels like an understatement to me.

This game screams the essence of the first JSR (JSRF is an entirely different beast), and the soundtrack reminds me of it a lot. I'm hoping the rest of the music fits that style and plays with it to make it feel fresh and familiar.

Copilot and Mansuta8 like this.
  6. WaifuRaccoonBL

WaifuRaccoonBL Inkling Fleet Admiral

As someone who loves Video game OSTs, I think I can't give a full opinion until I hear the full version of songs.

The only ones I can give a clear opioion on is the main theme and the single player theme, both of which I love very much.

7. shrooby

shrooby Get Kraken

I actually really love the main theme. I can't wait for a full rip of it.
    New song to listen to on the side while I do work.~

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Inkster Jr.

I've got mixed opinions.

I love how it makes sense thematically. The devs said that the music is like what the Inklings themselves would listen to. It also oozes personality. If someone was familiar with this series, they would instantly be able to recognize the origin of any Splatoon song (at least of the ones we've heard). I love that, and I think it's very important to building up the IP to make it memorable and unique.

...but I don't actually like the music itself so much. The squiddy voice is a little annoying. I think it's cool as an intro sequence song, but if that voice is prominent across the whole game, I think it could get old. I usually leave the music on when I play a game because I like to have the whole atmosphere of the game, but if I really played a lot of this game, I ought to probably find something else to listen to while I play.

That's just my preference, though. And who knows, maybe the rest of the game's music will be better while still complimenting Splatoon's atomsphere.

nix likes this.
  9. nix

nix Inkster Jr.

Nice one, John D'arc.

Biscuit likes this.
  10. CyberHyperPhoenix

CyberHyperPhoenix Senior Squid

The main theme sounds really good....

Won't be able to listen to anymore until tomorrow because of my slow internet :/

11. Biscuit

Biscuit Inkster Jr.

Huh huh, yup, that's me. John D'arc. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play basketball and kiss some girls.

nix likes this.
  12. FunkyLobster

FunkyLobster Inkling Commander

NNID:
    FunkyLobster
    i don't think the music is something i'd actually listen to recreationally, but i think it adds a lot to the game's personality

the art style and music make it look like a 90s cartoon, i like it a lot

the presentation for the game in general is very recognizable and makes it stand out among other nintendo IPs

13. Nin☆Jun

Nin☆Jun Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Dantel
    I actively listen to the game's theme. It's just... really invigorating.

14. Larz

Larz Inkling

I might be more excited for full rips of the soundtrack than I am the game! (hey, I said might be!)

I've been jamming out to what little we have for what seems like forever now!

Lyn likes this.
  15. Lyn

Premium

The soundtrack is starting to grow on me, maybe.

16. Aura

Aura Infiltrator

The music in this game is just adorable. It fits the game well and it's also quite invigorating.

17. Trieste Sp

Trieste Sp Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

It sounds pretty good. Exited.

18. KamekSans

KamekSans Inkling

I don't even remember what Splatoon's music sounds like, I just remember wanting to listen to it for approximately 3748849 years.

Mansuta8 likes this.
  19. Lyn

Premium

Imagine weird vocals that aren't exactly audible but aren't inaudible mixed with odd sounds to a catchy beat that gets stuck in your head. That's Splatoon's music. :p

20. KawaiiChao

KawaiiChao Full Squid

If it surprises you, some people actually really hate the music. To each their own I suppose.