• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Music Discussion

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't know about that, Nintendo songs don't usually build up unless it's a boss fight or something like that. Usually not even then. It's possible though so we'll see. :)
Well, this is a new game entirely so I do expect the music to be unique to typical Nintendo music.

StarKun

Full Squid
I'm loving the music. It really shows off the strangeness of the game's ambiance but it also gives a very punkish feel.

It makes me feel like a teenage squid person running around and shooting ink everywhere.

Not gonna forget to mention the great jet set feeling I have with the music.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I am really digging the techo music of the single player campaign. I have to wonder about boss music and especially the final boss song.

StarKun

Full Squid
I am really digging the techo music of the single player campaign. I have to wonder about boss music and especially the final boss song.
the techno for the single player reminds me of the final boss song from jet set. Makes me wonder how the final boss song will end up in the game.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
the techno for the single player reminds me of the final boss song from jet set. Makes me wonder how the final boss song will end up in the game.
That is true, that final boss song does sound similar, (though I personally remember it for the creepy singing). :P

StarKun

Full Squid
That is true, that final boss song does sound similar, (though I personally remember it for the creepy singing). :p
I remember it like that too, that and splatoon's song just has all these sound clips put together into a song. Like in splatoon's single player theme having some guy making a sound and a random woman vocalizing a rhythm, that reminds me of the random shopped screams in the jet set song

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I remember it like that too, that and splatoon's song just has all these sound clips put together into a song. Like in splatoon's single player theme having some guy making a sound and a random woman vocalizing a rhythm, that reminds me of the random shopped screams in the jet set song
Didn't really think of it that way. Huh. It is times like this that make me think if they took inspiration from Jet set radio. Or if a graffti and Rebellious type theme lead into this kind of music.

StarKun

Full Squid
Didn't really think of it that way. Huh. It is times like this that make me think if they took inspiration from Jet set radio. Or if a graffti and Rebellious type theme lead into this kind of music.
I wouldn't be surprised if they looked into jet set for inspiration. I'd actually applaud the developers if they did. It's such a gem, it needs more acknowledgement

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Toru Minegishi is the composer for splatoon. He's worked with Koji Kondo on a bunch of games, including twilight princess, phantom hourglass, wind waker, etc.

He's also composed for the original animal crossing game, super Mario 3d world, and more.

I really like how diverse his composition style is. The music for all these games fit so well with the games themselves.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
While watching the direct today I got very strong FLCL and WarioWare feels from the music, obviously I'd heard some of the tracks before but some of the newer ones felt really reminiscent.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Really well feels like an understatement to me.

This game screams the essence of the first JSR (JSRF is an entirely different beast), and the soundtrack reminds me of it a lot. I'm hoping the rest of the music fits that style and plays with it to make it feel fresh and familiar.
Definitely agree with this. The game reminds of JSR in a ton of ways, especially the music, so I definitely can't wait to hear some more of that lovely hip hop we've been tasting in the videos.

Setnaro X

Full Squid
What I'm really loving about the music behind Splatoon is its Urban/Rebellion like nature of the music. It's rather difficult to narrow it down to what specific genre it carries, but it does explore a lot of Punk, Hip Hop and maybe a tad bit of Break Beat and Techno. It's no wonder a lot of people are comparing it to Jet Set Radio since that's another series recognized more for its incredibly wild and distinguishable yet undefinable soundtrack. It's pretty rare when Nintendo embarks down that kind of music, and I think the last time they did something like that was for 1080º Snowboarding:

On a slightly unrelated note, if you guys dig the kind of music Jet Set Radio offers, there's a site where people submit songs that are similar to that soundtrack since it's extremely tough to find more due to JSR's non-genre-specific nature of its music. Check it out here: http://jetsetrad.io/

I've also got several picks myself if you want suggestions. :D

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
I'm a big fan of the main theme but other than that no songs have really stuck out to me. I feel good when listening to it. Makes me happy.

theblackbird

Senior Squid
NNID
ProminenceF
I'm a fan of the style. Never played JSR, but I enjoyed 1080 Snowboarding. Either way, music sounds slick.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A full version of one of the multiplayer songs has been put on youtube.
Such a great soundtrack. I've heard the whole soundtrack is actually outsourced and not made by Nintendo.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
I was a child in the 80s and got to play the NES/Famicom systems at their respective launches. I mention that because Nintendo effectively molded my creativity as an adult. I have made electronic music since the 90's due to scores I heard in Nintendo titles outright. Also had influenced my art style as well.

Score
Art Style
Fun Factor
Game Length
Cost

That's how I measure games, that said, Splatoon fills the top 3 and length and cost are irrelevant to me as I only play online and never complete single player modes unless I am absolutely forced to for multiplayer centric games.

I love the score in Splatoon. Great sounding gibberish...what more could you want?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom