• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 My v.3.0 Tier List

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Well why not bring it up? I happen to disagree. I think the zimi is better and I’m curious as to why you believe the mini is better.
Whoops I meant you couldn’t throw the Burst onto anything with a charge time.

Also I have made a topic talking about it...it’s called Mini vs. Zimi

Umbre

Inkling
NNID
yumebbu
vBlaster isn't really that good of an option in competitive for the sole reason it can barely help (if at all) in cases of getting locked out, this was the case even before the splashdown nerf. Mist is alright but splashdown is literally a joke at helping your team push in. As well, it has no way to paint for a special safely.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
vBlaster isn't really that good of an option in competitive for the sole reason it can barely help (if at all) in cases of getting locked out, this was the case even before the splashdown nerf. Mist is alright but splashdown is literally a joke at helping your team push in. As well, it has no way to paint for a special safely.
Yeah this is exactly why it has fallen out of place in the meta. It has a serious lack in it's ability to push back in after losing control. The inkjet is much better in terms of killing power and paint, making it a far more useful special. While yeah sure the splashdown technically combos pretty well with it's indirect, you can't even get splash damage from a splashdown when the enemy team has control. Not to mention how easy it is to shut down...

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Yeah this is exactly why it has fallen out of place in the meta. It has a serious lack in it's ability to push back in after losing control. The inkjet is much better in terms of killing power and paint, making it a far more useful special. While yeah sure the splashdown technically combos pretty well with it's indirect, you can't even get splash damage from a splashdown when the enemy team has control. Not to mention how easy it is to shut down...
Oh yes...I love to see OP weapons that don’t take a lot of skills fall out of place in the meta. This isn’t talked about a lot but this game is pretty bad at actually having a reasonable meta with weapons that actually take skill. Instead we have weapons with no learning curves what so ever and they are high in the meta. And things that take a lot of skill and have higher learning curves are over shadowed even though statistacillay they are better, just never played (an example of this is the Bamboozler)

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Oh yes...I love to see OP weapons that don’t take a lot of skills fall out of place in the meta. This isn’t talked about a lot but this game is pretty bad at actually having a reasonable meta with weapons that actually take skill. Instead we have weapons with no learning curves what so ever and they are high in the meta. And things that take a lot of skill and have higher learning curves are over shadowed even though statistacillay they are better, just never played (an example of this is the Bamboozler)
Inkjet takes skill. Anyone who plays H3D or L3D, that takes skill. Anyone using chargers, that takes skill. Being able to play aggro with rapid, that takes skill. CJS and Heavy take a little less skill but still there's no way you're doing anything with that unless you know wtf your'e doing. Everything takes skill to use. No one will get away with having no skill in this game regardless of which weapon they choose. Clash is a great example of this. Not even this weapon can make up for people's lack of aim. Maybe it can get you to A+ or S or even S+, but you're gonna need skill to progress any further. And then you'll realize the clash is not a good weapon. Certain combos do exist in this game like the splashdown --> indirect combo. But the weapon itself takes skill to use. You'll never get anywhere with a blaster if you don't consistently hit all your directs. That takes skill. As for the bamboo, yes the weapon itself is quite good, but it's kit is lackluster. Also, competitive players are devoting hours and hours of time into weapons to get good at them. They aren't particularly worried about skill curves, because they are skilled. As for casuals, it's up to you to be the better player and expose unskilled players who exploit obvious tactics from easier weapons.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Hi! I am a roller main and I came to talk about rollers!

Specifically, I would like to comment on two beautiful beasts: The Splat Roller and the Carbon Deco. Viewing your tier list, it appears the former used to be S and was dropped to A. The Deco however was added to S. I personally think this should be swapped. And here's why:

The vanilla Splat Roller can hold its own in every single gamemode in X lobbies quite well, provided it's user knows what's going on. It damages more heavily on further range than the Carbon, it has easier ways to "get in there" with the curling bomb. And the Splashdown, well, you know what it is.
What the Carbon Deco has going for it is the burst bombs and the chicken rush. Like everyone else, I was hyped for it. Burst bombs and tons of chicken? Amazing, right? Nah, it's less scary than expected. The Carbon Deco seems to be way too situational. The kill range is shorter but of course you will argue there's burst bombs for that. That's true to an extend, but the Splat Roller doesn't even need them. You can pull whole team wipes off with the vanilla roller way easier than with the Carbon, because what the Carbon ironically needs is ink. A lot of it, if you're going to try to take everyone out. What about chicken run? Well, I thought it would be dreadful, but like with anything that does not need a lot of skill, it seems to be less dangerous than I thought it would. You can spam a Zone with it

Lastly, there's the classic Ninja Squid roller loadout going for the vanilla version. You can travel around and take down enemy after enemy if you do it right. You can run the Deco with Ninja Squid too, but you'll then have to compensate for the ninja squid slowdown while you already need all those spots for ink saver sub...

Don't get me wrong. The Carbon Deco is amazing. But it's limits are just more quickly reached than those of the vanilla roller, despite all the heavy nerfs it has been hit with in the update.

Jagginator

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6478-7859-9273
Hi! I am a roller main and I came to talk about rollers!

Specifically, I would like to comment on two beautiful beasts: The Splat Roller and the Carbon Deco. Viewing your tier list, it appears the former used to be S and was dropped to A. The Deco however was added to S. I personally think this should be swapped. And here's why:

The vanilla Splat Roller can hold its own in every single gamemode in X lobbies quite well, provided it's user knows what's going on. It damages more heavily on further range than the Carbon, it has easier ways to "get in there" with the curling bomb. And the Splashdown, well, you know what it is.
What the Carbon Deco has going for it is the burst bombs and the chicken rush. Like everyone else, I was hyped for it. Burst bombs and tons of chicken? Amazing, right? Nah, it's less scary than expected. The Carbon Deco seems to be way too situational. The kill range is shorter but of course you will argue there's burst bombs for that. That's true to an extend, but the Splat Roller doesn't even need them. You can pull whole team wipes off with the vanilla roller way easier than with the Carbon, because what the Carbon ironically needs is ink. A lot of it, if you're going to try to take everyone out. What about chicken run? Well, I thought it would be dreadful, but like with anything that does not need a lot of skill, it seems to be less dangerous than I thought it would. You can spam a Zone with it

Lastly, there's the classic Ninja Squid roller loadout going for the vanilla version. You can travel around and take down enemy after enemy if you do it right. You can run the Deco with Ninja Squid too, but you'll then have to compensate for the ninja squid slowdown while you already need all those spots for ink saver sub...

Don't get me wrong. The Carbon Deco is amazing. But it's limits are just more quickly reached than those of the vanilla roller, despite all the heavy nerfs it has been hit with in the update.
I think both of them have the potential to be S but I'd say Splat is probably more consistent for all modes while the Carbon more or less only really exceeds Splat in TC and maybe Clams on some maps.

Last edited:

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I played the Carbon for quite a few rounds today, I like it, but I don’t think it’s the best Roller, I think the best Roller is still vSplat Roller. But my main play style was being aggressive, and I am no Roller main so I didn’t do the best but I still splatted the most people out of anyone for a few games, so I am decent at it, not manning it though, don’t do rollers.
Also I would like to point out how funny it is when you throw a Burst bomb randomly and it ends up Splatling someone, real satisfying.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I should probably update this list at some point because it's very outdated now. The top-tiers with Splashdown have definitely dropped down, and Inkjet heck has begun. I'll see what 4.0 brings and go from there.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I should probably update this list at some point because it's very outdated now. The top-tiers with Splashdown have definitely dropped down, and Inkjet heck has begun. I'll see what 4.0 brings and go from there.
Lmao splashdown died months ago. Inkjet has been reigning for ages at this point.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I have adjusted my list to 4.0! Here's the rundown:

Splashdown Weapons have dropped considerably.
Most Booyah Bomb weapons have been placed highly as of now because of their special.
Inkjet rules over all.
Ballpoint is a personal pick of mine. The thing's utterly insane in the right hands.
I got rid of the updates on the top because they took up too much room. I will be posting those in this thread from now on.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
I have adjusted my list to 4.0! Here's the rundown:

Splashdown Weapons have dropped considerably.
Most Booyah Bomb weapons have been placed highly as of now because of their special.
Inkjet rules over all.
Ballpoint is a personal pick of mine. The thing's utterly insane in the right hands.
I got rid of the updates on the top because they took up too much room. I will be posting those in this thread from now on.
I like the list but it needs some beefing up for the s+ category and slimming for s.
TTek, Kensies, VSplat Charger, VHeavy, and Slosher Deco can be bumped up to S+ while I think Ballpoint should go to s because despite having a strong kit, there are weapons that utilize the same kit better.

Kensa Charger and Range Blaster have the potential to be s, and Kensa Pro has an identity crisis in both A and S lol.

I'd also say that Eliter can be put at A and Dualie squelchers can be placed in B.

As for specials I'd put Stingray in S+ thanks to it being the bane of everyone's existence in tower control and rainmaker.

Note that these are my Raw-ish thoughts and I'll probably have a change of mind on some other weapons.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I like the list but it needs some beefing up for the s+ category and slimming for s.
TTek, Kensies, VSplat Charger, VHeavy, and Slosher Deco can be bumped up to S+ while I think Ballpoint should go to s because despite having a strong kit, there are weapons that utilize the same kit better.

Kensa Charger and Range Blaster have the potential to be s, and Kensa Pro has an identity crisis in both A and S lol.

I'd also say that Eliter can be put at A and Dualie squelchers can be placed in B.

As for specials I'd put Stingray in S+ thanks to it being the bane of everyone's existence in tower control and rainmaker.

Note that these are my Raw-ish thoughts and I'll probably have a change of mind on some other weapons.
I've added the S- tier, where I've dropped the lesser S ranks.
Kensa Pro has been fixed lol.
Kensa Charger and Range Blaster moved to S-.

As for Stingray, although it is strong, especially on TC, there are very easy ways to dodge it. Trust me, I'm a Custom Jet main, I know how people evade Rays. Inkjet, however, cannot be evaded when piloted by skilled players. The mobility and killing power is obnoxiously high on that thing and it needs a decent nerf imo.

Ballpoint only shares its kit with one weapon, Splash o Matic. It has more than twice the range, better painting, better synergy with Mist, and a faster killtime. When played correctly, a good Ballpoint has an advantage over nearly every weapon in the game. It kills faster than basically every weapon (11 frames, not including charge time) and has charger range. Because of its speed, both in killing and painting, it can easily deal with close range targets as well. It also has a great kit including the best special in the game. Oof.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I talked to gamer (top splatling main in NA) asking why ballpoint sees like no use in competitive. Here's what he said. First of all charger. But anyways, the reason he barely uses it (in favor of the heavies and cydra), is because the kit really just doesn't match the weapon. While yeah inkjet is good, that's all good and covered and better utilized by frontliners. Ballpoint is meant to be played as a backline, and armor/ray are so much more fitting for the role, that an inkjet backliner is really not needed. Yes the main weapon is really strong, but there are certain things you kind of expect to have/need from a backliner and ballpoint doesn't have that. And if you don't think it has to be used a backliner, then imagine how functional a comp w ballpoint and another backline weapon would be in the absence of either another frontliner or midliner. I'm not saying it's a terrible weapon, but with the current top tier meta it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I talked to gamer (top splatling main in NA) asking why ballpoint sees like no use in competitive. Here's what he said. First of all charger. But anyways, the reason he barely uses it (in favor of the heavies and cydra), is because the kit really just doesn't match the weapon. While yeah inkjet is good, that's all good and covered and better utilized by frontliners. Ballpoint is meant to be played as a backline, and armor/ray are so much more fitting for the role, that an inkjet backliner is really not needed. Yes the main weapon is really strong, but there are certain things you kind of expect to have/need from a backliner and ballpoint doesn't have that. And if you don't think it has to be used a backliner, then imagine how functional a comp w ballpoint and another backline weapon would be in the absence of either another frontliner or midliner. I'm not saying it's a terrible weapon, but with the current top tier meta it doesn't make a lot of sense.
As I said, Ballpoint is a personal pick of mine. I'm keeping it up there. I feel like it has a TON on locked potential and just needs a good player to figure out how to introduce it into a comp.

Also give Gam3r a "You're bad!" for me.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Also give Gam3r a "You're bad!" for me.

Here is you Hallmark greeting card. Write a message and sign your name. Also, I will not take affiliation with this card.

Just get rid of c tier and place Ink mine in b, Fizzy bomb should definitely go in a, it paints well and does some decent chip damage.

Other than that, maybe you could organize the weapons a bit more? Like putting in classes for each weapon in each rank or color coding weapons?

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310

Here is you Hallmark greeting card. Write a message and sign your name. Also, I will not take affiliation with this card.

Just get rid of c tier and place Ink mine in b, Fizzy bomb should definitely go in a, it paints well and does some decent chip damage.

Other than that, maybe you could organize the weapons a bit more? Like putting in classes for each weapon in each rank or color coding weapons?
"You're bad!" is a little inside joke Gam3r, his girlfriend, and my team has.

I'll make a "Best of" list for each weapon class.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Dualie Squelchers 2nd best Dualies? Do you have a secret relationship with these? If you're talking CDS then I'd say the Novo Dapplies are better due to a 30p lower ink storm cost, better painting, and better slaying. Even then I'd place them at 3rd because Kensies have a more slayer esque kit while both Dapplies are painting slayers with team supporting kits.

And Carbon Deco should be 3rd best because the main weapon is plain bad and absolutely needs Burst to do something, Splat Roller has much better power and is not completely dependent on it's sub (although it greatly benefits from it). But then again, when was the last time you saw a Roller in competitive matches.

And as Mar$el pointed out, Ballpoint suffers from a not too backliner kit, don't get me wrong I think it's one of the best splatlings thanks to the sanic speed and perfect accuracy but, in the role of a backliner, Charger and Heavy are better as backliners and as a flex weapon, H3D or CDS are more flexible.

Finally, Baller and Inkstorm should def be in S, Baller can do the stupid Clam Super Dunk strat that's almost game breaking and Inkstorm provides good chip damage in an Inkjet heavy meta and it paints well.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Dualie Squelchers 2nd best Dualies? Do you have a secret relationship with these? If you're talking CDS then I'd say the Novo Dapplies are better due to a 30p lower ink storm cost, better painting, and better slaying. Even then I'd place them at 3rd because Kensies have a more slayer esque kit while both Dapplies are painting slayers with team supporting kits.

And Carbon Deco should be 3rd best because the main weapon is plain bad and absolutely needs Burst to do something, Splat Roller has much better power and is not completely dependent on it's sub (although it greatly benefits from it). But then again, when was the last time you saw a Roller in competitive matches.

And as Mar$el pointed out, Ballpoint suffers from a not too backliner kit, don't get me wrong I think it's one of the best splatlings thanks to the sanic speed and perfect accuracy but, in the role of a backliner, Charger and Heavy are better as backliners and as a flex weapon, H3D or CDS are more flexible.

Finally, Baller and Inkstorm should def be in S, Baller can do the stupid Clam Super Dunk strat that's almost game breaking and Inkstorm provides good chip damage in an Inkjet heavy meta and it paints well.
Forgot to write "custom" before Dualie Squelchers. Error fixed.

Don't play Ballpoint as a backliner. It has the killing potential and painting to play support or offense if it needs to.

Baller bumped up to S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom