• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA splatfest! Snowman vs Sandcastle

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Leronne Ah, good to know... I guess. Honestly I've never once heard the term used ever. It must not have caught on in my area.

@birdiebee
I don't hate slang, I just think it sounds ridiculous whenever someone goes overboard with it. Not to mention, it reeks of trying too hard to stand out, to be different. Which I know is important to teenagers, but still.

Eh, your Splatfests about personal qualities/values are pretty neat. Even if the first one masqueraded as an arthropod popularity contest.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
You guys sound so crotchety with your contempt for trending slang words. Every generation has them I dont see what the big deal is? And of course Callie would use them. Ever see celebrities using slang on twitter? Its not a strange thing for Nintendo to have the biggest celebs in Inkopolis say.
the slang sounded lame because pretty much no one knew the meaning. This was literally my first time ever hearing that word.

Nevertheless, I dont think I'll be taking part in this splatfest. Theme doesnt pique my interest either way and the outcome I can already foresee being fairly obvious.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Team Snowbae! \owo/

People are way too concerned over the slang. :P I think it's just the thing Callie would say. She's a happy go lucky character. Of course she would be over the top and excited. It's her thing. ;) Anyway~ I'm on Team Snow. I live in California and I'm around beaches legit all the time. I grew up in the mountains of California though and I remember loving the snow. Even the blizzards we got! I saw snow in Tokyo when I went there and it made me happy to see it again. So Team Snowman was the ultimate decision for me. :cool:

I also prefer winter over summer. So there's that too. :P

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
the slang sounded lame because pretty much no one knew the meaning. This was literally my first time ever hearing that word.

Nevertheless, I dont think I'll be taking part in this splatfest. Theme doesnt pique my interest either way and the outcome I can already foresee being fairly obvious.
I believe they chose to localize it as such because it matches Callie's personality as others have said. She would be on top of the latest slang that people are throwing around on social media.

At the same time, Marie's response is a perfect rebuttal. "ugh just because you said snowbae and fleek, I'm team sandcastle" basically was her response. So in a way, could this splatfest be more subliminally a more pro-slang vs. anti-slang poll?????????

PS. sorry but if you don't understand the meaning you must have struggled with learning context clues in elementary schooll.....?

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
sorry but if you don't understand the meaning you must have struggled with learning context clues in elementary schooll.....?
It was only barely a coherent sentence. Where would the context be then? The only thing that the context would say it to mean is "Team Snowman is good", and that was already known the moment she said she was on that side.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'd go for team snowman just because I've never seen one in real life before.

rig

Inkling
NNID
Rig9385
Loved the back and forth this time between Callie and Marie. I hate all of that current slang...so Marie's reply was priceless!
I was going with Sand Castle, regardless. I'm from central IL, and I'm not fond of the winters we usually have.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Advanced Wars, really? That's some torch there.

its really 3, that is slang use of literally it drives m nuts when people use it improperly.

pick by squid sister? usually i pick what Marie does but a theme like this i just can't, im a snow person :3
Just rechecked the calendar and I'll still be in away mode while the splatfest is going on. =/ So my choice has been decided for me in a way.

Now for another old crotchety moment...

*taps cane* I remember back in my days when we had good slang like "bodacious" and "word to your mother" and "da bomb" and "shiznit" that everybody understood! Not like that old outdated stuff like "hep cat" and "bummer," hmph! Dern kids with your newfangled slang! You're doing it wrong!

(not aimed towards anyone, I'm just amused whenever the matter crops up)

Tereuna

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tereuna

Just rechecked the calendar and I'll still be in away mode while the splatfest is going on. =/ So my choice has been decided for me in a way.

*taps cane* I remember back in my days when we had good slang like "bodacious" and "word to your mother" and "da bomb" and "shiznit" that everybody understood! Not like that old outdated stuff like "hep cat" and "bummer," hmph! Dern kids with your newfangled slang! You're doing it wrong!

Man seeing those words again really brings me back. Also kinda reminds me when words like "Radical" and "Tubular" where a thing at one point.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Let's drop in on a grommet.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3

i know of da bomb...
word to your mother da ef that supposed to mean? and i can't figure out how to even say ""bodacious" .. like i am Spartacus?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
While Advance Wars is still a bit on topic:

von bolt.png

(bad quality because I took it from a Youtube video)

Also the proper name for the series is "Advance" Wars not "Advanced" Wars. Each game in the Famicom Wars series is named after the console/handheld it premiered in Japan and when the series finally started to be localized, it took after the handheld Game Boy Advance as the first game to reach the rest of the world started on the GBA. The name stuck around when it moved to the DS for the West probably because the name was the most familiar to its audience and unless you researched the naming scheme in Japan, DS Wars would probably not sound as nice.

Award

Thanks nintendo, it's not like i live in the caribbean where snow is practically nothing more than a myth. But it's still a nice splatfest for people who've done both, just wish we got the european one because of how cool it is.
So, totally jellyfish..... :)

Just look outside at your beautiful, colorful, tropical paradise, what with the waves crashing upon the shore. Now picture sticking the whole thing in the freezer until everything is a solid rock-like brick and everything from the ground to the sky is a definitionless gray-blue blob devoid of color and life, and every surface is dangerous to step onto. That's snowy winter. :D

It's not mythical, it's an annual nightmare during which months life ends, you stop doing anything at all, sit down, play Splatoon and wait for life to return in a few months. :D

#LiterallySandbae4LiefPeeps

@birdiebee , @モモコ , (arg, why must your name be in Kana and impossible to write on my keyboard!? And why does it change the font/color when I paste it? ;) ) I don't mind the slang, like birdiebee said, I think it's in there because that's just Callie. It's who she is. She's the trendy, happening, basically complete follower personality who's always desperate to fit in and seem cool (while being kind of a complete confused mess most of the time.) Marie is best defined as "pfft. Whatever." They're polar opposites. Callie is kind of grating and annoying yet you can't help but like her because she's just so happy-go-lucky and enthusiastic about everything. Callie would be THRILLED if someone invited her out for takoyaki at a trendy restauraunt.....that's Callie... :D "wait...so...it's like....WHAATT??"
http://squidboards.com/members/モモコ.18037/
But yeah, every generation has their slang. Tubular, gnarly, radical, etc and the 90's slang.

But in tribute to we 80's Nintendo kids. The TRUE Nintendo fans. Team Sandcastle is so rad. It's, like, totally bi*chin'.

http://squidboards.com/members/モモコ.18037/

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Is it in character for Callie to speak so much slang? Yes, of course.
Does it still sound ridiculous to my ears? Yes, of course.
(PS. I got the gist of what she was saying, that wasn't the issue.)

But I have to side with @warghoul here, we're getting a little too fixated on this.
Yo like fo rizzle my sqizzle we should like totally totally mos def be like all up on these shorties bearing that Advance Wars torch like for sure. Dude, that game was fly back in the day but now it's like played out, aight? But I ain't gonna trip because more power to them they can just keep on keeping on while I be Audi 5000 bruh til the next episode then I'll get all crunked up on it fo sho!

Now, I will see myself out of this thread for a good while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom