• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA's November splatfest: Sci-Fi versus Fantasy! Fiction fight!

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
Well this Splatfest's Shifty Station seems decent at least. I've only done Recon and a couple of matches on it though, so my take on it might change over time. At the very least, it's not as immediately terrible as the last Shifty Station.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Well this Splatfest's Shifty Station seems decent at least. I've only done Recon and a couple of matches on it though, so my take on it might change over time. At the very least, it's not as immediately terrible as the last Shifty Station.
It's bad, but not as bad at the last one. At least this one is kinda fun in the beginning.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Well, here's my report for this splatfest so far (FANTASY):

Overall, I find it pretty fun. Last Splatfest was completely one sided for Vampires, but I can't tell who is going to win this time. I played with the Splat Brella in the beginning, but then switched to the Tenta Brella because of the short ranged meta, and it actually was useful and fun!

AA Battery

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunshinett
I’ll go with Sci-Fi, because some of my favorite video games and movies are Sci-Fi, such as Metroid, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Matrix, Star Wars (I consider it Sci-Fi), Metal Gear Solid, and many more. Exploring the realm of possibility is, in my opinion, just as fascinating as imagining the what-ifs of fantasy.

I also have to say: this is a really cool idea for Splatfest! And it looks like the devs have finally decided to give Marina a win.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
So I just finished my journey to King. Splatfest Stats:

Matches against Sci-Fi teams: 20
  • Wins: 12
  • Losses: 8
Matches against Fantasy teams: 13
  • Wins: 7
  • Losses: 6
Total Wins: 19
Total Losses: 14
Total Matches: 33
Spatfest Power:

It was a pretty fun Splatfest for the most part. Unfortunately, just like the Vampires v Werewolves Splatfest, I ended on a losing streak which made the last 15 or so points absolutely miserable to climb up. Most of my last few losses were against Sci-Fi teams as well, so it absolutely crippled my win rate against them. Four of the eight losses I suffered to Sci-Fi teams happened in that last streak; apparently all the good Sci-Fi players showed up late or something.

On the whole I definitely got the impression that Fantasy teams were stronger. Not only was my win rate against them way lower, but the matches I did win felt much more tense and brutal. I had plenty of matches against Sci-Fi teams early on where we were basically just walking it in. Of course, as I mentioned above, Sci-Fi came back with a vengeance later on.

I also managed to make my first piece of pure gear during the Splatfest:

It's nothing especially rare or exotic - it's not even the gear I actually wanted to make - but it felt pretty good to be able to make it nonetheless.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I went in with some good friends and we were laughing and joking and showing contempt for this game :p We were pretty upbeat considering the horrible time we were having. Two of us didn't even bother getting to royalty. Matchmaking problems, splatfest power making no sense, endless mirror matches, the abomination that is shifty station... I'll save the ranting for Discord but by the end of it we agreed that if it wasn't for the loot, none of us would bother with this obnoxious event. I have like 15 pures, I don't even need the snails, I just did this because friends are a wonderful thing, and I may not next time.

But hey, now that they've recycled all shifty station layouts in all regions, that means they'll finally be forced to make new layouts! What grand and wonderful nightmares await us next time?

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I'm finally at Queen for this month's Spawncampfest. Atleast it felt like it took forever. I had some fun matches here and there, but it was really meh compared to last month's. I would often start a match either putting pressure on some enemies, or splatting a fella or two, only to realize the area around me is covered, and I get ganked by the remaining people. Then the remaining match ends up with us trying to fight off spawn campers. Like the Flight vs Invisibility Splatfest, I contributed nothing to my Splatfest team with a 22/22 win/loss ratio.

I didn't mind the Shify Station so much. It was just there. It was easy to surprise enemies from that ledge on the side you have to get to with the sponge. Either that or just get up there and be a distraction.

Once again, it was an okay Splatfest, but I didn't do as well as I hoped I would. I guess there's always next month to try again.

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
WAIT. WAIT JUST A MINUTE.

Isn't sci-fi a genre of FICTION?!?! Sci-fi is litterly a sub genre of fiction! It's even stands for science FICTION! But that means that sc-do is the same as fiction! Which means that this splatfest is fiction vs fiction! AGH

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
WAIT. WAIT JUST A MINUTE.

Isn't sci-fi a genre of FICTION?!?! Sci-fi is litterly a sub genre of fiction! It's even stands for science FICTION! But that means that sc-do is the same as fiction! Which means that this splatfest is fiction vs fiction! AGH
Thats why it's so hard to pick one! this Splatfest is crushing my soul. ;w; lol

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I went with team sci-fi this splatfest. When I was making my way to Queen earlier it honestly wasn't looking very good for team fantasy. I don't know about everyone else but that's how it seemed for me.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I went with team sci-fi this splatfest. When I was making my way to Queen earlier it honestly wasn't looking very good for team fantasy. I don't know about everyone else but that's how it seemed for me.
Really? I was Sci-Fi too and Team Fantasy still put up a good fight in my King run. I remember several matches where they found the clincher to shut us out. That said, when we did win we usually dominated the field to the bitter end.

Anyway, I had a good run this Splatfest. Not as good as Invisibility vs. Flight, but not a total burnout either:

Egg Queen

Full Squid
aaaaaaa the grind to Sci-Fi Queen was absolutely HORRIBLE. So far, I have 21 losses out of my 38 games (one mirror match). That may be final though because I'm tired of losing. :^( I think I'll play some salmon run now.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
My Great Capture Screenshot 2017-11-18 21-15-07.png
I played mostly agains Sci-fi but really i feel like the last hour it was more Fantasy Filler matches than real deciding matches.

okay team I did my part it's all you now.. do me proud.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry

O o f. Had a REAL rocky start but I got my act together. I fought maybe a little more scifi than fantasy but mirror matches definitely happened. Lower than my last attempt but 2300 is a good stopping point in this mass inkbath we call Splatfest. Got about 4 hours in but I need to farm salmon run. Overall it was fun, but stressful. Good luck to both sides!

*SJ's to salmon run*

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'll dig through my photo and clip album later. Meanwhile:

Total Wins: 19
Total Losses: 14
Total Matches: 33
Spatfest Power:
Well... now I'm feeling a tinge saltier! Same stats as you but my highest was under 2050. Lost ONE—ONE match after that, which dropped me almost 30 points and eventually ended my run around 1950+. And no matter how many win streaks I had, I could just never get enough points to make up for any single lost.

It's like OG Splatoon ranked points! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I started playing inside the first three hours of the fest for Team Sci-Fi with never a ditto team, and somehow managed to get paired up with @Babycowland for at least one match. But somehow we were finally defeated within the last 20 seconds! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sadly I couldn't play with him again—or with many of the good random teams I had—because I kept getting communication errors at the results screen! As is usual during splatfest for me...

Anyway, I was switching off between both the Jet Squelchers and mainly just roflstomped my way to royalty. Which is probably why Shifty Station didn't bother me as much as it should. Then again I didn't encounter it much and earned a 6 - 2 record because no one other than me brought a long range weapon. *cackles*

Except during those two losses. ¬_¬;;

Then later that Saturday, like I said I would in this thread, I let my earlier mentioned buddy—with next to no Splatoon experience—experience a half-dozen Splatfest matches... at the 1900+ point level, because I'm an awful awesome friend!! ψ(`∇´)ψ

I'm thoroughly surprised that some of his teammates in each match did try to carry him and even protect him when they could. Wow, just... wow.

Eventually he won a match. Even finally got both a splat and an assist in a single match too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom