• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Game Mode: Salmon Run

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Almost seeems like something I'd be doing more often than Turf Wars. Love it. Not entirely in love with the idea of no real competition being existent, but I can easily overlook that.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Almost seeems like something I'd be doing more often than Turf Wars. Love it. Not entirely in love with the idea of no real competition being existent, but I can easily overlook that.
I'm confident that it'll keep track of each players score and reward the top player, there's bound to be some competition.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm confident that it'll keep track of each players score and reward the top player, there's bound to be some competition.
God, I hope not. I had enough of that nonsense on other games. People already get needlessly salty about the results screen sorting in ranked right now, if there were actual prizes involved we could get dota-level screaming at allies.

Laseraxis7

Fluorescent Inkling Spawn
This just had to be added in Splatoon 2. A gamemode in which friends or other players can team up and take on the salmon. I really like the fact that the stage changes and the revival mechanic as well. I look forward to team up with friends on this one. (If I had any)
And the video said something about ranks, but what does it mean exactly?

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
After 600 hours of Left 4 Dead(1&2) I'm done with zombies. But this mode looks fun. My girlfriend wants to play Splatoon a lot (no WiiU) this looks like a decent mode to get her started in.
Also looks like it could be fun mode to play well waiting conventions, dinner and family events. ( assuming you have 3 people to play with)

Tsuchinoko

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tsuchinoko
I have never really been into CoD or the like, but when I do play them on occassion it's usually zombies mode that is played. And I always have a good time, so seeing this coming to Splatoon is sweet. I have a feeling this mode is gonna be the main for a lot of people. I also like the darker style to it while staying bright at the same time with the colorfullness.

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
Mhhh I wonder if we'll be only able to play with the four weapons shown in the trailer (shooter, roller, charger, dualies).

Tsuchinoko

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tsuchinoko
Mhhh I wonder if we'll be only able to play with the four weapons shown in the trailer (shooter, roller, charger, dualies).
Somehow I doubt it. I couldn't imagine them locking certain weapons to the mode. Splatoon doesn't seem like the type to have limits for such things because then you start entering the realm of it becoming less accessible to players and we all know Nintendo doesn't want and isn't trying to do that with this series.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I'm really excited for this, I thought up something similar on the thread about splatfests, but as a kind of limited time only event so nice to see this full time. I never really play PvE, so it would be interesting to see how it goes.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Somehow I doubt it. I couldn't imagine them locking certain weapons to the mode. Splatoon doesn't seem like the type to have limits for such things because then you start entering the realm of it becoming less accessible to players and we all know Nintendo doesn't want and isn't trying to do that with this series.
That was the Dojo mode of Splatoon 1 though. However, I think everyone knows that mode was an afterthought and at the time of Splatoon 1's development, the team was probably just trying to get the core gameplay as tight as possible. Now that they've gotten fan feedback and tweaked the game over the series of patches, Splatoon 2 will probably be about diversified modes of play that have meaning and incentive.

tl;dr while it's possible (looking at Dojo) for this mode to be limited, I agree that it probably won't be at this point.

Tsuchinoko

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tsuchinoko
That was the Dojo mode of Splatoon 1 though. However, I think everyone knows that mode was an afterthought and at the time of Splatoon 1's development, the team was probably just trying to get the core gameplay as tight as possible. Now that they've gotten fan feedback and tweaked the game over the series of patches, Splatoon 2 will probably be about diversified modes of play that have meaning and incentive.

tl;dr while it's possible (looking at Dojo) for this mode to be limited, I agree that it probably won't be at this point.
I didn't know the dojo was like that, I'd never played it myself. My roommates don't play Nintendo stuff.

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
This mode sounds like a lot of fun; in other games where I'm up against a load of enemies at once; it just gives me a rush and I feel so rewarded after surviving and clearing waves of enemies. I'm glad they decided to introduce this mode, teamwork is key - Playing with friends makes it that more enjoyable. I can just imagine using a Slosher or a Berry pro to wreck 'em, Or even squishing them with great speed with the use of a Carbon roller. xD

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This mode sounds like a lot of fun; in other games where I'm up against a load of enemies at once; it just gives me a rush and I feel so rewarded after surviving and clearing waves of enemies. I'm glad they decided to introduce this mode, teamwork is key - Playing with friends makes it that more enjoyable. I can just imagine using a Slosher or a Berry pro to wreck 'em, Or even squishing them with great speed with the use of a Carbon roller. xD
Definitely! Weapons that are less viable in ranked will no doubt shine here - I imagine the H-3 will get some love if it turns out it can take out minibosses and the like with one burst :D

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Like everyone else, I'm very excited! One of my wish list things for the first game was a DLC of some kind that added a Co-op mode where you fight the Octarians ALA Single Player mode, but with a team of 4. I wanted this because I felt that doing 4 vs 4 matches did get exhausting over time...and sometimes I wanted to play something focused on having one team with a common goal working together instead of fighting another group. This new Salmon Run mode fits the bill perfectly!

One thing I am wondering...will this mode expand anything on the story or lore by much? The entire job itself and whoever is running it seems like a curious thing.

Tsuchinoko

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tsuchinoko
One thing I am wondering...will this mode expand anything on the story or lore by much? The entire job itself and whoever is running it seems like a curious thing.
I have a feeling this will add to the story somehow or just expand on the oddities of the Splatoon universe, which is already a pretty strange place. The fact that the Nintendo Direct video explained as much as it did is a good sign. A strange part time job that they take part in being hired by some company and apparently the island is "man made". Whatever that means. Do they mean it as in created by humans or are they referring to inklings?

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
A strange part time job that they take part in being hired by some company and apparently the island is "man made". Whatever that means. Do they mean it as in created by humans or are they referring to inklings?
I think of the definition of "Man Made" Just means "Not made by natural causes". It's a definition that can apply to any intelligent species, not just humans.

Of course...that still leaves the question of who made it, since we don't know who or what exactly is running this company.

Tsuchinoko

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tsuchinoko
I think of the definition of "Man Made" Just means "Not made by natural causes". It's a definition that can apply to any intelligent species, not just humans.

Of course...that still leaves the question of who made it, since we don't know who or what exactly is running this company.
What if the company hiring inklings to do this job don't expect them to return. They could be getting them to do dirty work trying to lower their population.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I'm guessing they expect them to return, otherwise the power eggs would just be lost, they just don't want to get their hands dirty. Only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom