• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Game Mode: Salmon Run

Squididly

Full Squid
NNID
Squididly
As.... fun as PvP is, I'm just excited to have a mode I can play with the squad that encourages teamwork rather than annihilating each other, lol. Even people on the same teams are constantly trying to out-do each other, so PvE is a god-send.

Of course...that still leaves the question of who made it, since we don't know who or what exactly is running this company.
I saw a theory noting that the company name "Grizzco" alludes to "grizzly bears." Which makes sense, since bears eat salmon. Just something I found interesting~

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I figured out the same regarding the bear reference. A bear would make for a good boss-guy to run a company. A bit like judd fits the judging role.

Maybe playing further into the game mode reveals more details? I kindof would like that. Adds a bit of extra reward to the regular rewards you'll be getting. Much like Story Mode in Splatoon 1 did.

On that thought, I wonder if there would be events that happen on certain days for the game mode too. Maybe special weekend events for the Salmon Run, like Special Bosses during the run or enemy drops? It would add something else to having daily limited time events that aren't just Splatfests.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
Others mentioned things like Zombie mode, but my memories go back to Firefight from Halo. Very excited to see more PvE content, especially since the lack of it in Splatoon 1 was one of my biggest gripes with that game. And while we still don't know much about how expansive the story mode will be, something like this that people can enjoy together is still a good step in that direction.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
A new tweet about Salmon run appeared today.

From Google Translate:
"The other day, "Moon Shake" which appeared in salmon run introduced in the picture.
Actually, it is a generic term of gold salmon having shrimp, it turned out that there seems to be plural kinds.
I do not know yet the detailed ecology, but as far as I see the pictures, it seems to be certain that only going around."

....Moon shake. What an odd name.

CM86

Pro Squid
Crucial step before getting to many salmon:

Get the juggernog and the monkey bombs.

Second crucial step:

Make a crawler so you and your friends can upgrade weapons.

Basic horde strats. ;)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
A new tweet about Salmon run appeared today.

From Google Translate:
"The other day, "Moon Shake" which appeared in salmon run introduced in the picture.
Actually, it is a generic term of gold salmon having shrimp, it turned out that there seems to be plural kinds.
I do not know yet the detailed ecology, but as far as I see the pictures, it seems to be certain that only going around."

....Moon shake. What an odd name.
I know I'm late in getting back to this; its probably no secret now but the translation of オオモノシャケ is off. "Oomono" is an important person or big game (referring to hunting) and "shake" (read: shah-keh) is salmon. So big game salmon is probably a better translation. No idea where moon came from, lol

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I know I'm late in getting back to this; its probably no secret now but the translation of オオモノシャケ is off. "Oomono" is an important person or big game (referring to hunting) and "shake" (read: shah-keh) is salmon. So big game salmon is probably a better translation. No idea where moon came from, lol
This is why Google Translate is hit or miss, hah. It cant tell the words apart sometimes and just mashes two or more words (or parts of words) to somehow form a new one. Funnt at times.

On that note, the people at Splatoon US did post their own English verison of this tweet.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I'm already in love with this mode, PvsE in splatoon already sounds good, but how the devs. are implementing it with diiferent mechanics typical to splatoon just makes my more excited.
the only thing i'm wondering is how short-range shooters gonna be in salmon run, hopefully good enough.

I can't wait for more bosses! =D
seconded, taking down bosses in a team in splatoon sounds like it could be a blast.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm already in love with this mode, PvsE in splatoon already sounds good, but how the devs. are implementing it with diiferent mechanics typical to splatoon just makes my more excited.
the only thing i'm wondering is how short-range shooters gonna be in salmon run, hopefully good enough.
I'm assuming short-range and melee weapons will be a high-risk, high-reward scenario, with potential for massive damage against hordes and bosses if they can handle the challenge of getting that personal with the enemy.

SquidHunterX

Senior Squid
NNID
Supes
I'm actually hyped for this feature. Been wanting something as open as Salmon Run since the first game. Teams!

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
Playing the boss fight mode in the ARMS demo today has made me even more hyped for Salmon Run.

It seems like it'll be a good mode to play with people of different skill levels. Squads and private battles are fun with friends, but it's admittedly pretty difficult for a new player who's just getting used to the controls to compete with S+s.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Apparently the mode has a difficulty scale. Between 5% to 100%.

Also, apparently 100% is actually potentially brutally difficult. Apparently most of the people who tried 100% at the event failed within like 20~30 seconds.

Even at 5% they aren't completely inept and are decent.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
Does anyone know if Salmon run is exclusive to friends only/LAN? Because if there's no random online match ups for... you know... people like me with no friends irl that's gona stink big time.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Does anyone know if Salmon run is exclusive to friends only/LAN? Because if there's no random online match ups for... you know... people like me with no friends irl that's gona stink big time.
No other mode's been exclusive like that, why would Salmon Run be exclusive?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm just afraid it's gona be local play only like the Battle Dojo. It's a different access than the standard lobby so that's my main concern.
Kind of a silly concern. It would make zero sense for them to spend all this type promoting and hyping up this brand new game mode in an online game and then NOT have it be online beyond friends. The battle dojo was stated from the start to be local, not once has anything of the sort come up with this mode.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
Kind of a silly concern. It would make zero sense for them to spend all this type promoting and hyping up this brand new game mode in an online game and then NOT have it be online beyond friends. The battle dojo was stated from the start to be local, not once has anything of the sort come up with this mode.
Okay well you know what? I'm not sure it was clarified and with the difficulty options I'm just having questions about it. Can you please stop constantly talking down to me and treating me like I'm stupid all the time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom