New Splatfest! Pokemon Red v. Blue! Which Side Will You Choose?

Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue?

• Total voters

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Hey, if it means anything: Japan's Red Fox vs. Green Tanuki Splatfests have Red winning popularity by a landslide. Both times.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Hey, if it means anything: Japan's Red Fox vs. Green Tanuki Splatfests have Red winning popularity by a landslide. Both times.
You can't compare soba to Blastoise, udon is always superior, soba's good for something different :D
Does anyone have good data on which sold more? Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue?

It doesn't matter to me now since I already chose Pokemon Blue but I am curious.
Callise says it herself, nobody has blue, it's the inferior version. At least that was the perception, and since then the "A" version usually sells best.

I've played through Twilight Princess like 3-4 times and I don't remember ever even seeing blood at all =/
One scene when running Gannondorf through. ESRB pounced on it.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
For shame. . .
I'll be the first to laugh when that bites you, and the opposite happens!
Just trying to level my shirt up and I'm getting frustrated. I had forgotten just how horrendous these things are...

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Does anyone have good data on which sold more? Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue?

It doesn't matter to me now since I already chose Pokemon Blue but I am curious.
According to Bulbapedia:

In the United States, Pokémon Red has sold 4.83 million copies, while Pokémon Blue has sold 5.02 million copies.
Bear in mind that Pokemon Red and Green came out in February 1996. Pokemon Blue, which had an updated engine and new sprites, and a quasi-remake of the 1996 version of Red using Blue assets hit the US in 1998. So technically, Pokemon Red sold more if we consider the original 1996 Red and the 1998 Red a single version of Pokemon Red. However, this also means Red was out for two years before Pokemon Blue and people in Japan who were already fans of the '96 Red may have also bought the '98 Red; so the worldwide Red figures may be a little padded.

Comparing US sales only (which I am since this is a US Splatfest), Blue sold more. It also had less bugs than the originals and updated these Rembrandtian masterpieces. Not gonna like, these guys look derpy AF. Hitmonlee is cross-eyed, Gengar has a beer belly, one of Eggsecutor's heads has seen some ****, and Dragonite looks stoned out of his mind. My favorite has to be Arcanine though. When I see that face, I hear Goofy saying "Garsh!"

Award

According to Bulbapedia:

Bear in mind that Pokemon Red and Green came out in February 1996. Pokemon Blue, which had an updated engine and new sprites, and a quasi-remake of the 1996 version of Red using Blue assets hit the US in 1998. So technically, Pokemon Red sold more if we consider the original 1996 Red and the 1998 Red a single version of Pokemon Red. However, this also means Red was out for two years before Pokemon Blue and people in Japan who were already fans of the '96 Red may have also bought the '98 Red; so the worldwide Red figures may be a little padded.

Comparing US sales only (which I am since this is a US Splatfest), Blue sold more. It also had less bugs than the originals and updated these Rembrandtian masterpieces. Not gonna like, these guys look derpy AF. Hitmonlee is cross-eyed, Gengar has a beer belly, one of Eggsecutor's heads has seen some ****, and Dragonite looks stoned out of his mind. My favorite has to be Arcanine though. When I see that face, I hear Goofy saying "Garsh!"
Can't hate on Wigglypuff though. He looks like he just finished a ranked battle and is trying to figure out just how his team could be THAT bad.

Still, we're spending too much time focusing on whether a Pokemon game from 1996 was more or less popular. The choice is never really "which is more popular" specifically, it's "which will the bazillion little kids that play Splatoon to ink endlessly with a Splat Roller choose." They know NOTHING about 1996 Pokemon. They're voting on fire/water/Charizard/Blastoise. The latter two being introduced to many of them only in X&Y since B&W Gen 5 was probably their first.

Popularity of the 1996 game is just the contest for us that remember it but isn't part of the "which team will win" contest.

I still think I need to go with blue ink. And my first starter was grass type....so I can't claim affinity to either. ;) Also, we "old timers" care about Vulpix and Mewth. The kiddies don't. :D

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Popularity of the 1996 game is just the contest for us that remember it but isn't part of the "which team will win" contest.
Someone asked for stats on which sold more and I delivered because I'm a self proclaimed gaming historian and archivist. I get that most kids today are completely oblivious to anything from the 1990s. I imagine many will be downright shocked to hear there was life and civilization before Instagram and Twitter. Hell, they probably don't even know what AA batteries are. Given the miles I logged on my GB, GBC, and GBA, I probably have a wing at Energizer's corporate headquarters named after me.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
updated these Rembrandtian masterpieces. Not gonna like, these guys look derpy AF.
I actually like a few of these better than their Blue Version replacements, particularly Raichu's and Mewtwo's.

@SupaTim
I feel ya. I could use those extra snails myself.
But don't worry mate, I and the rest of the True Blue Pokémaniacs—we got your back. And we're gonna fight the good fight to get those extra snails. Am I right?
(I'm SO gonna eat crow for this...)

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
Although I love Charizard, Team Blue all the way. It seems virtually every Splatfest nowadays, the most popular team loses. Which I can almost guarantee will be Red. I expect child players to completely flock to that side. As someone who is of age to have actually played the original Pokemon games, I preferred Blue then too. ;P

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm really looking forward to this Splatfest, both because it combines two things I like a lot (Splatoon and Pokemon) and because it'll give us an opportunity to test some theories about how the different regions handle Splatfests, since there will be three of them going on with identical or close to identical themes.

I usually get the "B" versions like Pearl, SoulSilver, White, and X, so I'm going to be on Team Blue. Squirtle being my favorite first gen. starter probably played a part in that decision too.

Good luck to you all.

Inktruder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nickyrulez
The reason why I picked Red is because for me, I usually get luck when I'm on the less popular team. Every time I'm on the most popular team, I feel like that team would end up losing the Splatfest. But remember that winning doesn't matter during splatfests. Even if your corresponding team loses, you'll still get the same amount of super sea snails depending on which rank you get.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
The reason why I picked Red is because for me, I usually get luck when I'm on the less popular team. Every time I'm on the most popular team, I feel like that team would end up losing the Splatfest. But remember that winning doesn't matter during splatfests. Even if your corresponding team loses, you'll still get the same amount of super sea snails depending on which rank you get.
Ahem, when you make it to King/Queen, the winning side gets 24 snails while the losing side gets 18. At least, that's how it's been for me.

Award

I'm really looking forward to this Splatfest, both because it combines two things I like a lot (Splatoon and Pokemon) and because it'll give us an opportunity to test some theories about how the different regions handle Splatfests, since there will be three of them going on with identical or close to identical themes.

I usually get the "B" versions like Pearl, SoulSilver, White, and X, so I'm going to be on Team Blue. Squirtle being my favorite first gen. starter probably played a part in that decision too.

Good luck to you all.
X was the "A" version, Y was the "B" (Look at that, it's ABXY :D)

I usually like B as well, but X was different....I had to get Xerneas....Xerneas is wonderful. Yervital is just kind of...evil looking. :)

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
X was the "A" version, Y was the "B" (Look at that, it's ABXY :D)

I usually like B as well, but X was different....I had to get Xerneas....Xerneas is wonderful. Yervital is just kind of...evil looking. :)
Xerneas reminds me of the Great Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke, so it was just too silly for me. Yveltal on the other was clearly evil (even "yvel" means evil in Middle English) thanks to the typing and the movie its based upon. Also, I like birds.

On the topic of hand, first Pokemon game was clearly Blue and was mostly "B" ever since (except for Ruby, I liked Groundon). So you know my choice.

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
EU Inklings actually can't build on anything.
I still remember what happened to me in Pro Pinapple / Tidy (low popularity, lose the splatfest) and Ninja (high popularity, lose the splatfest).
Still haven't decided yet *sigh* :(

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Sigh, we finally get an awesome topic and people still manage to suck all the fun in choosing the team YOU want to represent. I'm sure these are the same people that complain about this exact thing too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom