• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NEXT SPLATFEST ANNOUNCED! Cars Vs Planes! (NA)

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I saw so many scrub rollers in Team Planes today it was almost refreshing to find someone good at using the Bamboozler to turf (and even managed to splat me once! Well, we traded...)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
0-6, like a baws! Not really a surprise, I knew we were gonna lose the wins category. I played well over 100 games, yet ony got 3 teammates in that time who were competent and could be relied on. Otherwise we only won if I was better than the enemy team combined, and this was mostly the case against team Planes, while Cars was 50-50. It's only more unfortunate considering I played against Cars 30 times at best, and at the beginning disconnects and massive lag gave them free wins. Hell there was multiple times where I couldn't even get online, and then for like an hour I couldn't finish a game due to disconnecting. Not even sure if this Splatfest or the previous one was the worst, but Nintendo really needs to get their act together.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
0-6, like a baws! Not really a surprise, I knew we were gonna lose the wins category. I played well over 100 games, yet ony got 3 teammates in that time who were competent and could be relied on. Otherwise we only won if I was better than the enemy team combined, and this was mostly the case against team Planes, while Cars was 50-50. It's only more unfortunate considering I played against Cars 30 times at best, and at the beginning disconnects and massive lag gave them free wins. Hell there was multiple times where I couldn't even get online, and then for like an hour I couldn't finish a game due to disconnecting. Not even sure if this Splatfest or the previous one was the worst, but Nintendo really needs to get their act together.
NoA needs to bribe/blackmail the US ISPs into setting up better pipelines, or strike an unholy deal with Google to user their new Fibre services.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Yay cars. I definitely thought we were better than autobots as this splatfest was significantly more enjoyable. Not nearly as many trash teams. I did see a good share of incompetence on team cars though. Lots of clumping, inability to splat people, leaving large swaths of the map uncovered. But I did feel less pressured to carry this time.

It's interesting that is seems that in all but one splatfest the more popular team has a worse win percentage. I guess more players in total means more bad players.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
It's interesting that is seems that in all but one splatfest the more popular team has a worse win percentage. I guess more players in total means more bad players.
In NA region at least. In EU and JP there were landslide victories with both win rate and popularity on the side of the winning team.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I was on Team Planes, and one thing I noticed, both in the teammates I frequently found and other Team Planes players, is that they are more likely to play single-mindedly than people in Team Cars I faced. Not sure why. But I do see them setting out to do one thing and getting splatted via flanking (because they expect every fight to be head-on, I guess), only to respawn and try it again. I also saw a lot of players following other players, probably because they're absolutely terrified of getting splatted and believe that the safest location is behind someone else. It's infuriating when there are two or more because you can see their arrows more or less moving together on the map. It's not like with Team Planes where they're grouped when they want to fight and get rid of someone or defend a location (such as Blackbelly Skatepark's central tower or protecting Port Mackerel's bottlenecks); whenever one of them gets splatted, they either all get splatted or they scatter deep into their own ink and regroup somewhere else.

Between the people who follow other players, the people who absolutely refuse to get near enemy ink, and the ones who only stay near the spawn, I get the impression that there are a lot of Team Planes people desperate to avoid getting splatted at all costs, which is behavior I don't see too often outside of this Splatfest. It's weird too. These guys can be pretty high-leveled but then become frightened like this in a Splatfest.

Still, I have NEVER seen more Aerospray users placed at the bottom of the team on a Turf Wars results screen so often (whether we won or lost).

NoA needs to bribe/blackmail the US ISPs into setting up better pipelines, or strike an unholy deal with Google to user their new Fibre services.
The reason the United States lags behind most other industrialized countries (no pun intended) is because the United States is the only such country to have privately owned Internet lines. This means said lines would be created on a budget smaller than if they were public, as the government would pay for them instead, and the lines are wholly controlled by one company, which can then restrict access to people who pay less. This is in addition to North America being geographically vast compared to Japan, Australia, or Europe. Even if, say, Africa's Internet power is the envy of the rest of the world, there'd still be instability problems because of the long distances the signals have to travel.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I had great teammates (Team cars btw) who knew when to time their Inkstrikes by holding on to them until they can barely be countered at the last moment. I also had Inkstrike and did that though sometimes I waited too long and got splatted at the last few seconds so I had to figure out when I was facing a competent team to decide whether it is worth it to use as soon as it is charged when there is like 30 to 20 seconds left to the end of the game where it could be countered or risk holding on to it until the last seconds.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I didn't feel that Team Planes had competent people.

Also Team Cars were more likely to have Chargers wrecking our lives in Port Mackerel. :(

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Well, guess we lost. :P Only thing I'm really bummed about is the weird disconnections I got yesterday; never happened that much before.

Also, I love how Callie, who CANNOT drive, suggests making skid-donuts, and Marie makes an interesting reference to a certain show by going, "Mmmmm... Donuts." :P

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Well, guess we lost. :p Only thing I'm really bummed about is the weird disconnections I got yesterday; never happened that much before.

Also, I love how Callie, who CANNOT drive, suggests making skid-donuts, and Marie makes an interesting reference to a certain show by going, "Mmmmm... Donuts." :p
Possibly still doable with a driver's permit as long as that was not revoked.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
0-4 record now. Must have either been lucky with comptent teams or just carrying them. I usually quit a lobby when my team can't win a fair match, so that may be why I thought Planes were doing well.

Apparently, next time I want to pick the less popular team, I should do the opposite of what I think I should. Then again, 6 sea snails isn't that big. I burned all mine turning Strapping Reds with :ability_quickrespawn::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: to :ability_specialsaver::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
This is the first splatfest I ever won of the 3 I have been in. It was a close one, and I'm not surprised the other team had the popularity vote. Good game to all who attended.

Last edited:

Relados

Senior Squid
Concerning saltiness, I'm not salty that I lost the Splatfest, I'm salty that none of the matches were fun. In all the other teams, I could find competent teammates and stick with them for a few matches, but for Team Planes it took me until the last half-hour to find people who actually knew how to shoot their weapons. The game feels like a chore when you realize you're the only ally putting in effort to win.

Like, at least with Team Science it was a lot of fun. I felt like there was a lot of good play going around and even though we lost, I was happy with my performance and experience.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Concerning saltiness, I'm not salty that I lost the Splatfest, I'm salty that none of the matches were fun. In all the other teams, I could find competent teammates and stick with them for a few matches, but for Team Planes it took me until the last half-hour to find people who actually knew how to shoot their weapons. The game feels like a chore when you realize you're the only ally putting in effort to win.
I saw a bunch of that too for Team Planes. These guys were as high as Level 46. It makes me wonder how they were able to get that far not knowing even the basics of the game. Or were they secretly alternate accounts for Team Cars people attempting to sabotage Team Planes?

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
In a lot of discussions I've lurked, there is one thing that I've noticed appears to be a common thing in Team Plane members. A lot of Team Plane members keep saying that Team Cars was "too aggressive". o_O I don't know. Perhaps I have a different definition of "aggressive" when it comes to shooter games but I don't see why Team Planes apparently wasn't playing aggressively and is complaining about Team Cars being "too aggressive" during matches.

It may be a Nintendo game but you're still playing a shooter game. Said shooter game was having a rather large event. Why weren't you being aggressive and playing to win? Perhaps if you were playing to win, we might have been able to beat Team Plane.... And of course if all those Plane VS. Plane matches had stopped happening so often. :c

There was one point during the Splatfest where I encountered a friend who was Team Cars. He later messaged me and told me that my team was being really aggressive and he didn't see that often during his matches. It's a bit frustrating haha. Next time... Play a bit more aggressively, I guess? Splat the opponents you see and keep covering turf. Stop being scared to splat them. Come on now.

On that note.... I'm a bit disappointed by how some Team Cars people are taking their win. You won. Congratulations. However, winning does not make it okay for you to insult people. Please, try to practice some good sportsmanship and stop insulting the opposing team just to rub it in their faces. It's honestly very tacky and makes you look horrible. I'm not even going to touch the atrocious amount of 9/11 jokes I've seen since the results. *sigh*

I'm thankful to the Team Cars people who have had good sportsmanship and acted with dignity about the win. :)

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The reason the United States lags behind most other industrialized countries (no pun intended) is because the United States is the only such country to have privately owned Internet lines. This means said lines would be created on a budget smaller than if they were public, as the government would pay for them instead, and the lines are wholly controlled by one company, which can then restrict access to people who pay less. This is in addition to North America being geographically vast compared to Japan, Australia, or Europe. Even if, say, Africa's Internet power is the envy of the rest of the world, there'd still be instability problems because of the long distances the signals have to travel.
Also, Big Data lobbied against municipal internet pipelines.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
In a lot of discussions I've lurked, there is one thing that I've noticed appears to be a common thing in Team Plane members. A lot of Team Plane members keep saying that Team Cars was "too aggressive". o_O I don't know. Perhaps I have a different definition of "aggressive" when it comes to shooter games but I don't see why Team Planes apparently wasn't playing aggressively and is complaining about Team Cars being "too aggressive" during matches.

It may be a Nintendo game but you're still playing a shooter game. Said shooter game was having a rather large event. Why weren't you being aggressive and playing to win? Perhaps if you were playing to win, we might have been able to beat Team Plane.... And of course if all those Plane VS. Plane matches had stopped happening so often. :c

There was one point during the Splatfest where I encountered a friend who was Team Cars. He later messaged me and told me that my team was being really aggressive and he didn't see that often during his matches. It's a bit frustrating haha. Next time... Play a bit more aggressively, I guess? Splat the opponents you see and keep covering turf. Stop being scared to splat them. Come on now.

On that note.... I'm a bit disappointed by how some Team Cars people are taking their win. You won. Congratulations. However, winning does not make it okay for you to insult people. Please, try to practice some good sportsmanship and stop insulting the opposing team just to rub it in their faces. It's honestly very tacky and makes you look horrible. I'm not even going to touch the atrocious amount of 9/11 jokes I've seen since the results. *sigh*

I'm thankful to the Team Cars people who have had good sportsmanship and acted with dignity about the win. :)
I remember back in Roller Coasters vs Waterslides (I was Team Roller Coasters) after the win I remember looking into my friends Miiverse accounts out of curiosity to see what teams they were on and one of them called Roller Coasters tryhards. This was made during the Splatfest and not when it was over. Well when I learn that I am on the least popular team and probably others as well, of course I will try to overcome that deficiency. This was after the Pets Splatfest and we know what happened there and at that point the less popular team did not win as of yet.

I like this damned if you do damned if you don't attitude and by that I mean I do not like it. If you want to win it all you need to put in the effort.I think the Hare and Tortoise will make a good theme since Japan had that Grasshopper and Ant theme which can further explore that idea. Remember the Hare decided to fall asleep close to the goal thinking it already won while the Tortoise had to work hard for the win. I guess people who were too popular thought their sheer popularity will secure the win and did not push as much so this may be a good Splatfest theme to go for.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101

Like, at least with Team Science it was a lot of fun. I felt like there was a lot of good play going around and even though we lost, I was happy with my performance and experience.
I had much more fun this Splatfest than science vs art for the same reasons you said (but reverse the splatfests). My teams on team science were terrible until the last hour and it took me almost all day to grind to science king 2 points at a time. I didn't have a great win streak this splatfest, but at least I felt I didn't need to carry every game. Sorry your experience sucked though - I felt exactly the same on team science and I was completely drained after that splatfest (didn't pick up the game for a few days actually).

That's disgusting. 1) It's just a game and Splatfest embodies the casual aspect of the game. There is absolutely no reason to be nasty about it. Not even the competitive part of Splatoon has that sort of trash talking. 2) Bringing up 9/11 is completely inappropriate and insensitive....this is why we can't have nice things. Sorry you experienced these things.

Relados

Senior Squid

Concerning aggression, the "people were too aggressive" complaint is usually bad players trying to excuse poor performance. I had no problems matching Team Cars aggression:

My experience with Planes was that my teammates were either non-existent or squid partying. I had a guy who spent the whole match jumping to the spawn point, from the spawn point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom