Next US Splatfest: Pirates VS Ninjas

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
When I turned it back on about 1:30pm EST, the Ninja teams were significantly better. I started with a +22 vibe and ended with a +11 after going from pirate champion to pirate king. Lag was also significantly worse (which is saying something because it was bad this morning). I mean, pumping people with 5+ shots with the .52 gal and them just shrugging it off. Teleporting players. Constant disconnects (this hurt my vibe the most actually) and unstable connections.

It wasn't the worst splatfest, but the lag made it much less enjoyable down the stretch.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
I'm getting really tired of seeing people claiming that same-team matchups somehow cause the more popular team to lose more matches. So...have an example, with lots of numbers.

For our hypothetical scenario, we'll start by imagining that a total of 300,000 four-player teams play at some point during Splatfest. (This is just for the sake of an example; don't take this estimate too seriously.)

Let's assume that Ninjas have a precisely 2:1 advantage in popularity--that is, there are exactly twice as many Ninja teams as there are Pirate teams. That's 200,000 Ninja teams and 100,000 Pirate teams.

Now let's make some assumptions about the skill of those teams. Let's assume that:

10% of all teams have an average rank of S
30% of all teams have an average rank of A
40% of all teams have an average rank of B
20% of all teams have an average rank of C

We'll assume that these proportions hold true for each team during the Splatfest. That means that, in total, there are:

10,000 S-rank Pirate teams
30,000 A-rank Pirate teams
40,000 B-rank Pirate teams
20,000 C-rank Pirate teams

and

20,000 S-rank Ninja teams
60,000 A-rank Ninja teams
80,000 B-rank Ninja teams
40,000 C-rank Ninja teams

Now let's take a look at what happens when these teams play against each other. Let's assume that the teams are rather dedicated and end up playing an average of 30 matches each, for a total of 4,500,000 matches. (Remember that it takes 2 teams to play 1 match.) And for the sake of easier calculation, let's assume that a higher-ranked team will always beat a lower-ranked one, and that the teams will win 50% of their matches against teams of equal rank.

Now, since there are twice as many Ninjas as there are Pirates, at any given time, only half of Team Ninja will be playing against Team Pirate. The other half of Team Ninja will be playing against themselves, Ninja vs. Ninja. That means that only half of the matches played by Ninja teams will count toward the final results of the Splatfest. The other half of their matches (1/3 of the total number of matches) can be disregarded, since they are played against their own team.

That means that the breakdown of the actual Pirate vs. Ninja matches will be as follows:

30,000 matches between S-rank Pirates and S-rank Ninjas - 15,000 wins for Pirates, 15,000 wins for Ninjas
90,000 matches between S-rank Pirates and A-rank Ninjas - 90,000 wins for Pirates
120,000 matches between S-rank Pirates and B-rank Ninjas - 120,000 wins for Pirates
60,000 matches between S-rank Pirates and C-rank Ninjas - 60,000 wins for Pirates

90,000 matches between A-rank Pirates and S-rank Ninjas - 90,000 wins for Ninjas
270,000 matches between A-rank Pirates and A-rank Ninjas - 135,000 wins for Pirates, 135,000 wins for Ninjas
360,000 matches between A-rank Pirates and B-rank Ninjas - 360,000 wins for Pirates
180,000 matches between A-rank Pirates and C-rank Ninjas - 180,000 wins for Pirates

120,000 matches between B-rank Pirates and S-rank Ninjas - 120,000 wins for Ninjas
360,000 matches between B-rank Pirates and A-rank Ninjas - 360,000 wins for Ninjas
480,000 matches between B-rank Pirates and B-rank Ninjas - 240,000 wins for Pirates, 240,000 wins for Ninjas
240,000 matches between B-rank Pirates and C-rank Ninjas - 240,000 wins for Pirates

60,000 matches between C-rank Pirates and S-rank Ninjas - 60,000 wins for Ninjas
180,000 matches between C-rank Pirates and A-rank Ninjas - 180,000 wins for Ninjas
240,000 matches between C-rank Pirates and B-rank Ninjas - 240,000 wins for Ninjas
120,000 matches between C-rank Pirates and C-rank Ninjas - 60,000 wins for Pirates, 60,000 wins for Ninjas

The remaining 1,500,000 matches are Ninja vs. Ninja matches, which have no effect on the win rates. In total:

4,500,000 total matches played

1,500,000 wins for Team Pirate
1,500,000 wins for Team Ninja
1,500,000 Ninja vs. Ninja matches (no effect on win rate for either team)

Conclusion: Ninja vs. Ninja matches do not skew the win rates in the final results because for each match that more skilled Ninjas play against other Ninjas (depriving Team Ninja of a win against Team Pirate), there is also a match that less skilled Ninjas play against other Ninjas (saving Team Ninja from a loss against Team Pirate).

If Pirates do manage to win more of the Pirate vs. Ninja matches, it will be because they have more skill overall, not because Ninjas were busy fighting themselves.

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
I'm already on the 5 stage of tragedy, I acccept my team already lost and I'm moving on. Still got many shells.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Had a very easy time getting to Pirate Champion from like 4-6, and then it got really difficult fighting the Ninjas because I guess the weaker ones went Trick-or-Treating?

Also I didn't know Splatoon had slowdown lag. Now I know. What the hell America connections?

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
It got to the point I start to magically DC all of the sudden. So I had to stop Pirate altogether for now. I guess they want Ninja's to take the home stretch at this rate

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Well, my third playtime went extremely well! I got myself an amazing team, and we won about 20 games in a row. I'm glad I was able to redeem my less than stellar record from before. I'll hope that Pirates win, but I'm used to losing by now. I'll just pull out the Jontron "Can I just have break" video, and cry in the corner tomorrow if we lose. It's already happened six other times. XD

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
I swear I never want to see Moray Towers again. I think that I only got Walleye like 7 times and Trigger fish about 3 times. Finally got Pirate king but at the end of my run, I had a lot disconnected team members.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
This is probably the first time I ever became king in a Splatfest. Its a bit bittersweet as it leaves little else to strive for aside from wins for the team. I can't believe I became king of the pirates faster than Luffy.

Edit: Aaaand its over. The last match ended on a high note. Great job, guys!

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I played mostly last night, or at least I played once it started till King, and it was very laggy in the beginning. Got on today to mess around with some weapons and the lagg was back. Had lot's of dcing teammates today too. This was probably the worst splatfest as far as lagg goes. But the miiverse posts and map choices were really enjoyable.(I'm just happy port wasn't among them)

Don't really care who wins, I play too casually now to, but I'm definitely interested to see the difference in popularity. Having chose ninjas, this was my first splatfest doing same team vs same team. Was interesting to say the least.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
Pirates clutched it out so hard

28% - 72% in popularity

59% (x6) - 41% (x6) in wins
382 - 318 total

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Congrats to pirates, I knew yall would win the win %

x6 was too much for our 72% popularity to beat. *shrugs*
Some say even with 4x Pirates still would have won. Too lazy to do the math myself to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom