• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Nintendo GameCube social thread!~ ■

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Animal Crossing NES code generator was amazing. All the NES games in Animal Crossing Gamecube I've never played before, and I started loving the Punch-Out!! series because of that.
Donkey Kong Jr. Math too. :p

Couldn't get forbidden four but whatever that just means I'll never play the full version of Ice Climber besides the demo from Brawl.

And based on that demo, Ice Climber is unplayable.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Animal Crossing NES code generator was amazing. All the NES games in Animal Crossing Gamecube I've never played before, and I started loving the Punch-Out!! series because of that.
Donkey Kong Jr. Math too. :p

Couldn't get forbidden four but whatever that just means I'll never play the full version of Ice Climber besides the demo from Brawl.

And based on that demo, Ice Climber is unplayable.
The code generator's main use to me is to obtain games that you cannot normally get with standard universal codes such as the aforementioned Punch Out! But you can also use it too to also get the majority of the games bar the Forbidden Four. I agree on Ice Climber though, it's borderline on unplayable. Age has not been kind to it compared to the other NES games. And the demo is the best form of that game, it get worse as it goes on. Trust me when I say, it's bad.

Right now I'm hooking up my old gamecube and I'll start a new file on Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I'll be seeing this game with a fresh look and finally I can say I beat that. Here I go.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
The code generator's main use to me is to obtain games that you cannot normally get with standard universal codes such as the aforementioned Punch Out! But you can also use it too to also get the majority of the games bar the Forbidden Four. I agree on Ice Climber though, it's borderline on unplayable. Age has not been kind to it compared to the other NES games. And the demo is the best form of that game, it get worse as it goes on. Trust me when I say, it's bad.

Right now I'm hooking up my old gamecube and I'll start a new file on Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I'll be seeing this game with a fresh look and finally I can say I beat that. Here I go.
My TTYD game is just my completed file + three files that are saved at the sidescrolling Bowser platforming levels.

Edit: Where the hell did Sakurai get the idea to put Ice Climbers in Melee then?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
My TTYD game is just my completed file + three files that are saved at the sidescrolling Bowser platforming levels.
Those Bowser levels are great. I like that's he's always one step behind Mario.

Edit: Where the hell did Sakurai get the idea to put Ice Climbers in Melee then?
My only guess is for their dual character mechanic or possibly for stage reasons but even still, Ice Climber is only a step above Urban Champion in quality, which isn't saying much. I am baffled it took four games to get Duck Hunt in the game. Considering it was bundled with Super Mario Bros of all games! I remember growing up with people saying, "Duck Hunt was cool"! I have never heard of Ice Climber until Melee.

Now I have played TTYD... back in '04. I got all the way to I think Chapter 6 and I just stopped. I don't have that file anymore, so I'm made a new file to get to terms with the characters and the world.

So I'm almost finished with Chapter 1 in TTYD, and I will come out and say it's already my favorite game of all time dethroning it's predecessor. The writing is so much better and more interesting than the generic-ish writing from the original game. The party members are so much more interesting compared to before. And the gameplay improvements are very appreciated, and the enemy variety are far more robust than before. I'm really enjoying the game!

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Those Bowser levels are great. I like that's he's always one step behind Mario.
I'd prefer if King Dad was always ahead.

My only guess is for their dual character mechanic or possibly for stage reasons but even still, Ice Climber is only a step above Urban Champion in quality, which isn't saying much. I am baffled it took four games to get Duck Hunt in the game. Considering it was bundled with Super Mario Bros of all games! I remember growing up with people saying, "Duck Hunt was cool"! I have never heard of Ice Climber until Melee.
If I wanted dual characters back in 2000-2001, Ice Climber still would've never have come to mind.

Now I have played TTYD... back in '04. I got all the way to I think Chapter 6 and I just stopped. I don't have that file anymore, so I'm made a new file to get to terms with the characters and the world.

So I'm almost finished with Chapter 1 in TTYD, and I will come out and say it's already my favorite game of all time dethroning it's predecessor. The writing is so much better and more interesting than the generic-ish writing from the original game. The party members are so much more interesting compared to before. And the gameplay improvements are very appreciated, and the enemy variety are far more robust than before. I'm really enjoying the game!
Are you saying the party members bit just based on Goombella and Koops?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I'd prefer if King Dad was always ahead.
I would too, as Bowser's one my main characters in any game he's playable in. Long live the Koopa Troop.

If I wanted dual characters back in 2000-2001, Ice Climber still would've never have come to mind.
I know, I wouldn't have picked them either. But back then, the internet was still just budding and Sakurai probably didn't think "the game these munchkins come from kinda blows" they were the first of the "retro" repping but they could have picked a better game. You know, like Balloon Fight or Little Mac, but at least the latter had a reboot which gave him clearance to earn his spot.

Are you saying the party members bit just based on Goombella and Koops?
I know all of them, but I'm only recently got reacquainted with Goombella and Koops and they're far more interesting than I remembered. But my favorite is Vivian, she's so cute and nice. Compared to the old hags who bully her.

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
This thread is sooo great. xD Got my Gamecube with Sunshine and it still works great. I played it up until I got my Wii U this year! Totally skipped the Wii.

Favorites were
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
- Paper Mario TTYD
- Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
- Custom Robo
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- Super Smash Bros Melee
- Pikmin 1 & 2

... and this hidden gem.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I would too, as Bowser's one my main characters in any game he's playable in. Long live the Koopa Troop.

I know, I wouldn't have picked them either. But back then, the internet was still just budding and Sakurai probably didn't think "the game these munchkins come from kinda blows" they were the first of the "retro" repping but they could have picked a better game. You know, like Balloon Fight or Little Mac, but at least the latter had a reboot which gave him clearance to earn his spot.

I know all of them, but I'm only recently got reacquainted with Goombella and Koops and they're far more interesting than I remembered. But my favorite is Vivian, she's so cute and nice. Compared to the old hags who bully her.
I'm happy to hear you're a loyal supporter of Koopa Kingdom. :)

I don't think you need the Internet to figure out that Ice Climber sucks.
That said I take big issue from you callin' Punch-Out!! Wii a "reboot". It's a sequel. Period. <_<;

Maybe you're underrating PM64. I found the characters there quite enjoyable. It is the one of PM64 and TTYD I played more recently, so maybe that's it.

Kooper > Koops any day.

(But this is GameCube social. Woops.)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I'm happy to hear you're a loyal supporter of Koopa Kingdom. :)

I don't think you need the Internet to figure out that Ice Climber sucks.
That said I take big issue from you callin' Punch-Out!! Wii a "reboot". It's a sequel. Period. <_<;

Maybe you're underrating PM64. I found the characters there quite enjoyable. It is the one of PM64 and TTYD I played more recently, so maybe that's it.

Kooper > Koops any day.

(But this is GameCube social. Woops.)
Oh, I'm sorry for calling Punch-Out!! Wii a "reboot". I can't tell sometimes, no really sometimes I can't. I still don't know if Ocarina of Time 3DS and Majora's Mask 3DS are "remakes" or "ports".

Oh no, I adore PM64 still. Koops is very interesting, but he stops being interesting after the first chapter. Kooper has Fire Shell and he auto wins for that, and that he was gonna clock the Fuzzies himself if you didn't step into the town 10 minutes ago. I... don't like Flurrie. She's odd, and Chapter 2 in TTYD is probably the low point of the game IIRC. I would rather have Parakarry. And Chapter 2 in PM64 is still better. Chapter 4 in PM64 is wayyyy better than in TTYD where it's just a run through Back Track Town really. Vivian saves it from being terrible. Chapter 7 is better in PM64 since the whole snow theme with the music really hit home with me. Yes, there is a little bit of snow in TTYD but it's barely there since you're mostly in the X-Naut's base the whole time.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Sorry, I had that playing when I was first writing this reply, then I got distracted and I let all 30 minutes of the video play by.

"Reboot" is a stupid word that no one should use. Stick to "port", "sequel", "remaster" (which is also pretty stupid as a modern term) and "remake". I wrote in good detail on the differences, but for tl;dr:
  • Port are like Virtual Console iterations. There isn't anything different, pretty much just a ROM dump. There may be differences in experience but that'd be due to hardware, such as a different controller or all Wii U Virtual Console games allowing suspend points.
  • Sequels are the next game in that franchise. It doesn't share content with its prequel, though it may share assets/engine.
  • Remaster is a graphical upgrade of a game to a new system. Frequently used for old games turning high-definition. It's stupid if used for other purposes.
  • Remakes are bringing already-existing games to another console with new content, such as levels/story arcs.
There are instances where you have ports/remasters/remakes to the same console. This is an example of a lazy publisher.

Edit: OoT 3D and Majora's Mask 3D, to my understanding, are remakes because they have new content from their N64 versions. OoT Master version is also a remake of OoT.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I haven't been using the term "reboot" for very long so I won't say it anymore for your sake Prince.

As far as Gamecube is concerned, I just finished Chapter 4 in the TTYD. Now I'll go pick up Ms. Mowz before I continue the game. I hate to say this, but Doopliss was easier than Macho Grubba. However, the easy bosses won't be happening any more since Cortez and Smorg are coming up, they're the last things you'd call "easy". Geez, I feel like I want to go back to Twilight Town just to get the tattle logs for all the enemies there plus the bonus boss at the Creepy Steeple.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I haven't been using the term "reboot" for very long so I won't say it anymore for your sake Prince.

As far as Gamecube is concerned, I just finished Chapter 4 in the TTYD. Now I'll go pick up Ms. Mowz before I continue the game. I hate to say this, but Doopliss was easier than Macho Grubba. However, the easy bosses won't be happening any more since Cortez and Smorg are coming up, they're the last things you'd call "easy". Geez, I feel like I want to go back to Twilight Town just to get the tattle logs for all the enemies there plus the bonus boss at the Creepy Steeple.
...I'd call the whole game easy if you have a handle for Superguard timing.
I forgot when I got Chapter 4's Tattles. Probably when I went to fight Atomic Boo, or maybe when a Trouble Centre request asked me to go around.

For Doopliss, I required myself to beat all my partners before beating Doopliss. That increases the difficulty a bit.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Superguard timing.... That's when you press B instead of A when you guard an attack right? If I understand correctly, the window of opportunity to perform it is shorter however. And I'm not finding the game too tough, but I ran into a couple of close quarters. The only time I died was after getting Mario's body taken in Chapter 4, before I went back to Twilight Town to get Vivian on my side, I failed to run from a fight and I got sleep locked by 2 Crazee Dayzees and a Hyper Cleft. I had to force a console reset on that.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Superguard timing.... That's when you press B instead of A when you guard an attack right? If I understand correctly, the window of opportunity to perform it is shorter however.
Correct. I also play a lot of Super Smash Bros. and the timing for Superguarding is pretty in-line for some of the timing you gotta do for that. But it's easier since the attack patterns you're reacting to are the same every time, so it's predictable.
And I'm not finding the game too tough, but I ran into a couple of close quarters. The only time I died was after getting Mario's body taken in Chapter 4, before I went back to Twilight Town to get Vivian on my side, I failed to run from a fight and I got sleep locked by 2 Crazee Dayzees and a Hyper Cleft. I had to force a console reset on that.
Why would you need to reset your console for a game over?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Correct. I also play a lot of Super Smash Bros. and the timing for Superguarding is pretty in-line for some of the timing you gotta do for that. But it's easier since the attack patterns you're reacting to are the same every time, so it's predictable.
I play a lot of smash, so I should get practicing on Superguarding.
Why would you need to reset your console for a game over?
I knew I wasn't getting out of that fight alive, so I just reset so I can progress the game a little quicker.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Nope. Crisis averted! Last night I went to finish the tattle logs for the Twilight Forest area and I got Ms. Mowz.

I remember playing the multiplayer on Star Fox Assault. The single player was bleh, but the multiplayer was a huge blast! Whenever I won playing as Slippy, I would just let him keep dancing since it can't go into the next round unless all players ok'd so that was funny troll tactic with Slippy. It's a shame I don't have the game anymore...

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Nope. Crisis averted! Last night I went to finish the tattle logs for the Twilight Forest area and I got Ms. Mowz.

I remember playing the multiplayer on Star Fox Assault. The single player was bleh, but the multiplayer was a huge blast! Whenever I won playing as Slippy, I would just let him keep dancing since it can't go into the next round unless all players ok'd so that was funny troll tactic with Slippy. It's a shame I don't have the game anymore...

Dance to this.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
It's been so long since I played Assault. I barely remember anything that isn't the multplayer on that game. I may order it in the future just for the multiplayer again.

Sometimes, I play Kirby Air Ride. Despite it's rather simple control scheme, the game actually has a lot of content for a Gamecube game.
I guess it's to be expected, as Sakurai himself directed that game. It was the last Kirby game he directed too. City Trial is the mode to play if you have friends over. Nothing in Air Ride is as great as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom