• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Nintendo Switch Talk Thread

Would you get the NX?

• Yes

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

Maave

Inkling Commander
I thought it was a solid launch. They got their "demo" games that they needed to show off the gimmick of the device and hopefully get consumers (and devs) hooked. The controllers as Wiimotes was wicked, I wasn't expecting all that functionality in them.

Also USB-C CABLES HOLY CRAP. Finally Nintendo is using a standard plug for their console, finally. I am eternally buttmad that my DS, 3DS, and Wii U controller all use different cables despite being nearly the same size and voltage.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Also USB-C CABLES HOLY CRAP. Finally Nintendo is using a standard plug for their console, finally. I am eternally buttmad that my DS, 3DS, and Wii U controller all use different cables despite being nearly the same size and voltage.
THIS THIS THIS.
USB cables/chargers/wall-warts are this generation's twist-ties and wire coathangers, I swear. Something you end up having a whole drawer of stashed away because they come with everything and they're not always universal.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Nintendo impressed me. As someone who is constantly on the go, this is pretty much the ideal console for me. Now, all we need is just solid support from 3rd parties, and this console has a chance. It is gonna be interesting at how they market it though. I know a lot of westerners are more big for home gaming as opposed to portable gaming, and the switch just does not have the same kind of power that a PS4 or XBox One has. Then again, Nintendo portables have always sold well, so it might work out. Just depends on how devs want to use the console in the end, and how heavy they emphasize the switch in their marketing. But just the fact that they made a console that doesn't have the Wii name in it is off a good start.

Game lineup for 2017 isn't bad, but it isn't fantastic though. Zelda will sell Switches at launch, and Mario will sell Switches in the holidays. It will be interesting to see how Nintendo handles e3 though. It will be an excellent platform to show off their plans for 2018, as well as what 3rd party games will be coming. Especially those 3rd parties.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Looks like according to VentureBeat there's be no Streetpass or Miiverse.

On one hand it looks like it's not going to be a 3DS replacement, which likely also means we won't suffer FriendCodes, but... then what becomes of the Miiverse? Will there be any sort of replacement social function or arena on the Switch?
Was Miiverse still alive? They pretty much crippled it 2.5 years ago to the point that it was a wasteland. It never worked all that well to begin with. Streetpass will be missed though. I never used it. I swear there are no Nintendo players over the age of 7 around here, but the idea was really neat and in an urban environment would be pretty cool.

We don't know about the social functions for sure yet. I suspect it will be something new tied to the new account/MyNintendo/subscription online system they haven't talked much about. The fact that it has a "share" button, makes me think there's "something" but it could be more likely that it just plugs into Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (eeeewwwww) and (eventually) Twitch/You Tube like PSN does. Actually now that I think about it, Nintendo bowing out of social anything probably makes sense....they're not very good at it and it's an extra expense. On the other hand the smartphone app that goes with the subscription could be involved.

Wait. What if Miitomo integration *IS* the social networking? *gasp!* That would be so weird, ungainly, and so very very Nintendo :P

Yeah, SqEnix is behind it. I haven't played BD myself either, but the graphics combo is interesting. That pseudo-3D look always gets my attention =p

I'm...on the fence about 12Switch and Arms. Like I get why they'd push party games, but still. Arms did however have the most dramatic boxing-game intro I've ever seen.

Grand Theft Mario and Link Simulator tho. Inklings in MarioKart. Inklings in Smash when?
BD is interesting. IMO BD1 was massively overhyped and I don't understand why. It was praised as the next evolution of everything RPG. It had some good spots, but overall it felt like an odd, uninspiring, sleepy little RPG that felt excessively grind-heavy with very little emotional investment that draws you in. It was this weird parade of boss battles and mandatory "stroll around the room to level all the job classes up for 3 hours" grind to get there The hype didn't match the game (and I won't talk about the second half that might be the very worst second half of a game in gaming history....even the ardent fans acknowledge that.) BD2, however is another story. I'm working on that one now and I think they fixed a lot of what felt wrong about the pacing of the first game. So far it feels a lot more cohesive and engaging and the tweaks to the battle flow (with a high risk/reward gamble if you can wipe out waves of enemies in one turn) helps a lot. I still hate the job class leveling up system, but that's FF4 and people seem to love it for some odd reason. I wouldn't think much of a game from that team based on BD1, but I have hope after BD2.

Arms is such a weird entry. It almost feels Sony-ish. It looks silly, but it seems like there's a real fighting game behind the ribbons. The question is are fighting enthusiasts interested in flailing their arms about dual-wiimote style? I can't see that game getting too competitive. Could be fun. Seems limited for $60, but then, so did Mike Tyson's Punchout in the 80's and it's a cult classic. I think this will be cult. It will "fail" but it will have fans that are still talking about the need for a sequel in 2034.

1 2 Switch. Oh dear, where to begin. That that game exists at all is concerning. Going after the Wii party market in 2017? Just...why? that market dried up by 2010. I realize they REALLY want that demographic, but that demographic failed them (badly) once already. Even the game start announcements seem like they're meant for an arcade cabinet in a public location. Fun to play for 15 minutes and put some quarters into....not $50 of fun. The core Switch demographic is buying for Zelda, retro RPGs, and Skyrim on the toilet, and not likely to spend $50 for a party game. The party game demographic is in no way going to drop anywhere close to $300 + 50 to entertain at a party. And it's not a tech demo to show off the hardware if it's not a pack in. So who is it for?

I suspect it's DESIGNED around being $9.99 at GameStop by October. But that still doesn't settle who's buying a $300 console to entertain at a party. It probably should exist....but shouldn't have been a launch highlight. And should never be more than $30.

Watching the Treehouse coverage of it is the best way to demonstrate how truly terrible it is. My dreams will never be normal again after watching J.C. play "Eating Contest" :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom