• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

[October 10-11] INKSTORM I - EndGame Circuit - $500+ Prize Pool - Presented by EndGameTV

BonFire

Full Squid
NNID
rollmops99
also i wanted to know the rules for disconnects
In the event of a DC, teams should alert the other team the moment the DC happens and start acting weird in game in the first DC. This match will not count. For the second DC from the same team in a match, the match will continue to be played and will count.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
how is the map and mode going to be chosen?
\
Halo style and then CS;GO style. It's all explained in the second post.

further explanation found below

SETTING UP MATCHES

Setting up each team's matches will take place over our official Discord server. There’s no fancy items to set up, just have a web browser and you’re set! Enter our Discord server with your team's tag and your player name. If you would like a private room in our server, let us know beforehand so we can set it up.

EXPLAINING THE FORMAT

Early into Splatoon’s competitive meta, we won’t know what works 100% and what doesn’t if we do not try it. Some of what you see below is somewhat new. We will try to address any questions you have.
On Day 1, Halo-styled map rotations will be used. To put it simply, the style means that Group Stages and the first two rounds of the bracket will have their modes and maps designated before teams play. The modes you see for Day 1 will be used in their corresponding rounds, and the maps designated to play each round will be revealed come registration day [September 19]. We believe the Halo-styled map rotation to be a good fit for group play, as it's an efficient means of having a mass amount of matches played. For more information and explanation on the Halo-style map rotation, click here.

On Day 2, Top 8 will be operating on a different ruleset, which we think will take slightly more time to get accustomed to. A CS:GO style of map rotations allow for teams to have some degree of control and added strategy in selecting maps, while keeping a healthy degree of gametypes to select from. The 4 gametypes from a team must be all different maps and at least 1 of each mode.

Because the CS;GO ruleset is a bit more complicated, matches in Top 8 will be assigned referees to help out with the progression of the pick/ban phase. Teams must listen to everything a referee says. Cooperation is very key with this ruleset, but if done correctly, it allows for what we believe to be an appropriate ruleset for teams meeting in the Top 8 of a tournament.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Is there any information on running times for this tournament yet? By that I mean what timeframe on the 10th and 11th should we expect to keep free for our matches? I want to be sure I'll have no personal complications where I'll have to leave midway through.

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
Going to be (very late and) honest here, I think this tournament is way too ambitious right now. You guys probably wanted this tournament to be looked back at in 2-3 years when hopefully Splatoon is still big. But right now, and I'm very sorry if I offend anyone by this, the top teams and the other teams have just too much of a skill gap. Which is not bad or anything, it's just that Splatoon is so young. I don't think there are a lot of teams that are willing to pay money to enter a tournament where The Squid Box, Squid Squad, OFFSHORE and others are obviously in. I can see teams saying "why bother when these teams are going to make up the top anyway"

I get that you guys want to make Splatoon big and professional, but I think you guys skipped a stage. The first "big, professional" tournament should be accessible. We should be inviting people, reach out to the people who may not know about the competitive scene and get the word out there, not chasing them away with an entry fee. The entry fee can come later, when the Splatoon community is much more established. Of course we had Ink or Sink, which was a big, inviting tournament, but that tournament was more of a celebration of private rooms.

For all I know, the tournament could be a huge success, but something inside of me says that the tournament has way less teams competing than you guys wanted. (Which could be a completely false conjecture of course)

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Going to be (very late and) honest here, I think this tournament is way too ambitious right now. You guys probably wanted this tournament to be looked back at in 2-3 years when hopefully Splatoon is still big. But right now, and I'm very sorry if I offend anyone by this, the top teams and the other teams have just too much of a skill gap. Which is not bad or anything, it's just that Splatoon is so young. I don't think there are a lot of teams that are willing to pay money to enter a tournament where The Squid Box, Squid Squad, OFFSHORE and others are obviously in. I can see teams saying "why bother when these teams are going to make up the top anyway"

I get that you guys want to make Splatoon big and professional, but I think you guys skipped a stage. The first "big, professional" tournament should be accessible. We should be inviting people, reach out to the people who may not know about the competitive scene and get the word out there, not chasing them away with an entry fee. The entry fee can come later, when the Splatoon community is much more established. Of course we had Ink or Sink, which was a big, inviting tournament, but that tournament was more of a celebration of private rooms.

For all I know, the tournament could be a huge success, but something inside of me says that the tournament has way less teams competing than you guys wanted. (Which could be a completely false conjecture of course)
There's been about a dozen hosted tournaments so far with prizes. Over 1000 players signed up for Melee at EVO this year (and less players at other majors) even though they knew they weren't going to get top 5. There's a good portion of teams that people don't pay attention still that could easily win. Overlook, Choke Squad, Who, or any other alt/sleeper team.

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
There's been about a dozen hosted tournaments so far with prizes. Over 1000 players signed up for Melee at EVO this year (and less players at other majors) even though they knew they weren't going to get top 5. There's a good portion of teams that people don't pay attention still that could easily win. Overlook, Choke Squad, Who, or any other alt/sleeper team.
You can't really compare Melee to Splatoon. There is so much more to Melee than there is to Splatoon right now. Melee is at a completely different state than Splatoon is and we obviously want to reach that same status. When you sign up for Melee, you're going to an event, an event with people who share the same passion for the game. If you lose in Melee, you can still play friendlies, meet new people, go do fun stuff with people, be in the crowd to cheer. If you lose in Splatoon, well, you can go back to playing squads with your team or watch a stream, something you could've done anyway. And yes, I know there are more teams that can win it, I just didn't want to bloat the text with all of them. Point is, I think the skillgap is just too big atm. Smaller, new, teams might think "is it really worth the $20 to join the tournament". While I think we should encourage these new teams to join (and possibly get their ***** kicked, but that's fine, no one starts out as the best). Don't we want the community to grow? And yes you could say "why don't they just join a free tournament then", well because these small tournaments just aren't as well known. And people also like to be part of something bigger, something a professional well-organized tournament like this provides.

Heh, maybe I'm just rambling too much.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
You can't really compare Melee to Splatoon. There is so much more to Melee than there is to Splatoon right now. Melee is at a completely different state than Splatoon is and we obviously want to reach that same status. When you sign up for Melee, you're going to an event, an event with people who share the same passion for the game. If you lose in Melee, you can still play friendlies, meet new people, go do fun stuff with people, be in the crowd to cheer. If you lose in Splatoon, well, you can go back to playing squads with your team or watch a stream, something you could've done anyway. And yes, I know there are more teams that can win it, I just didn't want to bloat the text with all of them. Point is, I think the skillgap is just too big atm. Smaller, new, teams might think "is it really worth the $20 to join the tournament". While I think we should encourage these new teams to join (and possibly get their ***** kicked, but that's fine, no one starts out as the best). Don't we want the community to grow? And yes you could say "why don't they just join a free tournament then", well because these small tournaments just aren't as well known. And people also like to be part of something bigger, something a professional well-organized tournament like this provides.

Heh, maybe I'm just rambling too much.
There has been a tournament every weekend since August patch hit I believe. There have been several large ones, like Booyah Battle this past weekend (46 teams). From my perspective you're suggesting no one hosts any type of buy-in tournaments at all. Those teams that don't have confidence won't participate because they don't want to pay. That's fine; they have other options. Others will want to and try for the prize. Hosting tournaments that have meaning can also help progress the scene forwards and give players drive to become better. Cash tournaments will also bring in the interest of sponsors (what are there, 5 or 6 sponsored teams now?) or even new players that think they can compete at a high level.

If some teams are not confident, well, that sucks. They can watch the stream or do something else on the 11th/12th

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
There has been a tournament every weekend since August patch hit I believe. There have been several large ones, like Booyah Battle this past weekend (46 teams). From my perspective you're suggesting no one hosts any type of buy-in tournaments at all. Those teams that don't have confidence won't participate because they don't want to pay. That's fine; they have other options. Others will want to and try for the prize. Hosting tournaments that have meaning can also help progress the scene forwards and give players drive to become better. Cash tournaments will also bring in the interest of sponsors (what are there, 5 or 6 sponsored teams now?) or even new players that think they can compete at a high level.

If some teams are not confident, well, that sucks. They can watch the stream or do something else on the 11th/12th
I'm suggesting we grow the community before attempting pay-in tournaments. And a tournament like this would've been great for that with how professional and inviting it looks.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I'm suggesting we grow the community before attempting pay-in tournaments. And a tournament like this would've been great for that with how professional and inviting it looks.
I'm pretty sure that a 1000 dollar tournament would look mighty attractive to viewers and players unaware of the scene. Look at what 1 mil did for Japan. We can only do so much for growing the community. A buy-in tournament is not going to push anyone away. Suggesting that we do not have a tournament like this because we MIGHT be able to grow the scene only means that by the time we get to something like that, we MIGHT have more players, or MIGHT have less. And the chances are, it'll be the latter, and it'll be a lot less.

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
I'm pretty sure that a 1000 dollar tournament would look mighty attractive to viewers and players unaware of the scene. Look at what 1 mil did for Japan. We can only do so much for growing the community. A buy-in tournament is not going to push anyone away. Suggesting that we do not have a tournament like this because we MIGHT be able to grow the scene only means that by the time we get to something like that, we MIGHT have more players, or MIGHT have less. And the chances are, it'll be the latter, and it'll be a lot less.
Yeah you're right, it's basically just speculation. Funny thing, I'm watching the KRAK-ON Air podcast right and Eirik mentioned being scared about the community getting stagnant. And when he said that I thought "hey, that's what I'm worried about too". So yeah, I'm just a bit worried the community will get stagnant.

For now, let's just see how the tournament turns out even though I still have my reservations.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
A few things to note:

1) If you haven't already, please join the discord server. From there you can edit your registration and communicate more easily with the TOs.
2) Registration has moved to our splatoon-based site, over on http://www.splatoon.endgamegg.net/register.php. You do NOT need to register again if you have already registered.
3) The start time for both days is now OFFICIALLY 2:00 PM EDT.
4) The counter of teams entered at the bottom of the previous form is incorrect. As of writing, there are 11 teams fully signed up.
5) As of writing, the deadline for registration is still Tuesday, October 6 at midnight. We will let you know if that changes.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom