• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread 2: Electric Googaloo

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Yep. One sure did. But the main question I have about this, is that isn't Octarians/Octolings like Inklings enemies? Why would they allow Marina, an Octoling, to be a news person?! Any ideas why they would do this?
They'll probably explain how this happened later. Callie and Marie probably wound up being news anchors just because they'd become Pop Idols almost overnight, and Inkopolis News probably hired them because of that. It's likely that Marina and Pearl met at some point and made a name for themselves to the point where Inkopolis News would hire them as well.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Yep. One sure did. But the main question I have about this, is that isn't Octarians/Octolings like Inklings enemies? Why would they allow Marina, an Octoling, to be a news person?! Any ideas why they would do this?
the splatoon devs said that the inkling public doesnt know about octarians, and they all like Marina because she's fresh. So essentially, inklings will like anybody if they're cool. and octolings are preeeeeeeetty cool B)

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
the splatoon devs said that the inkling public doesnt know about octarians, and they all like Marina because she's fresh. So essentially, inklings will like anybody if they're cool. and octolings are preeeeeeeetty cool B)
Dang. What if she's an undercover spy for the octarians and is secretly collecting data to raid and take control of INKOPOLIS! HA HAHAHAH!

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
They'll probably explain how this happened later. Callie and Marie probably wound up being news anchors just because they'd become Pop Idols almost overnight, and Inkopolis News probably hired them because of that. It's likely that Marina and Pearl met at some point and made a name for themselves to the point where Inkopolis News would hire them as well.
hm......... yea it kinda makes sense.

Kimmorz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kimmorz
My only concern with playable Octolings is how they'll be able to wear any of the pre-existing headgear. The best way would probably be to just allow you to equip it, but it wont actually load on your player model.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
My only concern with playable Octolings is how they'll be able to wear any of the pre-existing headgear. The best way would probably be to just allow you to equip it, but it wont actually load on your player model.
They would probably just hide the hair and imply that it was squished up to fit inside the hat. My favorite hairstyle is the hairbun for the squid girl, and the bun vanishes when you put headgear over it, even when it's shorter than the actual bun. So they'd probably do something similar to the octolings, i would think.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
They would probably just hide the hair and imply that it was squished up to fit inside the hat. My favorite hairstyle is the hairbun for the squid girl, and the bun vanishes when you put headgear over it, even when it's shorter than the actual bun. So they'd probably do something similar to the octolings, i would think.
Octolings have various hairstyles, Marina is proof of that. They probably just don't change from the default because they're all soldiers, and therefore probably have regulations and restrictions when it comes to diversity.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
More datamining has revealed more about the Octolings! Previously, "Oct" and "OctBoy" were found in the game's executable file, near the PlayerType variable, but it wasn't entirely known if they were meant to be values for that variable. Now, however, they definitely are.
Additionally, "Oct" is now revealed to be "OctGirl", and "OctBoy" remains. The "RivalWeak" and "Rival" refer to enemy Octolings found in Single Player.

This image has also been found in the game's files:
On the right is the Octoling hair we're all familiar with, but on the left is what looks to be a possible hair model for "OctBoy", though if this is the case it appears to be a work-in-progress.
EDIT: This image was actually sent to the dataminers privately, so it's not guaranteed to be legitimate. However, they decided to inklude it in their post on Reddit, so it's possible it holds merit.

This last bit doesn't exactly mean much in the way of playable Octolings, but I felt it should be included anyway.
There is an Octoling icon present in the game which would have appeared if an Octoling spoke to the player during the campaign. It still has those signature goggles from Splatoon 1 though, so it's very possible the idea was scrapped early in development. My unreasonable side wants to say this is for an Octoling story episode they have planned somewhere down the line though @u@

Last edited:

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
THE TWO YEAR JOURNEY OF OCTOLING HYPE IS COMING TO A CLOSE EVERYBODY
O H M A N
If Octolings don't become playable I'm gonna cry my eyes out, if this isn't it nothing will be.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Right, having an actual new hair model is a lot more convincing than having some minor model alterations. I'd like to know where that image came from and how it was obtained before I start getting too excited, though.

At the moment, that it exists at all suggests to me that whatever design for an Octoboi they have is (mostly) finalized and in the process of being fully modeled out. Given the comparatively rough look of it, though, I'd guess we're not getting anything of note until later this fall at the earliest.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
THEY'RE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE! Well hopefully anyway. I think there is no question they have put work into making them playable this time around, I believe they will be released but we've been burned before. I won't say it's 100 percent confirmed just yet.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Moment I started today's session these fangirls where chatting about it. Setup was outright coincidence.

I'll curb my skepticism until at least November. If I'm not seeing anything definite or official by then, well, I guess watching the hopers and dreamers can be amusing.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I just know that twitter post: .

I just don't see the point why so many people want octolings but I can't complain if we get new gamemodes now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom