• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread 2: Electric Googaloo

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
If playable octolings became a thing I wish we could get a fried calamari version lmao

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Your opinion! But I don't really like 'em. I stay an Inkling forever. But again: I never mind if people are playing as an octarian.
It's also because some people may just like the way they look more than Inklings. Or they just want some more variety.
Or maybe they feel bad about dooming them to a horrible fate by getting all the zapfish back.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
I hate to be a killjoy, but frankly I think this is a load of rubbish. The first game had all this "evidence" and "hype" and people were saying playable Octoling were inevitable - only for us to get absolutely nowt.

I don't believe these claims. I never have and I never will until they're officially playable in the game.
This image has also been found in the game's files:

EDIT: This image was actually sent to the dataminers privately, so it's not guaranteed to be legitimate. However, they decided to inklude it in their post on Reddit, so it's possible it holds merit.
Even if this is legit, there's still the issue of it possibly never even being used anyway. (I think it's fake, the Boy's hair look way too out of proportion compared to the female version, even for a WIP.)

Besides, I think Octolings are easily the most overrated element in the series anyway.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I hate to be a killjoy, but frankly I think this is a load of rubbish. The first game had all this "evidence" and "hype" and people were saying playable Octoling were inevitable - only for us to get absolutely nowt.

I don't believe these claims. I never have and I never will until they're officially playable in the game.

Even if this is legit, there's still the issue of it possibly never even being used anyway. (I think it's fake, the Boy's hair look way too out of proportion compared to the female version, even for a WIP.)

Besides, I think Octolings are easily the most overrated element in the series anyway.
.... You have Marina to blame for that.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I dunno, I kinda got that feeling even back in the days of the old hype thread. It's only gotten stronger over time.

As has my skepticism for the alleged hair model, for that matter. Considering the state of the model's apparent progress... it's just a little confusing is all. Generally from what I've seen, models of that quality tend to be both A) unused in the final game, and B) present in the base game data, not update data. If this hair model is a recent addition, I'd think it oughta be in a somewhat finalized form, no?

I mean, compare it to the Octoling hair we're familiar with; hell, it's right there for comparison. See how smooth it looks? Not just on the curves of each tentacle, but on the suckers as well? The Octoboy hair model looks so worse by comparison. It gives off a vibe of a scrapped idea that wasn't supposed to be seen.

Really, if we knew the source of the image proper, that'd go a long way toward clearing things up. But for now, I'll have to change my vote to a doubt that it's legit.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
The possible OctBoy hair model is definitely not reliable evidence. Based on the fact that we don't know where it came from, combined with how janky it looks, it definitely could be a fake. I posted it because it's possible evidence, not necessarily because it's likely. Like I mentioned, the dataminers all the info thus far has come from decided to include it in their post, so I felt it was only right to include it here.

The main thing that excites me is the change in the code surrounding the PlayerModelType variable. There's no reason for them to update this if they don't plan to do anything with it. Now of course this could be said for a lot of things surrounding playable Octolings, such as the "evidence" we had in Splat 1. There was no reason for them to give Octolings eye textures back then, for example. But I guess I'm just too optimistic to dismiss these new clues based on what happened (or I guess what didn't happen) back then ;p

.... You have Marina to blame for that.
For Octolings being "overrated"? For me it was the opposite. Marina was cool because she was an Octoling, not the other way around. The implications surrounding her being an Octoling were also exciting, like the fact that it shows Octos can be accepted into Inkling society. Just let the takos play Turf, Ninty. They just wanna have fun ;A;

Luminario

Full Squid
I'm really hopeful for the Octolings this time around. With the work put on the Octolings in Splatoon 1 patches it was clear that they at least tried to make them playable but failed for some unknown reason. This time however, they know just how popular the Octolings are, enough to make one of the main idols one to show both octopi in squids living in harmony. We have evidence of both a boy and girl Octo being a player type, and a scheduled update in mid OCTOber. I'm optimistic.

I'm pretty sure the hair image is fake though. The guy who posted it on reddit said that his friend sent it to him, so I don't think there's much merit to it.

the

Inkling Commander
I wonder, if they do add playable octolings... Do y'all think it would just be an aesthetic change, or would there be something else? Like maybe a trade-off of less run-speed but more swim-speed than an inkling, or vice-versa? Or more health but lower mobility (or, again, vice versa)? It would certainly be tricky to balance to make sure no one species is objectively better to play as, but I think it would be very interesting if they tweaked the stats to make playing as an octoling FEEL different, more than just a reskin.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I wonder, if they do add playable octolings... Do y'all think it would just be an aesthetic change, or would there be something else? Like maybe a trade-off of less run-speed but more swim-speed than an inkling, or vice-versa? Or more health but lower mobility (or, again, vice versa)? It would certainly be tricky to balance to make sure no one species is objectively better to play as, but I think it would be very interesting if they tweaked the stats to make playing as an octoling FEEL different, more than just a reskin.
I want to say aesthetic only so people can choose the race they prefer, but going by how clothing works in Splatoon and by that I mean the clothes have abilities and so it is not just about preference, but also about having an outfit with abilities that support your playstyle. Well, that is how it is for a big part of the players, at least.

So I am not sure.

Octolings having different base states would add an extra layer of depth to the game, perhaps, but I would rather them be aesthetic-only.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
That would open up a can of Squid Worms I would rather not see. If the octolings are playable, I can't imagine they would have different stats. Since their SP structures are the same as a player's, I think they would be different purely on an aesthetic level based on how they function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom