Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
WOAH!!!! Europe does Halloween too? :L
Let me put it this way:
-Nintendo UK just released brand new artwork of Inklings wearing outfits we've never seen them in before (yes, they're Halloween outfits, but still)
-Virtually everything worn by Inklings in artwork is able to be worn by the player in-game
-This implies that these costumes *could* become playable through an update-- namely, 3.0.0, since gear only seems to be added through "big" updates
-If there was ever a time to release the Octos, it would be in that same update, unless they want to make us wait 2-3 more months, which I doubt, considering how finished the Octos are

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Let me put it this way:
-Nintendo UK just released brand new artwork of Inklings wearing outfits we've never seen them in before (yes, they're Halloween outfits, but still)
-Virtually everything worn by Inklings in artwork is able to be worn by the player in-game
-This implies that these costumes *could* become playable through an update-- namely, 3.0.0, since gear only seems to be added through "big" updates
-If there was ever a time to release the Octos, it would be in that same update, unless they want to make us wait 2-3 more months, which I doubt, considering how finished the Octos are
It's be kinda weird for them to release Halloween themed gear after Halloween though.

fakecake

Inkster Jr.
Updating/using existing resources to test and improve upon a product happens all the time, it's called R&D. Nintendo might be updating and testing the Octolings for future games purposes only. It takes years to develop new games and with the success of Splatoon, Nintendo better be thinking about the sequels. For better or worse the gaming industry is driven by money (most industries are for that matter) and Nintendo will make sure to get as much profit out of Splatoon as they can now and in the future. Why do you think not all weapons and maps were made available day one? Nintendo needs us to keep us playing, so they incentivize us by releasing them slowly.
They won't put test features into their release build. Thats not how it works(they even removed much of the debugging features in 2.2.0, in order to stop us from looking more into new content(thats not working, you may have noticed)). Also, the update has to be as small as possible, so they won't waste any space with experiments.

Last edited:
NNID
namine753
w-w-w-w-w-what if the update is tomorrow...? The moment US or JP splatfest ends......well, JP splatfest ends in November so it'd make sense for it to drop tomorrow, but it would be pretty awkward to have a huge update during JP fest.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Oh boy, now we're speculating that the Halloween costumes are gonna be part of a future update. This thread cracks me up sometimes. XD

Dude, halloween was invented in Ireland, of course europe has halloween lol
Some countries like Australia don't have Halloween. I kinda feel bad for them because of it.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Dude, halloween was invented in Ireland, of course europe has halloween lol
Welp, I'm dumb!

w-w-w-w-w-what if the update is tomorrow...? The moment US or JP splatfest ends......well, JP splatfest ends in November so it'd make sense for it to drop tomorrow, but it would be pretty awkward to have a huge update during JP fest.
Nah they'd definitely want to hype up an update as big as this, thus they'll announce it a week or two in advance.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I wonder what would happen if you tried to enter Octo Valley as an Octoling...Missions to free DJ Octavio?

Or maybe the Octoling you play as is considered good, and doesn't see Inklings as enemies.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I just interpreted that image as more promotional artwork and wouldn't lead to anything in particular unless there's incredibly demand for them. It does seem like whoever draws these things does it very quickly and impulsively though.

Also, that image of Marie--anyone notice someone stuck a coin in her cleavage? I wonder what circumstances occurred for that to happen.

Guess I'll continue playing devil's advocate.

Updating/using existing resources to test and improve upon a product happens all the time, it's called R&D. Nintendo might be updating and testing the Octolings for future games purposes only. It takes years to develop new games and with the success of Splatoon, Nintendo better be thinking about the sequels. For better or worse the gaming industry is driven by money (most industries are for that matter) and Nintendo will make sure to get as much profit out of Splatoon as they can now and in the future. Why do you think not all weapons and maps were made available day one? Nintendo needs us to keep us playing, so they incentivize us by releasing them slowly.

So for all the evidence you say makes it official, I say Nintendo could pull the plug on it anytime they want. No public announcement has been made and until it is announced, it is all speculation. Hell, even when Nintendo announces things there is no guarantee that they will keep their word (e.g. Zelda U/Starfox).
Content added for a future game won't be added to a current game as data no one will use. You may be confusing this concept with dummied-out data, which is the opposite: Content originally meant to be put in a game but canceled and the incomplete data left in the game because it's too much trouble to pull the data out.

NNID
namine753
I wonder what would happen if you tried to enter Octo Valley as an Octoling...Missions to free DJ Octavio?

Or maybe the Octoling you play as is considered good, and doesn't see Inklings as enemies.
I always imagined that should octolings get access to single player, it would be something completely different, like stealth missions or whatever.
Also, that image of Marie--anyone notice someone stuck a coin in her cleavage? I wonder what circumstances occurred for that to happen.
OH MY GOD thank you for pointing that out, I thought I was the only one who saw it. Is Japan gonna act more like....Japan with the official art work now?
I am torn between thinking this is good or bad.
Good-Yay! Raunchy humor is the best!
Bad-Oh yeah, kids. Easy to forget kids play this game. Heh...heh...

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
If they post a Christmas picture with the Inklings dressing up in Santa outfits, then are we gonna get the outfits in another future update? XD
They posted a Christmas picture last year, with outfits ingame. But if they had new outfits, then maybe.
(yes I'm new I haven't gotten to change my profile pic :P Go Octolings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom