• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Wrong.
I never said, Octolings will come for sure.
True, I would like them to be playable. But we've got nothing decisive yet, I myself admitted that earlier.
At the same time though, clear update-work has been done.
And I do have a problem, when people pretend this never happened or even outright discredit that with faulty reasoning.

My goal was to correct the wrongs. Nothing more.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I'd like to think saying the Octolings may not happen is the middle ground. We aren't saying one way is for sure, we're just suggesting why it may not happen. While a "select" few are saying things as if it's damn near set in stone, and refuse to believe that it may not happen. We can give you reasons until we're blue in the face, but you will bring up the same 2 things you've been saying since October, and we'll just go full circle.

I think it's pretty clear who is on that middle ground.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I'd like to think saying the Octolings may not happen is the middle ground. We aren't saying one way is for sure, we're just suggesting why it may not happen. While a "select" few are saying things as if it's damn near set in stone, and refuse to believe that it may not happen. We can give you reasons until we're blue in the face, but you will bring up the same 2 things you've been saying since October, and we'll just go full circle.

I think it's pretty clear who is on that middle ground.
True that.

But it doesn't change, that BlackZero challenged my "Player ID" thing with faulty reasoning.
What he explained contradicted with everything Nikki and her colleagues explained.
And I did give a basic overview on how exactly that "Player ID" thing worked, did I not?

This is what they have figured out, how things exactly worked.
And they are programmers. Programmers who have modded Splatoon in various ways I might add.
They have experience.
So sorry to say: But I trust their word over BlackZero's.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I do hope we get Octolings eventually, I'm surprised we don't have them by now.
(I would have also hoped they'd have addressed some other things about the game by now, but that's not the point.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I agree that it's not decisive. And Nintendo could've done way more, but for some reason didn''t.
Maybe they don't want no more leaks like with "Roy and Ryu" from Smash Bros?
I dunno.
That might be the case. If I'm not mistaken, the only "interesting things" added in the patches that followed Roy's/Ryu's/Lucas's release were extra character slots, which defaulted to Mario. No sound files, no stage info, nothing. The devs wised up, thus adding to the surprise that came with Cloud's announcement.

If there is any extra Octoling stuff being worked on, it may only be found on Nintendo's computers for the time being. They wouldn't want a surprise release to be ruined by Nikki and co. (Which, to her credit, she did say she was refraining from leaking anything.) That would explain the lack of Octoling stuff in the latest patches—the devs worked on stuff, saw that stuff was getting leaked, and decided against putting more stuff in.

(Oh, and by the way, while debate is always okay, telling people to shut up & get out gives a rather sour impression. I'm no mod nor do I wish to be one, but could you, @Paragon-Yoshi, choose your words more carefully next time?)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I wasn't saying "Shut up and Get Out".
Just wanted to let him know, that he was wrong with this.
And I gave a thorough explanation.

Although I admit I was a little peeved, because over here, it looked like he talked like he knew what he was talking about, when he in fact, was not.
And again, I gave clear reason for this case of disbelief.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well then, if he is in fact wrong, then let him say so himself. If he is in fact right, then let him continue to press his case. @BlackZero, it's your call; don't think I'm forcing you into this.

And you never did answer my question. Is there any way for us non-hackers to compare the two Octoling models (or the original & updated versions of the one Octoling model, as seems to be the case)? That's the main thing I want to know.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
I don't have a problem with hype or wishful thinking, but I won't let deliberately misleading information go unchallenged. They didn't add a player ID. "Player ID" in game dev speak is a reference number for the game engine to identify the collections of assets that make up a character. For example, Alduin's Player ID in Skyrim is "32DB7." Every time Alduin appears in the game, the game engine has the computer access all the assets under the "32DB7" data table and uses that data to render and animate him on the screen. You can actually make Alduin your player character using console commands or other tools much like the Octohackers did with Octolings. Hackers found a way to set the Player ID for Octolings to load for the player character via Save Editor. The devs didn't "add" a player ID. NWPlayer found a way to use what was already in the game to load an Octoling as her player character. I don't care what anyone tells you, a "Player ID/PID/PRID" is not an indication that something will be playable or is meant to be playable. All characters, whether playable or NPCs are defined as "players" in the game engine and the SDKs used to edit game files. The whole "Octoling Player ID" thing isn't an argument for or against playable Octolings.

The more compelling indicators of playable Octolings would be:

1. Updated gear rigging.
2. Male Octoling models, or at least a placeholder in the game data for them
3. An update that added customizable skin and eye colors like Inklings have rather than an update simply adding eye textures that match the concept art.
4. An Octoling skeleton for the Kraken special ability. Right now, it has the Octopus model distorted to fit the squid-shaped Kraken skeleton designed for Inklings. That's because Octohackers are loading the Octopus model, but no Kraken skeleton exists for the Octolings, thus they had to jury rig the octopus model to fit on the Kraken skeleton.
5. Something from Nintendo suggesting that, despite their Japanese name pretty much saying there are all female (Octo-amazons), male Octolings exist somewhere.

Ask NWPlayer if she's found any of that.
No, the Octoling ID was in the game yes but nobody set 2 to Octoling instead of whatever else it would've been. That Octoling was already there.
People have repeatedly asked NW to play as Callie and Marie as well as the Octoling to be replied with a no because they function differently. They don't have the same bones and structure, they were clearly designed as the NPCs and never as playable.

1. Reasonable
2. Somewhat reasonable
3. Octolings already have support for this. Skin/eye colours are just colours they apply to the model. They aren't hacking the skin colours in, they're already there.
4. No. This is incorrect. Nobody jury-rigged anything, the Kraken is still the same just being contorted by the Octopus model. It's still the same Kraken, it's just broken. Yes they'd need a proper model, but nobody forcefully injected the Kraken in with the weird rigging, it just showed off that way. They're loading the kraken as it should, but it then follows the Octoling bone structure (why the tentacles go the same way) which makes it look weird. Nobody forcefully put in anything. I remember NWPlayer saying on the stream that showed it off "let's show off how broken this is" meaning "here's this thing the game's doing that looks broken" not that they forcefully put the octopus rigging onto the Kraken to mess with us.
5. Somewhat reasonable.

NWPlayer said earlier there is no concrete proof in a tweet.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
No, the Octoling ID was in the game yes but nobody set 2 to Octoling instead of whatever else it would've been. That Octoling was already there.
People have repeatedly asked NW to play as Callie and Marie as well as the Octoling to be replied with a no because they function differently. They don't have the same bones and structure, they were clearly designed as the NPCs and never as playable.

1. Reasonable
2. Somewhat reasonable
3. Octolings already have support for this. Skin/eye colours are just colours they apply to the model. They aren't hacking the skin colours in, they're already there.
4. No. This is incorrect. The Kraken is the same model being twisted by the Octopus bone structure. Nobody jury-rigged anything, the Kraken is still the same just being contorted by the Octopus model. It's still the same Kraken, it's just broken. Yes they'd need a proper model, but nobody forcefully injected the Kraken in with the weird rigging, it just showed off that way.
5. Somewhat reasonable.

NWPlayer said earlier there is no concrete proof in a tweet.
I rest my case.

Also @Flareth
What I forgot to mention, is that I was also peeved by this line:
I don't have a problem with hype or wishful thinking, but I won't let deliberately misleading information go unchallenged...
Which, in the light of what has been revealed by Pinko right now, is pretty darn rude, to say the least.
if you want to be arrogant, don't do it on assumptions that you can't be sure are true.
It can backfire easily, as you can see.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
And what kind of proof do you want to see in the first place?
What kind of proof will convince you, if the word of Nikki's pal, who participated in the "experiments", is not enough for you?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
And what kind of proof do you want to see in the first place?
What kind of proof will convince you, if the word of Nikki's pal, who participated in the "experiments", is not enough for you?
Idk, the words themselves? Get off your high horse dude.

I can say Nikki said something. It's another to show when it was said.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet

So I am on a high horse, for asking a simple question?
Strange logic there.

In any case, that will prove to be difficult.
Nikki barely shows her face around here anymore and has been pleading silence regarding Splatoon Datamining for a while now... for whatever reason.

Although honestly speaking, if you don't believe us, this will prove to be fruitless.
After all, you can cast doubt on anything, if you don't want to believe.
No offense intended.

Although I am wondering... Are we on trial here? oO

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
Plus if the Octarians can change form, why haven't we seen it proper in-game?

Oh and I got the artbook a few days ago which I roughly spent a bit translating in google to get the general idea but the Octarians, the tentacle looking ones have a page where there's a small bit that says roughly 'they're not born, they are cut off of the legs of a mother' which kinda cements that they can't. They're kinda the way they are just sayin'... if they're literally the legs of a bigger animal...

Here's a pic of the Kraken that everybody saw: http://prntscr.com/9nxhnn

The Kraken is still normal. The normal Kraken exists within Player ID 2, which is the Octoling. Its bones are just being contorted to fit the Octoling bone structure (when the Octoling is in octo form) so that its tentacles and such go a similar way.

When NWPlayer does the model swap, aka Inkling Girl model swap to Octoling (what is referred to as Octohax) we can see this with the Octopus form, they look like squids because the squid form is doing the same thing as what the octopus does to the kraken to the octopus. Essentially, the octopus form goes in the squid position. Just like the Kraken goes in the Octopus position. Nobody forcefully put the Kraken in that way though, it's just normally that way.

Also i'm far from a pal, I'm just someone who pays attention a lot. Yes I did participate in some 'experiments' but there's stuff even I don't know.

Last edited:

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
As for colours... there was a video on Youtube of somebody changing the colours in the game but I've somehow lost it. But I'll use steam again, they've been crediting people for the in-game models that they made for the source games on there and one thing I noticed is something about colours.
Oh wait I found it!

"for skin color values."

Even in the model swap's case the skin works fine.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16

Here's the tweet about the questionable proof: As for when she said 'let's show off how broken this is'? uh, sorry, I don't have it. The chat was going really fast, it was the day when etika was on the stream. I was also getting really excited and a bit occupied at the time since the chat was going so fast with the amount of messages.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So I am on a high horse, for asking a simple question?
Strange logic there.

In any case, that will prove to be difficult.
Nikki barely shows her face around here anymore and has been pleading silence regarding Splatoon Datamining for a while now... for whatever reason.

Although honestly speaking, if you don't believe us, this will prove to be fruitless.
After all, you can cast doubt on anything, if you don't want to believe.
No offense intended.

Although I am wondering... Are we on trial here? oO
Lol, my gawd. You are so defensive it's hilarious. I ask a simple question, curious on where this was said, no intent on arguing, debating, or finding holes, and you automatically spout off at the mouth.
"What kind of proof will convince you, if the word of Nikki's pal, who participated in the "experiments", is not enough for you?"
I answered, ACTUAL PROOF. I was not doubting it was said, but if you're going to say something as substantial as "you can't do this with NPCs only potentially playable characters" you need to be able to back it up as that is a huge bit of information.

We are the ones you are supposed to be convincing, which you are not doing with your belly up tactics.
You're not on trial, you're being asked to support your claims. There's a VERY clear difference in the two.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
Oh, about Callie and Marie not being playable?
I'm searching hang on, it's somewhere but it might be muddled in between information. Will edit this post when found.

Edit: Ok here's a tweet of someone wondering whether Marie could be swapped and NW replies with that it's not very easy:

I think there was a video where NW said in the description that it only works because the Octolings are structurally similar to the Inklings. Everybody else is a no. But I think the video got deleted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom